Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
'How's he doing this though?
Oh it's certainly going to come at the cost of some offensive numbers from the core. We need Berube at his hardass best to change this culture, I really hope he doesn't just cave in and let the core dictate how the team plays.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Oh it's certainly going to come at the cost of some offensive numbers from the core. We need Berube at his hardass best to change this culture, I really hope he doesn't just cave in and let the core dictate how the team plays.
If he messes with that, he risks another issue, possibly two.

I suppose it'll show up best in terms of what changes have been made vs. Boston and not going 0 and 4 this season against them.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Absolutely optimistic!

For July 1st 2025

(And a little bit to see what the staff and personnel can do.)

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Our goaltending has big potential to hit. Just need them to be healthy but I really like both our goalies.
I guess if there’s one thing I can say, this is the first time I’ve ever been excited in our goaltending as a tandem since 20-21. I thought Andersen could rebound to the top 7-9 goaltender he was prior and really liked Campbell as a backup

Never was sold on Campbell as a starter, neither Samsonov. Completely hated mrazek as an option and despised murray

I’m intrigued in woll, I think there’s something like a 50 game above average starter there. Stolarz was a top 3 backup in the league, maybe he can be an above average 1B, I like him more than all of kallgren/Murray/mrazek/Hutchinson/Jones of the past

Reactions: bax

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
'How's he doing this though?
They will play a more north/south system rather than the east/west style that Keefe used. It won't result in less offense, but it will very much tighten their defensive play. Couple that with Woll posting a .915 over a full season, and a backup posting probably the same or higher in the games he plays, and it will result in the Leafs winning the division.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The optimism that unites us all! Be-leaf until proven otherwise. New season, new hope. Let's go...well, as much as this can possibly go in the middle of August!

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Marner's gonna be great out of the gates and that studly defense. Mcmann and Knies coming into their own. Their gonna be good. Just dont burn out...stay healthy.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Well, that went a lot better than expected :laugh:. Nobody kicked my ass to the street, thank you all :thumbu:. I'm heading back to TO in mid-Sept for a visit and I'm looking forward to the 'talk' ramping up as we close in on the beginning of the season. I'm also looking forward to some cooler weather, damn it's been hot here this year, well I guess everywhere. Anyway, keep smiling folks, we'll have a lot to discuss as this team unfolds, and yes, it's all about the playoffs ;). Keep your stick on the ice. GLG.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Unless Berube can work miracles to light a fire during the playoffs (Babcock and Keefe couldnt), it'll be another similar season. Rack up goals and wins during the regular season where half the teams stink, and in the playoffs when the top half of the teams make it, they'll flame out.

Best hope isnt this coming season. It's the following season after Berube has had a year under his belt to sort things out and JT, MM and any other $3-5M contracts are over.

Then Leafs will have $30M+ to play with and can sign some stud Dmen or a really good durable goalie.

If anyone thinks Woll will carry them to a cup is nuts. He's usually pretty good when he plays, but is injured half the time.

Reactions: HolyCrap

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Optimism, pessimism, I am just looking forward to some hockey. Not yet though, its been a great summer.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Optimism is fine, if tempered by a dose of reality.

I can see the team doing better, but I don't expect them to get past the second round this year. Which is not to say I won't be cheering madly if they do.

I think the team is moving in the right direction, and what happens in the next 12 months may largely determine the amount of success in the next few years.

Reactions: bax

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sigh, yea. Caught myself looking for the TV schedule for the upcoming season, which is surprisingly NOT out yet. Pretty sure I told the wife sometime in the spring that I was done with this team... she called bs then, and is rarely wrong.

TV Schedule so far:
Amazon Prime = 6 games. Only on Prime, not included in any other package.
SN National = 36 games. Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Regionals have not been broken down between TSN4 and SNO yet, but will total 42 games. As an fan who lives outside the Leafs region, this is of most importance to me. If I get Sportsnet+ Premium it's going to cost me ~$5 a game. Not terrible.

I can't believe they are running it back... again... see how she goes I guess.
Agree with the Captaincy change. Does lend to a path for JT to remain a Leaf.
Like the changes that have been made so far, I think, pretty sure I've said that before.
More needs to be done for this roster to be a serious contender, no panic yet, there is time.

My brother this is 2024. Please, you do not need to pay for games. I haven’t had cable for 10 years and I’ve watched pretty much any leafs game I want.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Sigh, yea. Caught myself looking for the TV schedule for the upcoming season, which is surprisingly NOT out yet. Pretty sure I told the wife sometime in the spring that I was done with this team... she called bs then, and is rarely wrong.

TV Schedule so far:
Amazon Prime = 6 games. Only on Prime, not included in any other package.
SN National = 36 games. Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Regionals have not been broken down between TSN4 and SNO yet, but will total 42 games. As an fan who lives outside the Leafs region, this is of most importance to me. If I get Sportsnet+ Premium it's going to cost me ~$5 a game. Not terrible.

I can't believe they are running it back... again... see how she goes I guess.
Agree with the Captaincy change. Does lend to a path for JT to remain a Leaf.
Like the changes that have been made so far, I think, pretty sure I've said that before.
More needs to be done for this roster to be a serious contender, no panic yet, there is time.
Just cut the cord and get a streaming box. You can either mess around with finding feeds on your own for free, or do what many of us do and pay a place or website $10/mth and get just about every tv show, movie, sports, PPV.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I'm not optimistic at all. I think we're going to be 1st round fodder again.

Although I will admit we have gotten better defensively and in net (At least on paper) Stolarz is better then Sammy and Stolarz has been good for the most part in his career with the exception of the 22-23 season. Although he was on a complete dogshit Ducks team so I suppose he gets a mulligan for that year. But the problem with him is he's never played more than 28 games in a season. Combine that with the fact that Woll seems to be very injury prone and that could possibly be a recipe for disaster if he's asked to play more then he ever has so far in his career and he shows some signs of fatigue along the way. I mean. It's either him or Murray. Lol.

Now. As for the D. Tanev is better then Edmundson and OEL is better then Lybushkin. But I still think that we needed at least one more defenseman to really say that they've gotten substantially better in that position. I don't really like that Lily and Benoit will be everyday guys. Especially Lily. And you add an injury to that group and we could be looking at Connor Timmons being in there. Which doesn't instill much confidence.

And then there's the obvious elephant in the room of running back that core 4 upfront.1 of them HAS to go! (Preferably Marner as he is seemingly the guy that we have seen who looks to be the least engaged come playoff time) We have already had 8 years of data to know that these guys just can't get it done come that time of the season and that they need a special set of supporting cast pieces to even have a chance of excelling, and the current supporting cast that is on this team right now will not even come close to cutting it.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
winter is amazing.
it smells nice.
the air is cooler
everything is more crisp.
it's quieter
it has better foods and drinks

summer is satan's play toy.
Truer words...

Not complaining about where I live because it is a beautiful state. But I miss real winters and all that that entails - a list too long to get into here.

Reactions: Racer88

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I just hope Berube can get them to play the right way and with commitment before they get him fired

Reactions: Nineteen67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad