Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Atlantic certainly didn't to any great extent. Ottawa got a goalie who can't possibly replicate his Boston numbers, and they hired one of the worst coaches in the league. Detroit got worse, Tampa got worse, Buffalo somehow managed to get worse (which is impressive), and Montreal who cares because they are so far away from competing it doesn't matter. Florida definitely got worse, and they aren't going to the Cup final three years in a row. Boston may be a bit of a wildcard. I don't think the guys they added will end up being that meaningful, but at the same time it's hard to say that they got worse as a team.
Buffalo brought Ruff back and always made the playoffs under him, Detroit has the best prospect pool in the NHL, Montreal can only get better as can Ottawa and N Jersey made improvements.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Buffalo brought Ruff back and always made the playoffs under him, Detroit has the best prospect pool in the NHL, Montreal can only get better as can Ottawa and N Jersey made improvements.
Detroit may be a great team in a few years, but in the short-term they are barely a bubble team. Same goes for Buffalo. Montreal is even farther away from being competitive, and give me a break with Ottawa. Every year I get to hear about how much they have improved, and every year they are done by December. This year won't be any different. As for NJD, I agree, which is why I think they will be in the conference final against the Leafs (and also because I think the Rangers, and especially Carolina, will take a step back this season).

Barring something unusual, the top 4 in the Atlantic will be Toronto, Florida, Boston and Tampa.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Basically the entire East below us got better.

Ottawa only real upgrade is Ulmark and if they don't play better in front, that will change absolutly nothing

detroit i don't see any upgrade

Boston upgraded at C but get worst in goal and could cost boston some game

Tampa pretty similar

florida are worst

Mtl are not better than the team who started last season

Same for Buffalo

Leafs a small downgrade with offensive group, huge upgrade in D and pretty similar in goal.

Leafs is maybe the most upgraded team in the atlantic

Reactions: bax

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
People forget Ullmark was good on a pretty bad Buffalo team before Boston signed him.
He actually wasn't. He had 4 seasons playing more than 5 games, and put up -5.9, -15.0, -6.4, and -3.6 GSAx.
And while Buffalo overall was bad, Ullmark played behind better defensive results than many think.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ottawa only real upgrade is Ulmark and if they don't play better in front, that will change absolutly nothing

detroit i don't see any upgrade

Boston upgraded at C but get worst in goal and could cost boston some game

Tampa pretty similar

florida are worst

Mtl are not better than the team who started last season

Same for Buffalo

Leafs a small downgrade with offensive group, huge upgrade in D and pretty similar in goal.

Leafs is maybe the most upgraded team in the atlantic
It’s time for one or two of the Wings Ottawa Buffalo or Toronto to step up and make the division interesting.

This year we go to the eastern conference finals and next year we win the cup. Figured I'd try somthing new at the beginning of a new season.
This year could be the best and maybe the only opportunity the Leafs get to make the Eastern final.

Reactions: Hockey 4 Life

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Toronto is a good team, and a good regular season team. We should continue to be that team for this coming season. We will have moments of elite play, and dominate a number of games. So far in their careers, our collection of players have not shown that they have the fortitude to play for excellence. There are often periods, and whole games where they just don't bring their A games, and until that happens, we won't be the type of team who challenges for division championship, or President's Trophy. They just coast too often.

The same goes for the playoffs... until they have the mentality of excellence, there won't be much success.

The major change this year of course is Berube. Can he instill the correct mental preparation, fortitude, and strength, to teach, and demand the best of these players, day in, day out, and for every period they play? That's the wild card that nobody can predict.

We are destined to easily be a playoff team, but not a contender, unless Berube can instill change. With this in mind... enjoy the team for what it is, and don't get too upset that it isn't more than that. They'll be more wins than losses, and a lot of pretty offense. Enjoy it, it's fun, it's entertaining... but this isn't really a Cup contender, or a collection of the people with the right mindset to be that, so don't get mad when that doesn't happen. Could they win it all... I suppose, but it's unlikely, and it shouldn't be an expectation.

Expect to be entertained, and win more than lose, and you'll enjoy this season. Expect much more, and you'll probably be angry and frustrated.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Toronto is a good team, and a good regular season team. We should continue to be that team for this coming season. We will have moments of elite play, and dominate a number of games. So far in their careers, our collection of players have not shown that they have the fortitude to play for excellence. There are often periods, and whole games where they just don't bring their A games, and until that happens, we won't be the type of team who challenges for division championship, or President's Trophy. They just coast too often.

The same goes for the playoffs... until they have the mentality of excellence, there won't be much success.

The major change this year of course is Berube. Can he instill the correct mental preparation, fortitude, and strength, to teach, and demand the best of these players, day in, day out, and for every period they play? That's the wild card that nobody can predict.

We are destined to easily be a playoff team, but not a contender, unless Berube can instill change. With this in mind... enjoy the team for what it is, and don't get too upset that it isn't more than that. They'll be more wins than losses, and a lot of pretty offense. Enjoy it, it's fun, it's entertaining... but this isn't really a Cup contender, or a collection of the people with the right mindset to be that, so don't get mad when that doesn't happen. Could they win it all... I suppose, but it's unlikely, and it shouldn't be an expectation.

Expect to be entertained, and win more than lose, and you'll enjoy this season. Expect much more, and you'll probably be angry and frustrated.

I was listening to this interview on the FAN590 this weekend and they were talking about college football and Nick Saban.
The beat reporter was asked what was different from this preseason to the ones under Saban. He said this new coach is definitely more new school and was alot looser in allowing certain things than Saban. He finished the topic by saying yes new school approaches can be good but that some players actually need to play under a more old school coach/system because it brings the best out of them.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

I think they’ll play a lot more entertaining style under Berube than they did under Keefe. At least I’m hopeful they do.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was listening to this interview on the FAN590 this weekend and they were talking about college football and Nick Saban.
The beat reporter was asked what was different from this preseason to the ones under Saban. He said this new coach is definitely more new school and was alot looser in allowing certain things than Saban. He finished the topic by saying yes new school approaches can be good but that some players actually need to play under a more old school coach/system because it brings the best out of them.
Nick Saban was so successful because he was very adaptable, listened to what was happening around him, and demanded excellence. Saban knew he had to change his offence and when Lane Kiffin helped him transition, he didn’t accept a half assed effort from anyone.

Reactions: weems

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He actually wasn't. He had 4 seasons playing more than 5 games, and put up -5.9, -15.0, -6.4, and -3.6 GSAx.
And while Buffalo overall was bad, Ullmark played behind better defensive results than many think.
I think Ullmark is going to be terribly exposed playing for Ottawa, but the bright side for him is that it won't impact his UFA contract because I expect that Ottawa will sign him to a positively awful contract at some point this season.

Reactions: CDN24

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Good teams are built from the Goalie out, through strong defense ......"

I believe that GOOD teams are built from the goalie out so with Leafs goalies stats from this past season even in terms GSAx.

1724686555182.png

Leafs new combo at a combined +27.3 Goals Saved Above Expected is likely the best the Leafs have had..

1724687315052.png

1724687399970.png

With their SV% and GAA it really leads to OPTIMISM, particularly after the debacle of the past GM that didn't have a clue.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Detroit may be a great team in a few years, but in the short-term they are barely a bubble team. Same goes for Buffalo. Montreal is even farther away from being competitive, and give me a break with Ottawa. Every year I get to hear about how much they have improved, and every year they are done by December. This year won't be any different. As for NJD, I agree, which is why I think they will be in the conference final against the Leafs (and also because I think the Rangers, and especially Carolina, will take a step back this season).

Barring something unusual, the top 4 in the Atlantic will be Toronto, Florida, Boston and Tampa.
Tht isnt what IM saying. Wins will be harder to get this year in the East. Even non playoff teams do win games and all those teams are better than last year. Therefore this wont be an easy year. IM not saying we wont make the playoffs or those teams will but most teams who missed the playoffs are better than last year. The only team in decline is Tamap Bay perhaps.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
As per the title, this is exactly what Management knew would happen, which is probably why no real big changes were made, as the team Brass knew most fans would forget and/or move on from the anger after yet another first round loss.

Sorry to be so negative, as I would rather not be, but bringing in Berube, naming Matthews Captain, and bringing in Tanav is not enough to make this team a contender. I also think our secondary scoring will take a hit this season. To expect the "Core Four" to pick up the slack in the playoffs when they never have is the supposed definition of Insanity.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Tht isnt what IM saying. Wins will be harder to get this year in the East. Even non playoff teams do win games and all those teams are better than last year. Therefore this wont be an easy year. IM not saying we wont make the playoffs or those teams will but most teams who missed the playoffs are better than last year. The only team in decline is Tamap Bay perhaps.
That's a fair point, but I don't think it will make much difference in the standings at the end of the season.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Sorry to be so negative, as I would rather not be, but bringing in Berube, naming Matthews Captain, and bringing in Tanav is not enough to make this team a contender.
The captaincy thing is irrelevant from my perspective, but I think you are very much underestimating the impact of adding Tanev, OEL and Berube, and the quality of the team's goaltending. The team's overall defensive structure and results will be vastly improved.

Reactions: conFABulator

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
As per the title, this is exactly what Management knew would happen, which is probably why no real big changes were made, as the team Brass knew most fans would forget and/or move on from the anger after yet another first round loss.
Of course. They're very aware that this fanbase has very short memories.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Sorry to be so negative, as I would rather not be, but bringing in Berube, naming Matthews Captain, and bringing in Tanav is not enough to make this team a contender. I also think our secondary scoring will take a hit this season. To expect the "Core Four" to pick up the slack in the playoffs when they never have is the supposed definition of Insanity.
That doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Our secondary scoring hasn’t really changed except Bertuzzi. His goals (and more) are likely to be made up hopefully between the progression of Knies and McMann, Domi chipping in some more goals, healthy Jarnkrok, maybe a rookie like Greb or Cowan, a D that actually shoots and isn’t a complete offensive black hole when Rielly is on the bench. OEL, for example, had 9 goals last year

Also, our goaltending being hopefully and likely improved, in conjunction with a better/more balanced D and a competent PK, should realistically also bring our goals against down from last year.

it is worth keeping in mind whatever our lineup is game 1 of the regular season, we have months of opportunity to improve it before the trade deadline. May as well see what some of these kids have got first at this point.

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Should be the year they win the division, and maybe the conference. I don't think Boston's acquisitions will change much for them, and Florida and Tampa both got worse in the off-season. Leafs will have a great regular season and Berube will win coach of the year.
Where have I heard this before....oh yea every year for the last several. Always underestimating the Bruins and Tampa and now the Stanley cup champions?, will we never learn?

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Of course. They're very aware that this fanbase has very short memories.
Not sure if it's short memories or maybe the extended stretch of playoff failure and historic cup drought have led to losing being normal. When something positive or negative lingers long enough it will eventually settle in the "it is what it is" category and the alarm bells fall silent.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Its like watching a movie or a series I like more than once and often several times....I can get a lot out of it over a few viewings but eventually I tire of seeing the same thing. Doesn't mean the series or movie is bad, its just human nature to want/need change at at some point. Familiarity breeds contempt as they say. Your suggesting nothing has probably changed but just keep watching even though you have seen the same thing over and over and over. meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad