Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Optimistic this is the year they can win it all? Ask me after the trade deadline... We shall see after the moves they make and see how the team is playing, if they look like they can win it all.

I'm way more curious about the team this year though then the past few years prior. New coach which brings a different look in play style.

A new revamped D which looks better on paper anyways, then years prior. Potential rookies taking a bigger step such as Knies/Robertson/McMann and potentially Cowan. And lastly the potential tire fire in goal that could happen, or do we get to see Joe Woll step up and finally get a solid number 1 goaltender (looks like it so far, barring his health issues).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No question GM Treliving was handed a very poor hand that still handcuffs his ideal team building decisions today,

However now with a real GM and real Coach and some new players trying to address team weaknesses of goaltending and defense improvements with limited cap space, there is room for Optimism among Leafs Nation.

I remain a realist, but it does appear this ship is moving in a positive direction, and at least attempting to steer to clear of the Iceberg (which is 4 forwards consuming 1/2 a teams cap) which sinks this team annually. For 1 more season that Iceberg remains firmly entrenched in Leafs path to success, but 2025 is just around the corner with expiring contracts and NMC clauses, and the LAST year this will be the reason it potentially sinks Leaf hopes.

Optimism is always higher during the regular season, unfortunately Realism takes over when the playoffs begin. and seasons end in disappointment and Pessimism. But each new season brings new hope and with new voices behind the bench, and a few key additions to the roster that things have the potential for improvement !!.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Ohhhhkayyyyy, that time of year again when the anger and disappointment of our last playoff debacle has faded, and the inevitable hope attached to this love affair I have with the Toronto Maple Leafs starts bubbling to the surface. As regular as a visit to the bathroom after a 3 coffee breakfast. Help a guy out here, and tell me where I am getting ahead of myself, and where I am just plain wrong. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll once again believe that we've got a shot at this thing. And no, I'm not a masochist, I'm just a fan of Blue Swede, and an 'Ooga-chaka, ooga ooga' type of guy. IYKYK...

#1: Coaching. I'm not one to praise or blame a coach to any great extent. If they coach in the show they know their shit. For me, it's the players. However, while I don't blame Keefe as much as some, the change to Berube, imho, should help this team. He'll have free reign to coach as he wants, his pedigree allows him that, and the team knows that this is their last kick at the can. His no nonsense approach should mesh well with the desperation this group should be feeling heading into the season, which I believe should motivate the team's compete level to a new high for this group. I suspect this will be noticed most often when we play teams well below us in the standings during the season. I'll also suggest that this coaching group will be more willing to entertain changes towards young players, especially if something special develops.

#2: Young Players. I think there will be some surprises/hoped for development, from 2/3 of the following: Knies/Woll/Cowan/Grebyonkin(sp?)/Robertson/Timmins, and Liljegren. Minten and Quillan too. Of course not all will make it, but the infusion of this youth 'movement' should pay dividends if they are given the chances to play on a regular basis. Knies and Woll lead the pack, of course, with Woll hopefully being able to compete without injury. Knies has the chance to become a true power forward. I included Liljegren because he still hasn't topped 200 games in the NHL, and under a new coach I think he has the tools to be a competent 2nd pairing Dman. As injury prone as he has been, Timmins still intrigues me due to his skill set. Which leaves Robertson, Cowan, Greb, Minten and Quillan to perhaps force the Leafs into making some interesting decisions. I don't want to overload on youth, but I feel strongly that youth helps a team's 'energy'.

#3: Goaltending. As Bob Cole used to say, 'Ohhh Baby'. A disaster or a delight? If he can stay healthy, I think Woll is the real deal. In Stolarz we've a hungry young talent who has put up some consistently good numbers over the past few years. Combined...fingers crossed, but we could be looking at the best tandem we've seen in ages. Does Murray clear waivers, can Hildeby have what it takes? I don't know, but optimism baby, optimism. Damn.

#4: Defense. During the Matthews era we've always been a 2nd pairing Dman short of being good. With the addition of Tanev and OEL, plus my hoped for development of Liljegren, Rielly being Rielly, and McCabe rounding out the group, I can see us icing two pairings that can compete against most. Maybe not the best of the best, but not a group that is missing the required talent. And there is some depth to this corp. In Hakanpaa, Benoit, Timmins and others on the Marlies, I don't think we'll need to go shopping come the TDL, allowing us to concentrate on a more pressing need up front if required.

#5: Matthews with the 'C'. Regardless of how good he has been before, I think we're going to see a new level from our new captain. My hope is that he'll demand of all greater accountability to the team. I think he'll lead by example, I hope he get in someone's face when they mail it in. This should be his best year in the show.

#6: Splitting up the 4. In my opinion, the weakest of my reasons for optimism because 'who the f*ck am I' to roll out a team's 4 lines? It requires Berube to do what Keefe refused to do, and perhaps Keefe was right, but I truly believe William Nylander can play center in the NHL, and play well. Play Willy with Mitch and Knies and I think you've one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL, period...if you can stay the course. Good players play well with other good players, they figure it out. Yes, Willy will have to double down on his defensive responsibilities, but he is capable of doing so. Demand of him (I'm looking at you Berube, and AM!) what he is capable of bringing to the team. Which of course leads us to JT becoming our 3C. Play him with McMann, Robertson, Cowan, Greb., Jarnkrok...I can live with that type of 3rd line. If I had my drothers: Robertson/Matthews/Domi, followed by Knies/Nylander/Marner, with McMann/Tavares/Cowan in front of Dewar-Holmberg/Kamph/Jarnkrok-Reaves.

Conclusion: I'm an idiot, waiting to have my hopes dashed once again. But, there are still things about this team I really like, and hope springs eternal in my head. I'm also a bit tired of the negativity that dominates this board. I love the game, I love my Leafs, and I'd like to see some happiness around here again. Sorry for the length of all this, folks. Have yourselves a great day. Cheers.
Sigh, yea. Caught myself looking for the TV schedule for the upcoming season, which is surprisingly NOT out yet. Pretty sure I told the wife sometime in the spring that I was done with this team... she called bs then, and is rarely wrong.

TV Schedule so far:
Amazon Prime = 6 games. Only on Prime, not included in any other package.
SN National = 36 games. Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Regionals have not been broken down between TSN4 and SNO yet, but will total 42 games. As an fan who lives outside the Leafs region, this is of most importance to me. If I get Sportsnet+ Premium it's going to cost me ~$5 a game. Not terrible.

I can't believe they are running it back... again... see how she goes I guess.
Agree with the Captaincy change. Does lend to a path for JT to remain a Leaf.
Like the changes that have been made so far, I think, pretty sure I've said that before.
More needs to be done for this roster to be a serious contender, no panic yet, there is time.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’m excited because hockey is back too

I don’t expect much, but I still get entertained by them in the regular season, so there is that. I also will probably be disappointed by them on the playoffs yet again, but that’s an issue for may me, not august me

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nope, don’t see it. This will be another 1st round loss. Or maybe eke out a series victory then get dusted in the 2nd round quite easily. They just don’t have “it”. There’s 8 year of sample size to tell us that. Also, can't get excited about hockey season and summer weather ending. Winter sucks big time. Other than Christmas, not much to look forward to. Hockey season is a slog. Regular season is extremely boring.
And I thought I was going to make the most pessimistic post.

But, yeah, for me, they didn't change enough like they said when most of the fanbase and even they seemed ready, but yet again, Shanahan has reverted back to the "let them eat cake" method and is running it back yet again for pride's sake.

To me, the changes basically come down to Brodie for Tanev. All the rest, Berube (who was not even in my top 3 choices for coach), and the other players are periphery changes; OEL and Stolarz are not going to avert the next 1st round exits, that's the big boys' job, and as many have said and seen they seem incapable raising to these occasions as currently constructed.

They will look good in the regular season, exciting people and beating up on bubble and nonplayoff teams (like most of the division). However, when spring comes, the expectation for similar results is still there.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And I thought I was going to make the most pessimistic post.

But, yeah, for me, they didn't change enough like they said when most of the fanbase and even they seemed ready, but yet again, Shanahan has reverted back to the "let them eat cake" method and is running it back yet again for pride's sake.

To me, the changes basically come down to Brodie for Tanev. All the rest, Berube (who was not even in my top 3 choices for coach), and the other players are periphery changes; OEL and Stolarz are going to avert the next 1st round exits that the big boys' job, and as many have said and seen they seem incapable raising to these occasion as currently constructed.

They will look good in the regular season, exciting people and beating up on bubble and nonplayoff teams (like most of the division). However, when spring comes, the expectation for similar results is still there.
I think you are underestimating the impact the coaching change will have. I think it will be pretty significant, especially in the playoffs.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Very interesting start to the season :laugh:

Screenshot (1485).png

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
As a true sports fan… you’re always optimistic about a possible Cinderella season.

Even if we go deep into the playoffs… we would not be considered a Cinderella team.

I doubt many folks had Montreal or even Edmonton going to the Stanley Cup final.

I bet their true fans never lost their optimism.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
We can have nice things.

The team is talented, if flawed. Just needs a good theme song.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
D
I bet their true fans never lost their optimism.

Your true fan schtick is tiresome.

Actual Fans of the organization want the team to bring respect to the team and jersey. Respect through success.

If you want to collect a whole bunch of people with blind optimism then start a website for people of this ilk. Only true fans. call the website onlyfans.com/Leafs

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
D

Your true fan schtick is tiresome.

Actual Fans of the organization want the team to bring respect to the team and jersey. Respect through success.

If you want to collect a whole bunch of people with blind optimism then start a website for people of this ilk. Only true fans. call the website onlyfans.com/Leafs
The whole true fans stick screams troll who’s a fan of another team trolling on the board to see reactions.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ohhhhkayyyyy, that time of year again when the anger and disappointment of our last playoff debacle has faded, and the inevitable hope attached to this love affair I have with the Toronto Maple Leafs starts bubbling to the surface. As regular as a visit to the bathroom after a 3 coffee breakfast. Help a guy out here, and tell me where I am getting ahead of myself, and where I am just plain wrong. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll once again believe that we've got a shot at this thing. And no, I'm not a masochist, I'm just a fan of Blue Swede, and an 'Ooga-chaka, ooga ooga' type of guy. IYKYK...

#1: Coaching. I'm not one to praise or blame a coach to any great extent. If they coach in the show they know their shit. For me, it's the players. However, while I don't blame Keefe as much as some, the change to Berube, imho, should help this team. He'll have free reign to coach as he wants, his pedigree allows him that, and the team knows that this is their last kick at the can. His no nonsense approach should mesh well with the desperation this group should be feeling heading into the season, which I believe should motivate the team's compete level to a new high for this group. I suspect this will be noticed most often when we play teams well below us in the standings during the season. I'll also suggest that this coaching group will be more willing to entertain changes towards young players, especially if something special develops.

#2: Young Players. I think there will be some surprises/hoped for development, from 2/3 of the following: Knies/Woll/Cowan/Grebyonkin(sp?)/Robertson/Timmins, and Liljegren. Minten and Quillan too. Of course not all will make it, but the infusion of this youth 'movement' should pay dividends if they are given the chances to play on a regular basis. Knies and Woll lead the pack, of course, with Woll hopefully being able to compete without injury. Knies has the chance to become a true power forward. I included Liljegren because he still hasn't topped 200 games in the NHL, and under a new coach I think he has the tools to be a competent 2nd pairing Dman. As injury prone as he has been, Timmins still intrigues me due to his skill set. Which leaves Robertson, Cowan, Greb, Minten and Quillan to perhaps force the Leafs into making some interesting decisions. I don't want to overload on youth, but I feel strongly that youth helps a team's 'energy'.

#3: Goaltending. As Bob Cole used to say, 'Ohhh Baby'. A disaster or a delight? If he can stay healthy, I think Woll is the real deal. In Stolarz we've a hungry young talent who has put up some consistently good numbers over the past few years. Combined...fingers crossed, but we could be looking at the best tandem we've seen in ages. Does Murray clear waivers, can Hildeby have what it takes? I don't know, but optimism baby, optimism. Damn.

#4: Defense. During the Matthews era we've always been a 2nd pairing Dman short of being good. With the addition of Tanev and OEL, plus my hoped for development of Liljegren, Rielly being Rielly, and McCabe rounding out the group, I can see us icing two pairings that can compete against most. Maybe not the best of the best, but not a group that is missing the required talent. And there is some depth to this corp. In Hakanpaa, Benoit, Timmins and others on the Marlies, I don't think we'll need to go shopping come the TDL, allowing us to concentrate on a more pressing need up front if required.

#5: Matthews with the 'C'. Regardless of how good he has been before, I think we're going to see a new level from our new captain. My hope is that he'll demand of all greater accountability to the team. I think he'll lead by example, I hope he get in someone's face when they mail it in. This should be his best year in the show.

#6: Splitting up the 4. In my opinion, the weakest of my reasons for optimism because 'who the f*ck am I' to roll out a team's 4 lines? It requires Berube to do what Keefe refused to do, and perhaps Keefe was right, but I truly believe William Nylander can play center in the NHL, and play well. Play Willy with Mitch and Knies and I think you've one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL, period...if you can stay the course. Good players play well with other good players, they figure it out. Yes, Willy will have to double down on his defensive responsibilities, but he is capable of doing so. Demand of him (I'm looking at you Berube, and AM!) what he is capable of bringing to the team. Which of course leads us to JT becoming our 3C. Play him with McMann, Robertson, Cowan, Greb., Jarnkrok...I can live with that type of 3rd line. If I had my drothers: Robertson/Matthews/Domi, followed by Knies/Nylander/Marner, with McMann/Tavares/Cowan in front of Dewar-Holmberg/Kamph/Jarnkrok-Reaves.

Conclusion: I'm an idiot, waiting to have my hopes dashed once again. But, there are still things about this team I really like, and hope springs eternal in my head. I'm also a bit tired of the negativity that dominates this board. I love the game, I love my Leafs, and I'd like to see some happiness around here again. Sorry for the length of all this, folks. Have yourselves a great day. Cheers.
The thing is most people feel it's just them and their team, but out of the whole league, there are only a few exceptions of fan bases that aren't thinking, this is the year!

Imo that's what it means to be a fan. When the team sucks, you hold on for better days, when the team is good, you beleaf this is the year, every year.

I 100% prefer optimism in my life over pessimism. Much better for you to be optimistic, with a good foundation of realism, which your post contains IMHO

Go leafs go!

Reactions: meefer

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I’ve never been one to not care about the regular season and I hope they do well. I’d rather be optimistic for the entire year even if it ends up being a wasted effort and hope for the best in the post season. Not much I can do to control anything anyway.

Reactions: ACC1224

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think you are underestimating the impact the coaching change will have. I think it will be pretty significant, especially in the playoffs.
It could, but what would he say or motivate them differently than Babcock or Keefe? A hard ass and pushover, he's nearer to the former by most accounts, and we know how that went. If he can be Babs without the BS, then maybe...

However, he did clash with Jordan Kyrou, and he best not treat Nylander that way.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
...Also, can't get excited about hockey season and summer weather ending. Winter sucks big time. Other than Christmas, not much to look forward to. Hockey season is a slog. Regular season is extremely boring.
NFL football is coming soon!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

On my worst day I tell myself: "I can't wait for this whole era to be over".

Then I pick myself up and tell myself: "Playoff futility is better than no playoffs."

Even better I say: "Well let's see what Tanev can do, and let's see if the goalies/PP can be better".

Reactions: meefer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It could, but what would he say or motivate them differently than Babcock or Keefe? A hard ass and pushover, he's nearer to the former by most accounts, and we know how that went. If he can be Babs without the BS, then maybe...

However, he did clash with Jordan Kyrou, and he best not treat Nylander that way.
I don't think it will have anything to do with being a hard-ass. I think he will transform the team's style of play.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I always look forward to a new season , this year like most there's a lot of if's but i do see a path to an extended playoff run especially if Tanev can stay healthy and stays at the same level he's been at . I also think OEL playing somewhere in the bottom 4 will be a good addition .

Reactions: ACC1224 and bax

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Our goaltending has big potential to hit. Just need them to be healthy but I really like both our goalies.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad