Damn, it's starting again, that dreaded optimism.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Don’t hold your breathe, but nothing wrong in hoping…….

Not only "nothing wrong on hoping", there is good in it. It is good to be optimistic, hopeful and positive. They don't have to equal delusional.

It is the mindset shift from "it won't work, because" to "it will work, if".

If Berube is a good coach and Matthews is a good leader, and our need D bring what they hope they can, and if the core four and PP are better in the playoffs, and our goaltending is healthy then we could win the cup.

Yes, that's a lot of "ifs" what team doesn't have that many? Most teams have more or bigger ifs. Every year some team has the Ifs break their way and they win the cup.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Why is it dreaded optimism. All it takes is one good year from the core to win a cup. Is anyone really gonna care about the other years as long as you get at least 1 cup? Didn't think so.

This team has good odds to win regardless of past outcomes and who likes you or who likes what gm.

It's safe to fully dive in to another year of being contenders.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not only "nothing wrong on hoping", there is good in it. It is good to be optimistic, hopeful and positive. They don't have to equal delusional.

It is the mindset shift from "it won't work, because" to "it will work, if".

If Berube is a good coach and Matthews is a good leader, and our need D bring what they hope they can, and if the core four and PP are better in the playoffs, and our goaltending is healthy then we could win the cup.

Yes, that's a lot of "ifs" what team doesn't have that many? Most teams have more or bigger ifs. Every year some team has the Ifs break their way and they win the cup.
I’m of the school “hope fir the best, plan for the worse.” I’m prepared for another failed playoff, but I’m sure they will have another goid regular season because that’s how they roll……..

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I’m of the school “hope fir the best, plan for the worse.” I’m prepared for another failed playoff, but I’m sure they will have another goid regular season because that’s how they roll……..
I feel you might be right. For a few years now, I have felt like 2025/26 is the year. Three things they have to avoid doing this year...

(1) Extending Marner before he proves he can be counted on to bring it in the playoffs. I would sign Marner now with no raise and no NMC, he wouldn't do that though...so make him sing for his supper.

(2) Extending JT at something that is not a deep, deep discount. I like him as a player and person. Being a 3C or 2LW with an A on his chest for under $4M a year works very well for me.

(3) Trading important future assets for a run at the TDL. This is our team, we can add around the margins for 4th and 5th round picks. Unless Berube has a larger more immediate impact than we should have reason to hope and believe we should save out bullets for the few years after this year.

This year is not a throwaway year. We will be good and could get lucky or catch lightning in a bottle.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The No Playoffs At All Leafs was worse. It's weird how fans of other teams spin things to make their pathetic team look alright. Somehow not making the playoffs is so much better than a 1st round exit.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Why is it dreaded optimism. All it takes is one good year from the core to win a cup. Is anyone really gonna care about the other years as long as you get at least 1 cup? Didn't think so.

This team has good odds to win regardless of past outcomes and who likes you or who likes what gm.

They have zero chance.

Tie Domi Esquire

Oct 18, 2010
Then get lost gloom. You're laughing at people for hoping their team succeeds on a fan website. f*** off then right. Your whole life has been zero chance.

Reasonable reaction to the Leafs doing nothing. You would think something would be learned after years of a flawed plan failing but I guess not. Personal character insults are preferred to accepting reality. "This team has good odds to win!" This is the year, guys!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Reasonable reaction to the Leafs doing nothing. You would think something would be learned after years of a flawed plan failing but I guess not. Personal character insults are preferred to accepting reality. "This team has good odds to win!" This is the year, guys!
If you believe that, then it really is a character flaw to follow, bother posting, about a team you think has no chance. If you derive no enjoyment whatsoever , apart from moaning, then perhaps a look inward is in order. The Leafs are a top third NHL team, flawed but playoff caliber, hence a chance. Anybody who goes around laughing emojis at people who have a hint of optimism, that’s not an insult to call you a goon, it’s reality. Stop hurling insults at people who want to enjoy a season upcoming, you’re starting it with the bullshit gradeschool retorts, just reeks of your own securities. Deal.

I love the game, can’t wait to watch some Leaf hockey this season. Go f*** yourself with your lame laugh emojis champ.

Tie Domi Esquire

Oct 18, 2010
If you believe that, then it really is a character flaw to follow, bother posting, about a team you think has no chance. If you derive no enjoyment whatsoever , apart from moaning, then perhaps a look inward is in order. The Leafs are a top third NHL team, flawed but playoff caliber, hence a chance. Anybody who goes around laughing emojis at people who have a hint of optimism, that’s not an insult to call you a goon, it’s reality. Stop hurling insults at people who want to enjoy a season upcoming, you’re starting it with the bullshit gradeschool retorts, just reeks of your own securities. Deal.

I love the game, can’t wait to watch some Leaf hockey this season. Go f*** yourself with your lame laugh emojis champ.

There's only one person hurling insults and it isn't me. It's that problem with perceiving reality again. Some folks have their posts deleted and accounts warned for much less than what you're doing but hey life isn't fair. That's why the Leafs have "bad luck" every single year. Except this upcoming one!!

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Let me put that optimism into check,

It isn't the team with the best players who win championships, it's the team who is playing best will win.

Toronto has consistently run into this issue and nothing has changed in the off season

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Aren’t we here to read and post opinions? Kills me when if your opinion doesn’t fit some fan’s narratives you should just leave the forum and let it become a echo chamber. If those who opine on the team’s failures left this forum it would quickly become a forum filled with nothing but bahs from all the sheep who think everything is great. Which of course is their rightfully entitled opinion, but not a place for open discussion imo……….

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Let me put that optimism into check,

It isn't the team with the best players who win championships, it's the team who is playing best will win.

Toronto has consistently run into this issue and nothing has changed in the off season
If they make the playoffs and win at least one game I think it’s a successful year and worth following. Hopefully they’re not so boring to watch like they were from game 20 all the way through game 4 of the playoffs last season. That was a long stretch.

We’ll see if Berube can mix it up enough.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
The No Playoffs At All Leafs was worse. It's weird how fans of other teams spin things to make their pathetic team look alright. Somehow not making the playoffs is so much better than a 1st round exit.
It’s not one first round exit. It’s first round exits for almost a decade after continually dominating in the regular season. That’s not random chance. It’s just utter collapse.

It’s among the most pathetic things in all of sports. Maybe this season will be different, but we are the joke of the league for a reason and will continue to be until proven otherwise.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It’s not one first round exit. It’s first round exits for almost a decade after continually dominating in the regular season. That’s not random chance. It’s just utter collapse.

It’s among the most pathetic things in all of sports. Maybe this season will be different, but we are the joke of the league for a reason and will continue to be until proven otherwise.
What are you talking about? When has Toronto dominated in the regular season? Maybe during the covid era vs. bad Canadian teams. Most of the time Toronto was not favored in the series. I don't like TOR playoff losses either, but stop listening to the jeers of other team's fans. Other fanbases think that losing in the regular season has so much more merit than losing in the playoffs. What a hilarious spin. My advice is don't buy into that.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

How anyone could watch the playoffs and think this team has what it takes to win the big prize is beyond me. They aren't even close.

Then get lost gloom. You're laughing at people for hoping their team succeeds on a fan website. f*** off then right. Your whole life has been zero chance.
lol jeez...someone sure got triggered.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Rumour has it that they are "right there" and "lessons" have been learned.

Aren’t we here to read and post opinions? Kills me when if your opinion doesn’t fit some fan’s narratives you should just leave the forum and let it become a echo chamber. If those who opine on the team’s failures left this forum it would quickly become a forum filled with nothing but bahs from all the sheep who think everything is great. Which of course is their rightfully entitled opinion, but not a place for open discussion imo……….
👏

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We know the Core.

It is up to Berube and Treliving to provide support to the Core.

At his point you can look at the top 4 forwards playoffs results, and it is same old same old Core 4 at the top.

It is no coincidence that the only player to break into that group was O'Reilly when they made it to the 2nd. round.

If all you have to do is shutdown 4 players (unless that group includes the best player on the planet and another very close to that - Prime aged Crosby and Malkin ;)) it makes it easier to move on.

I don't look at this year, as typical with the Leafs 2 best scorers on the shelf / less than 100% and still took it to game 7, without their best goalie in net. Bruins even stopped rotating goalies and went with their number 1. Alas, injuries happen, poop happens (?Matthews?).

The key to winning are going to be the non-Core 4 players.

If the supporting players are still a no-show we should expect the same result.

The forward roster as it is constructed today, without any prospects breaking through looks unchanged.

Berube has his work cut out for him.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The key to winning are going to be the non-Core 4 players.

If the supporting players are still a no-show we should expect the same result.

The forward roster as it is constructed today, without any prospects breaking through looks unchanged.

Berube has his work cut out for him.
The supporting cast has actually showed up and done their part each year, its the core who haven't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad