Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Honestly, I suspect they match neither and sign a UFA RHD, Barrie or Klingberg.

I actually totally agree, but this has Calgary written all over it.
Jimmy please explain why we would get rid of two young key players for basically nothing. We cleared cap space so it’s not really an issue.

Why would we sign Barrie while letting both guys walk. This makes no sense

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Jimmy please explain why we would get rid of two young key players for basically nothing. We cleared cap space so it’s not really an issue.

Why would we sign Barrie while letting both guys walk. This makes no sense
It's not nothing, they get picks.

They're priced out. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, just what I expect. What would have been smart is re-signing both of them and just being over the cap, but waiting around for bad things to happen seemed like more fun? Either way it will be being too pragmatic and proud to match.

Barrie is an NHL defenseman, who's familiar with the group and will come cheap. Again, it's not a suggestion that he's a massive upgrade, just it makes sense for this team. A cheap Tyson Barrie doesn't have to play everyday

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's not nothing, they get picks.

They're priced out. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, just what I expect. What would have been smart is re-signing both of them and just being over the cap, but waiting around for bad things to happen seemed like more fun? Either way it will be being too pragmatic and proud to match.

Barrie is an NHL defenseman, who's familiar with the group and will come cheap. Again, it's not a suggestion that he's a massive upgrade, just it makes sense for this team. A cheap Tyson Barrie doesn't have to play everyday
2nd and 3rd round picks are pretty much “nothing”

They are basically useless

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Macblender

May 5, 2014
2nd and 3rd round picks are pretty much “nothing”

They are basically useless
Who are you trading when Kane is back? Kulak and are you choosing Henrique or skinner?

We are trying to win a cup during our window and those cap hits keeping both blows up our depth when Kane is back. And Kane doesn’t want to waive

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I’m just guessing here:

If Oilers were letting Broberg go, I just don’t think we would’ve let Ceci go. Ceci made 3.25 mill. Broberg would make 4.5 mill if Oilers match it. That’s not as much of an increase. Plus, Emberson is now here to take Ceci’s spot on the bottom pair.

I just don’t see us trading Ceci if we are letting Broberg go. We’ve relied on Ceci for years and the coaching staff like him (no matter how much fans don’t like him lol) Why would we let a reliable Dman like him go if we are letting go of a potential top 4 Dman as well?

I explained why when you asked. Unless the the team is counting on Evander Kane being out for the entire season Cody Ceci needed to be moved for the team to fit under the cap regardless of these offers. The Oilers were over the cap before Holloway and Broberg were ever signed to the offer sheet. Money had to be moved out. This move let us clear Ceci’s salary and replaced him with a younger guy who played 10 seconds less per game at 5v5 last season and put up fairly strong metrics on a terrible team. A player our head coach also happens to have coached prior.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Who are you trading when Kane is back? Kulak and are you choosing Henrique or skinner?

We are trying to win a cup during our window and those cap hits keeping both blows up our depth when Kane is back. And Kane doesn’t want to waive
Losing both players is a bad idea. I’ve already been talking about a 2 year window and the future being bleak.

Get rid of these two the future becomes bleaker.

I find it very hard to believe we won’t match 1 of 2. Disastrous actually

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Losing both players is a bad idea. I’ve already been talking about a 2 year window and the future being bleak.

What do you mean our future is now our cup window is the next 2 years with the number of players taking big discounts. We have wild forward depth with or without Holloway. Our D needs help and a solid D who isn’t amazing on his offside would be awesome but not at $4.6M.

Trade whatever we need to upgrade our D with accrued cap at the deadline. We are likely making the playoffs regardless of a weak D core.

Long term I think with our cap we have to bank on some players wanting to play cheap with mcdrai on forward and savour/oreilly developing. D we are in tough and will need to hit on a free agent in a few years or just keep trading 1sts + for D as our guys age out

I honestly don’t care about more than a few years I want a cup that’s what matters now for this core and you do whatever needed for that even if it sucks at times

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It just seems like losing both players is a bad idea. I’ve already been talking about a 2 year window and the future being bleak.

To be fair, up until a couple of good playoff games, people were not very high on Broberg. I really like him, but I think if you look at the current two year window, signing Broberg and Holloway to these contracts actually hurts their chances of winning. And yes, if they turn into impact players beyond that, it would extend the window. But it comes down to how confident you are that either guy is going to be that good, that you're willing to sacrifice your ability to add to the current roster.

Also, Holloway was not integral to extending the window. He's tracking to be a third line winger, perhaps a good one. But Savoie is a better bet imo to be an impact offensive player in the top six.

I'm not a cap guy, but it seems like it's possible that their plan could be to let both walk, and then try to pick up a legit RD at some point. That might be the better move for this window.

Thomas Tatar

Haven’t we added four future players this off-season?

I was also of this impression last Tuesday but we just added a winger in the same mould as Holloway and a RD around the same age as Broberg. I give full credit to JJ and Bowman for basically replacing two lost and no longer cost controlled assets with 2 players that are again cost controlled. Each with upside as well.

Less bleak than most are making it. Does it suck to lose these players? Of course, but it’s also not very smart to sign them to deals we can’t afford.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
My guess is as soon as the time lapses for the offer sheets and we officially get the 2nd/3rd we flip them (plus) for another right shot D.

No idea who, but I’m hoping someone good
unless it's a clear upgrade on Emerson/Ceci/Stetcher, not a marginal upgrade, I'd wait and see. If/when the right guy/fit/deal is available, then you strike. I just wouldn't make a deal to make a deal, the guy they get for that second pairing RD NEEDS to be the right guy.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You really are putting too much weight on what people THINK not what they KNOW. The sky is not falling yet Chicken Little.
lol all right then wait and see

unless it's a clear upgrade on Emerson/Ceci/Stetcher, not a marginal upgrade, I'd wait and see. If/when the right guy/fit/deal is available, then you strike. I just wouldn't make a deal to make a deal, the guy they get for that second pairing RD NEEDS to be the right guy.
So your cool going into the season with a second pair of

Nurse - Emberson/Brown/Stecher?

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Haven’t we added four future players this off-season?

I was also of this impression last Tuesday but we just added a winger in the same mould as Holloway and a RD around the same age as Broberg. I give full credit to JJ and Bowman for basically replacing two lost and no longer cost controlled assets with 2 players that are again cost controlled. Each with upside as well.

Less bleak than most are making it. Does it suck to lose these players? Of course, but it’s also not very smart to sign them to deals we can’t afford.
exactly, it's pick your poison, the lesser of 2 evils. By adding Emerson and Podkolzin, while they don't have the same upside as Broberg and Holloway, they both have WAY better contracts, and like you said, better team control. People have to remember, we've already lost Broberg and Holloway that we were hoping for, the one's that would of been of been signed to a combined 2.1 to 2.6 million, those guys are no longer a possibility. The new deals that they signed are short term (2 years) and for almost 6.9 million combined. So, they no longer have a chance of being the slam dunk value contracts the Oilers were counting on them being.

So the Oil have to decide if the new price of Broberg and Holloway are still worth the gamble, because if they don't live up to their new price point, it would really hurt the Oilers' chances of competing for the Cup over the next 2 years. I don't think it's a gamble that they can afford to take. Add in the 2 new additions (Emerson and Podkolzin and their value contracts), the draft capital compensation (2nd and 3rd round picks), and the chance now to be in compliance with the salary cap, regardless of Evander Kane's injury/LTIR status, and the flexibility that it now creates in terms of making additions/upgrades during the season and at the deadline.

It also says to the rest of the team, and the rest of the league, that Edmonton is trying to win the Cup and there isn't room for any dead weight, any money first players, just people who want to WIN. I don't blame either guy for signing those deals, that's a whole lot of money, but imo they priced themselves out of an Oilers team that is trying to WIN NOW. It'd be pretty hard to ask McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard, other free agents to take less to try and be part of a winner, when you match these offers and clearly overpay 2 young, and unproven players.

When you add everything into account, it equals walking away from both players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad