Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It feels ugly with or without Broberg to me.

We still have Nurse and we don’t really have a legit RD to carry him.

It’s probably a negative view but I don’t really know where Broberg fits. He apparently wants to play on the left side.

That's my feeling. Though between a healthy Stecher and Emberson, who seems like is a good skater with a good breakout pass I'm not as concerned about Nurse.

I'm not sold Nurse needs someone to carry him. Rather he just needs a Kulak and someone that's good in transition.

The one concern now is without Ceci you don't have a strong 3rd pair to help share the load while you look for the best fit with Darnell. Maybe Brown/Kemp/Wanner surprise, but that's not a bet I like. At the very least they've got a decent number of options to try.

The defence is odd. The right side has some solid depth, but lacks quality at the top to go with Bouchard. Meanwhile the left side features 3 strong options but then zero depth behind them.

I wonder if they could pry Borgen out of Seatle at 50%? Imo he'd go a long way in replacing Ceci's role.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher/Emberson
Kulak-Borgen

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Okay cap compliant. But then what? Who is our 4th Dman? Trading for a top 4 right handed dman is not easy. I don't remember any top 4 dman that we traded for except for Larsson
You're forgetting Ekholm.

Your point isn't wrong though. It's hard to make a deal for a top 4 d-man. But unless the Oilers know Kane is done for the season, Ceci needed to go regardless of these offer sheets.

You can't just not be compliant with the cap.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You need to replace those players in some manner. I understand the allure of a player of that caliber, but you're talking about a $7m+ AAV extension. Those are unmanageable numbers when you're looking at $40m for just the big three.

Any other big adds would have to start with a Nurse trade. And that just isn't happening.
Depends Holloway if we matched better grow into a 2LW or at least be serviceable there. Podkolzin hopefully 3W. Savoie 3c or 2RW when arvidsson is gone.

I don’t think we will have too much issue finding ufa wingers on short deals who want to play with the big two push come to shove.

Really depends but if the rumour of taking less to win for the big 3 is true and you get like 9.5,13.25, 14.75 ish then idk you can prob make it work especially with rising cap since the Covid debt is paid off and besides Campbell a bunch of our dead cap is coming off.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If you look at it this way, Podkolzin was a top pick as well and only a year older than Holloway. That could end up being a wash. As for Broberg, the cap space we freed up could very well end up being his replacement down the line (using the 2nd and 3rd round picks at the deadline perhaps). Emberson might also surprise as he seemed to tread water on a terrible Sharks team.
Yeah they’ve added two fairly recent top 10 picks this summer, and the fwd group is pretty flush already. They should be comfortable letting Holloway go at that cap hit. I like what they’ve done though bringing in a group of players in that 21-24 age range who could be ready to elevate and find a spot in a good situation. Savioe is most likely but all of Podkolzin, Jarventie, Lavoie bring some size and shooting ability.

Broberg is definitely more important and they should match even though the contract does come with a lot of risk. I think you match and do your best to put him in a position to break out. I do like the Emberson acquisition though, seems like he could be a sneaky good pick up and better suited to the role Oilers need than Ceci was. If he can post decent defensive metrics on that Sharks team it’s probably a good bet he can do it in Edmontons system if he can stay healthy. If they don’t match Broberg for whatever reason, I don’t think it’s the end of the world to go into the season with Stetcher/Emberson in those 4/6 spots temporarily with some decent cap space to work with later in the year. I don’t think there would be a huge gap in results from Ceci to those guys.

Reactions: McDrai

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I’m just guessing here:

If Oilers were letting Broberg go, I just don’t think we would’ve let Ceci go. Ceci made 3.25 mill. Broberg would make 4.5 mill if Oilers match it. That’s not as much of an increase. Plus, Emberson is now here to take Ceci’s spot on the bottom pair.

I just don’t see us trading Ceci if we are letting Broberg go. We’ve relied on Ceci for years and the coaching staff like him (no matter how much fans don’t like him lol) Why would we let a reliable Dman like him go if we are letting go of a potential top 4 Dman as well?

Reactions: Mr Positive

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It makes sense except for the fact that we know that Conroy won't deal with us. They took a worse offer for Tanev in order to not have to ship him here.

They'd do the same for Andersson.
Absolutely, he would rather cut his toes off, but I can understand the Oilers' interest and if they had a better GM they could probably hustle Conroy through another team.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
That's my feeling. Though between a healthy Stecher and Emberson, who seems like is a good skater with a good breakout pass I'm not as concerned about Nurse.

I'm not sold Nurse needs someone to carry him. Rather he just needs a Kulak and someone that's good in transition.

The one concern now is without Ceci you don't have a strong 3rd pair to help share the load while you look for the best fit with Darnell. Maybe Brown/Kemp/Wanner surprise, but that's not a bet I like. At the very least they've got a decent number of options to try.

The defence is odd. The right side has some solid depth, but lacks quality at the top to go with Bouchard. Meanwhile the left side features 3 strong options but then zero depth behind them.

I wonder if they could pry Borgen out of Seatle at 50%? Imo he'd go a long way in replacing Ceci's role.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher/Emberson
Kulak-Borgen
Nurse doesn’t need a babysitter he needs a puck moving defenseman. It’s no longer a matter of does he play better with a puck mover? It’s evident looking at the overall career he plays better with a puck mover. Barrie,Broberg,Bouchard hell even Schultz were the guys paired with Nurse where he has excelled. The only exception I see to this format would be a guy like Paryko because he’s not a pure offensive guy but he can move the puck quickly.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Well Frank just tweeted he wouldn’t be surprised if both are Blues tomorrow. So majority of you guys got your wish.

I will say this again. Giving up Broberg is a mistake

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well Frank just tweeted he wouldn’t be surprised if both are Blues tomorrow. So majority of you guys got your wish.

I will say this again. Giving up Broberg is a mistake

And signing him to 4.6 based on his history is likely a mistake. Lose lose situation.

Lets see what they do. If they don’t match, I think they will make another move.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
And signing him to 4.6 based on his history is likely a mistake. Lose lose situation.

Lets see what they do. If they don’t match, I think they will make another move.
Letting go of a potential top 4 defender who is coming into his own, with his pedigree, is a bad move. Sorry but, any way you see it, its bad unless there is a trade lined up.

I don't see any trade lined up. When's the last time we've traded for a top 4 right handed defender other than Larsson?

Frank is just guessing. Calm down.
That doesn't seem like a guess to me man

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Letting go of a potential top 4 defender who is coming into his own, with his pedigree, is a bad move. Sorry but, any way you see it, its bad unless there is a trade lined up.

I don't see any trade lined up. When's the last time we've traded for a top 4 right handed defender other than Larsson?

Well Broberg isn’t really a RD either so /shrug

North

Jun 25, 2009

He wouldn’t be surprised is not at all a definitive statement. You know that right?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’m just guessing here:

If Oilers were letting Broberg go, I just don’t think we would’ve let Ceci go. Ceci made 3.25 mill. Broberg would make 4.5 mill if Oilers match it. That’s not as much of an increase. Plus, Emberson is now here to take Ceci’s spot on the bottom pair.

I just don’t see us trading Ceci if we are letting Broberg go. We’ve relied on Ceci for years and the coaching staff like him (no matter how much fans don’t like him lol) Why would we let a reliable Dman like him go if we are letting go of a potential top 4 Dman as well?
Plus there's the timing. If we wanted to get rid of Ceci unrelated to this offer sheet it would be better to do it earlier while more teams were looking for players

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My guess is as soon as the time lapses for the offer sheets and we officially get the 2nd/3rd we flip them (plus) for another right shot D.

No idea who, but I’m hoping someone good
That's possible but not likely. I can't think of someone good who would be available, and what quality are we supposed to expect with a 2nd and 3rd rounder, even with our 1st added (which has assumed value of a high 2nd rounder)? Think of the youth we've destroyed in that scenario when you add all those picks to Holloway and Broberg sent out the door. All for what? A marginal upgrade on Ceci?

It makes more sense that we do what a lot of teams have done in the past and have a D on their wrong side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad