Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Kubalik could be a good 15-20 goal scoring top 9 LW to replace Robertson if he's traded. If he isn't traded, then obviously it doesn't make much sense. The Leafs lose nothing by giving out a PTO either way.

I don't disagree though that it might be better just to roll the dice on internal options.

The way I see it is we have 13 forwards if we include Robertson, Holmberg, and Reaves in that group. If Robertson is not an option, then we have 12 with Minten, Grebyonkin, Cowan, A. Nylander, Steeves and even Tverberg, Quillan, and Hirvonen as potentials to win a spot.

I really want the kids to get ice time this year, I think it is the year for this.

If Kubalik or Labanc or Clutterbuck or Martin beats our all of those guys, we are in trouble. No harm though I guess.

Reactions: jaric1862 and bax

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The way I see it is we have 13 forwards if we include Robertson, Holmberg, and Reaves in that group. If Robertson is not an option, then we have 12 with Minten, Grebyonkin, Cowan, A. Nylander, Steeves and even Tverberg, Quillan, and Hirvonen as potentials to win a spot.

I really want the kids to get ice time this year, I think it is the year for this.

If Kubalik or Labanc or Clutterbuck or Martin beats our all of those guys, we are in trouble. No harm though I guess.

I think Kubalik in particular fits something the Leafs lack -- shooting ability. The prospects don't really help there either. He suffers in others aspects though.

I don't disagree with the rest.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is their drafting so horrible they have to rely on PTO's to fill their roster?

Hoping Berube has more courage than the last guy.

It's more to keep your options open. Sometimes a young player isn't 100% ready or needs more time. This is why we have Junior and the AHL, not to force them minutes they aren't ready for. Like Minten earned a shot last year but quickly looked overwhelmed. Gregor last year came in, looked pretty solid, and the Leafs got a pick for someone that didn't really stand out.

Someone like Kubalik isn't that far off from a 20 goal and 45 point campaign. Reached 30 goals before as well. In the right setting, maybe he gives the Leafs another shooting option through the season. This is why you do PTOs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's more to keep your options open. Sometimes a young player isn't 100% ready or needs more time. This is why we have Junior and the AHL, not to force them minutes they aren't ready for. Like Minten earned a shot last year but quickly looked overwhelmed. Gregor last year came in, looked pretty solid, and the Leafs got a pick for someone that didn't really stand out.

Someone like Kubalik isn't that far off from a 20 goal and 45 point campaign. Reached 30 goals before as well. In the right setting, maybe he gives the Leafs another shooting option through the season. This is why you do PTOs.

Kind of tells you Leafs scouting isn't very good.
Marlies seem to be where they top out.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I know it's just a PTO and no commitment, but who's spot in the lineup with a Kubalik or Labanc take. We have enough of our own guys fighting for spots. Let's give them a chance to win them.
Depends on how well they play.

If they sign, it'll be for the league minimum, so they could be anywhere from the second line filling in if there are injuries or healthy scratches.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think Kubalik in particular fits something the Leafs lack -- shooting ability. The prospects don't really help there either. He suffers in others aspects though.

I don't disagree with the rest.
You could have a "tense" issue in that Kubalik HAD shooting ability. He was pretty crap last year. I guess a PTO is a way to see if he still has it.

Depends on how well they play.

If they sign, it'll be for the league minimum, so they could be anywhere from the second line filling in if there are injuries or healthy scratches.
i get that. My question was poorly worded. Which of the young guys do we not give a chance to because we went vet on PTO.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You could have a "tense" issue in that Kubalik HAD shooting ability. He was pretty crap last year. I guess a PTO is a way to see if he still has it.

i get that. My question was poorly worded. Which of the young guys do we not give a chance to because we went vet on PTO.
It's not really about giving them a chance; the PTO guys would have to play their way on to the team.

There's 8 pre-season games to find out.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I posted this in Around the League.. but it kind of applies here too. I'm not sure how much management wants to add to our goalie prospects, or has the stomach to go with two young guys as the main guys, but he certainly has the background to be an elite goalie. That being said, Hildeby had a better save percentage last year, behind a poorer team.

What would you pay for Askarov?

View attachment 901880

I would wonder if he would be willing to play here because being a marlie is better.

I don’t see him being on an nhl roster this year and his path here would be clearer

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd like to invest in the future, and that might mean a prospect not as good today as a PTO, but better tomorrow than that PTO who has already topped out.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's not really about giving them a chance; the PTO guys would have to play their way on to the team.

There's 8 pre-season games to find out.
There always seems to be not enough games to.ger a good look at the bubble guys. I am Ok with a PTO, but I am considering A. Nylander to be one already.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

That's why he's in PTO territory, or at least it looks to be heading that way. He was bad last year, but the years before he seemed like a decent mid line winger.

I'll be honest, every PTO candidate are in that category for a reason.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kind of tells you Leafs scouting isn't very good.
Marlies seem to be where they top out.

Developing a player isn't linear or simple. Sometimes it's about long-term projectability moreso than immediate need. Cowan could probably play next year, but is it better to play 8-13 minutes, or 25+ minutes in Junior? Everyone will have their own bias and opinion on it.

Say someone like Kubalik comes in and plays very well. You found a cheap player that gives you ~40 points on a league min-ish deal. Isn't that a good thing? Why does it have to be about the quality of the drafts?

If training camp finishes and say Cowan was amazing and deserves a shot... you let Kubalik walk and keep the younger guy. Seems rather simple.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Kubalik could be ok filler for regular season but not what this team needs to succeed in postseason. I would take Tanner Pearson on a PTO over him.

Reactions: SprDaVE

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Crosby 8.7, Malkin 6.1 & Karlsson 11.5 to Toronto for Tavares 11, Marner 10.9 Liljegren 3, Kampf 2.4, Jarncrock 2.1, Niemela ELC, Minten ELC & a 1st Rd pick in 2026, 2027 & 2028.
not draft lottery protected picks. Pittsburgh does a sign & trade with both Tavares & Marner. Pittsburgh eats half of Karlsson contract. Leafs get Karlsson for 3 seasons @ 5.75. Pittsburgh can then choose to trade any assets acquired.
Leafs save approximately 8 million - cost of signing Robertson Leafs would still have cap space. Particularly useful if the goaltending isn't working out, or possibly a depth signing for league minimum like a JVR or Pacioretty. Robertson & McCabe could also be packaged in a trade.

Knies Matthews Domi
A. Nylander Crosby W. Nylander
Robertson Malkin Cowan
McMann Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL Karlsson
Benoit McCabe
Timmins

Woll Stolarz
That's way too much to give up just to get rid of JT and Mitch. :sarcasm:

At this point, Crosby and Malkin are barely worth a 1st each, and if we have to take Karlsson it drops to one 1st and maybe a second for the three of them.

• Haha
Reactions: Frostitute

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
That's why he's in PTO territory, or at least it looks to be heading that way. He was bad last year, but the years before he seemed like a decent mid line winger.

I'll be honest, every PTO candidate are in that category for a reason.

Exactly. We already have Alex Nylander basically filling that role for us in camp. This is why I don't like to see too many PTOs. Maybe we want Alex to get into four games in pre season. All of the kids and Marlies too. Maybe Willy moves to C and we want him to play 3 or 4 games. We don't want a PTO we have little interest in eating those opportunities.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Passing on Broberg makes perfect sense... he's not worth 4.6M at all. They almost agreed to a 2 year 1.1M deal before the offer sheet.

They have ~2M of cap space even with Kane not on LTIR. I wonder if they go after someone like Robertson or maybe go after a solid D since they are pretty thin there?

They have 13 roster forwards, plus Podkolzin.

They have 6 signed NHL level D, plus Troy Stecher.

They definitely need a D.... the guys left as UFA include Klingberg, D'Angelo, Shattenkirk...or maybe a trade, or hope to make a waiver claim. But they need to add to their D for sure.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Interesting that they turned around and did a trade with each other after? Fischer is a prospect D, playing at Norte Dame. 2023 5th round pick.

""

Last edited:
Reactions: Duffman955

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I love this for the Blues. Imo if be more than fine with teams slightly overpaying guys if it means they can poach talent like that.

More offer sheets next year please

Surprised they were willing to move off those two, but especially Broberg and then trading Ceci.

They must have something else in mind.

2nd. and 3rd. rounders, might be a boat or two there.

He looked really good, was probably their best in the minors, but he did want to be moved.

Time will tell, but Leafs know how expensive it is to rent middle pair defenders every other fricken year.

My guess in 2 years we know if Blues just scored another Steen for Stempniak ...

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
PTO's for both Clutterbuck and Martin seem redundant unless Toronto plans on trading away Reaves (2years, 1.35m) and signing one of Martin/Clutterbuck to 1 year deals at 775k, as they all do the same job and want to save some money.

I'd like to see Toronto target some goal scoring ability for PTOs that you can sign/use for depth in season instead of 4th liners that you know won't bring u any scoring ability, players such as JvR/Patcioretty/Wheeler/Hoffman/Johnsson/Khubalik/Leblanc/Pearson/

Reactions: Skullz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad