Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I do kinda like this for the Habs because it’s only this coming season and the next but Laine is beyond damaged goods, with a long injury history and the PA assistance program, and he’s going into a high pressure market.

I suppose the second, which is a nice get for them, is because CBJ didn’t retain. How a guy who got 40 goals and 70 points once gets 9 is beyond me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I do kinda like this for the Habs because it’s only this coming season and the next but Laine is beyond damaged goods, with a long injury history and the PA assistance program, and he’s going into a high pressure market.

I suppose the second, which is a nice get for them, is because CBJ didn’t retain. How a guy who got 40 goals and 70 points once gets 9 is beyond me.

The Laine deal is kind of par for course for a rebuilder. Grab a name player from a few seasons back for a “song” only to realize why they’re in the bargain bin later.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
interesting timing.
Guy reports on PTO’s and possible Jarnkrok/Kampf trades.
CBJ presumably clears some cap.
I don’t mind moving on from Kampf/Jarnkrok, but if they bring something back. And backfilling with Clutterbuck for one spot would be fine.
The only outstanding matters look to be NickRob and Steeves (wonder what’s going on there?)….maybe there’s a connection where clearing a bit of cap makes another move easier?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the rumour is likely true as far as the PTO's go. Martin and Clutterbuck are both from Ontario and at the tail end of their careers. It's possible that this is the final year for each of them. They both have been coached by Lane Lambert for several years in a row. Lambert will run the PK and Clutterbuck is solid in that area.

I only went back a couple of years but Clutterbuck was 5th in the league in hits last season. Martin was 5th in the league for hits the year before.

I think Martin would be a good AHL contract like Clifford is. The Marlies would be pretty tough with those two. I see a spot for Clutterbuck on an NHL deal. He can step in on a cheap one year contract at or under 875K if Robertson holds out. Even if Robertson does come back in or early in the season, they could waive Reaves to make space. If he is claimed, they would have Martin and Clifford sitting there on AHL deals, in theory they could both be signed to NHL deals if Reaves was claimed and they could be rotated up and down as needed from the AHL.

I think Robertson could be traded or poached via offersheet or Reaves waived to help Clutterbuck fit in the event of full health for day #1.

Who knows what Martin and Clutterbuck would be brought here for. The organization just re-signed Kyle Clifford and lost Rich Clune to retirement.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The Laine deal is kind of par for course for a rebuilder. Grab a name player from a few seasons back for a “song” only to realize why they’re in the bargain bin later.

It could end up working for them, maybe Laine rebounds and becomes a 40-30-70 guy again, which seems to be his ceiling, with 25 of those goals coming in two randomly assigned 10 game stretches of the season and at least one 4-goal game.

But then what? Laine doesn’t strike me as the type to give a hometown discount or even to take the same ticket. You trade him to a team that can afford to give him 10, but it’s a complete gamble because he’s physically and mentally weak.

Only thing certain is that he’s probably going to light us up a few times.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
What about flyer on a Kevin Labank. Give him a PTO. No idea what happened to him, he’s still only 28 and had 55+ points have a decade ago.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Matthews/Laine bickering aside.

He's a good player who may still be able to score 50 in a season. But it is quite interesting that the two who were picked after Matthews have been moved in soft trades.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What about flyer on a Kevin Labank. Give him a PTO. No idea what happened to him, he’s still only 28 and had 55+ points have a decade ago.

Yeah, him or Kubalik for me.

It makes sense. It just depends what happens with Robertson. If he's traded, inviting a Labanc or Kukalik to fill a top 9 LW hole could be ok on a PTO to see if they can mesh. Labanc is a right handed RW though so might not be a great fit already.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Matthews/Laine bickering aside.

He's a good player who may still be able to score 50 in a season. But it is quite interesting that the two who were picked after Matthews have been moved in soft trades.

Aside from Matthews that 2016 top five is a giant meme.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Laine trade strikes me more as setting the Habs up for a future tdl deal or maybe they're getting the option to test drive a guy before a longer term deal

Worth noting Tre did go out of his way to say that the always still have some tinkering to do,.which leaves open the option for some trades and movement before the season

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's worth MTL's while to have acquired Laine for the price they did considering they had the cap space available to do so. Realistically, expectations on a team and player level can only be so grand given the situation (read: standings) and time left on the contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I know it's just a PTO and no commitment, but who's spot in the lineup with a Kubalik or Labanc take. We have enough of our own guys fighting for spots. Let's give them a chance to win them.

Kubalik could be a good 15-20 goal scoring top 9 LW to replace Robertson if he's traded. If he isn't traded, then obviously it doesn't make much sense. The Leafs lose nothing by giving out a PTO either way.

I don't disagree though that it might be better just to roll the dice on internal options. Someone should be able to shine and do well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad