Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Martin is pretty well past cooked at this point. He wouldn't even be able to push Reaves out of the lineup, let alone anyone else. Clutterbuck, on the other hand, I think still has something left.

Reactions: fahad203

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Personally I'd stay away from both. We have enough scoring problems in the bottom 6 as it is.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Cal Clutterbuck is someone i mentioned few pages ago as a PTO candidate. Dude played all 82 games last season, which is a surprise given the brand of hockey he plays. Berube style of player

Matt Martin on the other hand is completely washed and most likely should retire. Hard pass

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I posted this in Around the League.. but it kind of applies here too. I'm not sure how much management wants to add to our goalie prospects, or has the stomach to go with two young guys as the main guys, but he certainly has the background to be an elite goalie. That being said, Hildeby had a better save percentage last year, behind a poorer team.

What would you pay for Askarov?

1724088174156.png

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'd have no interest in Martin. Clutterbuck under 1 mill would interest me. That's assuming someone like Jarnkrok is out and you use his 2.1 to sign Clutterbuck and another player with some offensive upside.

Reactions: OVO16

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Clutterbuck is probably the best PTO candidate out there. I think he is the only one they should make room for. He is the only guy from my pre-frenzy list that I would have been happy with on day #1.

Martin would probably be a lot more useful in the AHL. Clifford has been real good for the Marlies. It has the potential to be a really good minor league signing if Martin can provide a similar impact for them. It might not hurt Clifford to have some back up in terms of having another willing combatant to help defend guys like Minten.

If Hakanpaa is too dinged up to sign. They could still bring in guys like Klingberg, Shattenkirk or Tinordi to compete with Timmins and Myers for the #7 role in camp.

Reactions: OVO16

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Askarov is overrated in my opinion and far from a sure thing. Thankfully, we are not good trading partners with Nashville.

Matt Martin is washed and has no role with TO.

If we can move Kampf, I would consider Clutterbuck for sure at under a million.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Leafs made their bed when they extended Woll and signed Stolarz

Askarov doesn’t want to be in the AHL or blocked in his career path.

And that’s assuming they can get a reasonable cost for him. There are many teams with a spot and assets that could easily make a play

Reactions: Menzinger

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Clutterbuck can play on the Leafs' 4th line.

Martin probably ends up like Rich Clune. High paid Marlie to work this the kids.

Reactions: LeafChief

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm going to post it below for context, but more context everyone in this thread should know is that the guy who posted this rumour has only proven himself to be legit so far when it comes to Jays stuff. We have no idea how reliable or not his sources are when it comes to the Leafs, and a lot of people are assuming his Leafs stuff is legit just because his Jays stuff is.

He also said this before the draft and offseason about Marner, which to this point he hasn't been proven right or wrong yet, but considering it looks like Marner won't be traded before camp he's looking closer to right than wrong at the moment. At the time he said this he was zagging against a lot of trade smoke.

God I pray that this man is wrong. I don't mind Clutterbuck but if we're giving Martin a PTO while trading players who actually have some use like Robertson, Kampf, Jarnkrok etc to make room then at this point this franchise is completely cooked if it wasn't already.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
it’s been sort of boring and even all the signings have been fairly conservative. I would like some sort of gamble for some intrigue going into camp. And I don’t consider Alex Nylander a legitimate gamble.

Some sort of low level trade gamble like the Oil taking a shot Podkolzin.

Maybe leaving room for it to happen on waiver wire in camp.

Reactions: Kelly

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Clutterbuck for under 1m is a safe add.

Dewar - Kampf - Clutterbuck/Reaves

Can enter a rotation with Reaves for the 4th line RW slot when Reavo inevitably gets scratched down the stretch.

Can PK, high hit output, and durable. That line is not producing regardless of if you stick an offensively minded guy on that RW or not. It’s a cardio line.

One weakness of this forward group is the lack of PK options.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Clutterbuck still has a bit of juice in him still
Unless we are dumping Reaves and Kampf and getting cheaper with Dewar/Clutterbuck I don't see the need. We need to get younger and faster in the bottom 6. Ideally you get these guys when they're 23/24 years old and they have the legs to also chip in a bit of offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad