Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd pass at anything more than 3.5m. His skating, puck handling are already declining and he gets most of his points on the PP. If JT does not want to move his family he has to give the Leafs a sweetheart deal if I am the GM. Honestly, I'd rather have a Bertuzzi or Debrusk at the same cap hit.

Personally I'd be okay with him back at the deal, but once the aav gets too high I'd stop being interested.

Regardless of how I feel about it, I think he'll extend for about 5-6 years for about 22 million

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I think he'd think about it, and probably at least test free agency to see what other offers were out there.
Yeah if he's open to leaving Toronto and playing for another team that changes things. From what I heard he ain't going anywhere, just speculation.

What do you think he's worth to Toronto specifically over the next few years? Presumably 3C for most if not all. I'd peg that at 5Mx3 max, and if they keep Marner, probably they are comfortable squeezing him further or moving on.

Just seems it's a lot more important to JT than the Leafs that he continues playing here. So it will be very friendly.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
But why do we need to pay JT? Not like he won anything with us? Give him a fair contract which is pretty much the ROR contract unless he has a season like Marchessault then it will be a bit higher or let him walk.

Because he's a good player? And I think we all want a fair contract... but people are advocating for much lower than fair.

ROR isn't a better player and certainly hasn't produced more. But I think we're all expecting somewhere between 5M and 6M anyway.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Centre market for UFA's is thin next year by the looks of it too...

Who knows how it'll shape up but depending on how ambitious the Leafs are and how attractive they look guys like Leon Draisaitl, Sidney Crosby, Claude Giroux, Sam Bennett, Yanni Gourde are available as of right now. You could get some shopping done at different price points. I don't know how much C Rantanen and Nelson play too. But $11 million as a starting point is a lot to work with. It might end up being John, but it doesn't have to be.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Because he's a good player? And I think we all want a fair contract... but people are advocating for much lower than fair.

ROR isn't a better player and certainly hasn't produced more. But I think we're all expecting somewhere between 5M and 6M anyway.
But what if Toronto doesn't want to pay that much for JT, and JT only wants to play in Toronto. Who is supposed to give?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
But what if Toronto doesn't want to pay that much for JT, and JT only wants to play in Toronto. Who is supposed to give?

Tavares won't have a problem finding work and the Leafs want to keep him. Are we supposed to pretend he'll take league minimum because that's all he wants is to play in Toronto?

Like I get the idea but I just find it hard to believe he'll take way under whatever he should get. But hey, we'll see.

Reactions: LeafEgo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs trade Marner, Robertson, Liljegren, 1st (2026)

Anaheim trade Carlsson, Zellweger, Gibson, Killorn

Killorn(6.25)/Matthews(13.5)/Nylander(11.5)
Knies(1)/Carlsson(1)/Cowan(1)
Domi(3.75)/Tavares(11)/Jarnkrok(2)
McMann(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35), Holmberg(1)

Reilly(7.5)/Tanev(4.5)
Zellweger(1)/McCabe(2)
OEL(3.5)/Benoit(1)
*Hakanpaa(1.5)

Gibson (6.5)
Stolarz (2.5)
Woll (1)

Total = 88.85

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
You think Tavares is bad wait till you see Malkin
Tavares currently a 2nd line C & should be playing 3rd line if the team has Stanley Cup aspirations, notice I have Malkin as 3rd line C he had 2 more points than Tavares last season.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Knies Matthews Domi
A. Nylander Crosby W. Nylander
Robertson Malkin Cowan
McMann Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL Karlsson
Benoit McCabe
Timmins

Woll Stolarz

Vs

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Jarncrock
Dewar Kampf Holmberg
Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljegren
Timmins

Woll Stolarz

Which line up is clearly better ?

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Knies Matthews Domi
A. Nylander Crosby W. Nylander
Robertson Malkin Cowan
McMann Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL Karlsson
Benoit McCabe
Timmins

Woll Stolarz

Vs

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann Tavares Nylander
Robertson Domi Jarncrock
Dewar Kampf Holmberg
Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljegren
Timmins

Woll Stolarz

Which line up is clearly better ?
Where it is noticeable is in the speed of the forward group, in the first line up 1st line is close in speed with Domi vs Marner. No question Marner the more skilled player. Certainly Domi as a playmaker also gelled well with Matthews. The difference is speed of the 2nd & 3rd lines : A. Nylander, Crosby, Malkin, Cowan vs McMann, Domi, Tavares, Jarncrock. In both groups Robertson & W. Nylander are part of the roster. Not a huge difference in size between the two groups, noticeable difference in skating & speed. The team is that much better because of those changes.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Where it is noticeable is in the speed of the forward group, in the first line up 1st line is close in speed with Domi vs Marner. No question Marner the more skilled player. Certainly Domi as a playmaker also gelled well with Matthews. The difference is speed of the 2nd & 3rd lines : A. Nylander, Crosby, Malkin, Cowan vs McMann, Domi, Tavares, Jarncrock. In both groups Robertson & W. Nylander are part of the roster. Not a huge difference in size between the two groups, noticeable difference in skating & speed. The team is that much better because of those changes.
As far as Defense would take Karlsson over McCabe on 2nd pairing & would take McCabe on 3rd pairing over Liljegren.

OEL with Karlsson could resemble something that looks like Seabrook & Keith.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
As far as Defense would take Karlsson over McCabe on 2nd pairing & would take McCabe on 3rd pairing over Liljegren.

OEL with Karlsson could resemble something that looks like Seabrook & Keith.
McMann & Domi off course are part of both groups but not playing on the 2nd or 3rd line with the additions of Crosby, A Nylander, Malkin & Cowan to the middle 6. Domi bumped to 1st line, McMann bumped to 4 the line.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Certainly a strength of Edmonton is their speed & skill with McDavid, Draisitil & Henrique vs Matthews, Tavares, Domi or Matthews, Crosby & Malkin. The latter top 3 C's are faster & more skilled.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Certainly a strength of Edmonton is their speed & skill with McDavid, Draisitil & Henrique vs Matthews, Tavares, Domi or Matthews, Crosby & Malkin. The latter top 3 C's are faster & more skilled.
So Matthews, Crosby & Malkin can compete with a McDavid, Draisitil & Henrique or Barkov, Bennett & Lundell both in skill & speed down the middle & in their respective lineups. The playmaking skills of Karlsson & to a lesser extent OEL with a fast highly skilled forward group would also ensure offense from the backend. Reilly playing with a Tanev should also be encouraged to join the rush, play as he did in the playoffs 2 years ago by far the best Reilly has played as a Maple Leaf. Congratulations of course with the new addition to the Reilly family.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
29 goals last season, 60+ points. Lesser players than that get much more than 3.5-4 in free agency. Bertuzzi just got 5.5 mil after 43 points. Malkin, a better comparison signed for 6+ mil over 4 years recently as a potential comparable..Malkin is better, but that was signed at a lower league cap.

It's definitely leverage that the team holds. But there's going to likely be a bit of tit for tat. Either the team gets the aav they want or the term they want, I don't think they will get both from the player.

I suspect they will do what they just did with Tanev, and give him a longer contract than we will likely end up playing for the lowest potential caphit he's willing to give

He might want to raise his family in Ontario, but he won't be giving up $10mm to do so.

Reactions: Menzinger

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Who knows how it'll shape up but depending on how ambitious the Leafs are and how attractive they look guys like Leon Draisaitl, Sidney Crosby, Claude Giroux, Sam Bennett, Yanni Gourde are available as of right now. You could get some shopping done at different price points. I don't know how much C Rantanen and Nelson play too. But $11 million as a starting point is a lot to work with. It might end up being John, but it doesn't have to be.

Add Granlund to the list. I doubt Crosby or Drai become available. Even if Drai tests FA, it’s probably to get paid a $ value that won’t fit in our budget. Crosby will stay in Pitt. Rants plays spot at faceoffs, but far more a winger. If we are going to convert a W, might as well try Willy.

With the likes of Gourde, Granlund.. these aren’t premier 2C’s, so really need your 3C to be better.

I’d seriously try Willy and give him a run. We pay him a lot and if he can grow into a C it could be a major benefit. I give Holmberg a serious look at C too. If we can fill these critical positions internally, it gives us greater flexibility elsewhere.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So Matthews, Crosby & Malkin can compete with a McDavid, Draisitil & Henrique or Barkov, Bennett & Lundell both in skill & speed down the middle & in their respective lineups. The playmaking skills of Karlsson & to a lesser extent OEL with a fast highly skilled forward group would also ensure offense from the backend. Reilly playing with a Tanev should also be encouraged to join the rush, play as he did in the playoffs 2 years ago by far the best Reilly has played as a Maple Leaf. Congratulations of course with the new addition to the Reilly family.
Impressive 7 post run quoting yourself 4 times.
Congrats Mo.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Add Granlund to the list. I doubt Crosby or Drai become available. Even if Drai tests FA, it’s probably to get paid a $ value that won’t fit in our budget. Crosby will stay in Pitt. Rants plays spot at faceoffs, but far more a winger. If we are going to convert a W, might as well try Willy.

With the likes of Gourde, Granlund.. these aren’t premier 2C’s, so really need your 3C to be better.

I’d seriously try Willy and give him a run. We pay him a lot and if he can grow into a C it could be a major benefit. I give Holmberg a serious look at C too. If we can fill these critical positions internally, it gives us greater flexibility elsewhere.
I personally have high hopes for Holmberg. I feel like if you put some skilled guys with him who are responsible defensively, he could really flourish. He's shown he can put up points when put with skilled players. If Grebyonkin shows in camp he's a legit top 9 lw, I would love to see a 3rd line of

Grebyonkin-Holmberg-Nylander

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You do realize these trades would never happen right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad