Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I know that for some weird reason people get real bent out of shape when the idea Alex Nylander could maybe be a good player gets brought up around here, but it’s worth mention that Nylander and Sillinger were very good together last year.

That said, didn’t they just sign Sillinger? I don’t think he’d be available.
He’s still an RFA
Can play him with both Nylanders 😀

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Best way to improve the bottom 6 would be to have both, but cap wise that’d be tricky because Kampf is not paid appropriately to be a 4C

Would be nice to have both for PK and get Marner off it.

That’s where having a lot of developing prospects would have come in handy. Pray for Minten to take that 3c spot and run with it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m curious: does anyone not expect Knies - Matthews - Domi to start together as a line? I feel like if they can click we are a far better, deeper team up front.

Not sure what the next two lines look like honestly but if we traded for a 3C like Eller (or ideally better), I’d be interested to see something like:

Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Cowan - Eller - Nylander

Puts McMann on the outs of the top 9, but I think he’d be a pretty great fit with Kampf and Jarnkrok.

The cap likely does not work though with both Eller and Robertson in.
Swap McMann with Robertson IMO.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Would love Sillinger as 3C, Jackets now have Fantili, Monahan and Jenner down the middle - not sure if Minten and Robertson would get it done
McMann - Sillinger - Willie would be a nice 3rd line.
He’s a Columbus native and they invested a high pick in him.

Columbus desperately needs more Sillinger’s, Kuraly’s, etc. who actually have an interest staying long term and aren’t flight risks.

I’ve thought about the fit before but don’t see them entertaining it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not terribly surprised. I can see them going longer term like 5-6 years at a surprisingly low caphit (like under 4 mil) rather than a 2-3 year extension

I'm going to guess 4 years at ~6M per, which is similar to what Pavelski got when he was 33/34 (he actually got 7M but as a UFA) . Brings Tavares to 38, at that point you can re-assess where he's at.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm going to guess 4 years at ~6M per, which is similar to what Pavelski got when he was 33/34 (he actually got 7M but as a UFA) . Brings Tavares to 38, at that point you can re-assess where he's at.

My hope is 4 years, $5M per.
Anything under that is a pretty significant concession by Tavares. Honestly even that probably is.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Crosby 8.7, Malkin 6.1 & Karlsson 11.5 to Toronto for Tavares 11, Marner 10.9 Liljegren 3, Kampf 2.4, Jarncrock 2.1, Niemela ELC, Minten ELC & a 1st Rd pick in 2026, 2027 & 2028.
not draft lottery protected picks. Pittsburgh does a sign & trade with both Tavares & Marner. Pittsburgh eats half of Karlsson contract. Leafs get Karlsson for 3 seasons @ 5.75. Pittsburgh can then choose to trade any assets acquired.
Leafs save approximately 8 million - cost of signing Robertson Leafs would still have cap space. Particularly useful if the goaltending isn't working out, or possibly a depth signing for league minimum like a JVR or Pacioretty. Robertson & McCabe could also be packaged in a trade.

Knies Matthews Domi
A. Nylander Crosby W. Nylander
Robertson Malkin Cowan
McMann Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL Karlsson
Benoit McCabe
Timmins

Woll Stolarz

• Haha
Reactions: TMLAM34 and Mckay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My hope is 4 years, $5M per.
Anything under that is a pretty significant concession by Tavares. Honestly even that probably is.

I bet more along the lines of 6 years at $4 million per year.

4M or 5M seems way under market. Not impossible if you go to his 40s but probably not really realistic to me. They did it with Tanev so maybe they do it with Tavares too.

Mckay

One does not simply... Ooo Coffee.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Crosby 8.7, Malkin 6.1 & Karlsson 11.5 to Toronto for Tavares 11, Marner 10.9 Liljegren 3, Kampf 2.4, Jarncrock 2.1, Niemela ELC, Minten ELC & a 1st Rd pick in 2026, 2027 & 2028.
not draft lottery protected picks. Pittsburgh does a sign & trade with both Tavares & Marner. Pittsburgh eats half of Karlsson contract. Leafs get Karlsson for 3 seasons @ 5.75. Pittsburgh can then choose to trade any assets acquired.
Leafs save approximately 8 million - cost of signing Robertson Leafs would still have cap space. Particularly useful if the goaltending isn't working out, or possibly a depth signing for league minimum like a JVR or Pacioretty. Robertson & McCabe could also be packaged in a trade.

Knies Matthews Domi
A. Nylander Crosby W. Nylander
Robertson Malkin Cowan
McMann Holmberg Reaves

Reilly Tanev
OEL Karlsson
Benoit McCabe
Timmins

Woll Stolarz
WnY1nJ.gif

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
4M or 5M seems way under market. Not impossible if you go to his 40s but probably not really realistic to me. They did it with Tanev so maybe they do it with Tavares too.
I'm not sure "market" is relevant in this case. He won't play anywhere but here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure "market" is relevant in this case. He won't play anywhere but here.

Are you new for this kind of thing? It's always relevant. Can't assume he'll take way under what the market is or what he feels he's worth just because we think he'll stay no matter what. It will matter.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Are you new for this kind of thing? It's always relevant. Can't assume he'll take way under what the market is or what he feels he's worth just because we think he'll stay no matter what. It will matter.
Toronto alone seems to be his market though. They are setting his price without competition.

Reactions: Evilhomer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toronto alone seems to be his market though. They are setting his price without competition.

Maybe? I'm not saying overpaying, but expecting him to take 2Mish under what is likely the fair point seems optimistic.

Stamkos bolted when he wasn't given close to what he wanted.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Maybe? I'm not saying overpaying, but expecting him to take 2Mish under what is likely the fair point seems optimistic.

I think Stamkos and Tavares are very different from one another.

Reactions: Pinkcat

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

There is probably a team out there that would pay him 7M at some term, but what is his value (fair point) to the Leafs specifically?

It isn't impacted by the 7M, it just is what it is. We don't need him as much as some other teams do.

Unlike Stammer, the working assumption is that JT is unavailable to other teams. If that's the case, then they are really only tied by regulatory bodies, relationships, brand, etc..

It's a strange one, but I'm guessing less than 5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad