Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Jarnkrok is definitely not a 4th line player. He's not great or anything but he's also only paid 2.1M to put up mid line numbers and efficiency, and he does year in and year out.

I'd say he's at the worst a 3rd line player and he's paid accordingly for that. But he's a player that should have probably been shopped last off-season when he had a pretty good season.

Yeah, I’m not so much calling him a 4th line player as much as I think he could just end up there to improve the 4th line and because we have other, younger players whose games really needs to be top 9 to provide value.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
... and then you don't have a single player to replace him, and there isn't a UFA still available to do so.

Your C's end up being.... Matthews, Tavares, Holmberg and Dewar... plus Domi in a pinch.. and if you get an injury for one of them, you are screwed.

He's more than a league minimum player... his pay on his last contract $1.2 was fine... $2.4 is indeed ridiculous... But to just open up cap space, but have no replacement, and be weak at C isn't very bright.

...and a weak PK team, gets far weaker...

Who are you going to replace him with?

Then with all the Marner hate - removing both of them would be deadly for our Pk

Who would be on our PK without those 2?

Reactions: Fogelhund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You saw enough of Dewar, and his 26 faceoffs for us last year, to know he's more than capable of being a full time C? at 42% success at that.... Most of those faceoffs, were when Kampf was kicked out of the circle, and Dewar reverted back to wing after the faceoff, so we really haven't had a chance to see what he'd do as a proper C here.

I'm all for giving these guys a chance, but not one of these guys has shown enough for any rational thinking to suggest they have proven to be capable enough to trade Kampf. Give them a chance, and if they seize it.. trade Kampf when another team gets a C injury and is desperate.

Being a center is a lot more than just face off percentages but it was such a low amount of faceoffs anyway. Dewar only took 24 total draws in the regular season for the Leafs and was at 46%. Dewar was 50% SH on faceoffs... which seems pretty average. Kampf was at 46% on SH FOW but 51% total. Minten took more draws than Dewar did and Minten did decently well as well -- 49% total, 100% SH -- 37 total faceoffs.

Nobody is trading for Kampf either unless given away, and even that seems a stretch anyway. So waive him and hope someone takes a chance.

Kampf being a natural center isn't enough to keep his overpaid contract on the books. He just isn't good.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think we should trade kampf and jarnkrok
That 4.5 could get a half decent third line center
They both are redundant on our team

There are no decent C's left as a UFA.

No team has a surplus of C's, they are willing to give away.

Where exactly are you getting a half decent third line Center at this point? What's it going to cost you?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Being a center is a lot more than just face off percentages but it was such a low amount of faceoffs anyway. Dewar only took 24 total draws in the regular season for the Leafs and was at 46%. Dewar was 50% SH on faceoffs... which seems pretty average. Kampf was at 46% on SH FOW but 51% total. Minten took more draws than Dewar did and Minten did decently well as well -- 49% total, 100% SH -- 37 total faceoffs.

Nobody is trading for Kampf either unless given away, and even that seems a stretch anyway. So waive him and hope someone takes a chance.

Let's just agree to disagree.... C is a critical position... and he is our best PK forward. Getting rid of such a player, on hopes and wishes isn't a wise move for a team hoping to compete.

The options haven't proven even closely they could take his spot...

A shame Brad gave him a stupid contract, if he was making $1.3 mil, nobody would complain.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Love the offer sheet move by the Blues.

Firstly, LOLOilers.

Secondly, the sooner GMs stop treating offer sheets as a taboo, the better off the league will be. We should see these happens like 5+ times every off season. I really hope the Oilers lose both guys and this convinces GMs to start doing them more

Reactions: Kiwi

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
There are no decent C's left as a UFA.

No team has a surplus of C's, they are willing to give away.

Where exactly are you getting a half decent third line Center at this point? What's it going to cost you?
Glass would've been a great 3C to target imo. Too bad he just got traded today because Pittsburgh got him for free pretty much and 2 draft picks with it.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Thinking ahead, if we put Reaves on waivers at the deadline, we can add Bjugstad @ 50% for nothing but picks.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Let's just agree to disagree.... C is a critical position... and he is our best PK forward. Getting rid of such a player, on hopes and wishes isn't a wise move for a team hoping to compete.

The options haven't proven even closely they could take his spot...

A shame Brad gave him a stupid contract, if he was making $1.3 mil, nobody would complain.

With Glass going to Pittsburgh....they have...

Crosby
Malkin
Glass
Eller
Acciari (to be transitioned to wing apparently)
Hayes

Yager and Poulin waiting

I kind of wonder if there is a deal to be made there for a retained Eller?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Glass would've been a great 3C to target imo. Too bad he just got traded today because Pittsburgh got him for free pretty much and 2 draft picks with it.

He was a cap dump for Nashville. He's always been a guy with potential, and sees the game very well. His problem has always been he's incredibly injury prone.

A Preds fan summed him up as...

Looks to make progress
Gets hurt
Comes back and plays timid
Starts hitting a stride
Gets hurt
Repeat

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Crosby
Malkin
Glass
Eller
Hayes

Yager and Poulin waiting

They probably use Glass as a RW, if he can stay in the lineup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Crosby
Malkin
Glass
Eller
Hayes

Yager and Poulin waiting

Pittsburgh would likely have a decent amount of interest in both Robertson and Timmins. They lack a lot of young NHL ready offensive depth and they lack RHD.

Eller would make some sense as part of the deal in some way but I wouldn't value him a whole lot at his age, but he did have a good season last year. The problem is that I don't see a Leafs/Pens deal anytime soon and they have very little assets that are enticing.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Pittsburgh has nothing we would like.

I can see them sending an offer sheet to Nick Robertson though. Lmao imagine the hate Dubas will get when he does that :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pittsburgh has nothing we would like.

I can see them sending an offer sheet to Nick Robertson though. Lmao imagine the hate Dubas will get when he does that :laugh:

Pittsburgh doesn't have their 2nd round pick anymore and the Leafs would match anything that is only a 3rd round pick in return I imagine -- They would be pretty dumb not to.

Robertson probably doesn't want to sign an offer sheet that isn't a big time overpay because that means he's locked with the Leafs for the next year and seems like he may want to be traded.

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Pittsburgh doesn't have their 2nd round pick anymore and the Leafs would match anything that is only a 3rd round pick in return I imagine -- They would be pretty dumb not to.

Robertson probably doesn't want to sign an offer sheet that isn't a big time overpay because that means he's locked with the Leafs for the next year and seems like he may want to be traded.
Do you think the Leafs would match $2.2 million?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do you think the Leafs would match $2.2 million?

They 100% should. 2.2M for a 22 year old 15 goal scorer is stupid to walk away from for a 3rd round pick.

It would have to be in the 2nd round pick range for me think to walk since at that point it can be up to 4.6M, and the cap gymnastics would be too hard to navigate.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Toronto - Columbus
Patrick Laine @ 50%
for
Nick Robertson, Calle Jarnkrok, David Kampf & 2nd 2025 or 1st 2026

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Laine - - Domi - - Nylander
Cowan - Tavares - McMann
Holmberg - Minten - Reaves

Rielly - - - Tanev
Benoit - McCabe
OEL - - Liljegren

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Pittsburgh is looking to move a C, perhaps a trade of Robertson for Eller is something that could work for both teams.

We'd have to move on from Kampf, and find out if there is a market for him.

Eller has more size, also plays the PK well, and has more offensive upside. I think it would be a good upgrade for us.

Dubas might find Robertson, who he drafted attractive, and it gives Robertson a new start... Personally, I'd love to keep Robertson... but if he's gone, it's not a bad trade.

Reactions: Tony Romo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad