Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Eller put up 31 points with crap wingers last year in Pitt. He puts up 35–40 points for us, while providing similar defensive and PK abilities as Kampf.

Swapping Eller for Kampf is a pretty big upgrade overall, at the same cap hit.

That’s all. There really isn’t much else available, if we want to upgrade.

On the main trade board, one Pittsburgh fan said they’d take Timmins for Eller.

Reactions: Sypher04

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Pittsburgh is looking to move a C, perhaps a trade of Robertson for Eller is something that could work for both teams.

We'd have to move on from Kampf, and find out if there is a market for him.

Eller has more size, also plays the PK well, and has more offensive upside. I think it would be a good upgrade for us.

Dubas might find Robertson, who he drafted attractive, and it gives Robertson a new start... Personally, I'd love to keep Robertson... but if he's gone, it's not a bad trade.
The cumulative tradeoff there is still Robertson + Kampf for Eller's expiring ticket + the (unlikely?) possibility of Kampf returning anything of value. It doesn't altogether feel as though it propels the Leafs forward in an overly meaningful way.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Eller put up 31 points with crap wingers last year in Pitt. He puts up 35–40 points for us, while providing similar defensive and PK abilities as Kampf.

That’s all. There really isn’t much else available, if we want to upgrade.

On the main trade board, one Pittsburgh fan said they’d take Timmins for Eller.

That’d be a steal for us. Useful player

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Eller scored 24 even strength points. Kampf scored 19 playing fewer minutes.

He may have played with crap wingers, but they were better than Kampf’s counterparts…

Slightly better offense. Slightly worse defense. It’s a lateral move at best.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Eller scored 24 even strength points. Kampf scored 19 playing fewer minutes.

He may have played with crap wingers, but they were better than Kampf’s counterparts…

Slightly better offense. Slightly worse defense. It’s a lateral move at best.

Best way to improve the bottom 6 would be to have both, but cap wise that’d be tricky because Kampf is not paid appropriately to be a 4C

Would be nice to have both for PK and get Marner off it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’m curious: does anyone not expect Knies - Matthews - Domi to start together as a line? I feel like if they can click we are a far better, deeper team up front.

Not sure what the next two lines look like honestly but if we traded for a 3C like Eller (or ideally better), I’d be interested to see something like:

Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Cowan - Eller - Nylander

Puts McMann on the outs of the top 9, but I think he’d be a pretty great fit with Kampf and Jarnkrok.

The cap likely does not work though with both Eller and Robertson in.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I’m curious: does anyone not expect Knies - Matthews - Domi to start together as a line? I feel like if they can click we are a far better, deeper team up front.

Not sure what the next two lines look like honestly but if we traded for a 3C like Eller (or ideally better), I’d be interested to see something like:

Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Cowan - Eller - Nylander

Puts McMann on the outs of the top 9, but I think he’d be a pretty great fit with Kampf and Jarnkrok.

The cap likely does not work though with both Eller and Robertson in.
As it stands today, Cap wages has us with $875,333 in cap space.

With Hakanpaa on LTIR, we have $2.375 mil.

If Robertson signs for $1.2 mil... we have $1.175 left. Eller makes $2.45 mil. We would have to move another body out to make it fit... like Reaves for example.

Reactions: Sypher04

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Would love Sillinger as 3C, Jackets now have Fantili, Monahan and Jenner down the middle - not sure if Minten and Robertson would get it done
McMann - Sillinger - Willie would be a nice 3rd line.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
The goal has to be fitting JT's new deal and his replacement player ( 2nd line C ) within the same cap as his current contract. Lower if possible.

Anything higher would be a failure and everyone will still hate him.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
On Edmonton and the offer sheets, I wonder if there is a trade to be made there that benefits Toronto and helps Edmonton with their cap issue to keep their two talents?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Would love Sillinger as 3C, Jackets now have Fantili, Monahan and Jenner down the middle - not sure if Minten and Robertson would get it done
McMann - Sillinger - Willie would be a nice 3rd line.

I know that for some weird reason people get real bent out of shape when the idea Alex Nylander could maybe be a good player gets brought up around here, but it’s worth mention that Nylander and Sillinger were very good together last year.

That said, didn’t they just sign Sillinger? I don’t think he’d be available.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
On Edmonton and the offer sheets, I wonder if there is a trade to be made there that benefits Toronto and helps Edmonton with their cap issue to keep their two talents?

It would require a very desperate Edmonton, and I doubt they'd pull the trigger except at the last minute. They are looking to dump Ceci and Kulak... and obviously will need to attach picks... allegedly a 1st and 2nd to get rid of both.

If that completely fails, and they want to keep Broberg and Holloway, I'd offer to take Henrique off their hands. Of course, they just signed him and all of that, and it wouldn't look good... but that's about all I'd want. I don't think in the circumstances the cost would be high, and we'd probably look at a third party to absorb half of the contract... which might not be cheap. Maybe Robertson? (Who I don't want to get rid of, but if we have to... well we have to). Would it happen... probably not.

Reactions: GBLeaf

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The goal has to be fitting JT's new deal and his replacement player ( 2nd line C ) within the same cap as his current contract. Lower if possible.

Anything higher would be a failure and everyone will still hate him.
Fully expect Tavares to take a very team friendly deal and become our 3C, which would be amazing for us.

Tavares loves being a Maple Leaf and he gets it and what this team needs to win. Can easily see him resigning for $3-$4m.

He’s done chasing the paycheque, if that was ever his style. Now he just wants to win, and keep close to his family.

Smart man who gets it. Too bad there aren’t more like him and Rielly with this mindset on this team.

The Leafs need a 2C ASAP. Lindholm would have been absolutely perfect if we had been able to move off from Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad