Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Those contracts wouldn't be good for Edmonton (particularly Broberg's) but the same could be said for the compensation involving a couple of former 1st round picks. I figure that Broberg at least will become a member of the Blues here.

There's no way they can afford a 4.5M 3rd pairing defenseman and also find a way to fit him in this season. I'd easily take the 2nd round pick here and wish him well. That 2nd round pick is very likely to be a top 50 pick as well.

Holloway is feasible if Evander Kane starts the season on LTIR as expected.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There's no way they can afford a 4.5M 3rd pairing defenseman and also find a way to fit him in this season. I'd easily take the 2nd round pick here and wish him well.

Holloway is feasible if Evander Kane starts the season on LTIR as expected.
This is what I'm thinking as well.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Trade Kampf

Domi - Matthews - Nylander
Vrana (800k) - Tavares - Marner
Knies - T.Johnson ($800k) - McMann
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Reaves
Dewar/Robertson

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Given Edmonton is in a bit of a pickle right now, I wonder if they'd consider taking the Florida 2nd round pick for Henrique.

Perhaps do a three way deal. Utah retains some of Henrique's salary, and we send Utah Kampf.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trade Kampf

Domi - Matthews - Nylander
Vrana (800k) - Tavares - Marner
Knies - T.Johnson ($800k) - McMann
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Reaves
Dewar/Robertson

We really underestimate how bad Kampfs contract is. I don't think he even gets claimed on waivers if he makes it there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
One of the Blues defenders is headed to LTIR correct?

1723564696597.png

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I can see an argument to keep Holloway around, but the Oilers are already over the cap.. so I'm guessing they'll let these guys walk using the 2nd and 3rd at this years deadline to load up again
Problem with Edmonton right now is they invested both high draft picks in them (8th overall & 14th overall), and both players are just starting to figure it out and scratch the surface.

Letting them walk for a 2nd and 3rd just to replace with them vets at the deadline kills Edmonton in the future trying to stay competitive, and matching their contract right now hurts them as they don't have the money to do so.

Reactions: Menzinger

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
We really underestimate how bad Kampfs contract is. I don't think he even gets claimed on waivers if he makes it there.
He had the 4th most PK minutes out of all forwards in the league when he signed his contract and he's still under 30. Potential to muster a 10 goal season as a 4th liner.

Kampf 100% gets claimed by someone if he's put on waivers.

His contract sucks for us specifically based on our needs, but there's many teams that could utilize his skillset where his cap hit isn't an issue.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He had the 4th most PK minutes out of all forwards in the league when he signed his contract and he's still under 30. Potential to muster a 10 goal season as a 4th liner.

Kampf 100% gets claimed by someone if he's put on waivers.

His contract sucks for us specifically based on our needs, but there's many teams that could utilize his skillset where his cap hit isn't an issue.

Faksa was traded for future considerations. Higher cap hit but 1 year left versus 3 years. That's best case scenario for Kampf. His value is zero.

Kampf getting claimed would be a net positive for the Leafs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Faksa was traded for future considerations. Higher cap hit but 1 year left versus 3 years. That's best case scenario for Kampf. His value is zero.

Kampf getting claimed would be a net positive for the Leafs.
Kampf getting claimed would not be a net positive for the Leafs. He's a decent C at PK, and defensively. Offensively not so good. He's overpaid no doubt, but given this team wasn't good on the PK to begin with, losing one of our better forwards, and a C at that, would be a huge problem without a replacement.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kampf getting claimed would not be a net positive for the Leafs. He's a decent C at PK, and defensively. Offensively not so good. He's overpaid no doubt, but given this team wasn't good on the PK to begin with, losing one of our better forwards, and a C at that, would be a huge problem without a replacement.

Any cap space gained by dumping Kampf is a net positive for me. Not only for this year but the next few years. He's a min league player getting paid way over what he's capable of. Average all around at best, not physical and subpar offensively. Not sure he's really the glue keeping the PK together either...

Being able to ice a 23 player roster with his cap hit, accruing cap space and giving ice time to a younger version would be better than keeping Kampf.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Given Edmonton is in a bit of a pickle right now, I wonder if they'd consider taking the Florida 2nd round pick for Henrique.

Perhaps do a three way deal. Utah retains some of Henrique's salary, and we send Utah Kampf.

Henrique just re-signed .. I can't see them moving him

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Henrique just re-signed .. I can't see them moving him

Their preferred move would be to get rid of Ceci somehow. That would work for them, until Kane comes of LTIR, at which point in time they'd probably have to dump Kane as well.

The challenge of course... what if they can't move Ceci? If they can't, they are either going to lose Broberg, or have to move someone else.

Is that likely to happen? No... but then, you make the call, and give them an out to their current situation, even if it's unlikely to happen. If Edmonton gets desperate, wants to keep Broberg, and Holloway, and that is their only option to do so... it's a pretty big win for us... I mean, you make that phone call, even if it isn't likely to happen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Any cap space gained by dumping Kampf is a net positive for me. Not only for this year but the next few years. He's a min league player getting paid way over what he's capable of. Average all around at best, not physical and subpar offensively.

Being able to ice a 23 player roster with his cap hit, accruing cap space and giving ice time to a younger version would be better than keeping Kampf.

... and then you don't have a single player to replace him, and there isn't a UFA still available to do so.

Your C's end up being.... Matthews, Tavares, Holmberg and Dewar... plus Domi in a pinch.. and if you get an injury for one of them, you are screwed.

He's more than a league minimum player... his pay on his last contract $1.2 was fine... $2.4 is indeed ridiculous... But to just open up cap space, but have no replacement, and be weak at C isn't very bright.

...and a weak PK team, gets far weaker...

Who are you going to replace him with?

Reactions: Doc300c

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
... and then you don't have a single player to replace him, and there isn't a UFA still available to do so.

Your C's end up being.... Matthews, Tavares, Holmberg and Dewar... plus Domi in a pinch.. and if you get an injury for one of them, you are screwed.

He's more than a league minimum player... his pay on his last contract $1.2 was fine... $2.4 is indeed ridiculous... But to just open up cap space, but have no replacement, and be weak at C isn't very bright.

...and a weak PK team, gets far weaker...

Who are you going to replace him with?

I think we have some options that can replace his level of efficiency. Minten and Holmberg come to mind as the first 2. Dewar, Jarnkrok and Domi can play center in a pinch. Quillan might surprise. And there are a few left overs from free agency that could do the same kind of work for a fraction of the price. There's also waiver wire in October could be interesting. Or better yet, look at the trade market.

I have no idea why we think Kampf is the glue that keeps this team together for the PK or even strength down the middle when he can barely play above the 4th line EV before looking really bad. I guess it could be worse, and I'd be more than willing to find out in order to shed a bad contract. I'd be very willing to give his minutes to a younger cheaper player with some upside to his game.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think we have of options that can replace his level of efficiency. Minten and Holmberg come to mind as the first 2. Dewar, Jarnkrok and Domi can play center in a pinch. Quillan might surprise. And there are a few left overs from free agency that could do the same kind of work for a fraction of the price. There's also waiver wire in October could be interesting. Or better yet, look at the trade market.

I have no idea why we think Kampf is the glue that keeps this team together for the PK or even strength down the middle when he can barely play above the 4th line before looking really bad. I guess it could be worse, and I'd be more than willing to find out in order to shed a bad contract. I'd be very willing to give his minutes to a younger cheaper player with some upside to his game.

Minten hasn't proven to even be NHL ready.

I like Holmberg, but he's proven nothing as a PK, defensive C... in fact, his defense needs work.

Domi isn't great defensively to begin with... but he might be a PK in a pinch?

Kampf had terrible linemates last year, unsuited to get the best out of him... when he had the right linemates, he was decent for us previously.

I tell you what I would agree with... if one of Minten, Holmberg or Dewar prove that Kampf is replaceable... then you move Kampf at that point... maybe after 20-30 games... but you don't move someone, hoping on ifs and maybes, with no backup plan. It would be a disaster to move Kampf, and end up with nobody else working well this year in his place... and then we'd need to make a trade, and overpay to fix our lack of C depth...

So, give Minten, Holmberg and Dewar enough responsibility early on, to see if you can move on from Kampf.... and if someone seizes that spot... great, and if not, we've still got Kampf.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Kampf is more likely dealt next off-season with 1 year left on his contract .. at that time we'll know more if Minten can steal his job, or if Holmberg can move over full time.

The salary isn't 100% needed right now .. and who knows if there's a market at this point in the off-season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think Kampf is more likely dealt next off-season with 1 year left on his contract .. at that time we'll know more if Minten can steal his job, or if Holmberg can move over full time.

The salary isn't 100% needed right now .. and who knows if there's a market at this point in the off-season.

I would suggest that there is always a market for a true C... C depth is one of the more important positions in the league....

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He'll have 2 years left at that point. He's signed until 2027.

Reactions: Menzinger

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Minten hasn't proven to even be NHL ready.

I like Holmberg, but he's proven nothing as a PK, defensive C... in fact, his defense needs work.

Domi isn't great defensively to begin with... but he might be a PK in a pinch?

Kampf had terrible linemates last year, unsuited to get the best out of him... when he had the right linemates, he was decent for us previously.

I tell you what I would agree with... if one of Minten, Holmberg or Dewar prove that Kampf is replaceable... then you move Kampf at that point... maybe after 20-30 games... but you don't move someone, hoping on ifs and maybes, with no backup plan. It would be a disaster to move Kampf, and end up with nobody else working well this year in his place... and then we'd need to make a trade, and overpay to fix our lack of C depth...

So, give Minten, Holmberg and Dewar enough responsibility early on, to see if you can move on from Kampf.... and if someone seizes that spot... great, and if not, we've still got Kampf.

I have a lot of confidence that you can replace Kampfs ability with a prospect or a younger/untested version. I've seen enough of Dewar and Holmberg last season to know that they would be more than capable.

And Kampf might not have had good linemates, mostly Reaves, but he certainly didn't look good with better linemates either. A big reason why the Leafs had to go with Domi as a center was because of how bad Kampf looked higher in the lineup.

I am more than OK taking the chance of dumping Kampf right now without any immediate replacement. It should have been done months ago.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s kinda of unfortunate that Kampf and Jarnkrok make the money they do, because 5M+ on your fourth line is not really acceptable for us, but Kampf-Jarnkrok is two thirds of a potentially very effective 4th line and both penalty killers. There’s lots of potential value there with the right third player, if the cap wasn’t so high.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It’s kinda of unfortunate that Kampf and Jarnkrok make the money they do, because 5M+ on your fourth line is not really acceptable for us, but Kampf-Jarnkrok is two thirds of a potentially very effective 4th line.

Jarnkrok is definitely not a 4th line player. He's not great or anything but he's also only paid 2.1M to put up mid line numbers and efficiency, and he does year in and year out.

I'd say he's at the worst a 3rd line player and he's paid accordingly for that. But he's a player that should have probably been shopped last off-season when he had a pretty good season. He should have been shopped this off-season as well. The big thing with this team over the years is not being good or smart in asset management.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I have a lot of confidence that you can replace Kampfs ability with a prospect or a younger/untested version. I've seen enough of Dewar and Holmberg last season to know that they would be more than capable.

And Kampf might not have had good linemates, mostly Reaves, but he certainly didn't look good with better linemates either. A big reason why the Leafs had to go with Domi as a center was because of how bad Kampf looked higher in the lineup.

You saw enough of Dewar, and his 26 faceoffs for us last year, to know he's more than capable of being a full time C? at 42% success at that.... Most of those faceoffs, were when Kampf was kicked out of the circle, and Dewar reverted back to wing after the faceoff, so we really haven't had a chance to see what he'd do as a proper C here.

I'm all for giving these guys a chance, but not one of these guys has shown enough for any rational thinking to suggest they have proven to be capable enough to trade Kampf. Give them a chance, and if they seize it.. trade Kampf when another team gets a C injury and is desperate.

Reactions: Doc300c

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I think we should trade kampf and jarnkrok
That 4.5 could get a half decent third line center
They both are redundant on our team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad