Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign RD Vincent Desharnais 2-Year, $2M AAV Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm a little lower on the replacements than yourself.

I see Des as a good gamble, but he will be a decent downgrade from a non-injured Cole. Forbort is physical, but he doesn't intimidate anyone unlike Zad.

These two will be bottom pairing, so not the end of the world, but there is a significant downgrade in transition ability. A player like Shultz would be an amazing add to address that, but it looks like they are done for now.
Fair enough but take out Zadorov's playoffs and you basically have Forbort and he's pretty nasty himself and a much better fighter. I admit that I'm not or never was big on keeping Zadorov knowing what he would cost because not only was he pretty meh during the regular season there's a reason he basically cost so little. During his time here in the regular season he never fully had the trust of the coaching staff and his minutes actually declined compared to when he was with the flames and IMHO, he got paid based on 13 playoff games against teams bottom six.

As for Cole, I thought he was great in October and November then just ok the rest of the year and just God awful in the playoffs.

As for Vinny, John Shannon had a great piece about him how when the oilers turned their season around, Vinny was put with Nurse as a 2nd pair and Nurses game completely changed. His numbers were excellent in the playoffs and once again as soon as he took Cecis spot Nurses game completely changed.

He wasnt healthy in the Florida series but overall last season he managed to stabalize the top four for long stretches and was their most physical Dman and one of their best pkers.

I think if healthy, all the people worried about the defense are gonna be surprised and keep in mind that Allvin signed those two at the behest of our coaching staff and while Zadorov did price himself out, if Tock and the D coaches wanted him, they would have made it happen. We had the cap to do it a d still basically have the exact same team minus Forbort and the LTIR space.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Word out of Edmonton this morning is that the Oilers may not match the Blues offer sheet on Broberg and take the draft pick--letting him sign with the Blues.

Kind of ironic really. Supposedly the Oil let Desharnais walk because they felt that Broberg had outplayed him down the stretch in the playoffs, and was a former first round draft pick. Now it looks like they might lose both.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Word out of Edmonton this morning is that the Oilers may not match the Blues offer sheet on Broberg and take the draft pick--letting him sign with the Blues.

Kind of ironic really. Supposedly the Oil let Desharnais walk because they felt that Broberg had outplayed him down the stretch in the playoffs, and was a former first round draft pick. Now it looks like they might lose both.
With some smart GMing they can be replaced. Niether were minute munchers in the regular season and there are vets without contracts that can fill in. At the TDL they might be able to swing a trade for a more dominant dman to play 11 minutes or less a game.

What it hurts is 3 years down the road.
IMO they sign Holloway.

They have to get out from under Nurse's 9.25 mil contract somehow, that is looking like an anchor right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With some smart GMing they can be replaced. Niether were minute munchers in the regular season and there are vets without contracts that can fill in. At the TDL they might be able to swing a trade for a more dominant dman to play 11 minutes or less a game.

What it hurts is 3 years down the road.
IMO they sign Holloway.

They have to get out from under Nurse's 9.25 mil contract somehow, that is looking like an anchor right now.
If history is any guide, and the Canucks are living proof of this, it isn't easy to find impact d-men as UFA's in the off-season. And even if you do have an interest in somebody, you're going to have to seriously overpay to bring them to your team. And the price tends to be even steeper at the trade deadline.

So given the Oilers perilous cap situation--it's hard to see where they'd even be able to free up the money to sign a replacement for Broberg--much less find adequate replacements for both him and Desharnais.

You have to hand it to the Blues. Obviously they knew the Oilers were seriously screwed on their salary cap and pounced, with not one, but two offer sheets. I doubt Broberg is worth the $2.5m a season the Blues are paying him so Edmonton probably passes. But losing Dylan Holloway would be a bad deletion given his speed and draft status.

Glad it's Edmonton's problem. Although I read some of the observers around the Calgary Flames are expressing serious regrets that it wasn't the Flames who scuppered the Oil instead of the Blues.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Blues are paying him $4.58M AAV a season.
Wow misread the contract!.....thought it was a two year deal worth $4.58m. There's no way the Oilers can match that. But $4.58m a season for Broberg--who spent half the season in the minors last year, is a ridiculous signing.

I promise never to complain about the Myers-Hronek signings ever again.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
This is copium, a big guy who makes jokes and stands up for teammates is usually popular. I also think coaches like Tocchet/Foote/Gonchar/Sedins would have his full respect
Not really. I thought the same when he was here. I liked him but also thought he could wear out a locker room or mail it in when he got his bag. I wasn't overly thrilled with his regular season and he quit on the Flames. To the point they took a shittier deal cuz he had become a locker room problem and his play was lacksidiscal.

People put so much stock into a 13 game stretch by this team. Suddenly Hoglander is garbage even though he was one of our best and most consistent players for 82 games before that. Suddenly Silovs could make Demko replaceable. Suddenly Zadorov is a god and Cole is terrible.

I get that playoff hockey means more but there's no guarantee that that play would translate to an 82 game grind six times over. There are always the Pisanis, the Pageaus, the Halaks, etc.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not really. I thought the same when he was here. I liked him but also thought he could wear out a locker room or mail it in when he got his bag. I wasn't overly thrilled with his regular season and he quit on the Flames. To the point they took a shittier deal cuz he had become a locker room problem and his play was lacksidiscal.

People put so much stock into a 13 game stretch by this team. Suddenly Hoglander is garbage even though he was one of our best and most consistent players for 82 games before that. Suddenly Silovs could make Demko replaceable. Suddenly Zadorov is a god and Cole is terrible.

I get that playoff hockey means more but there's no guarantee that that play would translate to an 82 game grind six times over. There are always the Pisanis, the Pageaus, the Halaks, etc.
Fair enough, I think that Flames locker room has been a mess for years though(I guess you could argue he was part of the problem and not the solution). I still remember Tkachuk being visibly upset with his team after a scrum during the end of a game. Treliving was constantly desperate to add “character guys” to try to help that room.

I think Z would’ve been fine here off the ice and I think he’ll be fine in Boston too.

Totally agree with the rest of your post

Reactions: SopelFanThe3rd

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Fair enough, I think that Flames locker room has been a mess for years though(I guess you could argue he was part of the problem and not the solution). I still remember Tkachuk being visibly upset with his team after a scrum during the end of a game. Treliving was constantly desperate to add “character guys” to try to help that room.

I think Z would’ve been fine here off the ice and I think he’ll be fine in Boston too.

Perhaps he will or would be. But I'm just saying that I could see his antics having the opposite effect if shit hits the fan I guess.

I don't think I'd commit to Zadorov for 6 years though. It's just too much of a mixed bag in his past.

Reactions: Nucker101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Tkachuk was upset because he was picking fights and turtling and his teammates didn't come to his rescue because they had already told him to tone it down or fight his own fights.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Perhaps he will or would be. But I'm just saying that I could see his antics having the opposite effect if shit hits the fan I guess.

I don't think I'd commit to Zadorov for 6 years though. It's just too much of a mixed bag in his past.

Yeah I can see what you're saying. It's all cool to be the hip guy to the media, say catchy things, be a big voice, and slag other teams and stuff (when you're winning) but, when you're playing like crap, taking shit penalties, losing coverage in the d-zone, and losing games, that high flier attitude can wear very thin. Especially when you don't have the other gear that gets you back to focusing on doing your job and getting the tactics correct to help the team. Not to say Zad's doesn't have it but I never saw it consistently, and he has wore out his welcome on several teams before.

I agree, he's a great target for a 3 or 4 year deal if he fits the structure. Giving a player like that a 6 year deal is a massive gamble. His bag is not up to par. :naughty:

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Yeah I can see what you're saying. It's all cool to be the hip guy to the media, say catchy things, be a big voice, and slag other teams and stuff (when you're winning) but, when you're playing like crap, taking shit penalties, losing coverage in the d-zone, and losing games, that high flier attitude can wear very thin. Especially when you don't have the other gear that gets you back to focusing on doing your job and getting the tactics correct to help the team. Not to say Zad's doesn't have it but I never saw it consistently, and he has wore out his welcome on several teams before.

I agree, he's a great target for a 3 or 4 year deal if he fits the structure. Giving a player like that a 6 year deal is a massive gamble. His bag is not up to par. :naughty:
Exactly.

Those funny, cocky personalities can go sideways when things get rough.

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Zadorov is a head case that would tire his teammates and coaching staff out after a few seasons.

I don't think Zadorov is a head case. He has a reputation of being well liked by his teammates. He does have a tendency of criticizing his former team but other than that there's nothing to suggest that he is anything but well liked by his teammates.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I think if our cap situation were different, I might've been tempted to offer him that term to be honest.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I think if our cap situation were different, I might've been tempted to offer him that term to be honest.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how he does in Boston as he definitely had a big following from a good portion of Canucks fans. It was a complete non-starter for me though. We were set at LD for the most part already with Hughes and Soucy, in comparison to other needs. Way to much for a 3 LD. He's fairly inconsistent and not an overly strong all around defender. I think we'll see that in Boston as well but who knows. Maybe he ends up being a #2 defender there.

Reactions: Hit the post

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
What has any of this to do with having VD?
This really can't be his nickname.

It's just his initials. It doesn't capture the fact that he is also very big.

He could be The Big VD.

Or maybe something around being a Stay-at-home, Terrific, Defenseman?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
This really can't be his nickname.

It's just his initials. It doesn't capture the fact that he is also very big.

He could be The Big VD.

Or maybe something around being a Stay-at-home, Terrific, Defenseman?
You do realize that this was:

1 - a poor attempt at humour

2 - in no way meant seriously.

3 - the usual annoyance that this turned into a big Z thread rather than discussion about this player.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
You do realize that this was:

1 - a poor attempt at humour

2 - in no way meant seriously.

3 - the usual annoyance that this turned into a big Z thread rather than discussion about this player.
Uh, yeah.

Do you realize my post is doing the same?

What would be the acronym of Stay-at-home; Terrific; Defenseman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad