Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If I'm following correctly, trading Ceci opens up the possibility to add at the deadline. It really depends what they do with that cap space I guess. I don't understand what you wanted them to do? Re-sign Broberg and trade Ceci, or keep Ceci and be forced to move him or Kulak when Kane comes back?

Like I get they're in a crunch right now, but making some room for an upgrade seems like a logical option.
not make the defense much worse? they traded Ceci for an unknown, they're probably not gonna sign Broberg, lost Desharnais already

fine trade Ceci, he stunk...but you can't rely on some guy with 30 games under his belt, or washed UFA to fill holes

Whats with all the Ceci love all of a sudden? Fans have been ripping him apart for 2 years, and suddenly trading him is a detriment to our cup window? Give me a break. We need cap space to find an upgrade on Ceci. Nobody was taking Ceci in an upgrade trade. So we dumped him for cap space and a younger player. Now we actually have the flexibility to add a top 4 defenseman. We will find out in the morning if that top a defenseman is Philip Broberg, or if our GM has to get to work, shopping St. Louis' 2nd and 3rd round picks.
no one likes Ceci, but hes better than the 3 maybe we brought in...disagree?

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Have no idea who this is. Holloway pissed at his camp/agent?
He has no one to blame but himself and I don’t feel sorry for him one bit. No one put a gun to his head forcing him to sign the offer sheet knowing the Oilers may not match. All he had to do was decline it and keep negotiating with the Oilers. He didn't do that, so he can sleep in the bed of his own shit he created by putting pen to paper.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
not make the defense much worse? they traded Ceci for an unknown, they're probably not gonna sign Broberg, lost Desharnais already

fine trade Ceci, he stunk...but you can't rely on some guy with 30 games under his belt, or washed UFA to fill holes

I agree, the moves hinge on what they do with the cap space, which one would think is going to be used to upgrade on Ceci. Something that wouldn't be possible if they matched Broberg.

So I guess we'll see. It's a bit of a gamble I suppose, but I think the team will be fine in the regular season, especially if they bring in Schultz or Barrie.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

We aren't heading into the playoffs tomorrow either. If we don't match the offer sheets, we have cap flexibility and a couple of assets to add an upgrade closer to the playoffs. Worst case scenario? We trade with San Jose to get Ceci back if we can't find an upgrade. Best case scenario? We find a much better player than Ceci.

I personally am excited to see what happens, and I don't have a preference, as long as whatever option the team takes doesn't involve bringing back Tyson Barrie.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
no we couldn't, we have to be cap compliant to put Kane on the LTIR at the start of the season.
That's the method to maximize LTIR. It can be done earlier.

It is possible to place Kane on LTIR before the season starts, and maximise LTIR within a couple hundred bucks, but you need the contracts to line up perfectly.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So we got rid of 3 bonifide NHL d-men…and brought in 3 “maybes”

Barrie is washed
Healthy scratch in Nashville but top 4 in Edmonton lol
That’s a sign of a thin defense
Broberg is a bonafide NHL D but the others are maybe's?

no we couldn't, we have to be cap compliant to put Kane on the LTIR at the start of the season.
You can LTIR him in the offseason.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
That's the method to maximize LTIR. It can be done earlier.

It is possible to place Kane on LTIR before the season starts, and maximise LTIR within a couple hundred bucks, but you need the contracts to line up perfectly.
I honestly don't care, but I trust JJ with personel moves and I doubt he'd let Bowman make a stupid move that he wouldn't make.

I don't want to match Broberg or Holloway, but if we do, it's over for me, I'll stop bitching about it and get ready to cheer for the team we do have. I just think we have greater flexibility to improve if don't match.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I agree, the moves hinge on what they do with the cap space, which one would think is going to be used to upgrade on Ceci. Something that wouldn't be possible if they matched Broberg.

So I guess we'll see. It's a bit of a gamble I suppose, but I think the team will be fine in the regular season, especially if they bring in Schultz or Barrie.
so they made the defense worse in the hopes of getting a better player in March at the TDL?
that's risky as hell

Thomas Tatar

Right!? And since when is Desharnais bonafide? Pretty sure Van signed him to a two-way contract…

It’s hilarious that Ceci, Broberg, and VD are all bonafide D now. Emberson is no more a maybe than Broberg is, Stetcher is no more a maybe than VD, and Oilers fans have been trying to get rid of Ceci in basically 1 forever. Sheesh.

• Love
Reactions: M Ace and jeffff

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
He has no one to blame but himself and I don’t feel sorry for him one bit. No one put a gun to his head forcing him to sign the offer sheet knowing the Oilers may not match. All he had to do was decline it and keep negotiating with the Oilers. He didn't do that, so he can sleep in the bed of his own shit he created by putting pen to paper.
Yup. His was such a stupid decision. Jokes on him. He can go be depressed in St Louis while Edmonton keeps contending

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Right!? And since when is Desharnais bonafide? Pretty sure Van signed him to a two-way contract…

It’s hilarious that Ceci, Broberg, and VD are all bonafide D now. Emberson is no more a maybe than Broberg is, Stetcher is no more a maybe than VD, and Oilers fans have been trying to get rid of Ceci in basically 1 forever. Sheesh.
no they didn't

and the Oilers were deep enough last year that Stetcher was the 8th D in the organization
now, some are penciling him in beside Nurse LOL

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Broberg played infront of a 975% in the playoffs in all situations

He was also outshot like 75-55 while on the ice

His mistakes just didn't go into our net
He had some good moments and then he had some bad moments. The good moments and the bad moments came in front of some heavy competition.

I'm not saying Broberg is bad. I'm not saying he's good. He's somewheres in between and we probably won't know for sure what he can be for another 4 or 5 years.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Broberg is an 8th overall 6'4" 22 year old who skates very well and is trending upwards.

He has far more pedigree than the others and did play like one in his latest stint.

It's hard to believe the Oilers would let that go for a 2nd round pick...

It also seems strange that the Oilers would let a team walk all over them like that. You're then just asking for it again next year. Oh well, I guess we will soon find out which way the cookie crumbles.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
no they didn't

and the Oilers were deep enough last year that Stetcher was the 8th D in the organization
now, some are penciling him in beside Nurse LOL
Its almost like coaches often go with what they know, especially with depth pieces rather than playing the new D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad