Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Why wait until the TDL? An injury to any of the top four might deep six the season.
Mainly as assets the level we are looking don’t really move at this juncture. More likely we league min Barrie/schultz which is gross and move them at the deadline or something of that nature

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not at all.

But I’m not convinced Ceci is either. At least not good enough to win a cup as one. The #2RHD spot needed to be upgraded. This move gives the Oilers the time and the ability to accrue cap space to add one come the deadline. Ceci had to go for cap reasons.
So we are back to needing another d-man?
Ceci was bad, but he’s better than Stetcher, Brown or Emberson

By the same logic, can you really justify 4.6 for Broberg?

I will say, this whole thing has been wildly entertaining, and it's pretty fun that we have no idea what they're going to do. Tonight I'm thinking we're going to hear about a Barrie signing tomorrow, but who knows.
Yes, he’s known to the organization
I thought we were done with the “what ifs”
This is supposed to be a Cup window

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Oilers are wrestling with whether all their fans will be angry with them tonight or just tomorrow.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
So we are back to needing another d-man?
Ceci was bad, but he’s better than Stetcher, Brown or Emberson

Yes, he’s known to the organization
I thought we were done with the “what ifs”
This is supposed to be a Cup window
Barrie's known to the organization too.

Signing Broberg at 4.6 is a massive risk. It could sewer this entire season if he's a bottom-pairing defenceman and they're unable to add to the defence because of his cap hit.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
we were always going to need another D man regardless.
So we got rid of 3 bonifide NHL d-men…and brought in 3 “maybes”

Barrie's known to the organization too.

Signing Broberg at 4.6 is a massive risk. It could sewer this entire season if he's a bottom-pairing defenceman and they're unable to add to the defence because of his cap hit.
Barrie is washed
Healthy scratch in Nashville but top 4 in Edmonton lol
That’s a sign of a thin defense

Reactions: oilers4life5

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
yup, and it always was the case even if we match Broberg, Hes just as much a maybe as the other guys at this point in his career and if match Broberg we probably have to dump Kulak and a forward or two. It makes no sense to keep Broberg.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Barrie is washed
Broberg, who played 12 games last season, playing his offside with Nurse in his first full season. That's the sign of a thin defence.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Barrie is washed
The cap is real. We have to extend Draisaitl, Bouchard and then McDavid next year.

When the offer sheets occured Broberg and Holloway became luxuries we couldn't afford until business is taken care of.

They could have waited a year so ultimately they chose their own fate.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Broberg, who played 12 games last season, playing his offside with Nurse in his first full season. That's the sign of a thin defence.
So they got rid of Ceci, for an unknown and cap space…in a Cup window lol
That is embarrassing

and shown nothing to indicate he can 20+ minutes for a full season
Then they were better of keeping Ceci for the time being
This defense is MUCH worse then the team that got to the SCF

Reactions: oilers4life5

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
That is embarrassing

it absolutely is. We were over the cap though and Ceci or Kulak had to go so we can accrue cap space over the season for upgrades at the deadline.

The defence is worse than last year with or without Broberg, I made a longish post 2 pages back about it. St Louis played the perfect hand to f*** us over.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That is embarrassing

Logically, if they don't match the offer sheets and they traded Ceci they know Kane is coming back at some point during the regular season. And they do know. Maybe Kane only misses a month and the club is getting its house in order.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
That is embarrassing
If I'm following correctly, trading Ceci opens up the possibility to add at the deadline. It really depends what they do with that cap space I guess. I don't understand what you wanted them to do? Re-sign Broberg and trade Ceci, or keep Ceci and be forced to move him or Kulak when Kane comes back?

Like I get they're in a crunch right now, but making some room for an upgrade seems like a logical option.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IF Holloway is upset, he signed the deal and knew there was a possibility. I really liked the kid and saw potential in him. He would've made a little less this year, but after a strong season or 2 he would've been a possible replacement for Kane and gotten a hefty raise. IF he wanted to remain an Oiler this was likely the wrong move.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
IF Holloway is upset, he signed the deal and knew there was a possibility. I really liked the kid and saw potential in him. He would've made a little less this year, but after a strong season or 2 he would've been a possible replacement for Kane and gotten a hefty raise. IF he wanted to remain an Oiler this was likely the wrong move.
I have no Ill will to the players for choosing money now over later. However, it makes me happy to hear reports that he isn't happy. He did sign the offersheet after all, can't blame the agent for that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That is embarrassing

Whats with all the Ceci love all of a sudden? Fans have been ripping him apart for 2 years, and suddenly trading him is a detriment to our cup window? Give me a break. We need cap space to find an upgrade on Ceci. Nobody was taking Ceci in an upgrade trade. So we dumped him for cap space and a younger player. Now we actually have the flexibility to add a top 4 defenseman. We will find out in the morning if that top a defenseman is Philip Broberg, or if our GM has to get to work, shopping St. Louis' 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Reactions: Thomas Tatar

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
it absolutely is. We were over the cap though and Ceci or Kulak had to go so we can accrue cap space over the season for upgrades at the deadline.

The defence is worse than last year with or without Broberg, I made a longish post 2 pages back about it. St Louis played the perfect hand to f*** us over.
we could easily LTIR Kane and make the Cap work, and figure out the cap if/when Kane returns
and I think the defense has the potential to be better with Broberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad