Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Funny how some of us were salivating over Broberg last year circa the Ekholm trade. He sounded soooo much better a year ago. Oilers fans wouldn't let him go. What happened? :dunno:

We got Molendyk and Schaefer instead, which sure seems like a win. :thumbu:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Funny how some of us were salivating over Broberg last year circa the Ekholm trade. He sounded soooo much better a year ago. Oilers fans wouldn't let him go. What happened? :dunno:

We got Molendyk and Schaefer instead, which sure seems like a win. :thumbu:
Not sold on Schaefer, but certainly not writing him off either based on the development curve of those bigger power style forwards. Molendyk has the potential to quickly surpass his draft location, so yeah it's funny how fast things change.

I still wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Broberg. I just don't know that we could give him the minutes he'd need to get back on track.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Broberg from Edmonton given permission to seek a trade. Barrie from Nashville given permission to seek a trade.

Maybe there is a match there
Oilers are jammed on the Cap, though. Even if we did full retention on Barrie, it wouldn't work. And if you ask around here, the fans will all come at you with "take our Jack Campbell contract".

Anyway, the way Stastney and Del Gaizo have looked, and with Molendyk coming, I don't see any need to try to do any contortions to bring in Broberg. Funny how that picture has changed so much since last year when it seemed like backfilling for Ekholm was going to be such a crisis.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The reason we ended up with Barrie rather than Broberg was that it took Barrie out plus retention on Ekholm to make the $$$$ work. Same reason we took on Foote from Tampa …. $$$$$.

At full retention, any team has to find a way to absorb or counterbalance over $2mil in hit for Barrie.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We don't have the minutes for him at the moment, for sure, and I agree a Barrie swap doesn't make sense for them cap-wise or us roster-wise. Only way I see it working is Barrie and either Fabbro, Lauzon, or Schenn (no chance, but I'd love to see) are moved, and we bring in Broberg in a separate trade to backfill that depth.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Digging around on Capfriendly, interesting tidbit - Broberg is waiver-exempt. Given our glut of picks over the next few years, I'd absolutely move one to get him, have him play top pairing, PP1 type minutes in Milwaukee, and see where it goes from there (assuming the price is actually a 3rd or so).

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Digging around on Capfriendly, interesting tidbit - Broberg is waiver-exempt. Given our glut of picks over the next few years, I'd absolutely move one to get him, have him play top pairing, PP1 type minutes in Milwaukee, and see where it goes from there (assuming the price is actually a 3rd or so).
Only waiver exempt till next year. He's a player id be interested in for sure and i think a future LHD core with him, Chistyakov, and Molendyk is a solid start. The problem is going into next season with josi, mcd, lauzon, del gaizo, Stastney, and Broberg at lhd is quite a glut with only stastney not requiring waivers (assuming he doesnt get another 55 games in this season). Either way, probably doesnt work out unless we send them stastney/del gaizo

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Only waiver exempt till next year. He's a player id be interested in for sure and i think a future LHD core with him, Chistyakov, and Molendyk is a solid start. The problem is going into next season with josi, mcd, lauzon, del gaizo, Stastney, and Broberg at lhd is quite a glut with only stastney not requiring waivers (assuming he doesnt get another 55 games in this season). Either way, probably doesnt work out unless we send them stastney/del gaizo
Fair enough, definitely does get dicier. I am very much in favor of trading Lauzon to clear some of that up - heck, I'd flip those two if Edmonton would/could. Having our top two LHDs in Josi and McD be as old as they are worries me, but I dont think it's realistic to move either of them.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Apparently the word is the Oilers want a player back which given their cap situation is pretty tough. Not necessarily advocating these but a 50% retained Lankinen would work and might be of interest to Edmonton. Sherwood or a 50% retained Trenin might be interesting to them as a cheap depth scorer which they are seriously lacking too.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Apparently the word is the Oilers want a player back which given their cap situation is pretty tough. Not necessarily advocating these but a 50% retained Lankinen would work and might be of interest to Edmonton. Sherwood or a 50% retained Trenin might be interesting to them as a cheap depth scorer which they are seriously lacking too.
id rather trade Lankinen for Holloway

maybe Lankinen+ Trenin for Broberg and Holloway?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’m not writing off this season or the playoffs… we have enough mediocre prospects already… getting NHL playoff games is going to be way more valuable to our current younger players. So I’ll just keep Lankinen and Trenin and Sherwood and anybody else making a contribution. At least until closer to the TDL. See where we’re at then.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Wild winning again tonight. Gonna vomit if Hynes wins the Jack Adams

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
Saros kept it respectable not Hynes. The team didn’t limit high danger chances yet also failed to generate offense . 18 th in expected goals 28th expected goals against

Similarly, and while it's too early to say one way or the other, the success Minnesota has seen since hiring Hynes coincides with Gustavsson seemingly finding his game in net again.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Honestly him being bad in Edmonton has me MORE interested. They can't develop anything short of a sure thing in McDrai.
At the very least it means he's well behind the development curve a defenseman his age should be at. And if he's that behind in development AND playing poorly AND whining about his playing time and asking for a trade (at 22?! Barrie, at his age and tenure in the game is a little more understandable), I just don't think it's worth the time and asset investment to try to bring that talent to fruition. Rather stick with Stastney and Del Gaizo, with Molendyk also in the wings over the next year or two.

And, frankly, Edmonton is not only poor at development, they have also been very poor at talent identification/selection, so it may not just be an issue of them handling him wrong. Book I hear on Broberg is that he's a guy with many tools, but no toolbox, which is an unteachable thing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
At the very least it means he's well behind the development curve a defenseman his age should be at. And if he's that behind in development AND playing poorly AND whining about his playing time and asking for a trade (at 22?! Barrie, at his age and tenure in the game is a little more understandable), I just don't think it's worth the time and asset investment to try to bring that talent to fruition. Rather stick with Stastney and Del Gaizo, with Molendyk also in the wings over the next year or two.

And, frankly, Edmonton is not only poor at development, they have also been very poor at talent identification/selection, so it may not just be an issue of them handling him wrong. Book I hear on Broberg is that he's a guy with many tools, but no toolbox, which is an unteachable thing.
Edmonton gave Nurse a massive contract and decided that Cody Ceci as their 1st pairing RHD was good nough. Their evaluation of defensive talent should be considered suspect but their acquisition of Ekholm made Broberg redundant which is why i figured he was going to be part of that trade

Edit: not to mention, broberg could join schultz, larsson, and petry as dmen who shine (even if just briefly) after leaving edmonton. They seem to have issues with developing dmen and goalies

Also when it comes to playtime, theyve been doing a 7 dmen thing with him. He honestly shouldve been getting big minutes in the AHL instead of minimal NHL minutes.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
You can only have so much smaller-sized D in your lineup. Carrier, Fabbro, Statsney, MDG are all on the smaller side. You can maybe fit two of those in your lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad