Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If Pietrangelo wins another Cup it’s tough to say anything other than he made the right choice to leave. But would he have HOF credentials after leading the defense of two championship clubs, especially with another strong Conn Smythe-like run?
He is playing great and I think you could argue that he has been the most important member of their team in the playoffs. He's playing just over 4 minutes a night more than anyone else on the team and getting great results. But he's not going to win a Conn Smythe by munching minutes and being "only" 8th on his team in scoring. I agree with @Thallis that he would need an award to go with two Cups for two teams to merit HOF consideration.

With that said, if they get to the Final I bet we will see a stat about the short list of skaters who have been the ice-time leader for two Cup winners with different organizations. If that is a 1 or 2 man list and Vegas wins the Cup, then maybe that gains enough traction to trigger the 'HOF or not' articles. I doubt it though.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Jesus. The future of their franchise hangs in the balance and they get outspent 8 to 1 on the campaign.

This entire situation is just flat out embarrassing.

The entire organization is. From building arena 20 years ago in crappy suburb on wrong side of town to leaving that arena for college rink to this. We have groups lining up to pay nearly billion dollars for team in ottawa. There has to be someone who will buy coyotes and move them to city with decent building.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I like the Phoenix area and love the Yotes’ Kachina unis, but I think most people are beyond tired of this whole ordeal.

Moving them is the right decision. I want it to be Quebec City or Sask but I’m guessing it’ll be in the US.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Damn, I really feel for the Coyotes fans. And I have had a few good trips planned around Yotes games vs the Blues, etc. But maybe it's time the NHL moves on.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m not going to dance on the Coyotes grave because there are people there that care about the team and it’s not their fault ownership/management has been such a fiasco. Having said that, this sure seems like it’s curtains on the whole Phoenix/suburb project. It would be at least a little funny if they relocated from Phoenix to Atlanta, the market that’s famously hockey mad.

Reactions: mk80 and BrokenFace

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
There’s almost zero chance the Coyotes will move to any city in the east since that would mean 17 teams in the east and only 15 in the west. That ain’t gonna happen. No team currently in the east would willingly move to the west due to the increased travel time plus too many games starting too late for their fans to watch. Kansas City has NO interest so that pretty much leaves Houston or possibly Salt Lake City.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
KC has a downtown stadium already available.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Jesus. The future of their franchise hangs in the balance and they get outspent 8 to 1 on the campaign.

This entire situation is just flat out embarrassing.

I don't know if I agree with the logic that spending more money = more votes. If the people don't want to pay for an arena, then we should respect their decision. They're the ones who would actually be affected by this.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
There’s almost zero chance the Coyotes will move to any city in the east since that would mean 17 teams in the east and only 15 in the west. That ain’t gonna happen. No team currently in the east would willingly move to the west due to the increased travel time plus too many games starting too late for their fans to watch. Kansas City has NO interest so that pretty much leaves Houston or possibly Salt Lake City.
Agreed. Can’t be Eastern time zone.

Thinking out loud here but here’s what I think the NHL needs to be able to move the Coyotes:

1. A city that the NHL considers viable long term to support an NHL franchise

2. A city with an arena, designed with viewing hockey in mind. (ie. American Airlines Center in Phoenix was designed specifically for basketball. I’d assume some of the other NBA arenas would be the same)

3. A city in either the Central, Mountain or Pacific time zones.

4. A super rich guy that’s interested in owning an NHL franchise in a city that meets the above 3 stipulations.

Does this situation even exist??

The 3 cities that pop into mind for me are Houston, San Antonio and Portland.

I would assume Houston and San Antonio would have arenas that would be deemed suitable for NHL hockey since they both used to have AHL franchises in those 2 buildings. Not sure if the NHL considers San Antonio viable though. But is there a rich guy in either city that would want to own an NHL team??

I don’t know anything about the arena the Trail Blazers play in but if it would be good for hockey, that’d be a good option IMO. But again, need a rich guy that’d want a team there.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Sucks to be a Coyotes fan. I've always had a soft spot for them...what can I say, the Kachina and their goal horn won me over years ago...but this is beyond due.

I'm betting Houston gets them because of their arena and rich owner situation, but I'd love to see a team in KC, that'd be a blast. KC has the arena but I'm not sure if they have an ownership group ready to take them over.

Reactions: ArenaRat

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Agreed. Can’t be Eastern time zone.

Thinking out loud here but here’s what I think the NHL needs to be able to move the Coyotes:

1. A city that the NHL considers viable long term to support an NHL franchise

2. A city with an arena, designed with viewing hockey in mind. (ie. American Airlines Center in Phoenix was designed specifically for basketball. I’d assume some of the other NBA arenas would be the same)

3. A city in either the Central, Mountain or Pacific time zones.

4. A super rich guy that’s interested in owning an NHL franchise in a city that meets the above 3 stipulations.

Does this situation even exist??

The 3 cities that pop into mind for me are Houston, San Antonio and Portland.

I would assume Houston and San Antonio would have arenas that would be deemed suitable for NHL hockey since they both used to have AHL franchises in those 2 buildings. Not sure if the NHL considers San Antonio viable though. But is there a rich guy in either city that would want to own an NHL team??

I don’t know anything about the arena the Trail Blazers play in but if it would be good for hockey, that’d be a good option IMO. But again, need a rich guy that’d want a team there.
I don’t see SA as viable market. already have spurs and knowing market as I do, doesn’t seem like would be deep base of support for nhl. Austin woukd actually make a lot of sense for nhl team, but not sure they have arena.

Houston I think would work if rockets owner buys team since he controls arena. Toyota center is actually really similar to Glendale arena but it is located in downtown Houston so that isn’t an issue.

jazz owner has expressed interest in bringing team to salt lake. That would be interesting market too.

Reactions: ArenaRat

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Ouch.

Watch. Instead of moving the team to a city that already has a viable building, they’ll just pick a new spot in a different suburb and try again.

My understanding was there was a backup plan on Native land. Maybe that was a false PR appearance of a backup rather than realistic. I think most close observers rather expected the arena to go through.

Pretty crazy situation.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t see SA as viable market. already have spurs and knowing market as I do, doesn’t seem like would be deep base of support for nhl. Austin woukd actually make a lot of sense for nhl team, but not sure they have arena.

Houston I think would work if rockets owner buys team since he controls arena. Toyota center is actually really similar to Glendale arena but it is located in downtown Houston so that isn’t an issue.

jazz owner has expressed interest in bringing team to salt lake. That would be interesting market too.
I agree, San Antonio is not realistic.

I think it’s Houston, then everyone else. I’d prefer a smaller community with more intense fan support like SLC or Quebec City, but I don’t see it.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

I know next to nothing about San Antonio so I’ll take your word for it.

The main stumbling block IMO is going to be finding a guy that’d want to buy the Coyotes and move them to one of these cities. If SLC already has that guy, perhaps that gives them a leg up.

Why would Austin be better though? What makes them more viable than SA?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don't know if I agree with the logic that spending more money = more votes. If the people don't want to pay for an arena, then we should respect their decision. They're the ones who would actually be affected by this.
The people wouldn’t have paid for the arena though. It was one of the best arena deals for residents I’ve ever seen.

Not sure what to say if you don’t think a highly funded advertising campaign can’t be effective. We humans hate to admit it but we’re pretty susceptible to marketing and advertising.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I know next to nothing about San Antonio so I’ll take your word for it.

The main stumbling block IMO is going to be finding a guy that’d want to buy the Coyotes and move them to one of these cities. If SLC already has that guy, perhaps that gives them a leg up.

Why would Austin be better though? What makes them more viable than SA?
Austin is growing faster than SA, is wealthier than SA, has more white collar workforce, more transplants from other US large cities (as opposed to transplants from Mexico or Rio Grande Valley), and doesn't have NBA team it would have to compete with.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Austin is growing faster than SA, is wealthier than SA, has more white collar workforce, more transplants from other US large cities (as opposed to transplants from Mexico or Rio Grande Valley), and doesn't have NBA team it would have to compete with.
Yes but, as has been said before, no arena (at least not that I'm aware of). The only competition would be Austin FC in MLS. Different sport and different league but competition just the same.

I agree Houston is the front runner in this, but Salt Lake could actually work. The only hiccup there would be the team would be in the Mountain Time Zone and the Central Division. Of course, that hasn't presented any problems for Colorado, so...

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Check out the article from SportsNet. I hadn't even thought about Tulsa or OKC. Maybe let OKC have basketball and let Tulsa have hockey:
Possible new cities for the Coyotes
I hadn't realized the Sacramento Kings owner was involved in a pursuit of the Senators either. My guess is the NHL's preference is to keep the Coyotes in the Central Division first and foremost, so Houston, SLC, KC, OKC/Tulsa are probably in that order. I would also wonder about Milwaukee too and how the Bucks ownership would feel about bringing the NHL to their newish building. But at worst moving to Sacramento and chucking an extra team into the Pacific Division or swapping the Golden Knights maybe, wouldn't be the worst solution ever.

Edit:
Apparently this tweet is circulating around as being from Clayton Keller's dad, I'm skeptical about the truth of that.

qhbcuu5dhg0b1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad