Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If the propositions had passed, they still would’ve played at Mullet Arena next season as it takes a while to build a new arena. It’s why they’ve been taking on contracts with low dollar commitments but high cap hits - to minimize actual cash expenditures while their gate sales will be super low. Playing next season at Mullet has already been budgeted and a part of the plan.

Beyond that is now a big ? though.
I would say design, permitting, bidding and construction would put you at 2 years or more. Given all the mechanical/HVAC wait times, maybe three years from project kickoff.

I would guess they have a design firm already working in a master planning / schematic design, plus due diligence going concurrently. So they may be 6months into that already, but AZ is basement level cheap, so who knows.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Keller’s agent released a statement regarding Clayton’s concerns over the AZ arena situation.

It’s worded in a fairly strong manner.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Can’t find it. But Keller’s Dad apparently tweeted that Clayton will not play for the Coyotes again.

And nope, I don’t have that twat either.

I saw the dads tweet but not anything the agent said. I really hope it's true and he wants to come home. I'm not sure I would trade Kyrou for him but it's close. When I say not sure I would, I'm not entirely sure if that's because I don't want to or because I don't think it's a fair trade. I think Keller and Kyrou together would be impressivley fun to watch though.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
I saw the dads tweet but not anything the agent said. I really hope it's true and he wants to come home. I'm not sure I would trade Kyrou for him but it's close. When I say not sure I would, I'm not entirely sure if that's because I don't want to or because I don't think it's a fair trade. I think Keller and Kyrou together would be impressivley fun to watch though.
If Arizona moves out Keller I doubt it'd be for Kyrou. I'd imagine it'd be a picks/ NHL ready prospects package in order to keep their actual dollars payroll as low as possible for a relocation/sale next year. With what's going on in Arizona I'd bet every vet in hockey has Arizona on a NTC shortlist anyway.

And for the record, hell yeah give me Keller. Lightning fast, great scoring touch (dang 37 goals last year), very solid defensively and on the PK (flawed stat but I'm impressed he was only a -2 on that dumpster fire of a team) and he's locked up until 2028 on a 7 mill a year contract. It'd probably take Bolduc + at least a first+ (maybe 10 OA) unless Clayton pulls a Tkachuk and forces his GM to take a bad deal to send him here. Fingers crossed.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I really find that tweet by his agent. I posted about it, but didn’t think to copy it. Kinda lamed out there. I’ll try to find it.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Here's one of the posts I found on HFCoyotes.

EDIT: The linked tweet appears to be gone now, but one Yotes peep copied the quotes from the tweet. The post above must be what I was talking about.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If Arizona moves out Keller I doubt it'd be for Kyrou. I'd imagine it'd be a picks/ NHL ready prospects package in order to keep their actual dollars payroll as low as possible for a relocation/sale next year. With what's going on in Arizona I'd bet every vet in hockey has Arizona on a NTC shortlist anyway.

And for the record, hell yeah give me Keller. Lightning fast, great scoring touch (dang 37 goals last year), very solid defensively and on the PK (flawed stat but I'm impressed he was only a -2 on that dumpster fire of a team) and he's locked up until 2028 on a 7 mill a year contract. It'd probably take Bolduc + at least a first+ (maybe 10 OA) unless Clayton pulls a Tkachuk and forces his GM to take a bad deal to send him here. Fingers crossed.
Trade demands by players with term left don’t go well. Tkachuk had leverage because his deal was about to be up. Keller and his dad or agent can complain all they want about a trade - they have no leverage, though, because he’s signed for 4 more years.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Trade demands by players with term left don’t go well. Tkachuk had leverage because his deal was about to be up. Keller and his dad or agent can complain all they want about a trade - they have no leverage, though, because he’s signed for 4 more years.

Plenty of leverage by refusing to play. Other teams know he's a good player stuck in a terrible spot in Arizona and wont hold it against him forcing his way out.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Plenty of leverage by refusing to play. Other teams know he's a good player stuck in a terrible spot in Arizona and wont hold it against him forcing his way out.
There are already idiots around the league calling him "privileged" and "cry baby" .. Well, yeah. I worked my dick into the dirt since I was 8 years old to play at this level and help my team win. Not play geographical musical chairs with a floundering franchise as I'm approaching the prime of my career.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yes and no. Any player thinking about refusing to play needs to check their bank accounts first.

Reactions: tfriede2

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Here's one of the posts I found on HFCoyotes.

EDIT: The linked tweet appears to be gone now, but one Yotes peep copied the quotes from the tweet. The post above must be what I was talking about.
Yes, Keller’s agents were in Phoenix and were on a Coyotes fan podcast. That’s where the quotes are from - them saying that’s why they were in town and that they were meeting with Coyotes management later in the day.

The main message was that Keller is aiming for excellence and he wants to be in an organization that wants the same thing. That said, he has little leverage to actually force things but can do what Chychrun did - ask for a trade and wait and see if Bill Army can pull off a trade that doesn’t take on money.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yes, Keller’s agents were in Phoenix and were on a Coyotes fan podcast. That’s where the quotes are from - them saying that’s why they were in town and that they were meeting with Coyotes management later in the day.

The main message was that Keller is aiming for excellence and he wants to be in an organization that wants the same thing. That said, he has little leverage to actually force things but can do what Chychrun did - ask for a trade and wait and see if Bill Army can pull off a trade that doesn’t take on money.
Thank you for fleshing that out.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Keller has no trade protection for another year, so I would think Arizona can get some attractive offers for him to destinations he may not find as attractive. I can’t see St Louis in that bidding war.

I know very little about the arena deal that was voted down, but my understanding was that it was privately funded, As opposed to some of the publicly financed arenas where cities get a bad deal. On the surface it looks like it was a great deal for Tempe. What were the big objections and why did people vote NO.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Keller has no trade protection for another year, so I would think Arizona can get some attractive offers for him to destinations he may not find as attractive. I can’t see St Louis in that bidding war.

I know very little about the arena deal that was voted down, but my understanding was that it was privately funded, As opposed to some of the publicly financed arenas where cities get a bad deal. On the surface it looks like it was a great deal for Tempe. What were the big objections and why did people vote NO.
From what I have gathered the coyotes didn't spend a lot of money on advertising the benefits of the proposition while the opposition heavily outspent them.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

If it was 100% privately funded they wouldn't have voted on it. The "arena" was privately funded. Taxpayers would have paid for site cleanup and infrastructure and other costs/tax breaks. It may have been better than many other arena deals, but it wasn't free to the voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad