Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not receiving tax revenue from a multibillion dollar development does have costs/consequences. Ideologically, I'm generally opposed to the money that flows from cities/municipalities to large corporate entities and I do think there is a good argument that the Coyotes were trying to hide behind the 'private financing' terminology to ignore the benefit of these tax breaks.

However, the point being made by @Xerloris is that the tax breaks would have been from taxes on the revenue/profits derived from the development. If there is no development and the land continues to just be an environmental concern, the city is still receiving zero tax revenue from the land to put toward schools, roads, police, or anything else. Considering that the land is currently a very negative value asset for the city, I'm not sure that development is going to happen without the city offering financial incentive to a developer. Building on former mining and waste disposal areas without any existing infrastructure is generally a huge pain in the ass. I think this is a situation where there is a good argument that this land is going to generate zero tax revenue for the city over (at least a lot of) the period of time that the team would have been receiving the tax breaks.

The 'cost' of $500M in tax breaks isn't just $500M of losses to the city when the alternative is a peace of land that generates no tax revenue.
I think you are seriously underestimating the value of this land from a developer perspective, even with the necessary environmental remediation. When the city originally opened up this land for development proposals, I believe they purposely stipulated that any bid for developing the site had to have a professional sports team attached (essentially guaranteeing that the coyotes would be the only legit bidders). I have very little doubt that other developers would still love to get a chance to build on the purposed location, and that such development would generate significant tax revenue.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Not receiving tax revenue from a multibillion dollar development does have costs/consequences. Ideologically, I'm generally opposed to the money that flows from cities/municipalities to large corporate entities and I do think there is a good argument that the Coyotes were trying to hide behind the 'private financing' terminology to ignore the benefit of these tax breaks.

However, the point being made by @Xerloris is that the tax breaks would have been from taxes on the revenue/profits derived from the development. If there is no development and the land continues to just be an environmental concern, the city is still receiving zero tax revenue from the land to put toward schools, roads, police, or anything else. Considering that the land is currently a very negative value asset for the city, I'm not sure that development is going to happen without the city offering financial incentive to a developer. Building on former mining and waste disposal areas without any existing infrastructure is generally a huge pain in the ass. I think this is a situation where there is a good argument that this land is going to generate zero tax revenue for the city over (at least a lot of) the period of time that the team would have been receiving the tax breaks.

The 'cost' of $500M in tax breaks isn't just $500M of losses to the city when the alternative is a peace of land that generates no tax revenue.
Case in point: The City of Glendale still owes over $100M for Gila River Arena.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Imagine working for Shanahan. That guy wants what that guy wants. He wanted Janney's wife, so locker room cohesion had to go and we as fans had to live with it. When he was giving that press conference saying Dubas was done because of a press conference Dubas had to be so pissed, it's why the next day the stuff is coming out how Shanahan undercut and inserted himself into significant decisions. Shanahan is a betrayer. That's how he competes. You don't matter. He matters. It would be hilarious to watch Armstrong work for that.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I mean a large part of our fanbase want him fired.

Most Blues fans are not smart enough to understand the game either.
Imagine working for Shanahan. That guy wants what that guy wants. He wanted Janney's wife, so locker room cohesion had to go and we as fans had to live with it. When he was giving that press conference saying Dubas was done because of a press conference Dubas had to be so pissed, it's why the next day the stuff is coming out how Shanahan undercut and inserted himself into significant decisions. Shanahan is a betrayer. That's how he competes. You don't matter. He matters. It would be hilarious to watch Armstrong work for that.

Isn't that literally his job? To insert himself into significant decisions?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
good thing we did not trade for him. kyrou is a much better leader and player.
I remember when you were talking about how he was a playoff no show just like his dad.

Also so you can't deny it.

As a bonus you also wanted us to get Eichel and not Tkachuk

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Isn't that literally his job? To insert himself into significant decisions?
In a way that undermines the decisions the GM wants to make? Hello. That is a message aimed at sabotaging the next GM search.

That information being put out there in the immediate aftermath of Shanahan's press conference was aimed at undermining the next GM search. "If you accept this GM job in Toronto ... not only are you in a media crucible of second guessing your every decision, you are also going to be undermined by your boss in key moments and you will ultimately be held responsible for the moves he makes in your name that you disagree with. So enjoy."

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
In a way that undermines the decisions the GM wants to make? Hello. That is a message aimed at sabotaging the next GM search.

That information being put out there in the immediate aftermath of Shanahan's press conference was aimed at undermining the next GM search. "If you accept this GM job in Toronto ... not only are you in a media crucible of second guessing your every decision, you are also going to be undermined by your boss in key moments and you will ultimately be held responsible for the moves he makes in your name that you disagree with. So enjoy."
I saw Shanahan’s comments, but I’ve missed something. What moves did Dubas disagree with that were over-ridden?

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I remember when you were talking about how he was a playoff no show just like his dad.

Also so you can't deny it.

As a bonus you also wanted us to get Eichel and not Tkachuk

This post needs copied to a certain thread...

giphy.gif

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I saw Shanahan’s comments, but I’ve missed something. What moves did Dubas disagree with that were over-ridden?
Sounds like it was the other end of the horse; aka Shanny stepping in and denying certain moves.

And obviously money is never a concern in these matters, so Dubas knew he was a martyr.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm just taking an educated guess and saying Sundqvist will not be re-signed by Minny seeing as though they need to shed salary and likely can't pay him what he wants. Dude loves St. Louis and is a nice player to have in your bottom 6. What are the odds Army signs him in the offseason and Sunny takes a discount to the team he won the cup with? What could he command just based off his production and injury history?

He'd be a nice bottom 6 addition and I doubt guys like Bolduc or Dean will be ready for the NHL right away; Alexandrov should be on the opening day roster and who knows if a guy like McGing will make the roster/be re-signed. I'm over the Leivo and Brown experiment, so that'll free up 1.5 mil in cap and two contracts.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm just taking an educated guess and saying Sundqvist will not be re-signed by Minny seeing as though they need to shed salary and likely can't pay him what he wants. Dude loves St. Louis and is a nice player to have in your bottom 6. What are the odds Army signs him in the offseason and Sunny takes a discount to the team he won the cup with? What could he command just based off his production and injury history?

He'd be a nice bottom 6 addition and I doubt guys like Bolduc or Dean will be ready for the NHL right away; Alexandrov should be on the opening day roster and who knows if a guy like McGing will make the roster/be re-signed. I'm over the Leivo and Brown experiment, so that'll free up 1.5 mil in cap and two contracts.
Money was a factor when we moved him the first time, but so was his skating (after an injury). Maybe we can get him for cheap now, but can he still play at a high level?

Reactions: Spicy Panger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad