Bonita Springs, FL
Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
5 Maple Leafs GM candidates to keep an eye on - NorthStar Bets

CP11293786-scaled-e1684807730295.jpg

Doug Armstrong

Current Job: St. Louis Blues General Manager and President of Hockey Operations

Experience: 18 seasons as a NHL GM with St. Louis and Dallas, plus another nine in Dallas/Minnesota as an Assistant GM

The Scoop: Let’s call this a wild card in the deck because Armstrong is still gainfully employed. He’s actually under contract through 2025-26 in St. Louis. Despite that, there’s been industry buzz about the possibility of Armstrong coming to Toronto since the Dubas news came down. And why not? He would be the steadiest hand Shanahan could possibly find and would bring a Stanley Cup pedigree to an organization still trying to climb that mountain. Would St. Louis actually let him go? Would Armstrong actually want to make that jump? Would it require the Leafs to surrender an asset to get him? Still more questions than answers here.

• Haha
Reactions: Xerloris

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
5 Maple Leafs GM candidates to keep an eye on - NorthStar Bets

CP11293786-scaled-e1684807730295.jpg

Doug Armstrong

Current Job: St. Louis Blues General Manager and President of Hockey Operations

Experience: 18 seasons as a NHL GM with St. Louis and Dallas, plus another nine in Dallas/Minnesota as an Assistant GM

The Scoop: Let’s call this a wild card in the deck because Armstrong is still gainfully employed. He’s actually under contract through 2025-26 in St. Louis. Despite that, there’s been industry buzz about the possibility of Armstrong coming to Toronto since the Dubas news came down. And why not? He would be the steadiest hand Shanahan could possibly find and would bring a Stanley Cup pedigree to an organization still trying to climb that mountain. Would St. Louis actually let him go? Would Armstrong actually want to make that jump? Would it require the Leafs to surrender an asset to get him? Still more questions than answers here.
I will breathe much easier when Leafs hire someone else. i don't THINK he would take Leafs job, but until they fill it I don't KNOW.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah I'm sure Doug wants to leave Stl where he has total control of hockey ops to have 17 different bosses and hear about TPS Reports while living under a microscope with several million people who think they know better than him. If only he wasn't contractually bound he'd be all over that!
I think the odds are very good that Army would love to be the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He would immediately become the highest paid GM in the sport and he has enough experience/clout to negotiate for more autonomy than most candidates. Winning a Cup in Toronto would put him into the conversation for best hockey executive of all time. The position is absolutely appealing.

With that said, I do think that Toronto is unlikely to budge on enough red tape for him to actually accept the position and I don't think that Stillman would grant him permission. Stillman has given Army about the maximum autonomy that an executive can get and naming him both GM and President of Hockey Ops means that this would be a technical demotion (even if it comes with a pay increase). Part of that organizational loyalty is based on the long-term commitment made by both parties.

If Shanny gets canned in the coming week, then I could see Stillman allowing Army to interview with Toronto on the condition that it be fore a combined GM and President role. Assuming that doesn't happen, I think Stillman should (and will) decline permission to interview. The removal of draft pick compensation really gives us no incentive to let our GM walk weeks before the organization's most important draft in over a decade.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
And then Armstrong would have 10 people looking over his shoulder! Stl he is the man! That being said, we will take Knies and your first!

Never hurts to ask!

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I would, yes. But what incentive does Stillman have to allow DA to leave? Still wouldn’t be concerned even if Leafs canned Shanahan.
If your key employee tells you it's his desire to go work somewhere else, how do you stop him? I mean legally you can, of course, but these are types of jobs you want your guy to be all in and if he isn't..

Reactions: hockeywiz542

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If your key employee tells you it's his desire to go work somewhere else, how do you stop him? I mean legally you can, of course, but these are types of jobs you want your guy to be all in and if he isn't..
This is predicated on the assumption that DA would go to Stillman and say he wants the Toronto job; I don’t think DA would do that. Contracts exist for a reason. If DA wanted career flexibility, he would have signed a shorter contract or negotiated an “out” clause.

But IF DA were to state his desire to Stillman to work for Toronto, I just don’t see the incentive for Stillman to let one of the best GMs in the world work for a rival…and I have no concerns that DA would mail it in or not be invested in his job here if Stillman were to decline…

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
This happening is almost a 100% improbability, so what’s the point?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
you don't know that. you are speculating. you are likely right, but you are saying no point in speculating on what to do because you are speculating it won't happen.
So are you. Do you have something better than your trite “speculation”?

Did you not download the most recent AI dialogue patch?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So are you. Do you have something better than your trite “speculation”?

Did you not download the most recent AI dialogue patch?
of course i am speculating. that is point. but i don't tell everyone else that i know better and they should quit discussing. not sure what is going on with you these days, but you used to be a decent fellow.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I thought we were building Bill Armstrong up to take over the blues someday and I was fine with it. I'm not sure who our #2 guy is now to take over when DA calls it quits.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Florida most likely going to the cup final they’re having quite the playoff run. They might be a team of destiny this year, I hope they beat either Dallas or Vegas. Must be hard to watch as a Flames fan lol.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Is Armstrong going to leave that setup to be second in charge in Toronto behind Shanahan? Well, Lou Lamoriello did it for three seasons from 2015 to ’18, but Lamoriello is now with the New York Islanders, and his replacement, Dubas, is now looking for a job. Either Shanahan would have to allow some give in having the final say — and why would he do that? — or Armstrong would be giving up a lot of power because he’s infatuated with the idea of working for the Maple Leafs.

Sure there would be a massive reward if all went well, but if it didn’t in four or five years, he’d be 62 or 63 years old and looking for a new place to land.

Granted, Armstrong’s position with the Blues right now isn’t perfect. The team missed the playoffs this season and has limited flexibility to alter the roster because of the long-term contracts on the books.

And yes, Armstrong is responsible for that, so feel free to criticize him. But on the flip side, he has a better pulse of the organization than any person on the planet, and he knows the strengths and weaknesses of every player on the roster and every prospect in the system. His masterful work at the trade deadline has bolstered the organization with three first-round picks, one of which belonged to the Leafs. He’s put months of work into how to use those picks, and soon it will be time to execute that plan.

So that brings us back to the point: Why would Stillman want anyone else to be at the wheel for the retool? I don’t believe he does, and that’s why I think he’s not going to give Shanahan permission to have that dialogue.

Maybe the only way it could happen is if Armstrong went to Stillman and said, “Hey, I’d like to talk to the Maple Leafs.” And is he really going to ask that of the owner who promoted him to president of hockey operations, made him one of the highest-paid executives in the league, allowed him to spend to the salary cap with a small-market team every year, stay long enough to win a Stanley Cup, work simultaneously for Team Canada, and so on?

That would be the gutsiest decision Armstrong has made in his hockey career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad