Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm just taking an educated guess and saying Sundqvist will not be re-signed by Minny seeing as though they need to shed salary and likely can't pay him what he wants. Dude loves St. Louis and is a nice player to have in your bottom 6. What are the odds Army signs him in the offseason and Sunny takes a discount to the team he won the cup with? What could he command just based off his production and injury history?

He'd be a nice bottom 6 addition and I doubt guys like Bolduc or Dean will be ready for the NHL right away; Alexandrov should be on the opening day roster and who knows if a guy like McGing will make the roster/be re-signed. I'm over the Leivo and Brown experiment, so that'll free up 1.5 mil in cap and two contracts.
Sunny's next contract is interesting.

He's never played at a 35+ point pace and Minnesota only wound up playing him in 1 game in the playoffs this year. He was hurt down the stretch, returned for a game in the playoffs, but was then called a healthy scratch for games after that. I'm sure he wasn't 100%, but it does appear that the decision to leave him out was over effectiveness and not ability to play. We all view him as that swiss army knife player that can slide around the bottom/middle 6, but his two stops elsewhere saw him unable to seize opportunity. He's never developed a knack for winning faceoffs and seems best suited as a winger who can cover C in a pinch rather than an everyday center.

He should see a noticeable pay cut from the $2.75M AAV on his expiring deal, but I do wonder if he still has the ability to demand an AAV starting with a 2 and a bit of term. My gut tells me that he's going to have to settle for a 1 year deal if he wants an AAV north of $2M but could likely get $1.75M or so on a 2 year deal.

He very clearly considers St. Louis home (at least his North American home) and I'd wager that he'd consider leaving some money on the table for a bit of stability. I'd like to see Army offer $1.25M x 2 years with a full NTC. I could very much live with him turning that down for more money elsewhere, but I'd be happy to give him the security of a NTC and 2 year commitment to bring in his skillset at $1.25M against the cap.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Sounds like it was the other end of the horse; aka Shanny stepping in and denying certain moves.

And obviously money is never a concern in these matters, so Dubas knew he was a martyr.
Doesn’t every GM work with those constraints? They are answering to the ownership group about big moves, in some fashion. In this case it’s through the president of hockey operations.

We‘ve heard Doug Armstrong talk about taking offers to the owner first, and I’d have to think ST Louis has the least meddling style. Contrast that with the stuff Armstrong in Arizona has to deal worth. I guess I don’t see Dubas’ situation terribly differently. He got to hire his coach.

There may be some legit beefs with how Shanahan managed him, but all I’ve seen on this forum is bizarre character assertions from the distant past, about unrelated issues. Is there anything concrete to this today?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Doesn’t every GM work with those constraints? They are answering to the ownership group about big moves, in some fashion. In this case it’s through the president of hockey operations.

We‘ve heard Doug Armstrong talk about taking offers to the owner first, and I’d have to think ST Louis has the least meddling style. Contrast that with the stuff Armstrong in Arizona has to deal worth. I guess I don’t see Dubas’ situation terribly differently. He got to hire his coach.

There may be some legit beefs with how Shanahan managed him, but all I’ve seen on this forum is bizarre character assertions from the distant past, about unrelated issues. Is there anything concrete to this today?
A guy like DA, he and Stillman talk from time to time about the state of the team, but my sense is that unless he wants to add big $ or deal franchise cornerstone that he has pretty much free reign on transactions. Dubas apparently didn't. He apparently needed sign off from Shanny and also ownership on a variety of transactions, some of which were apparently blocked. Which would be frustrating for anyone in his shoes. That said, DA has longer history (and more success) as GM than Dubas did.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Whether Shanahan — again, based on the idea that he’s looking at people with GM experience — will reach out to former GMs like Jason Botterill and Marc Bergevin remains to be seen. Bergevin, who spent 10 years in the frying pan of Montreal, was recently interviewed in Calgary and Pittsburgh.

That brings us to Doug Armstrong. The Leafs’ GM search was about five minutes old this past weekend when people began to mention Armstrong’s name as a possible candidate.

The Blues GM certainly checks all the boxes as far as experience and a Cup ring — not to mention the kind of confidence and wherewithal to withstand the pressure-packed demands of the Toronto market.

For starters, I do not believe Armstrong has an actual “out” in his contract with the Blues. He signed a five-year extension in September 2021 that runs through the 2025-26 season.

But I also think Armstrong has the kind of strong relationship with Blues owner Tom Stillman that if the Maple Leafs approached Stillman about it, maybe he would be OK with it if it’s something that Armstrong really wanted. Maybe, maybe not. Pretty hard to know exactly how Stillman would react.

Would Shanahan see that as too many hoops to go through? It’s pretty unusual for a GM to get pried away when still under contract for multiple years.

But Armstrong might be worth the hassle. Again, I have no idea at this point whether Shanahan would go down that road. Or whether Armstrong would, though maybe there has been a hint of it.

During a sit-down interview with Armstrong I did back in October 2019, a few months after the Blues won the Cup, I remember asking Armstrong whether being a GM in Canada was something he aspired to before his career was over. His close friend Ken Holland had been hired in Edmonton five months earlier. And the reason I asked the question at the time was also taht Armstrong has had such a long history of Team Canada involvement, from being GM of the World Cup-winning team in September 2016 to being part of Steve Yzerman’s management staff for the 2010 and 2014 Olympics. He’s GM of Canada’s team at the World Championship right now and, of course, was slated to be Canada’s GM at the Beijing Olympics last year had the NHL not pulled out.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah I'm sure Doug wants to leave Stl where he has total control of hockey ops to have 17 different bosses and hear about TPS Reports while living under a microscope with several million people who think they know better than him. If only he wasn't contractually bound he'd be all over that!
Totally! Get after it, Dougie!!

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
I see comments of players and / or picks being offered for Army. Is that legal? I mean hypothetically could Stillman say we will let him go for Knies & a second round pick? Thanks

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I see comments of players and / or picks being offered for Army. Is that legal? I mean hypothetically could Stillman say we will let him go for Knies & a second round pick? Thanks

If you take Peter Chiarelli right now I'll write you an IOU for that 2024 2nd back. How does that sound? Should I start the paperwork?

• Haha
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Imagine we let Armstrong walk and have chiarelli run things this off-season. I’d probably give up on the blues for the next couple years if that happens
squidward-reaction.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mk80 and BlueOil

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
See this where? Anywhere reputable or just leaf’s fans spouting off?
Comments from fans etc. I was sure trading players or picks for rights to another teams management was not allowed and just wanted to make sure that was the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad