Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I hadn't realized the Sacramento Kings owner was involved in a pursuit of the Senators either. My guess is the NHL's preference is to keep the Coyotes in the Central Division first and foremost, so Houston, SLC, KC, OKC/Tulsa are probably in that order. I would also wonder about Milwaukee too and how the Bucks ownership would feel about bringing the NHL to their newish building. But at worst moving to Sacramento and chucking an extra team into the Pacific Division or swapping the Golden Knights maybe, wouldn't be the worst solution ever.

Edit:
Apparently this tweet is circulating around as being from Clayton Keller's dad, I'm skeptical about the truth of that.

qhbcuu5dhg0b1.jpg

He can come on home any time.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I could see Clayton Keller with the Note since we were unable to slake our post-Patty Maroon local-hero thirst with the Tkachuk boys.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The people wouldn’t have paid for the arena though. It was one of the best arena deals for residents I’ve ever seen.

Not sure what to say if you don’t think a highly funded advertising campaign can’t be effective. We humans hate to admit it but we’re pretty susceptible to marketing and advertising.

Fair points. I guess the people living there just don't give a damn about hockey. This whole situation is a joke at this point.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yes but, as has been said before, no arena (at least not that I'm aware of). The only competition would be Austin FC in MLS. Different sport and different league but competition just the same.

I agree Houston is the front runner in this, but Salt Lake could actually work. The only hiccup there would be the team would be in the Mountain Time Zone and the Central Division. Of course, that hasn't presented any problems for Colorado, so...
I think Austin makes more sense as expansion team down the road. I expect once coyotes move league will start next round of expansion.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Right now the latest is they will play at Mullet next season. I'd imagine there's a ton of variables to to be sorted out.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yes but, as has been said before, no arena (at least not that I'm aware of). The only competition would be Austin FC in MLS. Different sport and different league but competition just the same.

I agree Houston is the front runner in this, but Salt Lake could actually work. The only hiccup there would be the team would be in the Mountain Time Zone and the Central Division. Of course, that hasn't presented any problems for Colorado, so...
The major sport and competition in Texas is high school football.

I know well the I-35 corridor from SA to Dallas. Austin and San Antonio are very close to connecting as a contiguous metropolitan area.

Waco is not too far north of Austin, but there’s more space between it and Austin than there is between Austin & SA.

It is known as the Austin-San Antonio Corridor. Any hockey arena would most likely be in that hazy middle space. But all sports have to deal with HS football, which is seasonal of course, and any other local Texan thing. Generally speaking, Texans are very loyal to their local sports teams.

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Plan B for the Coyotes is to negotiate with the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Tribes, who are on primo, mostly-empty land directly across a highway from Scottsdale.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The major sport and competition in Texas is high school football.

I know well the I-35 corridor from SA to Dallas. Austin and San Antonio are very close to connecting as a contiguous metropolitan area.

Waco is not too far north of Austin, but there’s more space between it and Austin than there is between Austin & SA.

It is known as the Austin-San Antonio Corridor. Any hockey arena would most likely be in that hazy middle space. But all sports have to deal with HS football, which is seasonal of course, and any other local Texan thing. Generally speaking, Texans are very loyal to their local sports teams.
they're not gonna put a hockey arena in San Marcos or New Braunfels. If they put it anywhere needs to be in Austin area. The 600 or so hockey fans in San Antone can make the commute to Austin for games.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
they're not gonna put a hockey arena in San Marcos or New Braunfels. If they put it anywhere needs to be in Austin area. The 600 or so hockey fans in San Antone can make the commute to Austin for games.
You’ve missed the entire point.

For all intents and purposes, San Antonio is the Austin area. Placing an arena between SA proper and Austin is the way to go. No matter how much San Marcos and New Braunfels despise the two cities connecting, it is happening.

There is also the Texas Stars to deal with. They play just to the north of Austin. Arena location will be massive in any Austin proposal. In the end, I don’t see it happening.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
One of the dumber sporting decisions in the last 20 years is the Coyotes moving to an arena an hour from downtown Phoenix to play 41 home games miles away from their core fanbase. I believe that was orchestrated by Jerry Colangelo but I could be misremembering. I’ve been visiting Scottsdale for two decades…they’ve become a joke but that franchise could’ve been successful.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You’ve missed the entire point.

For all intents and purposes, San Antonio is the Austin area. Placing an arena between SA proper and Austin is the way to go. No matter how much San Marcos and New Braunfels despise the two cities connecting, it is happening.

There is also the Texas Stars to deal with. They play just to the north of Austin. Arena location will be massive in any Austin proposal. In the end, I don’t see it happening.
That is simplistic to say that they are same area. while some folks do commute from one to the other, the cities have distinct flavors. Putting a nhl arena next to a buccees and outlet mall in San Marcus is not a good idea.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Austin is growing faster than SA, is wealthier than SA, has more white collar workforce, more transplants from other US large cities (as opposed to transplants from Mexico or Rio Grande Valley), and doesn't have NBA team it would have to compete with.
All true. But it’s also probably too close to Dallas. I think the sheer population of Houston takes the advantage.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
All true. But it’s also probably too close to Dallas. I think the sheer population of Houston takes the advantage.
I think Houston would be better (and not just bc I live here), but I don’t think proximity to Dallas is major issue. They are 200 miles apart, which is about same distance as Houston and SA and we both have nba teams. Seattle is only 140 miles from Vancouver and they seem to be doing great.

Reactions: eibyyz

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
If coyotes are moving, I think Houston is the clear front runner. KC and Atlanta or Milwaukee would be other candidates.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think (and hope) the Coyotes will play in Mullet Arena in 2023/24, but I don't take the NHL and team's statements as such as confirmation. The NHL and Thrashers were confirming that the team would be playing the next season in Atlanta until a few hours before the move to Winnipeg was announced. Public statements aren't binding and the team/league can always walk back those statements by explaining that a deal came together unexpectedly quickly.

Moving them is going to be a complex deal. I'd wager that they will get multiple bids and that these bids will be a mix of cities/buildings looking for a tenant and private groups looking to buy and relocate the team. Unless they started negotiating behind closed doors months ago, that process would likely take too long to get them into a new building (and a re-brand) by the fall. So I do think that they will play 1 more year in Mullet, but I won't be at all surprised if they are moved overnight.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think (and hope) the Coyotes will play in Mullet Arena in 2023/24, but I don't take the NHL and team's statements as such as confirmation. The NHL and Thrashers were confirming that the team would be playing the next season in Atlanta until a few hours before the move to Winnipeg was announced. Public statements aren't binding and the team/league can always walk back those statements by explaining that a deal came together unexpectedly quickly.

Moving them is going to be a complex deal. I'd wager that they will get multiple bids and that these bids will be a mix of cities/buildings looking for a tenant and private groups looking to buy and relocate the team. Unless they started negotiating behind closed doors months ago, that process would likely take too long to get them into a new building (and a re-brand) by the fall. So I do think that they will play 1 more year in Mullet, but I won't be at all surprised if they are moved overnight.
Surely they had a contingency plan in mind if the building measure failed. Playing in Mullet arena for another year doesn't strike me as an awesome plan.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Surely they had a contingency plan in mind if the building measure failed. Playing in Mullet arena for another year doesn't strike me as an awesome plan.
If the propositions had passed, they still would’ve played at Mullet Arena next season as it takes a while to build a new arena. It’s why they’ve been taking on contracts with low dollar commitments but high cap hits - to minimize actual cash expenditures while their gate sales will be super low. Playing next season at Mullet has already been budgeted and a part of the plan.

Beyond that is now a big ? though.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If the propositions had passed, they still would’ve played at Mullet Arena next season as it takes a while to build a new arena. It’s why they’ve been taking on contracts with low dollar commitments but high cap hits - to minimize actual cash expenditures while their gate sales will be super low. Playing next season at Mullet has already been budgeted and a part of the plan.

Beyond that is now a big ? though.
I think the team’s letter expressing commitment to Arizona is smokescreen. They know they are likely stuck there next year and need to sell tickets and ads and all so don’t want to anounce they are leaving yet. But realistically they are likely focusing 99% of their efforts to find new home for 24-25 somewhere outside of Phoenix area. Could be Sacramento or salt lake or Atlanta or Houston or somewhere else, but finding somewhere else in az to build would likely mean another 5 years at mullet and that isn’t gonna fly.

That said, if arena plan emerges at some point I could see Phoenix area getting expansion team in next decade.

Reactions: Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
There is a very real argument that another year in Mullet and then a relocation is a better long-term financial plan than rushing a relocation now.

They will likely be able to negotiate a better relocation/sale deal if they spend months on a formal process than rushing it now and/or relying on back-door meetings where the team wasn't officially on the market. They could get a package that is worth 10s or even 100s of million dollars more long-term. That can potentially well out-earn the difference in revenue/profits this year.

And frankly, their costs will be way less in Mullet than in another building and that offsets some of the lost revenue.

If they are in Mullet, they will be right at the $61M cap floor because there is no incentive to put a quality product in front of those fans. They are going to sell out that building, even if it is full of road fans going for the novelty (I'll be one of them if they are still there next year). More importantly, they have accumulated cap hits for guys owed smaller payable salaries. Capfriendly has their estimated payroll for next year at $50M at the moment, but $12M of that is going to players that are unofficially retired and almost certainly covered almost entirely by insurance. They should be able to keep their actual payroll well below $50M once they fill out the rest of their roster with cheap filler. They could get it below $40M if a couple guys (like Keller) actually demand out and they take back a couple more bad contracts of guys who make much less real money than their inflated cap hits.

You can't do that in year 1 of a new market. Having a half-decent product in year 1 in a new city is crucial to building a fan base (and selling tickets). They would absolutely need to bring in multiple $4M+ caliber players and a handful of additional $1.5M-$3M caliber players. We're talking about a $20M+ increase to payroll just to put out a team that is remotely worth the time of a new fan, which will greatly eat into the extra revenue generated by relocating. More importantly, how does that impact the rebuild? Another year in Mullet is another year to take bad contracts, sell rentals, and try to get a top 5 pick. It is another year for existing prospects to develop (and potentially experience no-consequence rookie growing pains this year) to be best suited to contribute during their first impressions in a new city.

The plan when staying in Arizona was short term pain for long term gain. Getting their long term plan right is more important than getting out of Mullet, so I can see them taking their time and letting Bill Armstrong have 1 more season to just build a war chest with an eye toward icing the best possible product in 2024/25 for their brand new fans.

eibyyz

STL. Like my daddy before me.
I think Houston would be better (and not just bc I live here), but I don’t think proximity to Dallas is major issue. They are 200 miles apart, which is about same distance as Houston and SA and we both have nba teams. Seattle is only 140 miles from Vancouver and they seem to be doing great.
As a Blues fan planning a move to 'Uston, a two-game IH-45 swing would be frikkin' awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad