Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Toronto should do the following:
Extend Dubas.
Trade Tavares (32) for help on defense or goaltending.
Trade Nylander (27) for more help on defense or goaltending.

The Leafs have lost their last i dont even know how many series because of offense not defense and goaltending. The offense dries up every time. If anything we need to add more scoring depth. The D was very strong and the goaltending has been better as the years have gone on.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I hate to say it, but if Dallas gets past Seattle tonight, I'll have to root for Pavelski to get his first cup.. If we're already solidified between 29-32 anyhow, the difference in moving up or falling 4 spots is negligible that late in the first round, imo. As a pure fan of the game and setting bias aside, the moment would be awesome to witness and would be a great example for those of us whose kids are getting into the game as we watch them start emulating their favorite players just as we used to. My son (5) knows we're not Stars fans, but we are Pavelski fans.
Couldn't agree more. The difference between picks 23 and 29+ is a big enough gap to sway my rooting interest, but beyond that the gap just isn't big enough to override my other rooting interests.

I'm really excited for the Conference Final. There are people I like on all of the remaining teams and narratives to like for all of them as well. No matter what, it is going to feel like some new blood winning the Cup and unlike last year it isn't going to be from a team that had already been deemed a dynasty in the making.

Pavelski, Suter, Burns, Stastny, and Mark Staal are all great 'old guy wins his first Cup' stories.

We've got 5 good stories in net right now. 3 of the remaining 5 goalies in line to start their team's next game were sitting on the bench for their team's first playoff game (Bob, Anderssen, and Hill). Grubauer was considered washed a few weeks ago and the lone remaining 'reliable starter' is a 24 year old.

There are absolutely still top 5 picks that play huge roles on their teams, but I'm not sure that any of them are the identity of their team. Seattle has Beniers, but their identity is depth and he's only 6th on the team in scoring. Dallas has Heiskenen, but their forwards are led by a couple 2nd rounders and a bunch of vets. Florida has Barkov/Ekblad, but Tkachuk has become the heartbeat of that team. If they do it, that aggressive trade will be the focus of the narrative. Carolina's top pick is injured and watching the depth of that lineup take over. Vegas is the polar opposite of the draft-and-develop model and is showing teams the value in aggressive trades/signings. For the first time since our win, I feel like we will watch a winner that did something other than being terrible for a bit, stockpiling multiple elite players with top 5 picks, and supporting them with a few additional great moves.

I like seeing players exercise their leverage to the best of their ability and we have several who did that and are seeing it pay off. I'd love to see Eichel win a Cup after the shit he went through to get the surgery he wanted. I'd love to see Tkachuk win a Cup after effectively (and openly) wielding his RFA leverage. I'd love to see Kotkeniemi win a Cup after actually signing an offer sheet. I'd love to see Dadonov win a Cup after fighting to exercise his NTC.

So many potential great storylines and very few storylines that I dislike. I don't have any ill will for any of the ex-Blues still playing and will be happy if any of them lift the Cup. Just give me 3 more exciting series of hockey and I'll take whatever outcome (but please win tonight Seattle).

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The Leafs have lost their last i dont even know how many series because of offense not defense and goaltending. The offense dries up every time. If anything we need to add more scoring depth. The D was very strong and the goaltending has been better as the years have gone on.
I doubt you will find many who will agree with you.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
But is that purely an offensive issue?
it is and it isn't. i think it was EF who said they knew for months they would play lightning in 1st round so they made series of moves to beat tampa. and they did. but then they found themselves facing a different type of team in florida and they weren't built to beat them.

personally, i don't think they have enough scoring depth, and don't have enough guys who will go to hard areas and pay the price to score those goals, but they also don't have strong enough transition from d. much of which stems from overpaying tavares, marner, and matthews.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
it is and it isn't. i think it was EF who said they knew for months they would play lightning in 1st round so they made series of moves to beat tampa. and they did. but then they found themselves facing a different type of team in florida and they weren't built to beat them.

personally, i don't think they have enough scoring depth, and don't have enough guys who will go to hard areas and pay the price to score those goals, but they also don't have strong enough transition from d. much of which stems from overpaying tavares, marner, and matthews.
I can roll with this. Too top-heavy at forward and lack overall depth.

That Leafs guy has a point about quality forward depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Your point about quality forward depth is good. It was staring me right in the face with your top-heavy forward core.

I’m a lifelong Maple Leafs fan, so best of luck.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
kraken look f***in awful tonight

hope they have magic in the 3rd period.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Seattle has been surviving for the most part tonight, then the bad bounce & turnover to a streaking Hintz was tough.

They've had a few chances, so not impossible though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad