Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Last year, with the help of Nylander, he was a decent 2C (ignoring the cap hit).

I'm more concerned about this year.
I'd be very surprised if he didn't still play at a level that justified the #2C label but we'll see. His cap hit is obviously too much for a #2C but that's a whole other issue.

All I care about is the playoffs, maybe JT and Marner can both surprise me next spring. I'm not counting on it that's for damn sure but I guess you never know. Would be a crying shame if they kept sucking though, if those 2 played anywhere near a level that would justify their cap hits, we'd be a tough out for anyone.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
even though we talk about all the playoff dissappointment, I'm still looking forward to tomorrow's game + the devils b2b

maybe I like being sad about this team lool
As any fan would. :thumbu:
They'll be enough whining all year about playoffs, don't lower yourself to it.
Let the Eeyores self loathe.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
You know I'd think so too, but they did spank Dumbass 7-0 his first time back so maybe there is hope lol

Also idk but I really liked what I saw from stolarz in the preseason so I am comfortable that even if we get outplayed he will still give us a chance.
We lost our first one in Pittsburgh in choke fashion if I remember correctly. But yeah I hope with some more seasoned leadership and Berube we see less of that crap

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We lost our first one in Pittsburgh in choke fashion if I remember correctly. But yeah I hope with some more seasoned leadership and Berube we see less of that crap

Those things happen. Every single team, contender, cup winners, have games they blow leads or play like dog shit or lose to tanking teams. No team goes 82-0 and no team only loses games to contenders.

What I want to see is just consistency. If in March we are sharing around how the Leafs have the worst record in the league against the bottom 5 teams again then Berube has failed IMO. They will lose some of those games, but each game should look close to the last until we know what we get out of them each night.

Then when those big moments come, they are so used to going 100% day in and out when they can give just a tiny bit more they will do special things.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Those things happen. Every single team, contender, cup winners, have games they blow leads or play like dog shit or lose to tanking teams. No team goes 82-0 and no team only loses games to contenders.

What I want to see is just consistency. If in March we are sharing around how the Leafs have the worst record in the league against the bottom 5 teams again then Berube has failed IMO. They will lose some of those games, but each game should look close to the last until we know what we get out of them each night.

Then when those big moments come, they are so used to going 100% day in and out when they can give just a tiny bit more they will do special things.
They did seem to take a pretty big step forward last year as far as not mailing it in against bad teams. Unfortunately they gave back all those gained points over previous years by being complete garbage within the division.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They did seem to take a pretty big step forward last year as far as not mailing it in against bad teams. Unfortunately they gave back all those gained points over previous years by being complete garbage within the division.

Same concept. They should be pretty consistent (with an understanding there will be statistical noise always). It just feels like for a long time now, from period to period we were wondering which team comes out?

Playoffs we always hoped that team came out at the right time and never did. If they can find that level consistently I feel really good about this year

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I hate the 3rd line.

Prefer:

Knies Matthews Domi
Robertson JT Marner
Patches Holmberg Nylander

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Only thing that stays the same is you dragging out that silly thought endlessly
It's not like in the past 8 years the Leafs have rolled out Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Hyman, Brown, Knies, Robertson, Lily, Sandin etc.

They have always had a couple of youngsters in their lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad