Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Ekblad getting stretchered off might open trade options for Montour /Risto / Miller if Florida thinks they might be able to do some damage in the playoffs. Feel bad for him as it looked bad on a nothing hit
Risto and hall 50% retained for lundell, a 3rd, and a cap equalizer :sarcasm:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ekblad getting stretchered off might open trade options for Montour /Risto / Miller if Florida thinks they might be able to do some damage in the playoffs. Feel bad for him as it looked bad on a nothing hit

My guess is that Risto and maybe Miller won't be that attractive given that they are under contract beyond this season and Florida doesn't have a lot of money coming off the cap after this season.

They have slightly less than $5M in expiring to UFA contracts.

And they do have Stralman sitting on the taxi squad.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
My guess is that Risto and maybe Miller won't be that attractive given that they are under contract beyond this season and Florida doesn't have a lot of money coming off the cap after this season.

They have slightly less than $5M in expiring to UFA contracts.

And they do have Stralman sitting on the taxi squad.
I think it also depends on what happened to his knee, a total reconstruct puts him out for a year so his availability for next year will be in doubt.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
People have been asking to move Risto for a long time. I don't think it would signal a complete teardown, especially if it is a hockey trade and not just for futures.

People have been doing a lot of wishful thinking.

Pre-Covid Risto was our best player this season. Yes - i realise that's a low bar but is what it is.

If this team still sucks this time next season & if Risto makes it clear he wants to test the market then I'd expect to see him moved by the 2022 TDL. Not before.

Reactions: Zman5778

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Pre-Covid Risto was our best player this season. Yes - i realise that's a low bar but is what it is.

If this team still sucks this time next season & if Risto makes it clear he wants to test the market then I'd expect to see him moved by the 2022 TDL. Not before.

But that doesn't explain why it should/would be considered a start of tear down.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
But that doesn't explain why it should/would be considered a start of tear down.

At this point it's very unlikely that a 'hockey trade' involving Risto happens. This has always been wishful thinking on behalf of the Risto haters.

Hashbrown77

Apr 25, 2017
Why? He is not Jacob Slavin and almost a year later his contract ends which he may not even want to re-sign.
May not want to re-sign?? The sabres could make Risto an offer to be the highest paid D-man in NHL history........and he would still tell us to get bent. He's outta here the first chance he gets. :)

Reactions: elchud

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
May not want to re-sign?? The sabres could make Risto an offer to be the highest paid D-man in NHL history........and he would still tell us to get bent. He's outta here the first chance he gets. :)

Thats why this has nothing to do with a tear down. Risto has one more year left with the Sabres at most. I think he will have more value after the expansion draft so I would wait until then.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
At this point it's very unlikely that a 'hockey trade' involving Risto happens. This has always been wishful thinking on behalf of the Risto haters.

Okay...but again, how does trading Risto, with a year left on his contract considered the start of a tear down. It could just be that they are moving on from the guy. Without knowing other further moves, and not knowing what you are getting back, it's nearly impossible to come to a conclusion of the intentions of the team. Is there a possibility, of course, but it's not a definitive answer.

Even trading Risto for draft capital, I wouldn't peg it that Buffalo is tearing everything down. Now if Adams traded Eichel, strictly for draft capital, THAT would be a brighter beacon for the direction the team is going.

Reactions: Eichel9 and Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Okay...but again, how does trading Risto, with a year left on his contract considered the start of a tear down. It could just be that they are moving on from the guy. Without knowing other further moves, and not knowing what you are getting back, it's nearly impossible to come to a conclusion of the intentions of the team. Is there a possibility, of course, but it's not a definitive answer.

Even trading Risto for draft capital, I wouldn't peg it that Buffalo is tearing everything down. Now if Adams traded Eichel, strictly for draft capital, THAT would be a brighter beacon for the direction the team is going.

Trading Risto in a hockey trade is not a sign of a tear down.

Trading Risto for a futures package of picks and/or prospects COULD be a sign of a tear down. The real indication would be what the Sabres did with the cap space created by a trade like that heading into next season. If they replaced Risto (and Montour) with say Borgen and the top 3 RHD are Miller, Joker, and Borgen, it is a sign of a tear down.

But if they move Risto and use the added cap space to sign Barrie or Hamilton...

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011

It was mostly due to McCabe stabilizing that pairing. He carried Risto and made him look decent.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad