Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
I'm one of the few old Thrashers fans you guys and gals have left. I love Blake Wheeler and respect the hell out of what he did here. I don't understand, at all, how any one can blame him or disrespect him. He busted his ass every shift on both ends for this franchise for his entire career.

No one has really said what was going on behind the scenes and unless there's a book written later I expect we never will know the whole story.

So as a fan of this franchise including when it broke this old goblin's heart in two when it was moved from Atlanta please don't try to paint this as "Wheeler fans" versus "real fans". That is just disrespectful and unnecessary. Blake Wheeler didn't fake almost 1k points and almost 1k games with this franchise let alone wear the C for years.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
I went by the Columbus board and recognized a few names. Thinking back it was a weird time to have so many posters more concerned about an individual player’s accomplishments at the expense of the team.
It was such a divisive time to be a fan and made some threads pure no-go zones. As @Eyeseeing mentioned above, people over-compensated for the Laine homers by going the total opposite direction (and some did it naturally).

However, I genuinely enjoyed Avgard. I still don't know if that account is genius-level satire or just pure inanity. He recently accused NYR of playing Kakko with "perverts" and referred to the Pacific division as, "easy western rocknroll hockey divicion". That's gold!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
True.... discussion boards will run the gamut on views.
Laine gets run down here all the time and part of me can't help but wonder if "things" would have been different in our locker room or Wheeler moved out, would Patrik still be here?
Of course it cannot be answered.
I remember the last game Patrik played here he was very physical and I believe he was ready to play Maurice's way but path not taken again.
Laine wasn't some plug but reading some of the comments here you'd swear he was.
both laine & wheeler were paramount to the Jets success during those years and played prominent roles in the 17-18 & 18-19 seasons. 17-18 season is self-explanatory. the 18-19 season wasn't perfect for the team but still ended up w/ 99 pts which iirc was top-10 in the nhl mostly driven by another v strong PP. would it be different... yeah i bet our team wouldn't have been as good. i think it's disingenous to try diminish either player's contributions.

i am not privy to locker room or inter-team details however after laine got traded - coach quit, wheeler removed as C and subsequently bought out. the call out on the accountability and team culture by stastny & even bowness....... idk feel like it's more than just on one player for it not working out. but :dunno:.

agreed on your last point..... i recognize quite a few of the usernames that are now downplaying or shitting on his time as a Jet who were quick to praise back then. i kind of went the other way lol but mostly b/c of all the discussions of posters wanting to give him ~10m or the hyper-praise he got & imo perhaps an over-reliance on shot-share stats thereby devaluing goal-scoring esp. PP efficiency on my part.

also agreed on your comment on the rise in his physical game. although by comparison to his first 2 seasons it wasn't as prolific in my view - i think the 19-20 season the uptick in his physical game was really starting. then the sole game vs CGY in the CDN Division year as you mentioned he was an all-around force w/ posters on here full-aboard the wagon.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm one of the few old Thrashers fans you guys and gals have left. I love Blake Wheeler and respect the hell out of what he did here. I don't understand, at all, how any one can blame him or disrespect him. He busted his ass every shift on both ends for this franchise for his entire career.

No one has really said what was going on behind the scenes and unless there's a book written later I expect we never will know the whole story.

So as a fan of this franchise including when it broke this old goblin's heart in two when it was moved from Atlanta please don't try to paint this as "Wheeler fans" versus "real fans". That is just disrespectful and unnecessary. Blake Wheeler didn't fake almost 1k points and almost 1k games with this franchise let alone wear the C for years.
There is a lot of posters around here that respected Wheeler and what he accomplished. He is still probably the 2nd most impactful Jet of the 2.0 era after Big Buff.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It was such a divisive time to be a fan and made some threads pure no-go zones. As @Eyeseeing mentioned above, people over-compensated for the Laine homers by going the total opposite direction (and some did it naturally).

However, I genuinely enjoyed Avgard. I still don't know if that account is genius-level satire or just pure inanity. He recently accused NYR of playing Kakko with "perverts" and referred to the Pacific division as, "easy western rocknroll hockey divicion". That's gold!
Imma run with genius level satire re: Avgaard hockey professor :)

During his tenure with Jets hockey - Maurice was often labelled a pervert.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Imma run with genius level satire re: Aavgard hockey professor :)

During his tenure with Jets hockey - Maurice was often labelled a pervert.
You should ghost write for Avgaard for our selfish pleasure.
Also love your Marty Biron screaming over ambient sounds satire
I genuinely laugh out loud at that ( I’m giggling as I write this)

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
You should ghost write for Avgaard for our selfish pleasure.
Also love your Marty Biron screaming over ambient sounds satire
I genuinely laugh out loud at that ( I’m giggling as I write this)
Martin Biron is such a gift to the hockey world. He may wake up screaming, with perfectly combed hair.

Back to Avgaard -> he would tear KFC a new one for getting "highlife minits" over monster player Laine, despite his "farmboy on farmteem skills" and obvious consumption of "two much choklit bars" - and Laine's benching for "backstage farts dissapointing and angering Poul Mo".

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

People see things in black and white now more than they have in decades. Or the same amount do and it's more accepted. Psychology shows that the average person will believe the person who says the wrong thing confidently more than the person who says the right thing with uncertainty. The most interesting part there being that uncertainty should always be a part of any belief. It's why Cherry was popular, because he said a million wrong things confidently and when the dust settled him and his fans would only bring up the one thing he was actually correct about. It's why Trump is popular as well.

I've said it to you before, but if somebody says "this is the way it is and if you don't believe it you're wrong", then they can get f***ed. Wheeler was an important part of this franchise, to you and me, if somebody didn't like him, that's fine. If that same somebody faults somebody else for liking him, f*** em.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
New coach bump didn't last long for the Oilers, 5th goal for ex Jet Stenlund playing for the Panthers
I kinda like Stengun.

tumblr_nx83qyySTI1uzjctgo1_250.gif

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
i agree w/ carolina as a great spot. i think he'd be rejuvenated to get out of CBJ & they always need finishers. but you shit on laine's CBJ play constantly, and now saying it's going to take 2x1sts, 2nd, Drury, and Burns for him? doesn't align.

Well Columbus doesn't have to trade him. They can hang on to him and sell him at the deadline in a couple of seasons to sell him at the standard 1st + 2nd + Prospect price. So if Carolina would want him now for 3 runs instead of 1 and have Columbus retain 20% so that he is closer to his true impact at around $7 million then they have to sweeten the deal somehow.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Martin Biron is such a gift to the hockey world. He may wake up screaming, with perfectly combed hair.

Back to Avgaard -> he would tear KFC a new one for getting "highlife minits" over monster player Laine, despite his "farmboy on farmteem skills" and obvious consumption of "two much choklit bars" - and Laine's benching for "backstage farts dissapointing and angering Poul Mo".

It’s like he never left.

Reactions: kanadalainen

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Well Columbus doesn't have to trade him. They can hang on to him and sell him at the deadline in a couple of seasons to sell him at the standard 1st + 2nd + Prospect price. So if Carolina would want him now for 3 runs instead of 1 and have Columbus retain 20% so that he is closer to his true impact at around $7 million then they have to sweeten the deal somehow.
Nurse for Laine straight up?

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
People see things in black and white now more than they have in decades. Or the same amount do and it's more accepted. Psychology shows that the average person will believe the person who says the wrong thing confidently more than the person who says the right thing with uncertainty. The most interesting part there being that uncertainty should always be a part of any belief. It's why Cherry was popular, because he said a million wrong things confidently and when the dust settled him and his fans would only bring up the one thing he was actually correct about. It's why Trump is popular as well.

I've said it to you before, but if somebody says "this is the way it is and if you don't believe it you're wrong", then they can get f***ed. Wheeler was an important part of this franchise, to you and me, if somebody didn't like him, that's fine. If that same somebody faults somebody else for liking him, f*** em.
Both perspectives are thinking in black and white here. Neither side is giving the other side credit for having any nuance in their beliefs or decision making.

Reactions: buggs and Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Both perspectives are thinking in black and white here. Neither side is giving the other side credit for having any nuance in their beliefs or decision making.
That's fair enough. As somebody in the sciences uncertainty is a part of everything I do. In my experience the more confident somebody is the less they know about what they're talking about. Anybody who says "this is what I believe and anybody else is wrong" is an idiot and is ignoring all nuance. Doesn't matter what side it's coming from.

Cherry and Trump are all about confidence. What they say is correct because they know and you don't. I don't trust anybody that speaks with that level of confidence. It's not about being right or realistic, it's about convincing people they know what they're talking about.

Nobody in the sciences will give you a straight answer about anything. They'll give you their best based on what they know. That's science. Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

Last edited:

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
That's fair enough. As somebody in the sciences uncertainty is a part of everything I do. In my experience the more confident somebody is the less they know about what they're talking about. Anybody who says "this is what I believe and anybody else is wrong" is an idiot and is ignoring all nuance. Doesn't matter what side it's coming from.

Cherry and Trump are all about confidence. What they say is correct because they know and you don't. I don't trust anybody that speaks with that level of confidence. It's not about being right or realistic, it's about convincing people they know what they're talking about.
I guess I have a hard time seeing how any uniparty member with the media apparatus behind them, don't also sound completely confident.

I certainly agree though, that Cherry and Trump sound overly confident, come off bombastic (my words), etc. I used to hate it whenever Ron MacLean brought up Dale Hawerchuk, Cherry would quickly pivot to mentioning Doug Gilmour.

And for the record, I think Wheeler did a great job when we take into account his entire tenure, and what he meant for the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad