Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd take Vilardi, Iafallo and Kupari over Laine any day of the week. We get all 3 for the approximately the same cap hit which makes us a much deeper team that plays much more of an up tempo game. Never mind there is still lots of room for Vilardi to hit a higher ceiling.

100% we get three guys that are all plug and play, help lines up and down the roster, and are drama free 200 foot players that can fetch points too.

Onward and upward.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
He was never getting the contract he wanted from this organization and knew it

That's not how I remember it. I remember there being talk about him wanting 9 million long term and the Jets not wanting to pay it

Maybe you guys are right, my understanding always was that he wanted to play top line and be paid like that and when it became clear it wasn't happening anytime soon he asked out.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I know it is not their style but if I was the Carolina GM I'd be working the phones to get Laine. That's a team where every player is elite defenisvely so they can easily insulate Laine with 4 good defensive players on the ice at any point and let him do the one thing he does well... score goals. They are one of the few teams where Laine makes a lot of sense.

Jordan Staal line has like a ridiculous 70%+ xGoals but not that many actual goals. Just throw Laine on that line, even if their metrics drop to like 55% they'd still be scoring a lot more goals then they are now.

If I was the Carolina GM, I'd give up two 1st round picks, a 2nd, Drury, and Brent Burns (for cap reasons) for Laine at 20% retained.

Carolina gets a 35+ goal scorer if healthy for 3 playoff runs at $7million, to get over that playoff hump where they can never seem to score. Columbus gets a pair of 1sts, a 2nd, a good young player in Drury and Burns whom they can flip for more picks. And Laine finally has a chance to be a goal scorer playing on a team where everyone else is doing the defensive heavy lifting. It's a steep price to pay for Carolina and Brind'amor isn't gonna be too thrilled about how Laine plays but imo worth it for them to finally break through in the playoffs.

Reactions: RustyCat

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
100% we get three guys that are all plug and play, help lines up and down the roster, and are drama free 200 foot players that can fetch points too.

Onward and upward.

Agreed. Which is why i said its an interesting trade tree. People will always speculate about who won the trade, but i think this horse is dead.. :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know it is not their style but if I was the Carolina GM I'd be working the phones to get Laine. That's a team where every player is elite defenisvely so they can easily insulate Laine with 4 good defensive players on the ice at any point and let him do the one thing he does well... score goals. They are one of the few teams where Laine makes a lot of sense.

Jordan Staal line has like a ridiculous 70%+ xGoals but not that many actual goals. Just throw Laine on that line, even if their metrics drop to like 55% they'd still be scoring a lot more goals then they are now.

If I was the Carolina GM, I'd give up two 1st round picks, a 2nd, Drury, and Brent Burns (for cap reasons) for Laine at 20% retained.

Carolina gets a 35+ goal scorer if healthy for 3 playoff runs at $7million, to get over that playoff hump where they can never seem to score. Columbus gets a pair of 1sts, a 2nd, a good young player in Drury and Burns whom they can flip for more picks. And Laine finally has a chance to be a goal scorer playing on a team where everyone else is doing the defensive heavy lifting. It's a steep price to pay for Carolina and Brind'amor isn't gonna be too thrilled about how Laine plays but imo worth it for them to finally break through in the playoffs.
Brent Burns says no.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agreed. Which is why i said its an interesting trade tree. People will always speculate about who won the trade, but i think this horse is dead.. :)

I think it’s natural to naval gaze on trades and I get it. When it comes to PLD for Laine I think it was a wash for the most part. Both orgs traded prized assets that had bocome distractions and both wanted a change of scenery at the time. They each had unique talents but ran hot and COLD and they shared one thing in common, they have always been moody and entitled.

Good ridance to both

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
sucks for laine, and it's around his time his dad died too right? i still take his time here over PLD;s though :laugh:

also thank god we did not hire Vincent as a coach like a few were vehemently were posting about on here and landed on Bowness.

i agree w/ carolina as a great spot. i think he'd be rejuvenated to get out of CBJ & they always need finishers. but you shit on laine's CBJ play constantly, and now saying it's going to take 2x1sts, 2nd, Drury, and Burns for him? doesn't align.

I remember when people said Willy Nylander was the weak link of the big 4 in Toronto.
The discussion of used to be comparing ehlers and nylander. it's now AINEC territory.

Nylander is pretty entrenched in the Connor tier in recent years.

1700489720790.png

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Laine's jet career would have a different story if Chevy had overpaid Stastny - I remember Stas sounding like he'd stay but Chevy was wouldn't go same term as Vegas... Jets learned the hard way to respect chemistry.

Reactions: Dale53130

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I also remember people on the socials wanting to give him 8x11. 🤯
brah it wasn't just socials... i took a gander at one of the old laine threads, folks were putting him in the same range as marner, matthews, rantanen during his first 3 years here. many wanted him signed in the 9M range (including myself).

I think it’s safe to say we had Laine’s best years as a pro
I was hoping he could achieve into a complete player but he hasn’t developed any other skill set than his shot
idk i think the 19-20 season he was starting to show semblance of a consistent physical for us. and even his sole game in the CDN Division year he was great all-around. i think i underrated his 19-20 season quite a bit at the time b/c it wasn't as prolific or remarkable considering his age using his 1st two years as a benchmark but for what it was on it's own.....

t-27th in league scoring, 8th for RW, out of the top-30 NHL scorers that year he had the 4th most hits FWIW, along w/ being a (+) player at 5v5 for a (-) 5v5 team. that's a really good showing.

he can certainly have game-winning performances, however he will never be the player to carry a team consistently (not many wingers can) & cbj being a tire-fire just exasperates that.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That 2016 draft was amazing in retrospect. Going in, it was touted as perhaps the deepest ever with roughly 17 guys who all could have potentially gone top 3 in a weak year. Its an enigmatic group if you look at that top 4, Matthews, Laine, PLD, Puljujarvi. Matthews is clearly the best of the bunch, but even him I doubt ever hoists a cup. The high profile busts are astounding. Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Alex Nylander, Brown, McLeod, perhaps even Bean and Jost and others.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think getting rid of Wheeler was just what the team needed.
what's the saying.... you enter relationships for a reason, season or a lifetime. wheeler at the time was a good choice for captain but it seems like as the team changed or progressed, something or someone else may have been needed at the top. since 2021 - coach quit part way through, wheeler stripped of the C - seems like it didn't didn't work - & led to a buy-out to legit get rid of him.

i am personally going to wait to see how the rest of the season plays out to stamp them better than any team that we had during wheeler's time. however, they are playing v well and overall exciting brand. they also have added nino, iafallo and Namestnikov (and Vilardi ofc, but barely played) from last year who are all contributing nicely which plays quite a big part as well in what this team needed.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Yup. Great times that rookie season. We were all super high on the guy. Great second season as well. As soon as teams learned to shut down his high danger shots he just faded into a 30 goal 50-60 point one dimensional winger. Nice to have as a complimentary player, but not someone you want to take on at his current cap hit. As an added bonus we don’t have to wade through the Laine only fan club every day.
The last line is the biggest + of the trade!!! The "Patty" Fandom was nauseating.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
The last line is the biggest + of the trade!!! The "Patty" Fandom was nauseating.
It's funny reading some of those main board threads about Patty now. You will always see the inevitable comments about how Jets fans thought Laine would surpass Ovechkin's goal-scoring and be better than Matthews. No doubt many of us were excited, but those "Jets fans" have all migrated to other subs for teams that just so happen to have high-profile Finnish players. Temporary fans at best. Did any stick around?

I even saw Avgard, hockey professor, posting on the mains claiming Sam Reinhart was taking all of Lundell's points from him. It brought back fond memories.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Maybe you guys are right, my understanding always was that he wanted to play top line and be paid like that and when it became clear it wasn't happening anytime soon he asked out.
Any winning GM will tell you off the record ... any player who demands to play on the top line without earning it is shipped out asap.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's funny reading some of those main board threads about Patty now. You will always see the inevitable comments about how Jets fans thought Laine would surpass Ovechkin's goal-scoring and be better than Matthews. No doubt many of us were excited, but those "Jets fans" have all migrated to other subs for teams that just so happen to have high-profile Finnish players. Temporary fans at best. Did any stick around?

I even saw Avgard, hockey professor, posting on the mains claiming Sam Reinhart was taking all of Lundell's points from him. It brought back fond memories.
I went by the Columbus board and recognized a few names. Thinking back it was a weird time to have so many posters more concerned about an individual player’s accomplishments at the expense of the team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

yeah all those fans who used to shout "laine's better" (than matthews) every chance they got sure did migrate......you can see it in the sharp drop in Bell MTS attendance :sarcasm: :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: TommyKillian

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I went by the Columbus board and recognized a few names. Thinking back it was a weird time to have so many posters more concerned about an individual player’s accomplishments at the expense of the team.
Kinda like Wheeler’s fans here I suppose.
Individual stats mean squat when you don’t win anything.
Path not taken but I wonder how we would have fared ridding ourselves of Wheeler 3-4 years ago.

Reactions: sipowicz

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Kinda like Wheeler’s fans here I suppose.
Individual stats mean squat when you don’t win anything.
Path not taken but I wonder how we would have fared ridding ourselves of Wheeler 3-4 years ago.
i'd say every fan base has a segment of fans that are fans of specific players. the "wheeler fans" i think are still following & are fans of the Jets though. whereas some of those laine fans just full on follow him and ditched the Jets. not saying that's right or wrong, it happens in every sport - and i think even more prevalent when it's a highly touted foreign player.

the other problem imo is when those fans start posting and shitting on players or coaches for some decision that doesn't fit their favorite players way (which still happens here a lot).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
i'd say every fan base has a segment of fans that are fans of specific players. the "wheeler fans" i think are still following & are fans of the Jets though. whereas some of those laine fans just full on follow him and ditched the Jets. not saying that's right or wrong, it happens in every sport - and i think even more prevalent when it's a highly touted foreign player.

the other problem imo is when those fans start posting and shitting on players or coaches for some decision that doesn't fit their favorite players way (which still happens here a lot).
True.... discussion boards will run the gamut on views.
Laine gets run down here all the time and part of me can't help but wonder if "things" would have been different in our locker room or Wheeler moved out, would Patrik still be here?
Of course it cannot be answered.
I remember the last game Patrik played here he was very physical and I believe he was ready to play Maurice's way but path not taken again.
Laine wasn't some plug but reading some of the comments here you'd swear he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad