Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Part of the reason we can't just compare each of the players' tenures here is that during most of Laine's time here the Jets were a much better and deeper team, that rising tide lifted all boats including Laine. A lot of the Jets success during the Laine era was due to prime-Wheeler, Big Buff, Trouba and peak Scheifele respectively giving the Jets 1 RW, two 1D and a very good 1C level performances.

Additionally the Jets already have Kyle Connor - a defensively suspect pure goal scorer. I don't know if you can have too many of these types of players and win. For the Jets we need a better defensive compliment for guys like Connor and to a lesser extent Scheifele. And having Laine on the team would be too much of a load to carry. If both PLD and Laine play a full 82 game season (something Laine hasn't come close to), I see Laine putting up 70-75 points and dnd PLD putting up around 60 points. There is only a 10-15 difference in the two players but PLD would do it with his lines having even to 3-4% better underlying 5v5 metrics than the team average whereas Laine would be under water by 3-4% in the same metrics. Laine definitely has higher highs than PLD but he has lower lows as well. Maybe for a team like Carolina that is elite defesively it'd be preferable to have Laine as PLD only provides diminishing returns and they can cushion Laine to get the most out of him but for the Jets who already have Connor and to some extent Scheifele, do they have enough padding to cover for all these defensively suspect players and still win?

I just think Laine is a type of player who needs a very specific set of circumstance to truly thrive, and moreover he costs so much that it takes away some of the ability of a team to provide him those circumstances. Whereas PLD is a more "normal" NHL player. He for sure has his warts but can fit in more situations without having to bend over backwards for him.

Again I am not a Laine hater or anything, I just thing he is a difficult guy to accommodate due to all these reasons.

I watched the game, he had two of those net drives and looked engaged physically. Must've read that LA times article calling him out and was motivated for this game.
buff (& enstrom) missed quite a bit of time from 17-18 and 18-19.... we also had prime buff, little, wheeler, enstrom, scheifele, trouba, lowry etc before laine came in 2016 and the team wasn't close to those years in offensive proficiency.

also, post 2021 Morrissey broke out to a level similar to Buff. while having demelo, dillon and samberg. that's not terrible at all on the back-end esp. when you consider how much time buff, trouba and enstrom missed. both players had helle back-stopping too, so there's not really a goaltender argument either. I'd say it's much closer than trying to compare against WPG vs CBJ like you originally were.

you're the one that claimed PLD took the pressure off and elevated this team - not me. so he elevating it to a mid level team is barely anything noteworthy imo. the team's offense wasn't elevated past where it was w/ laine either. you also noted we easily win more with PLD.... where?

& so what they already have a guy like connor & scheifele. all 3 were on the team in 17-18 and 18-19. both better seasons than anything PLD did here. seems like they could actually make a roster that could compete contrary to what you're saying.

most players are going to need some semblance of good line-mates or catering to a degree that mesh well to produce v strong numbers. neither pld or laine are in the tier of players where you can throw them w/ crap linemates and they can produce at a high level imo. laine's lines produced well with both stastny and eakin, hardly world-beaters at C, & ofc w/ scheifele. he did struggle w/ little which i never thought was a great stylistic fit - shit like that happens some times (ie: look at appleton w/ scheifele vs lowry). i think you're over-emphazing how much catering was needed.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I remember when people said Willy Nylander was the weak link of the big 4 in Toronto.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
  • Haha
Reactions: wraithsonwings

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Laine will apparently be a healthy scratch tonight...

I guess if anyone wants to see what an organization that is a culture dumpsterfire looks like it's them.
Man did I have a heart-on for Laine when he played his first 2 years here. The whole situation sucks, but I have no empathy for him or CBJ.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Would love to bring Laine back if we can get him on sale, don't think we can really fit his 8mil AAV though
I've read that Laine doesn't stay in shape over summer, avoids teammates to play video games, suffers from depression, and pouts when he's benched for a shift. Why would you want that on our team, especially after ridding ourselves of PLD?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Would love to bring Laine back if we can get him on sale, don't think we can really fit his 8mil AAV though
His AAV is $8.7 M, which is a big cap hit for a guy who is basically a 30 goal one dimensional winger. I'd take him back at a big salary reduction and minimal acquisition cost, other than that I don't see a good fit.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
86lddi.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad