Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Even though we got a good return for PLD, if you see it as a net result of losing Laine, I still saw it as a net loss. Laine (theoretically) better than Vilardi Iofallo, Kupari.

However, if Laine doesn't turn it around big time, it may still look good for the Jets.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Even though we got a good return for PLD, if you see it as a net result of losing Laine, I still saw it as a net loss. However, if Laine doesn't turn it around big time, it may still look good for the Jets.
I'd take Vilardi, Iafallo and Kupari over Laine any day of the week. We get all 3 for the approximately the same cap hit which makes us a much deeper team that plays much more of an up tempo game. Never mind there is still lots of room for Vilardi to hit a higher ceiling.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'd take Vilardi, Iafallo and Kupari over Laine any day of the week. We get all 3 for the approximately the same cap hit which makes us a much deeper team that plays much more of an up tempo game. Never mind there is still lots of room for Vilardi to hit a higher ceiling.

As of right now , and even Laine from last couple years, I agree. It will only look bad IMO if Laine realizes himself as a 2nd overall pick/hall of famer calabre player and becomes a perennial superstar ala prime Oveckin, Panarin , Leon D in EDM etc. Does not look like that will happen though

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agreed
KC 486gp 223g 223a for 446 points ... upward trend
Laine 471gp 200g 182a for 382 points ... downward trend
KC 7.14m
Laine 8.7m

Injuries definitely played a huge part, but yeah. It wasn't an option of trade Laine or Connor, they traded Laine because he let it be known he wasn't interested in staying long term with the team.

Also Connor is kind of just on his regular trend. He scores goals makes amazing plays in the ozone and then sucks ass defending. He and Scheif had bad luck last year, he should have had more points.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
My first thought is he should just quit and go home but he has about another $25 million to collect for doing nothing. That's depressing?

Reactions: GNP

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It really makes this much more fun.
Ads every 4 seconds is annoying AF
...annoying as .. filibusters?
...annoying as .. fake sea dogs?
...annoying as ..facsists?
... annoying as ..freshwater fungii?
...annoying as.. fatfaced freebooters?
...annoying as..freshwater politicians?
...annoying aardvarkian fig chuggers?
...annoying amoeboid firebrands?
...annoying anachronistic fallboys?
...annoying aztec frontmen?
...annoying antediluvian fudgechuckers?
...annoying anthracite (chewing) firstborns?
...annoying anthropithecan filbulae?

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
My first thought is he should just quit and go home but he has about another $25 million to collect for doing nothing. That's depressing?
No, a huge salary isn't depressing.

Sadly, depression is frequently a result of brain chemistry, family history, personality, and lots of other non-event related things. Many famous people (Beethoven, Tolstoy, Lincoln) suffered depression and still went on to become very successful.

Personally, I think anybody reading enough Tolstoy is sure to become depressed.....

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
No, a huge salary isn't depressing.

Sadly, depression is frequently a result of brain chemistry, family history, personality, and lots of other non-event related things. Many famous people (Beethoven, Tolstoy, Lincoln) suffered depression and still went on to become very successful.

Personally, I think anybody reading enough Tolstoy is sure to become depressed.....

Sadly, I have first hand experience that proves most of your points.

Except the very successful part. I'm waiting for that to kick in any day now. :sarcasm:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Even though we got a good return for PLD, if you see it as a net result of losing Laine, I still saw it as a net loss. Laine (theoretically) better than Vilardi Iofallo, Kupari.

However, if Laine doesn't turn it around big time, it may still look good for the Jets.

Laine isn’t performing to his contract.

Hell, Iafallo has more points than Laine and Dubois combined ROFL

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Wait until your sink your teeth into Dostoevsky. :)

Try the Gambler first (incredibly depressing tbh), then when you're ready, go HAM with The Idiot or The Brothers Karamazov.

dostoevich_sketch_animated_800_600_gif.gif

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Wait until your sink your teeth into Dostoevsky. :)

Try the Gambler first (incredibly depressing tbh), then when you're ready, go HAM with The Idiot or The Brothers.
Yeah, tell me about it. I waded through The Idiot when I was laid up in my freshman year (emphasis on the UP) and by the time my flu was over I was convinced I was epileptic, amnesiac and aphasic.

I'd tell you about how much I really LOVE Dusty's other works but I've been invited to a football party and am told that dressing like a frumpy football is not a thing. Pity, I could really rock that look today...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Laine will apparently be a healthy scratch tonight...

I guess if anyone wants to see what an organization that is a culture dumpsterfire looks like it's them.
My track record of being right about NHL-related stuff is pretty great overall, but predicting that Columbus would go nowhere with Kekäläinen at the helm has been one of the best positions I have taken. Especially as a Finn, that hasn't exactly been a popular take here.

I've "wanted" Jarmo gone with utmost certainty for almost four years now. The first, definite red flag moment was going all in at the 2019 deadline, only to lose half his team for free just months later. After that, they have struggled with finding a direction and sticking to it - one moment, they rebuild and tank, the next, they're acquiring veterans like no tomorrow. I'm often frustrated with Chevy not playing his cards anywhere near the ideal way, but Jarmo's ping-pong style of GMing is something even worse.

He has his strengths - he robs RFAs for a living in negotiations, he drafts extremely well, and his trades have mostly worked fine. But the total inability to come up with a long-term plan and stick to it blows my mind. All that talent should amount to a lot of good in a hard cap league, yet all he has to show for it is one series win in 10 years. In most markets, that gets a GM fired within five years at most.

Nobody else in the entire league has had as much leeway as him - this is particularly noteworthy, as his tenure has included multiple "fireable blow-ups" that have been directly on him, such as:

- 2019: going all-in at the TDL, only to lose the acquired players + Panarin and Bobrovsky for nothing.
- 2021: the Dubois debacle (which was dealt with somewhat successfully, TBF), followed up with a bottom-5 finish.
- 2022: dumping Bjorkstrand to keep Laine and to add Gudbranson in the summer, followed up by a total catastrophe of a season, ending with a bottom-3 finish.
- 2023: whatever the Babcock fiasco was.

I'm not sure how Jarmo has gone through all four events as the guy in charge and lived to tell the tale. Well, maybe some of these strokes of luck helped him:

- 2019: sweeping that f***ing playoff series against Tampa. There is an alternate universe where Columbus loses, fires Jarmo, and saves themselves a lot of headache down the line.
- 2021: absolutely crushing the Jones trade from a very bad position. It helped that Chicago fell off a cliff and Jones couldn't help them at all, but the return was still more than fine.
- 2022: signing Gaudreau out of the blue. It doesn't look good right now, but it basically addressed many of the concerns that people were having about Columbus at the time.
- 2023: lucking into Fantilli at the draft, despite winning their way out of the 32nd place right at the season's end in 22-23. He might already be the best centerman in franchise history, and that is not that big of an exaggeration.

The team is in shambles, and obviously they didn't help themselves by locking up a lot of basically dead cap space on stuff they don't even need (Provorov, Severson, Gudbranson in 12 months with a stacked prospect pool at D - why?!). And the offense... my god. If neither of your two star forwards can generate offense on their own, you're doing something terribly wrong as a GM (that kind of applies to us too, but at least the rest of our significant forwards do it pretty admirably). Fantilli is just about the only semi-realistic franchise cornerstone that they can build around, but otherwise, it is looking bleak. As I predicted, that 2022 f***-up of letting Bjorkstrand go was so, so much worse than anybody seemed to think at the time - they need more players like him, not less.

Finally, it has been quite comical to see the most popular and vocal talking heads of the Finnish hockey media going to bat for Jarmo, claiming that "it isn't understood well enough how respected Kekäläinen is in NA". How does this respect show, and more importantly, how does it convert itself into wins and success? Based on evidence, all of that implied respect seems unwarranted. I've seen the problems for years, and as long as Jarmo is there, I don't see a way out of the mess they are in.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kinda sad about Laine, right now. He always seemed to lack the maturity and drive to go from a great shooter to a great player. I think the Jets' coaches and vets and management figured that out after a few seasons.
Yup, there was a reason they weren't willing to commit to him long term. They have committed to every other top young forward they have drafted. That says lot to me.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Yup, there was a reason they weren't willing to commit to him long term. They have committed to every other top young forward they have drafted. That says lot to me.

I think its quite the contrary, they would have signed long term if he wanted to. Laine wanted top line ice time, they gave it a go in the 19-20 season, it didn't work and Laine didn't want to play on the 2nd line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think its quite the contrary, they would have signed long term if he wanted to. Laine wanted top line ice time, they gave it a go in the 19-20 season, it didn't work and Laine didn't want to play on the 2nd line.

That's not how I remember it. I remember there being talk about him wanting 9 million long term and the Jets not wanting to pay it

Last edited:
Reactions: bustamente

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He was electric in his rookie season until his concussion. His first goal against Carolina, first hattrick against Toronto, him, Ehlers, and Scheifele dominating together. Fantastic memories.
Yup. Great times that rookie season. We were all super high on the guy. Great second season as well. As soon as teams learned to shut down his high danger shots he just faded into a 30 goal 50-60 point one dimensional winger. Nice to have as a complimentary player, but not someone you want to take on at his current cap hit. As an added bonus we don’t have to wade through the Laine only fan club every day.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I have no interest in Laine or PLD anymore. Let them be someone else’s distraction.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As of right now , and even Laine from last couple years, I agree. It will only look bad IMO if Laine realizes himself as a 2nd overall pick/hall of famer calabre player and becomes a perennial superstar ala prime Oveckin, Panarin , Leon D in EDM etc. Does not look like that will happen though
That ship has sailed. At this point he is a disinterested over priced one dimensional winger on a very bad team.

Reactions: DiggerD and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad