Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
should be shopping him, lol.

imagine selling that to your team or organization... just made the cup finals with a majority of they key players returning- have mcdavid, hyman, bouchard, ekholm, RNH, had some great lower-$ signings with skinner & arvidsson... but lets shop our 2nd best player for a 1st and some other crap instead of trying to win and extend him.

are you allergic to winning? why do you enjoy perpetual rebuilds? almost every year you flood threads w/ trading our top players. i don't think ive seen someone further removed from reality on this forum, and there's stark competition for that.

They are in a tough situation, cap wise. Cup or bust this year because there is no way they can keep everybody next year.

When I said they should probably be shopping him I also stated that they would need established player(s) in return. Not futures. I also pointed at the extreme difficulty of finding a trade partner who could afford his contract and the price of getting him from Edm. So the snarky tone is completely uncalled for.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At least it is their last shot before they need to move out some cap. Should probably be shopping Drai instead of trying to extend him. But who would want to take on that next contract and be able to pay the acquisition price?

It would need to be established players going to Oil to keep their cup hopes alive.

Tough to see a successful path for the Oil to navigate these contracts.
Some of what I’ve read is keeping Draisatl is important for their hopes of McDavid staying. McDavid wants to win and those chances go down if you sell off Draisaitl for a bunch of lesser pieces. Apparently they are also pretty tight.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some of what I’ve read is keeping Draisatl is important for their hopes of McDavid staying. McDavid wants to win and those chances go down if you sell off Draisaitl for a bunch of lesser pieces. Apparently they are also pretty tight.

Yes. I really can't see them trading him. I'm just commenting on the difficulty of extending him. Looks just about impossible, unless Bowman can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

They will have to face the issues you mention next year too. Without Drai.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes. I really can't see them trading him. I'm just commenting on the difficulty of extending him. Looks just about impossible, unless Bowman can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

They will have to face the issues you mention next year too. Without Drai.
Edmonton will be like the Leafs, they will have 4 players taking up close to half of their cap space and will have to try to back fill as best as possible with their remaining cap space. It does leave a lot of holes.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This is a crazy draft class. Jets got a very good player but imagine some of the players above him.

1725073824260.png

1725073839534.png

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
This is a crazy draft class. Jets got a very good player but imagine some of the players above him.

View attachment 904186

View attachment 904187
It's a shame because I remember rumblings that the Jets were looking for Boeser or Konecny at 25, we still got an NHL talent in Roslovic but he ended up just being a throw in on the Laine-PLD swap. I even remember an interview with Boeser near the draft and he mentioned that he had a lot of conversations with the Jets leading up to the draft. Would have been great to get one of those two instead.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Edmonton will need to pay Draisatl a huge contract because he has earned it. My belief is it will have to be close to MacKinnon’s % of Cap hit when he signed. They are going to have to pay McDavid more than that because he has earned it and the Cap is going up really quickly. The other tough thing is Evan Bouchard blew up last season by getting 82 points in 81 games and he is their franchise D man, one of the top scoring D men in the league, and one of the top in Norris trophy voting which is going to get him paid huge.

In summary the Oilers are in their best position cap wise to win the cup this season so they should make hay now.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Edmonton will need to pay Draisatl a huge contract because he has earned it. My belief is it will have to be close to MacKinnon’s % of Cap hit when he signed. They are going to have to pay McDavid more than that because he has earned it and the Cap is going up really quickly. The other tough thing is Evan Bouchard blew up last season by getting 82 points in 81 games and he is their franchise D man, one of the top scoring D men in the league, and one of the top in Norris trophy voting which is going to get him paid huge.

In summary the Oilers are in their best position cap wise to win the cup this season so they should make hay now.
I really hope the Oilers sign Leon to a really long and expensive contract and then pay Connor even more.
Want to see the Oilers hamstrung by have so many dollars tied up with a few players that they have issues with cap space for many years.
Last year was close , possibly the high water mark for that roster.
I’d make Leon the highest paid player this year.
Do it Oilers, crush it :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Edmonton will be like the Leafs, they will have 4 players taking up close to half of their cap space and will have to try to back fill as best as possible with their remaining cap space. It does leave a lot of holes.

Maybe even worse. At least the Leafs big 4 mostly play up to their contracts. Oil have Nurse's contract that he can't live up to.

I'm sure they will do everything they possibly can to retain Drai. I forgot about LTIR'ing Kane. Assuming they do that, and the cap goes up quite a bit next year, they will probably be able to do it. But like you say, they will be cap strapped for the foreseeable future.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Anything they get back from a Drai trade makes them a worse team this year. Their best bet to win a Cup is keep him this year and figure it out next summer. If he leaves, he leaves. Their window is much less open without him than with him.
Does it though? Drai is a heavy scorer but a defensive blackhole...

imagine selling that to your team or organization... just made the cup finals with a majority of they key players returning- have mcdavid, hyman, bouchard, ekholm, RNH, had some great lower-$ signings with skinner & arvidsson... but lets shop our 2nd best player for a 1st and some other crap instead of trying to win and extend him.

are you allergic to winning? why do you enjoy perpetual rebuilds? almost every year you flood threads w/ trading our top players. i don't think ive seen someone further removed from reality on this forum, and there's stark competition for that.
Didnt Florida just do that though?

Reactions: Stumbledore

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Does it though? Drai is a heavy scorer but a defensive blackhole...

For me, this is the last kick at the can with this group. If we flame out this playoffs its time to make some core changes.

We have several players that we could turn into younger players with potential. It could be risky but we could really reset our entire core if we wanted to.

I'd move on from Scheifele and yes, Hellebuyck - and be open to trades for Connor and Ehlers (if we sign him). I wouldn't move Morrissey as he's the one guy who doesn't seem to be allergic to competing in the playoffs.

Reactions: Board Bard

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Anything they get back from a Drai trade makes them a worse team this year. Their best bet to win a Cup is keep him this year and figure it out next summer. If he leaves, he leaves. Their window is much less open without him than with him.
Does it though? Drai is a heavy scorer but a defensive blackhole... at TD maybe you're getting a first back, 3rd liner, prospect, pick - at the start of the season,- sign and trade - you're probably getting a 1st, top six replacement, mid six replacement and a decent talent cap dump

I could see Pitts going for it... McDrai for Karlsson, Malkin (retained), McGroarty- I mean I'd love to see McGro end up back in Canada...

That being said - they didn't sign Skinner and Arvidsson because they're building a d-first system... its 7-6 hockey all season

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's a shame because I remember rumblings that the Jets were looking for Boeser or Konecny at 25, we still got an NHL talent in Roslovic but he ended up just being a throw in on the Laine-PLD swap. I even remember an interview with Boeser near the draft and he mentioned that he had a lot of conversations with the Jets leading up to the draft. Would have been great to get one of those two instead.

I wonder if 25 + 47 would have been enough to move up 1 or 2 spots?
Would have been a good move, if it was there. Hindsight, I know.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Draisaitl is a top 5 player in the World, McDavid is the best player in the World by far, Bouchard is a great up and coming D man, all will be paid top dollars in their respective positions and yet the Oilers will still not win the Cup.

And neither will the Leafs. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For me, this is the last kick at the can with this group. If we flame out this playoffs its time to make some core changes.

We have several players that we could turn into younger players with potential. It could be risky but we could really reset our entire core if we wanted to.

I'd move on from Scheifele and yes, Hellebuyck - and be open to trades for Connor and Ehlers (if we sign him). I wouldn't move Morrissey as he's the one guy who doesn't seem to be allergic to competing in the playoffs.

Wrong thread maybe?

You are talking complete tear down here.

I don't think it was ever really confirmed but according to the rumours, Chevy was trying to move both Scheifele and Helle last off-season. He only switched to extending them when the offers were disappointing. He then needed to convince them that Jets would compete for the Cup before they would sign.

They would both be 2 years older, signed for 6 more years at fairly high cap hits and with full trade protection. How good would the offers be? They could veto any deals with non-contending teams.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

But for True North they will continue to take kicks at the can. How are you going to move on from Helly and Scheifele? They have 3 more years of NMC and then very restrictive 10 team trade lists. They will do their best to sign Ehlers and Connor and hope the kids can support enough on their ELCs to stay competitive. They have also had good playoffs from players other than Morrissey.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

View attachment 904186

View attachment 904187

I wonder where Connor would go in a re-draft?
1.McDavid
2.Rantanen
3.Marner
4.Eichel

5.Connor?
Or Barzal, Konecny, Boser, Meier, Werenski are all up there

Just checked the other rounds and Aho and Karpizov were that year, so put them up there obvs

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
But for True North they will continue to take kicks at the can. How are you going to move on from Helly and Scheifele? They have 3 more years of NMC and then very restrictive 10 team trade lists. They will do their best to sign Ehlers and Connor and hope the kids can support enough on their ELCs to stay competitive. They have also had good playoffs from players other than Morrissey.
I'm not sure that you have to "move on" from anyone... just factor in their inevitable decline and move them down the lineup accordingly

Hopefully the cap goes up to a point where those contracts aren't albatrosses and we can compensate with some ELC talent coming in (as you said)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not arguing with any of that. I know that it's not happening - I just said what I'd do.

Of the core players (I define our core as 55, 37, 27, 17, 2, 44, 13, 81) who has battled and performed at an appropriate level for the playoffs in the past 2 seasons?

No one in my mind outside of 44 and 17 have. That's extremely worrisome.

Who do you think has performed well in the past 2 playoffs not in this group?

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I really hope the Oilers sign Leon to a really long and expensive contract and then pay Connor even more.
Want to see the Oilers hamstrung by have so many dollars tied up with a few players that they have issues with cap space for many years.
Last year was close , possibly the high water mark for that roster.
I’d make Leon the highest paid player this year.
Do it Oilers, crush it :nod:
I recognize the prose (and the sarcasm), but the squirrel is gone.

• Haha
Reactions: Eyeseeing

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm not sure that you have to "move on" from anyone... just factor in their inevitable decline and move them down the lineup accordingly

Hopefully the cap goes up to a point where those contracts aren't albatrosses and we can compensate with some ELC talent coming in (as you said)
Jets need to develop centers and D... they've been reluctant to throw guys into the fire but the modern nhl kind of dictates that

Really think they need to slot Lambert in at 2C this year and give him a lot of rope - I'd legit move perfetti to top line and then run ehlers-lambert-vilardi

Heinola has to finally get a shot and Barron should get decent reps at C.. likely as PK2 center

Biggest concern with the lineup this year is the wealth of solid vets - who all deserve a roster spot but who's potential is already known and it's just soso

Reactions: Buffdog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad