Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
@JetsFan815 and @DRW204

Interesting debate about two players that flashed really high levels in their own way but at the end of the day both left me wanting.

Laine is interesting because of how he entered the league in the first two seasons. His play was propped up by an unsustainable shooting % but he was still
A difference maker. The issue is once his shooting % regressed to the mean he was always going to fall short of what expectations were for a 19 year old that got 44 goals while shooting 19%.

PLD was at his best the first half of last season when he was a bad ass PPG #1 centre that would bully guys like Matthews physically. What a joy to watch when he’s clicking.

At their worst you had an entitled lazy looking winger who seemed to expect the team to be built around him, or a zero
give a shit , floating centre checking the flight times out of town man child who was biding his time.

I will always miss players like Buff or Little but I don’t miss PLD or Laine. I have some good memories but I am glad they are someone else’s enigma now.
Yeah i used to bring up his sh% often years ago in discussions. This was from 2020
... his shot distance, quantity shots is roughly the same as previous years. he's getting the same opportunity but the SH% has gone from 18% to 12%. He's not beating goalies as much as he was in his first two years on roughly the same shot quality.

12% is still good, but 18% was elite.

It's hard to maintain 18%+ on high volume of shots from his distance. 12-15% where I think he's been in recent years is still solid. Funny looking back bc some of his biggest bashers now of his time as a Jet were previously his biggest pumpers.

I'll miss Laine more than I miss PLD certainly. Thought he played better which parlayed into the team playing better and then led to the most electric time watching Jets hockey. Off the ice as well to add - he was one of the first (correct me if I'm wrong bc I didn't typically follow this) to stand up for Winnipeg which I thought was pretty noteworthy at the time.

What I disliked was the obvious player stans on this forum which is now apparent with Perfetti. But that's not either players fault.
he was the EXACT same player before and after the hit.
Scored 44 goals in 16 mins a night the immediate year after. And I think he got even a bit more engaged physically for us post 18-19 season. An accumulation of injuries through the years though for sure could impact him though.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Adblocker
IMG_9790.png

Not even useful ads (and in French)with Romeo Camaro selling soccer betting ads.

Give me my Russian wife advertisements.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I think the post failed to yield due to the angle of the hit. There were effectively two posts holding the net in place. If it caught the top of his knee he's hurt bad.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
It's tough for me to compare now bc cbj is a team in a completely different direction and by all account managed poorly from the top. Would he be what he is in CBJ as a Jet now? :dunno:. As an aside, In the same transaction, it's why when I look at roslovics cbj scoring I know he wouldn't have been that here. But his scoring as a Jets bottom 6er I think we were missing that for a couple years here.

However, going off what both players did for us during their tenure as Jets and expecting that as a baseline, I take Laine. and this is coming from someone who thought this team was going to be better off and reaching new peaks with PLD. but looking back their ceiling ended up being what a 15th overall team? Elevate his linemates or team & taking the pressure off.... 2/3s of the years this team was below-average in offense with the with the sole (+) year being against a watered down group of opponents.

Not sure why it's just the first 2.5 years. Although I didn't think he was a prolific as his first two, the 19-20 season he was great ending up t-27th in league wide scoring & top-10 among RW, while still being a + player at 5v5 (on a team that was an overall negative at 5v5). Then his only game in the Canadian Division year was a great performance the GDT as a refresher. I do agree you do have to cater toward Laine. With that said, 3/4s of those years he rated real well in 5v5 GF% and helped the PP be one of our main strengths in our two best seasons. I'll also never be the one to argue that either are perfect players or lack any weaknesses to their game as I think perfect nhl players are few and V far between.

Part of the reason we can't just compare each of the players' tenures here is that during most of Laine's time here the Jets were a much better and deeper team, that rising tide lifted all boats including Laine. A lot of the Jets success during the Laine era was due to prime-Wheeler, Big Buff, Trouba and peak Scheifele respectively giving the Jets 1 RW, two 1D and a very good 1C level performances.

Additionally the Jets already have Kyle Connor - a defensively suspect pure goal scorer. I don't know if you can have too many of these types of players and win. For the Jets we need a better defensive compliment for guys like Connor and to a lesser extent Scheifele. And having Laine on the team would be too much of a load to carry. If both PLD and Laine play a full 82 game season (something Laine hasn't come close to), I see Laine putting up 70-75 points and dnd PLD putting up around 60 points. There is only a 10-15 difference in the two players but PLD would do it with his lines having even to 3-4% better underlying 5v5 metrics than the team average whereas Laine would be under water by 3-4% in the same metrics. Laine definitely has higher highs than PLD but he has lower lows as well. Maybe for a team like Carolina that is elite defesively it'd be preferable to have Laine as PLD only provides diminishing returns and they can cushion Laine to get the most out of him but for the Jets who already have Connor and to some extent Scheifele, do they have enough padding to cover for all these defensively suspect players and still win?

I just think Laine is a type of player who needs a very specific set of circumstance to truly thrive, and moreover he costs so much that it takes away some of the ability of a team to provide him those circumstances. Whereas PLD is a more "normal" NHL player. He for sure has his warts but can fit in more situations without having to bend over backwards for him.

Again I am not a Laine hater or anything, I just thing he is a difficult guy to accommodate due to all these reasons.

Some vintage Dubois power forwarding in gives-a-shit mode right there...

I watched the game, he had two of those net drives and looked engaged physically. Must've read that LA times article calling him out and was motivated for this game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Some vintage Dubois power forwarding in gives-a-shit mode right there...

Is it just me or are we a curse. We start chatting about PLD and Laine’s time here in this thread and tonight one gets benched and has a tantrum and the other while flashing the on night power move to the net might have gotten injured.

Not a good night for the inigma’s

In all seriousness I hope PLD isn’t injured badly.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I swear the Leafs and Jets have been playing the exact same season. They have virtually mirrored each other's records all year.

Reactions: Jets 31

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I wonder if Rutger McGroarty is OK ? I heard on the radio broadcast of the Jets last game he was taken off in a stretcher and couldn't move. Hope he's ok ? - anybody know ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad