Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure where to put this but has anyone else noticed the ads have gone totally nuts lately on this site??? Hard to even use it!

Not sure what settings you have on/off or what device you use for the site but I have zero adds on my PC or iPad or iphone.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
captain-obvious.jpg

Woody is cannon fodder for Holland. Cap hell, poor D, poor goaltending.

Edmonton's Old Boy safety net engaged hard.
Yeah, this board would implode if we had to deal with the ownership and management Oilers fans have had

Laine is who he is. Just a one dimensional top 6 player that doesn't even have his shot anymore. It's looking more and more like the org was correct not to invest in him long term. It's too bad cause he had a crazy amount of talent but never really figured out how to get the most out of it.
The day McCabe blew him up was the end of that Patrik Laine

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They're also bad on Twitter, anytime someone says that they're shooting at an unsustainable level there are legions of people ready to tell that person how wrong they are.

They've been very good, I can give their fans a bit of a break since they've been bad for awhile.
They’re also bad on Reddit.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
idk if easily is true. laine helped propel this team's pp to one of the best in the league when it was customarily near the bottom prior to him coming. shit on PP numbers all you want, but the PP was the hallmark of 2 of our most successful seasons which trump anything PLD's Jets delivered, while still being a +Goal-Diff player at 5v5 in 3/4 years. the 18-19 season he was definitely terrible at 5v5 post November, and deserved criticism. I thought he bounced back pretty well in 19-20 finishing top-10 in scoring for RW. those other 3 seasons ranged from v good to having this board wetting their pants.

PLD on the other hand, based on his CBJ numbers at his age really never took a step in production or all-around play imo, on a team that had a better surrounding cast. then there's the PO performances when Scheifele was out and he barely stepped up. imo his style of play may not have been sustainable for a full year with the gritty/garbage-goal style, which led to his play detriorating towards the end of the year. he is still a really good player dont get me wrong but just dont think he helped propel this team to new heights that were expected.

and i am not someone who was super enamored with laine. i do appreciate goal-scoring more than others on here it seems, but when comparing is it vs the PLD-Jets, the latter was just so mid. even off the ice, i thought laine stood up for the city pretty well when it was getting shit on.
People also went on and on about what a “two-way force” PLD was when I thought he was average at best defensively.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
People also went on and on about what a “two-way force” PLD was when I thought he was average at best defensively.
I remember a poster calling his play Toews or Bergeron....the disrespect mentioning Toews or Bergeron in the same sentence. As PLD.
Yeah, this board would implode if we had to deal with the ownership and management Oilers fans have had

Yeah he only scored 44goals/2nd in the league in like 16 mins a night the year after.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
idk if easily is true. laine helped propel this team's pp to one of the best in the league when it was customarily near the bottom prior to him coming. shit on PP numbers all you want, but the PP was the hallmark of 2 of our most successful seasons which trump anything PLD's Jets delivered, while still being a +Goal-Diff player at 5v5 in 3/4 years. the 18-19 season he was definitely terrible at 5v5 post November, and deserved criticism. I thought he bounced back pretty well in 19-20 finishing top-10 in scoring for RW. those other 3 seasons ranged from v good to having this board wetting their pants.

PLD on the other hand, based on his CBJ numbers at his age really never took a step in production or all-around play imo, on a team that had a better surrounding cast. then there's the PO performances when Scheifele was out and he barely stepped up. imo his style of play may not have been sustainable for a full year with the gritty/garbage-goal style, which led to his play detriorating towards the end of the year. he is still a really good player dont get me wrong but just dont think he helped propel this team to new heights that were expected.

and i am not someone who was super enamored with laine. i do appreciate goal-scoring more than others on here it seems, but when comparing is it vs the PLD-Jets, the latter was just so mid. even off the ice, i thought laine stood up for the city pretty well when it was getting shit on.

I don't think the Laine of the first 2.5 years is the same Laine now. If you have to pick between one of PLD and Laine with their current play level and current contracts, who would you pick? For me it is not even a question, it is PLD easily, warts and all.

I agree that maybe the reason PLD struggles during stretches is that his physical hard nosed play style isn't sustainable and I agree his tenure here was a disappointment, esp his inabilty to rise to the occasion in 3 different playoff runs when Scheifele was either suspended or injured. That said, we are picking between PLD and Laine. PLD is still at worst a solid 2nd line C, Bryan Little type production with physicality and grit. What is Laine? I am not sure I know.

Another thing to remember is how high-maintainence Laine was/is on the ice, you always have to find the right linemates for him, always be working your lines around him to keep him going at 5v5. PLD at the very least is able to put up 2C level results with pretty much anyone you throw on his line and when he is going (even if that happens inconsistently) he can elevate his linemates. That alone takes the pressure off the team a bit in how the rest of the roster is constructed. They are both 8.5 million players, I'd take the one who is a bit easier to build the team around.

And finally this is not quanitifiable and largely anecdotal but when I watch Laine there is so many times when he is not going I want him off the ice for the team's benefit whereas with PLD I might be frustrated by his lacksidaiscal play but seldom even during his worst is he costing the team too much. When is not going he's just not doing anything good but nothing too disastrous happens.

And again I am not a PLD supporter, I was calling out his up and down play last season and taking flack for it before it was cool to do so, when many here were enamored with his game. I just think in comparison to Laine he is a better player to make a run with.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure where to put this but has anyone else noticed the ads have gone totally nuts lately on this site??? Hard to even use it!
It's brutal, especially on mobile
I don't think the Laine of the first 2.5 years is the same Laine now. If you have to pick between one of PLD and Laine with their current play level and current contracts, who would you pick? For me it is not even a question, it is PLD easily, warts and all.

I agree that maybe the reason PLD struggles during stretches is that his physical hard nosed play style isn't sustainable and I agree his tenure here was a disappointment, esp his inabilty to rise to the occasion in 3 different playoff runs when Scheifele was either suspended or injured. That said, we are picking between PLD and Laine. PLD is still at worst a solid 2nd line C, Bryan Little type production with physicality and grit. What is Laine? I am not sure I know.

Another thing to remember is how high-maintainence Laine was/is on the ice, you always have to find the right linemates for him, always be working your lines around him to keep him going at 5v5. PLD at the very least is able to put up 2C level results with pretty much anyone you throw on his line and when he is going (even if that happens inconsistently) he can elevate his linemates. That alone takes the pressure off the team a bit in how the rest of the roster is constructed. They are both 8.5 million players, I'd take the one who is a bit easier to build the team around.

And finally this is not quanitifiable and largely anecdotal but when I watch Laine there is so many times when he is not going I want him off the ice for the team's benefit whereas with PLD I might be frustrated by his lacksidaiscal play but seldom even during his worst is he costing the team too much. When is not going he's just not doing anything good but nothing too disastrous happens.
It's tough for me to compare now bc cbj is a team in a completely different direction and by all account managed poorly from the top. Would he be what he is in CBJ as a Jet now? :dunno:. As an aside, In the same transaction, it's why when I look at roslovics cbj scoring I know he wouldn't have been that here. But his scoring as a Jets bottom 6er I think we were missing that for a couple years here.

However, going off what both players did for us during their tenure as Jets and expecting that as a baseline, I take Laine. and this is coming from someone who thought this team was going to be better off and reaching new peaks with PLD. but looking back their ceiling ended up being what a 15th overall team? Elevate his linemates or team & taking the pressure off.... 2/3s of the years this team was below-average in offense with the with the sole (+) year being against a watered down group of opponents.

Not sure why it's just the first 2.5 years. Although I didn't think he was a prolific as his first two, the 19-20 season he was great ending up t-27th in league wide scoring & top-10 among RW, while still being a + player at 5v5 (on a team that was an overall negative at 5v5). Then his only game in the Canadian Division year was a great performance the GDT as a refresher. I do agree you do have to cater toward Laine. With that said, 3/4s of those years he rated real well in 5v5 GF% and helped the PP be one of our main strengths in our two best seasons. I'll also never be the one to argue that either are perfect players or lack any weaknesses to their game as I think perfect nhl players are few and V far between.

Last edited:

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013

I agree about Laine. He showed the odd flash but he has not been the same player since that hit.

Reactions: Jet

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not sure what settings you have on/off or what device you use for the site but I have zero adds on my PC or iPad or iphone.
What settings are you using on an iPad? I barely use it, other than in GDTs for Jets games, but that has become entirely unbearable due to load speeds, glitching, reloading, etc.

I'm fine on my PCs, rarely use my phone (though it performs better than the iPad)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
@JetsFan815 and @DRW204

Interesting debate about two players that flashed really high levels in their own way but at the end of the day both left me wanting.

Laine is interesting because of how he entered the league in the first two seasons. His play was propped up by an unsustainable shooting % but he was still
A difference maker. The issue is once his shooting % regressed to the mean he was always going to fall short of what expectations were for a 19 year old that got 44 goals while shooting 19%.

PLD was at his best the first half of last season when he was a bad ass PPG #1 centre that would bully guys like Matthews physically. What a joy to watch when he’s clicking.

At their worst you had an entitled lazy looking winger who seemed to expect the team to be built around him, or a zero give a shit , floating centre, checking the flight times out of town, man child, who was biding his time.

I will always miss players like Buff or Little but I don’t miss PLD or Laine. I have some good memories but I am glad they are someone else’s enigma now.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
@JetsFan815 and @DRW204

Interesting debate about two players that flashed really high levels in their own way but at the end of the day both left me wanting.

Laine is interesting because of how he entered the league in the first two seasons. His play was propped up by an unsustainable shooting % but he was still
A difference maker. The issue is once his shooting % regressed to the mean he was always going to fall short of what expectations were for a 19 year old that got 44 goals while shooting 19%.

PLD was at his best the first half of last season when he was a bad ass PPG #1 centre that would bully guys like Matthews physically. What a joy to watch when he’s clicking.

At their worst you had an entitled lazy looking winger who seemed to expect the team to be built around him, or a zero
give a shit , floating centre checking the flight times out of town man child who was biding his time.

I will always miss players like Buff or Little but I don’t miss PLD or Laine. I have some good memories but I am glad they are someone else’s enigma now.
I mentioned the McCabe hit on Laine as a factor, but I think a couple of other things played a role (as well as your shooting percentage argument).

As the league became aware of how lethal Laine's shot was, they started prescouting him and paying more attention to him. I don't know if he did what was necessary to counteract that.
Laine also had the benefit of a very strong team around him in his prime years. That made it harder for teams to focus on him as the Jets could burn you 10 ways from Sunday.

At any rate, we will always have the memory of prime Laine - but what we've essentially ended up with as a result of his trade is far, far better for the team.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Being mad at people saying your team's PDO is likely to drop is so weird. Yes, Demko could have a career year this season, or may have suddenly "figured it out" 8 years into his pro career. Yes, your team may be minimizing shots from the outside and maximizing shots from the slot or cross-seam one-timers (although the shot data we have available certainly indicates the Canucks don't), or you may just have the most talented collective of snipers the league has ever seen.

People are just saying it's unlikely.

Someone started a main board thread complaining that "hockey analysis these days are just pointing to PDO," and I haven't seen that at all. It mostly happens in the beginning of the season, because that's when teams' save percentages tend to be at their most deceptive.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mentioned the McCabe hit on Laine as a factor, but I think a couple of other things played a role (as well as your shooting percentage argument).

As the league became aware of how lethal Laine's shot was, they started prescouting him and paying more attention to him. I don't know if he did what was necessary to counteract that.
Laine also had the benefit of a very strong team around him in his prime years. That made it harder for teams to focus on him as the Jets could burn you 10 ways from Sunday.

At any rate, we will always have the memory of prime Laine - but what we've essentially ended up with as a result of his trade is far, far better for the team.

I agre, teams started to be able to neutralize his favorite shooting spots. He was mostly a long range shooter and those spots are easier to defend. He never got into the paint/slot enough to keep his scoring up.

Reactions: thereturn and Jet

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What settings are you using on an iPad? I barely use it, other than in GDTs for Jets games, but that has become entirely unbearable due to load speeds, glitching, reloading, etc.

I'm fine on my PCs, rarely use my phone (though it performs better than the iPad)

That’s weird, I don’t ever remember doing anything albeit I’ve been a member a long time. On your search engine do you block pop ups?

Literally I’ve never seen a single add on any device.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

have the same issue on ipad

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Being mad at people saying your team's PDO is likely to drop is so weird. Yes, Demko could have a career year this season, or may have suddenly "figured it out" 8 years into his pro career. Yes, your team may be minimizing shots from the outside and maximizing shots from the slot or cross-seam one-timers (although the shot data we have available certainly indicates the Canucks don't), or you may just have the most talented collective of snipers the league has ever seen.

People are just saying it's unlikely.

Someone started a main board thread complaining that "hockey analysis these days are just pointing to PDO," and I haven't seen that at all. It mostly happens in the beginning of the season, because that's when teams' save percentages tend to be at their most deceptive.
As long as the Canucks keep getting 15% shooting and .930 goaltending I think they'll be alright... :sarcasm:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

It’s the iPhone version. Ads on ads with ads in the background. Makes my phone unusable.

Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad