Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Listening to Vancouver morning sports radio and holy crap Drance is out to lunch.
This morning he talks about Stanley as a good young defenceman, yesterday he mentioned Zach Sanford in our bottom 6.
It's funny how that works ... fans in different cities view some of the Jets players as good while this board calls them crap.
What's even funnier some of the board members here want Canucks players who the Canucks wanted to dump but no GMs will trade them.

Reactions: Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really need to do something about that before next year.

I know Jets avoid buyouts, but Pionk's contract can be bought out quite well. Only 625k next year, which is when we would most need it. After next year Wheeler's cap hit becomes available and the cap should be rising. The buyout would then be costing us a little over 2 mil for each of 3 more years.

I would hate to have to do that, but between the way he is playing and the size of his contract that may be the best way. IDK if he is tradeable even with heavy retention.

Smitty should be moveable but I would rather keep him of the 2.

If Pionk pots 40 points we might be able to move him. There should be some market for a 40 point RD.

It's funny how that works ... fans in different cities view some of the Jets players as good while this board calls them crap.
What's even funnier some of the board members here want Canucks players who the Canucks wanted to dump but no GMs will trade them.

Grass is ways greener syndrome.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Pionk pots 40 points we might be able to move him. There should be some market for a 40 point RD.
If the trade was for Ryan Pulock I'd consider it, but I don't think fans realize how hard it is to get players to sign long term here. Every player that did, did so because they were convinced to stay on a team that had potential to win, and they generally got along in the locker room. Most were coming off ELCs or in their 2nd contract negotiations. Otherwise this defense was built up on bad contracts from other teams, including Dillon's which sees the Jets paying him an actual 5.5 million for this season. Which in fairness is probably still an improvement from the market value Forbort and Poolman got.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If the trade was for Ryan Pulock I'd consider it, but I don't think fans realize how hard it is to get players to sign long term here. Every player that did, did so because they were convinced to stay on a team that had potential to win, and they generally got along in the locker room. Most were coming off ELCs or in their 2nd contract negotiations. Otherwise this defense was built up on bad contracts from other teams, including Dillon's which sees the Jets paying him an actual 5.5 million for this season. Which in fairness is probably still an improvement from the market value Forbort and Poolman got.

This team has traded players who signed for term here before so no reason they won't do so again if they need to relocate their cap.

Just because a player inks here for term doesn't mean we should keep them for the duration of their deal, especially if they aren't proving to have the type of impact we need.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This team has traded players who signed for term here before so no reason they won't do so again if they need to relocate their cap.

Just because a player inks here for term doesn't mean we should keep them for the duration of their deal, especially if they aren't proving to have the type of impact we need.
Name one. Besides Kane and Bogo, and we know there's more to both getting moved. Signing here for term likely means you stay here for the term.

Reactions: DRW204

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ladd was traded going into his UFA year. After the Jets made the right choice of re-signing Buff, and not extending the captain. Pionk still has 2 years left after this one. As part of that Minnesota mafia I expect him to be here next year, 100%.
Ladd made the right choice for the Jets by turning down all their offers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Name one. Besides Kane and Bogo, and we know there's more to both getting moved. Signing here for term likely means you stay here for the term.
yeah it's seldom they make trades of current players with term. i guess steve mason had 1 full year remaining on his deal, but he was toast.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ladd was traded going into his UFA year. After the Jets made the right choice of re-signing Buff, and not extending the captain. Pionk still has 2 years left after this one. As part of that Minnesota mafia I expect him to be here next year, 100%.

Sure but name a player we have signed to term that was expendable or a player we would have wanted to trade?

None of Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, JoMo, Conner, Helle fit that bill as they are all core pieces.

Pionk is a complimentary piece signed to term, most other complimentary pieces our GM plays the grind game with and keeps them cost controlled. I can't see Chevy getting hung up on complimentary pieces, he's shown he's willing to walk away from or trade them.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Not sure where to post this so I will put it here.
Going to California for 6 weeks and would like to watch Jets games. I am willing to pay for a subscription but I am told SNNOW Premium only works in Canada.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Perhaps someone has already replied but I use ESPN+. Unless it’s local it should have every game.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That ill fated signing cost a draft pick and Joel Armia as well. Just a bad deal all around, but at least it's proof that Cheveldayoff will trade his way out of a problem if he needs to. He just needs to come to a conclusion that it's a problem.
You can't fault Chevy on that one. Hellebuyck's first pro season with the Jets was hardly a success, very Pavelec like numbers. He put it together in the final year of his ELC, and got paid for it. Which forced Chevy to move salary. Losing Armia wasn't the end of the team, as he was being displaced by Roslovic at times in the playoffs anyways, and then you had Appleton farther down the pipeline. Armia had two years left before UFA when he got traded, and I still think he asked for it behind closed doors. He got overpaid in Montreal, the Jets would have had to trade him anyways if he came out asking for money than Lowry here.

Next year's contracts are Dubois's raise if the Jets go to the end, and raises for Stanley, Samberg and Barron, which probably aren't significant ones. Stenlund and AJF will be happy with one way contracts I imagine, more than anything. So I don't think there's a predicament that Chevy finds himself in.

Reactions: hn777

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
All true.
Being in BC I see and hear a lot of the Canucks and I can tell you I have zero interest in Horvat, Boesser, Garland, etc. None of these guys will move the needle in the way we want other than maybe Horvat.
The assets required to pick up Horvat will be way too high and as someone radio wag mentioned this morning, a couple of teams are willing to offer Horvat a deal that starts with a 9.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Grass is ways greener syndrome.

True, he is scoring a bit, ~35 pt pace. So maybe with retention, which would be better than buyout just because it is shorter. But that 1st year of the buyout for Pionk has to look attractive. 50% retention leaves $2,937,500. It almost = buying out 2 years in only 3 instead of 4. A difference of 2mil+ cap space next year.

Try to move him 1st before doing a buyout but if he isn't gone by the buyout date, pull the trigger.

Edit: There is a corollary to the grass is always greener. Something like the grass is always browner on your side of the fence. We get pretty down on some of our own sometimes. Witness my recent comments about Pionk. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Jets didn't choose not to extend the captain. They offered him 5x6 (or was it 6x6?). He chose to go to NYI for 7x5.5. The extra term = more total money.

What you are advocating amounts to choosing Pionk (or Schmidt) over Dubois. The pending UFA contracts don't add up to much and each player will need to be replaced by another for at least similar money. Other than moving either Pionk or Schmidt, were would we get the cap space from?

Of course, if PLD won't extend here, the problem is pretty much gone. But Pionk's defensive play isn't any better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can't fault Chevy on that one. Hellebuyck's first pro season with the Jets was hardly a success, very Pavelec like numbers. He put it together in the final year of his ELC, and got paid for it. Which forced Chevy to move salary. Losing Armia wasn't the end of the team, as he was being displaced by Roslovic at times in the playoffs anyways, and then you had Appleton farther down the pipeline. Armia had two years left before UFA when he got traded, and I still think he asked for it behind closed doors. He got overpaid in Montreal, the Jets would have had to trade him anyways if he came out asking for money than Lowry here.

Next year's contracts are Dubois's raise if the Jets go to the end, and raises for Stanley, Samberg and Barron, which probably aren't significant ones. Stenlund and AJF will be happy with one way contracts I imagine, more than anything. So I don't think there's a predicament that Chevy finds himself in.

Moving goal posts here. He doesn't do it except when he does it doesn't count. He doesn't do it because he hasn't had the need to do it.

Where are you thinking we get the cap space to sign Dubois?

The predicament is not just retaining PLD and cap management. It is that Pionk has not played well enough for the last 2 years to justify his contract.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Jets didn't choose not to extend the captain. They offered him 5x6 (or was it 6x6?). He chose to go to NYI for 7x5.5. The extra term = more total money.

What you are advocating amounts to choosing Pionk (or Schmidt) over Dubois. The pending UFA contracts don't add up to much and each player will need to be replaced by another for at least similar money. Other than moving either Pionk or Schmidt, were would we get the cap space from?

Of course, if PLD won't extend here, the problem is pretty much gone. But Pionk's defensive play isn't any better.
Fair enough, Ladd took more on the market than the Jets offered, that would be the correct way of looking at it.

The Jets have at least $16 million in Cap space next year with a 15 man roster. Cap Friendly's calculations are slightly off as by my count they aren't counting Appleton as a roster player but counting his Cap Hit (as IR), and Heinola as one, even though it's not possible the Jets carry 9 d-men next year.

So for me I'd say you re-sign Dubois at $9 million for one final shot, makes him the highest paid player on the team. Stanley around $1.5 million, as I don't think the Jets cast him out, with Dillon so close to UFA, there isn't another player like that one the roster. Barron's value is a tough one for me to pin, and term. He's already 24 so I think the Jets would like to get some term from him. $1.75 million/4 years? $3.75 million for 4 more players is easily achievable. I don't think Samberg goes above $1.25 million. Now Heinola's situation is the most difficult one, where I don't see the Jets starting him in the minors next year, even though depth wise that would put the Jets in a strong position. So if somebody gets moved it could be a d-man but I'd predict a LD before a RD. Just based on depth. Maybe it's Heinola himself, since his agent has made some noise...Pionk is part of a winning team, and playing a significant role on it, I don't think management is as dissatisfied with the player as fans are, and there's always one whipping boy...last year it was Scheifele.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Fair enough, Ladd took more on the market than the Jets offered, that would be the correct way of looking at it.

The Jets have at least $16 million in Cap space next year with a 15 man roster. Cap Friendly's calculations are slightly off as by my count they aren't counting Appleton as a roster player but counting his Cap Hit (as IR), and Heinola as one, even though it's not possible the Jets carry 9 d-men next year.

So for me I'd say you re-sign Dubois at $9 million for one final shot, makes him the highest paid player on the team. Stanley around $1.5 million, as I don't think the Jets cast him out, with Dillon so close to UFA, there isn't another player like that one the roster. Barron's value is a tough one for me to pin, and term. He's already 24 so I think the Jets would like to get some term from him. $1.75 million/4 years? $3.75 million for 4 more players is easily achievable. I don't think Samberg goes above $1.25 million. Now Heinola's situation is the most difficult one, where I don't see the Jets starting him in the minors next year, even though depth wise that would put the Jets in a strong position. So if somebody gets moved it could be a d-man but I'd predict a LD before a RD. Just based on depth. Maybe it's Heinola himself, since his agent has made some noise...Pionk is part of a winning team, and playing a significant role on it, I don't think management is as dissatisfied with the player as fans are, and there's always one whipping boy...last year it was Scheifele.

That looks about right. If Dubois won't sign for any UFA years then he'll be playing for is QO again at around 6 million. He could be a crazy valuable rental trade that year, if that's how the cookie crumbles. Maybe he could get 9 million with term tho

editL or can Dubois go to arbitration and get a 1 (or is it 2) year deal?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You are probably right that management is not as down on Pionk as fans are. But if he doesn't get better damn soon they might be by the end of the season.

No way on gawd's green Earth that Stanley gets over 1 mil. Please no! Another player like what? Stanley is huge but he doesn't play a very physical game. That's the worst thing about his size. It gets him all kinds of rope because of it but he doesn't use it very well except for his reach. He has been willing to fight a couple of times, but he isn't very good at it.

I haven't added up all of the numbers, but a quick look doesn't leave 9 mil for Dubois. The season he is having, an arb award might be even higher.

I would be against keeping him for that last year. I know it would be a potential deep run again, but there is a lot that can go wrong with that too. I would trade him for the best offer if we can't extend him. I think we are screwed if we lose him for nothing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Everytime I watch Tage Thompson I lament to myself that this is what Laine should have become.
Laine physical game was rounding quite a bit his final season + game here. And was becoming a bit of that power forward which many seemed to have wanted. But honestly don't follow him any more so don't have a qualified opinion.

As for Tage what a weird career arc.... Apparently scored 1 even strength goal his draft year, does nothing with STL and is traded. Starts off slow with Buffalo, switches to Center and is now some some elite scorer. Buffalo is probably thanking their lucky stars that they signed him prior to this year. 5th in points, 3rd in goals and his 7.14m starts next season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
think calder is starting to creep to almost unanimous territory? or at least heavy favorite in beniers.

16 goals 34 pts in 40 gp. +8 on 2nd place in pts, and +5 in 2nd place in goals. seems to rate well defensively too. linemate mix is primarily with a combo of eberle, and mccan.

min 100 mins together
1673451805224.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad