Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Andrew Copp on pace for about 10 goals and 45 points.
Not sure what more Detroit fans were expecting based on his history.
Oh wait, too much money!
Copp's unsustainable run with the Rangers probably added $1M in AAV to his UFA deal with Detroit. We all knew someone was going to pay him pretty big this offseason - and I'm pretty glad it wasn't the Jets...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Copp's unsustainable run with the Rangers probably added $1M in AAV to his UFA deal with Detroit. We all knew someone was going to pay him pretty big this offseason - and I'm pretty glad it wasn't the Jets...

He is what he is a good middle 6 player.

Reactions: Gm0ney

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It boggles my mind that Oiler management can't build a proper team around McDrai. They look to be in a precarious spot with regards to playoffs this year in a fairly weak division.

Just horrible mismanagement over there. You basically have this generation's Crosby and Malkin, but you don't have a Letang or a Fleury. Darnell Nurse isn't it. Their depth is also f***ing atrocious. Those guys are going to go elsewhere when their contracts are up. Edmonton will have wasted them, like everyone expected them to. Ken Holland is a fraud.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just horrible mismanagement over there. You basically have this generation's Crosby and Malkin, but you don't have a Letang or a Fleury. Darnell Nurse isn't it. Their depth is also f***ing atrocious. Those guys are going to go elsewhere when their contracts are up. Edmonton will have wasted them, like everyone expected them to. Ken Holland is a fraud.

It's not like MAF was great for the Pens a good portion of the playoffs he played for them.

They should have more then enough upfront with real good top 6 talent in Kane, RNH and Hyman. I have no clue how they have drafted so poorly that they can't assemble 3 real strong lines around what they have.

Sure the defense isn't great but if their forwards actually bought into stronger two-way play they should still be able to ice a quality roster.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Listening to Vancouver morning sports radio and holy crap Drance is out to lunch.
This morning he talks about Stanley as a good young defenceman, yesterday he mentioned Zach Sanford in our bottom 6.

In all honesty I think GMs still have a massive size and grit bias. It's why we can get a good defensive dmen in DeMelo for a mid round pick at the deadline while an inferior player in Ben f***ing Chariot returns a unprotected first.

I'd imagine despite what we as fans think some GM would be willing to pay something good for Stanley.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
In all honesty I think GMs still have a massive size and grit bias. It's why we can get a good defensive dmen in DeMelo for a mid round pick at the deadline while an inferior player in Ben f***ing Chariot returns a unprotected first.

I'd imagine despite what we as fans think some GM would be willing to pay something good for Stanley.
Make it so!

None

Feb 22, 2012
It's why we can get a good defensive dmen in DeMelo for a mid round pick at the deadline

And probably plays a part in why he went through the expansion draft. It's kind of crazy that another team didn't make a side deal with Seattle to pick a couple of the players that were left exposed in exchange for Seattle draft capital. And not just for Demelo, but other players that were left exposed by other teams too.

Then again, Seattle didn't seem very willing to make deals so :dunno:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Things like 9 Mill for a guy like Nurse will do that.
How bad value is nurse? I thought he was decent a few years ago. I Tend to ignore everything Alberta. (Did they get a new premier more than 15 minutes ago?)

If somebody wants to give up a great prospect or middle six winger for Logan Stanley's service, they should line up for it.
Stanley was a pretty good playoff performer, iirc.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And probably plays a part in why he went through the expansion draft. It's kind of crazy that another team didn't make a side deal with Seattle to pick a couple of the players that were left exposed in exchange for Seattle draft capital. And not just for Demelo, but other players that were left exposed by other teams too.

Francis overplayed his hand. He was asking for too high of prices so teams said f*** it and let him make his picks.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Francis overplayed his hand. He was asking for too high of prices so teams said f*** it and let him make his picks.

I'm just surprised that teams didn't approach either expansion drafts telling Francis and McPhee "If X is available we'll give you Y+ for X."

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Drouin is French and Serg needed time to marinate. The Habs have blinders for anything Francais, especially their media.

And they thought they could convert him (overnight) into a C. They were seriously desperate for a top 6 C.

It boggles my mind that Oiler management can't build a proper team around McDrai. They look to be in a precarious spot with regards to playoffs this year in a fairly weak division.

19 games of Jack Campbell hasn't helped.

Reactions: Aggie204

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I wouldn't mind having him for that 1 mil less though.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree but I think we should move quickly. They will figure it out eventually.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We got Appleton back for a 4th. Regardless of anyone's opinion on Apples, it means we got through that expansion draft for a 4th. We were in a much weaker position than we were for the Vegas draft. Our best young players were exempt from that one.

I guess I could look at it as the results evened out. :laugh:

Reactions: surixon

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I just wonder how much longer until McDavid demands out of Edmonton.

Yeah ~$4.5M sounds about right. Too bad the Jets have $12M tied up in Pionk and Schmidt or they might be able to afford some luxuries..
I don't think the Jets miss Copp at all right now, i like our bottom 6 and we don't have Appleton playing yet either.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah ~$4.5M sounds about right. Too bad the Jets have $12M tied up in Pionk and Schmidt or they might be able to afford some luxuries..

Really need to do something about that before next year.

I know Jets avoid buyouts, but Pionk's contract can be bought out quite well. Only 625k next year, which is when we would most need it. After next year Wheeler's cap hit becomes available and the cap should be rising. The buyout would then be costing us a little over 2 mil for each of 3 more years.

I would hate to have to do that, but between the way he is playing and the size of his contract that may be the best way. IDK if he is tradeable even with heavy retention.

Smitty should be moveable but I would rather keep him of the 2.

None

Feb 22, 2012
We got Appleton back for a 4th.

I was thinking more immediate flipping of players for prospects or draft picks; not where Appleton played something like 50 games for them before being dealt back to the Jets. He was also disappointing in Seattle where he was touted by Francis at the expansion draft as being a top 6 forward :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just wonder how much longer until McDavid demands out of Edmonton.

I don't think the Jets miss Copp at all right now, i like our bottom 6 and we don't have Appleton playing yet either.

We missed him all the time that Ehlers was out. He was the best middle 6'er to move up if we had had him. The same would apply if we have another top 6 injury, and he can play any F position.

Otherwise, I think he would make our bottom 6 a little better, but really not enough to justify the additional cost.

I was thinking more immediate flipping of players for prospects or draft picks; not where Appleton played something like 50 games for them before being dealt back to the Jets. He was also disappointing in Seattle where he was touted by Francis at the expansion draft as being a top 6 forward :laugh:

Ya, but like I said, regardless of how you may feel about Apples, the fact is that the Seattle expansion cost us a 4th in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad