Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just wonder how much longer until McDavid demands out of Edmonton.

I don't think the Jets miss Copp at all right now, i like our bottom 6 and we don't have Appleton playing yet either.
Yeah I don't miss Copp. I enjoyed his time but we got him at a bargain price. I think he's somewhat overrated around here. He could never really drive play or even hold his own for any significant length of time in the top 6. He's a great 3rd line player, and really overpaid for that.

If you want to have a strong team, you cannot afford to overpay players. Currently, I think we are overpaying Schmidt, Pionk (based on current play) and Wheeler. I think you can understand the why behind all of these players.

Trying to reacquire Copp would be a dumb move, especially considering I think Barron is going to be a better version of Copp and he's cost controlled.

If we are going to pick someone up, we either need to swing for the fences (legit top 6 forward and top 2 D) or we just roll with what we have and prepare to figure out how we deal with Scheifele, Dubois, and Hellebuyck.

I know it might be shiny new toy syndrome, but I am intrigued to find out the ceiling of some of our new guys, specifically Samberg, Heinola, Capobianco (yeah sorry I like him), Maenalanen, Barron, Stenlund and AJF.

With the forwards, they could all end up just being what they are, but I have faith at least a couple of them will continue to grow:

Barron has some nice young Wheeler vibes in his game
Maenalanen is really great as is but with that heavy shot you have to wonder if he'll end up scoring more
Stenlund has some really encouraging aspects to his game
AJF I truly believe will be at the least a 15-30 guy on the 4th line who really causes the opposition fits trying to break out and PK's well.

Thank you for reading my rambling post

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Looking at the standings in the West if the playoffs started today it would be

Central

Dallas (1st)
Calgary (WC2)

Winnipeg (2)
Minnesota (3)

Pacific

Vegas (1)
Nashville (WC1)

Seattle (2)
L.A. Kings (3)

Lots of time for changes in that. The way teams are trending I think there's a decent chance Seattle wins the Pacific division this year.

Notable for me is that the two Western Conference finalists from last year, Colorado and Edmonton, would be out of the playoffs.

I predicted the Oilers missing the playoffs this year. Last year they were also stuck in the mud, until Woodcroft took over and Kane was acquired. That has to be unacceptable to the management though, you can't have the talent they have up front and expect to miss the playoffs, so be interesting to see how Ken Holland deals with it.

Colorado is a little more difficult situation. Injuries have been a huge factor, and having Kadri and Burakovsky poached from them, not to mention Kuemper, you wonder if Sakic is feeling the pressure, or just accepting that this isn't their season. They don't have a lot of draft picks to trade, part of building the team into a winner. I wonder if they stay on the outside, with injuries being a big factor, if they don't in fact become sellers, to build for next year's team, with most of the key players still in place. But limited Cap space on account of Mackinnon's raise.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Laine physical game was rounding quite a bit his final season + game here. And was becoming a bit of that power forward which many seemed to have wanted. But honestly don't follow him any more so don't have a qualified opinion.

As for Tage what a weird career arc.... Apparently scored 1 even strength goal his draft year, does nothing with STL and is traded. Starts off slow with Buffalo, switches to Center and is now some some elite scorer. Buffalo is probably thanking their lucky stars that they signed him prior to this year. 5th in points, 3rd in goals and his 7.14m starts next season.
His game essentially stagnated or even somewhat declined after his d+2 year level when he was a 19-20 year old. Which is weird because guys at that age continue to improve for a couple of years. I did not see much improvement from him in his final season. You can see that Laine at that age had all the similar ingredient that Tage does (size, good hands, dangling ability, one timer) but it never turned into the level of player that some of us thought. Laine fans used to say that he was the 2nd coming of Lemieux... Tage on the other hand does looking Lemieux-like.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
His game essentially stagnated or even somewhat declined after his d+2 year level when he was a 19-20 year old. Which is weird because guys at that age continue to improve for a couple of years. I did not see much improvement from him in his final season. You can see that Laine at that age had all the similar ingredient that Tage does (size, good hands, dangling ability, one timer) but it never turned into the level of player that some of us thought. Laine fans used to say that he was the 2nd coming of Lemieux... Tage on the other hand does looking Lemieux-like.
i don't disagree. i honestly hate when people make HOF level comparable ie: lemieux. even w/ perfetti prior to the year i saw comparisons to scoring as a rookie like KC. or comparisons to some sort of amalgamation of Aho+Kucherov+Point.

anyway, i don't disagree he stagnated. he put up flat-out historic numbers as a teen. that sophmore year i have not see a player post a better scoring efficiency per TOI while netting 40+. only player to hit 40+ goals in under 16.5 mins per game from what i could find, & he did as a 19 year old. his inclusion also really propelled our PP to one of the best in the league, while we attained our most successful season to-date by both PO and regular-season results. I wasn't the biggest laine fan, but i do give props/recognition to his goal-scoring prowess for us. he'll never rate well in xGF stats (high avg. shot distance, and xGA gets tanked since he was connor-esque defensively while under maurice's poor overall defensive teams). but i believe in 3/4 full seasons with us he was among the team leaders for Fwds in GF vs GA at 5v5 which as you would expect given great goaltending and a great finisher.

18-19 was down, i thought he was great in 19-20 finishing 27th in NHL scoring while playing a more physically well-rounded game & trying for a bit more "garbage-goal" offense. however, i do recognize it was not as prolific or remarkable as his first 2 years (when you consider TOI, linemates). His sole game in the CDN Division year with us was outstanding and if that+19-20 was what he was going to be for the majority of his remaining career here, no one would be complaining for reference this was the PGT of his final game Post-Game Talk: - The Laine Show. Jets Win 4-3 in OT

anyway, im happy with the trade in dubois although this is the 1st great year with him, and it will mean nothing if we don't make it far in the POs which is the ultimate barometer for the team. Also, need to get him re-signed of course.

Reactions: hn777

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Looking at the standings in the West if the playoffs started today it would be

Central

Dallas (1st)
Calgary (WC2)

Winnipeg (2)
Minnesota (3)

Pacific

Vegas (1)
Nashville (WC1)

Seattle (2)
L.A. Kings (3)

Lots of time for changes in that. The way teams are trending I think there's a decent chance Seattle wins the Pacific division this year.

Notable for me is that the two Western Conference finalists from last year, Colorado and Edmonton, would be out of the playoffs.

I predicted the Oilers missing the playoffs this year. Last year they were also stuck in the mud, until Woodcroft took over and Kane was acquired. That has to be unacceptable to the management though, you can't have the talent they have up front and expect to miss the playoffs, so be interesting to see how Ken Holland deals with it.

Colorado is a little more difficult situation. Injuries have been a huge factor, and having Kadri and Burakovsky poached from them, not to mention Kuemper, you wonder if Sakic is feeling the pressure, or just accepting that this isn't their season. They don't have a lot of draft picks to trade, part of building the team into a winner. I wonder if they stay on the outside, with injuries being a big factor, if they don't in fact become sellers, to build for next year's team, with most of the key players still in place. But limited Cap space on account of Mackinnon's raise.

The path to the finals this year in the west doesn't look so tough. Might be a good year to load up for a run :)

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The path to the finals this year in the west doesn't look so tough. Might be a good year to load up for a run :)
might be the last time we have 2 #1 centers a norris level defensemen and vezina level goaltending plus some very high end wingers and with most teams in ltir or near the cap with little deadline space while we will have over 10 million at the deadline there may never be a better time to make a big splash and go for it this year. It could also prove to the players that we will want to re-sign that we are willing to make moves to win and could make it easier to re-up them

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
might be the last time we have 2 #1 centers a norris level defensemen and vezina level goaltending plus some very high end wingers and with most teams in ltir or near the cap with little deadline space while we will have over 10 million at the deadline there may never be a better time to make a big splash and go for it this year. It could also prove to the players that we will want to re-sign that we are willing to make moves to win and could make it easier to re-up them
yup, and the players will be in chevy's ear to make a splash.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

since the 05-06 lockout there's been an average of roughly 3 per year, note this includes the 20-21 year with 56 gp which 1 in Mcdavid, but excludes 12-13 since noone hit that feat.

list of seasons of 10+ 100+ pts players (note doesn't include those that were playing at a 100 pt pace)

1673543329221.png

Current players who have a max gp (so takes into account games missed ie: Mackinnon can play a max of 71 gp since he missed 11) of 95+ pts - can some of those hit the 100+ mark?

1673544000830.png

what a far-cry that 2014-2015 season has become when the scoring champ was 87 pts. obviously guys like mcdavid, pasta, rantanen, drai, kfc, robertson etc. weren't around but just shows the influx of talent since then.

Attachments

• 1673543880605.png
    1673543880605.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Jets struggle with Minnesota. That’s a gritty team with a superstar that I think beats the Jets in 6 or 7 hard games and even if the Jets would win, they’ll be too physically worn to take out Dallas.

And then there’s always VEGAS. That team forever has our number.

So yeah on the surface it appears to not be such a tough route with the potential of the defending Cup champs as well as the two headed monster McDrai both being on the outside. Unfortunately there’s still 3 pretty tough teams they’d have to go through.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets struggle with Minnesota. That’s a gritty team with a superstar that I think beats the Jets in 6 or 7 hard games and even if the Jets would win, they’ll be too physically worn to take out Dallas.

So yeah on the surface it appears to not be such a tough route with the potential of the defending Cup champs as well as the two headed monster McDrai both being on the outside. Unfortunately there’s still 3 pretty tough teams they’d have to go through.
It’s a little early yet to map out a series by series playoff run.

Reactions: surixon

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

It's all relative, and it seems relatively easier. Doesn't mean it will be easy

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

since the 05-06 lockout there's been an average of roughly 3 per year, note this includes the 20-21 year with 56 gp which 1 in Mcdavid, but excludes 12-13 since noone hit that feat.

list of seasons of 10+ 100+ pts players (note doesn't include those that were playing at a 100 pt pace)

View attachment 634147

Current players who have a max gp (so takes into account games missed ie: Mackinnon can play a max of 71 gp since he missed 11) of 95+ pts - can some of those hit the 100+ mark?

View attachment 634149

what a far-cry that 2014-2015 season has become when the scoring champ was 87 pts. obviously guys like mcdavid, pasta, rantanen, drai, kfc, robertson etc. weren't around but just shows the influx of talent since then.

Fun fact - I figured this out before today's game - Nik Ehlers was scoring at a 131 pt pace (82 gms).

Kraken are for real they just beat the Bruins................at home, that's 7 straight

WTF? :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: ps241 and FonRiesen

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Tolvanen producing well for them

And my boy Sprong has been one of the most productive fwds given their TOI
My fantasy replay league generates player competence based on "productivity per 60m". And somehow, Ding Dong Daniel Sprong is like, the head of my class. Of course, he'll only be able to play the actual time he plays, but this just blows my mind.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 01.54.57.png

Reactions: DRW204 and voyageur

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just realized that Alex Newhook only has 13 points in 40 games this year for Colorado. Brutal.

He was a guy that I thought for sure was gonna be a 2C. There’s still time for that, of course, but it’s not looking good.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
My fantasy replay league generates player competence based on "productivity per 60m". And somehow, Ding Dong Daniel Sprong is like, the head of my class. Of course, he'll only be able to play the actual time he plays, but this just blows my mind.

View attachment 634568
yeah i noticed he had v high SOG and goal rates in past years, and wondered how he'd produce with consistent TOI and linemates. he'd have been a guy id like the Jets have taken a flier on in the off-season (similar to svech the year prior). he's 2nd in the league in pts/60 behind Elias Pettersson. but yea likely has some warts to his game defensively, hence being a career suit-case & low TOI. whatever the case is he's 23 GF vs 6 GA at 5v5, and above 50% in both shot attempt/xGF share.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
yeah i noticed he had v high SOG and goal rates in past years, and wondered how he'd produce with consistent TOI and linemates. he'd have been a guy id like the Jets have taken a flier on in the off-season (similar to svech the year prior). he's 2nd in the league in pts/60 behind Elias Pettersson. but yea likely has some warts to his game defensively, hence being a career suit-case & low TOI. whatever the case is he's 23 GF vs 6 GA at 5v5, and above 50% in both shot attempt/xGF share.

I mean, Seattle's playing it smart then. If his ice time and his spot on the roster is empowering him to succeed, they'd be fools to go all Peter Principle on his ass and promote him to peak incompetence :) Plus he is, I believe the best Dutchman in the league and that counts for something!

He could also have been a late bloomer? He's only 25 so maybe he's just finding his groove. A man can dream, at least :)

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I mean, Seattle's playing it smart then. If his ice time and his spot on the roster is empowering him to succeed, they'd be fools to go all Peter Principle on his ass and promote him to peak incompetence :) Plus he is, I believe the best Dutchman in the league and that counts for something!

He could also have been a late bloomer? He's only 25 so maybe he's just finding his groove. A man can dream, at least :)
Seattle is smoke and mirrors. Their team goaltending save % is under .900 as a group, which i find incredible for a 25-12-4 team. Martin Jones is 20-5-3 with an .898 save %. How is that even possible?!? No way thats sustainable. Second half meltdown coming up.

Reactions: Aggie204

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Seattle is smoke and mirrors. Their team goaltending save % is under .900 as a group, which i find incredible for a 25-12-4 team. Martin Jones is 20-5-3 with an .898 save %. How is that even possible?!? No way thats sustainable. Second half meltdown coming up.
They're very good at limiting shots - 4th best in the league for all situations, and 3rd best at even strength, so that mitigates their weakness in goal. They're shooting over 12% (tops in the NHL) but that's roughly where the top SH% team ends up the last few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad