Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’m on the fence with his tenure there. I have a soft spot for the Panthers (my brother was a fan of theirs before the Jets came back — we were born after the original Jets left town so grew up rooting for different teams) and I generally am wishing well for their fans because they haven’t had a ton of success lately. And Maurice seems like a real good person, so it kinda sucks to see him possibly already on his way out the door at a new job that he just uprooted his family for … but I am enjoying seeing his struggles afflicting a different organization for a change. Maurice should’ve been gone after the Blues series, but that’s on Chevy/True North, not him. But after the past three wasted years there’s something amusing about watching another franchise go through what we put up with :dunno:

I don't wish him any ill will but he overstayed his welcome and is doubling down on his most recent methods.

I blame Chipman more so then Chevy on him staying longer. I think Chevy would have moved on earlier if it was fully his decision.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't wish him any ill will but he overstayed his welcome and is doubling down on his most recent methods.

I blame Chipman more so then Chevy on him staying longer. I think Chevy would have moved on earlier if it was fully his decision.
Yes wholeheartedly agree with this.

Reactions: roccerfeller

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Exhibit 101 on how not to develop prospects and now they are stuck because he is waiver eligible.
-2 with 13:05 TOI.
Is the poor development an organizational thing with the Rangers or is it the coach or is it the GM or?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would LOVE to see Winnipeg Jets pick up Jakub Vrana. He has so much talent, top 6 talent in my opinion, and even though he is in the Players Assistance Program could add a lot to the team.
He also has a cap hit of $5.25 M, and has barely played over the last couple seasons. On top of other issues. Much better ways for the Jets to use any available cap space.

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Toronto and the Snow Buntings got stuffed by the depleted Blues

Edmonton loses again

This time, 5-2 to the Krackheads

Over at HF Coilers

1672832474443.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
-2 with 13:05 TOI.
Is the poor development an organizational thing with the Rangers or is it the coach or is it the GM or?

This is on the GM. It was either a poor draft choice or they have botched his development. Seems like a pattern with the Rangers.

On 32 thoughts Friedman was saying Gallant values consistency of effort above all from his players and Laf has struggled with that. Friedman also said Laf was benched late last season and responded with a great playoffs. Perhaps Gallant is trying to push those buttons again.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is on the GM. It was either a poor draft choice or they have botched his development. Seems like a pattern with the Rangers.

On 32 thoughts Friedman was saying Gallant values consistency of effort above all from his players and Laf has struggled with that. Friedman also said Laf was benched late last season and responded with a great playoffs. Perhaps Gallant is trying to push those buttons again.

Yeah, the problem is benching only works a few times before it becomes detrimental.

Hard to totally blame the coach whe this is Lafs second coach and little has changed but I remember Gallant burying and benching a rookie Brule back when he was with Columbus so I do think he isn't the greatest development coach our there.

Seems to me Laf wasn't NHL ready and should have been in the AHL ala Cole and company in his D plus 1 year and then reassessed his D plus 2. This is also on Laf who hasn't put in the qork to improve his foot speed and consistency. His habit of floating in junior is still there and that doesn't work at the NHL level.

Have to think the Jets would claim if he went on waivers.

He's not the same player as he was for us in 18. He also now makes too much for the role he'd play here if we were to claim him.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Issues off the ice has derailed his career, to bad he would help the Jets more that the other waiver wire pickups.
I don't think you can qualify that statement. Firstly, I think our other waiver wire pickups have had a lot of positive impact on the team. They've kept guys like Toninato and Harkins out of the lineup to boot.

There is no guarantee Vrana would continue to struggle with his demons and potentially hurt the locker room chemistry.

At his price point I don't think it's shrewd to take a chance on him. If the Red Wings are waiving him that says a lot

I loved Joel Armia when he was a Jet. However, as good as he is defensively he's always struggled to put his skillset to use consistently to produce. I believe we now have better players than him that cost a lot less, I doubt we'd want to pick him up.

None

Feb 22, 2012

Tough to stay motivated and keep effort consistent when the carrot has been tossed away.

From what I understand he's struggled with his skating at the NHL level which is somewhat surprising to me given that I considered his skating a plus against his peers in junior. I wonder if his perceived skating flaws are actually effort related.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Tough to stay motivated and keep effort consistent when the carrot has been tossed away.

From what I understand he's struggled with his skating at the NHL level which is somewhat surprising to me given that I considered his skating a plus against his peers in junior. I wonder if his perceived skating flaws are actually effort related.

I think it's more so thst he doesn't keep his feet moving and glides around too much. I think his skating is fine in a vacuum but improving it to better than fine would help him create more separation.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Hard to say I wasn’t a big fan of Laf as a 1st overall at the time. I didn’t think he had any dynamic element to his game he was just nicely rounded and physically mature. I didn’t see that special element that would help him thrive in the NHL.

That being said he has been badly mismanaged and probably hasn’t done his part either. He might need a fresh start.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad