Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm in agreeance that the Rangers management has a track record of mismanaging forwards. Laf, Kakko, Kravtsov, etc. among others.

I don't think their current cap situation leaves them a ton of options in terms of trade with Laf. I think in most situations they are going to get beat up in available trade scenarios. Truthfully, it might be more advantageous to keep him and hope he can turn it around rather than selling him for pennies on the dollar.

Obviously, things need to change in NY with his current trajectory, no doubt about it, but just how I see it at this moment.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think it's more so thst he doesn't keep his feet moving and glides around too much. I think his skating is fine in a vacuum but improving it to better than fine would help him create more separation.
Hard to say I wasn’t a big fan of Laf as a 1st overall at the time. I didn’t think he had any dynamic element to his game he was just nicely rounded and physically mature. I didn’t see that special element that would help him thrive in the NHL.

I thought he played a lot like Mackinnon but without any of the explosiveness to his skating, which is to say strong on his skates but isn't going to blow past anyone without improving his first couple strides. He had the shot and power forward type of game that Mackinnon plays but just none of the breakaway speed.

That being said he has been badly mismanaged and probably hasn’t done his part either. He might need a fresh start.

Yeah, it sounds like it's irreconcilable to me. The Rangers track record with home grown forwards is not great in recent history.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
hard to pinpoint who is more at fault with Laf imo. frankly, i don't think anyone on here has enough info or details to say who has majority of the blame. Laf was a consensus 1st overall. can go through numerous rankings, or the 2020 draft thread it was rare to see him not at #1. did the org drop the ball? did the player not do what the org was saying? :dunno:

NYR wasn't a traditional 1st overall selecting team either. they were 18th in the league and had v strong lw depth in panarin, kreider and buch ahead of him. he wasnt usurping any of them, even now with buchnevich gone.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
hard to pinpoint who is more at fault with Laf imo. frankly, i don't think anyone on here has enough info or details to say who has majority of the blame. Laf was a consensus 1st overall. can go through numerous rankings, or the 2020 draft thread it was rare to see him not at #1. did the org drop the ball? did the player not do what the org was saying? :dunno:

NYR wasn't a traditional 1st overall selecting team either. they were 18th in the league and had v strong lw depth in panarin, kreider and buch ahead of him. he wasnt usurping any of them, even now with buchnevich gone.

I think Lafs biggest issue is he was a physically dominant player in a league that is easy to be physically dominant in. He was never truly elite at any one thing just a jack of all trades type of player. He could play physical, shoot decently well, had ok vision and passing and could stickhandle solidly enough. When his physical edge was removed he has struggled. He's no longer pushing his way through smaller players and because of that he hasn't really been able to adjust. Add onto that he was already kind of at his peak for his physical development.

Being picked 1st overall and being picked out of the CHL is so detrimental to some players development. It's very clear that he was to good for the Q but not quite good enough for the NHL. So in his D+1 he should have been in the AHL for probably even a season or two. But 1st overall picks are generally expected to make an impact right away and he can't go to the AHL so you end up with stuff like this.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
When a prospect doesn't live up to expectation, esp a 1st round pick, esp a top 10 pick and esp a 1st overall pick, it is almost certainly always on the player not on the org for "not developing him". I can see questioning if the org failed a prospect if the guy was 3rd round pick or lower. But these 1st round picks (and esp the top-10 guys) get such a long leash and so much benefit of doubt from the org that still wants to save face that them not working out is usually going to be on the player. We have seen that with the Jets where Ves played over 50 games with the Jets last season in the NHL when this season he wasn't even good enough for the SHL and is only OK in the Liiga.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think Lafs biggest issue is he was a physically dominant player in a league that is easy to be physically dominant in. He was never truly elite at any one thing just a jack of all trades type of player. He could play physical, shoot decently well, had ok vision and passing and could stickhandle solidly enough. When his physical edge was removed he has struggled. He's no longer pushing his way through smaller players and because of that he hasn't really been able to adjust. Add onto that he was already kind of at his peak for his physical development.

Being picked 1st overall and being picked out of the CHL is so detrimental to some players development. It's very clear that he was to good for the Q but not quite good enough for the NHL. So in his D+1 he should have been in the AHL for probably even a season or two. But 1st overall picks are generally expected to make an impact right away and he can't go to the AHL so you end up with stuff like this.
perhaps. but if that's the case, then he likely would/should not have been the 1st overall? he was the consensus pick. and probably #1 regardless if it was NYR or not. so id say the chances regarless of the teams is that he probably still would've started in the nhl.

he did score 19 goals his 2nd year, w/o pp1 time, and w/ bottom-6 mins. was actually 2nd on the team in 5v5 goals. for a 1st overall probably expect more but given the situation/role id say it's fair production. he wasn't going to be vaulted in a position like stutzle for example where ottawa had weaker C depth. you have panarin (big contract), kreider (big contract, team leader) and buchnevich (another great player) who played LW so it was going to be uphill for him to get top-6 TOI+PP1.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I think it also has something to do with environment. Some guys have all the motivation within and don't get distracted. For others, living in Manhattan as a young, rich pro athlete could derail you

Reactions: roccerfeller

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That is where teams need to be strong in their convictions and do what's best for the prospect. I get in many cases it's also a marketing Boone but the Rangers didn't need more marketing and were positioned enough to give him time to properly develop.

If it was just Laf I would put more blame on him but they can't get it right with really any forward. Kakko is in his fourth year and really only starting to look like an ok 2nd line player. Kravstov, Anderson etc are busts from the top 10. The org clearly doesn't know how to develop forwards.

Reactions: Been around

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No they would not. We have better players for much cheaper than him right now.

That ship has sailed.

This is on the GM. It was either a poor draft choice or they have botched his development. Seems like a pattern with the Rangers.

On 32 thoughts Friedman was saying Gallant values consistency of effort above all from his players and Laf has struggled with that. Friedman also said Laf was benched late last season and responded with a great playoffs. Perhaps Gallant is trying to push those buttons again.

Not every high draft pick is ready for the NHL right out of the draft.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

True that we can't pinpoint the blame with Laf, but it is also true that NYR have a poor development record, at least recently.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they could have sent him to a Euro team. That might have been a better option than the Q.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
perhaps. but if that's the case, then he likely would/should not have been the 1st overall? he was the consensus pick. and probably #1 regardless if it was NYR or not. so id say the chances regarless of the teams is that he probably still would've started in the nhl.

he did score 19 goals his 2nd year, w/o pp1 time, and w/ bottom-6 mins. was actually 2nd on the team in 5v5 goals. for a 1st overall probably expect more but given the situation/role id say it's fair production. he wasn't going to be vaulted in a position like stutzle for example where ottawa had weaker C depth. you have panarin (big contract), kreider (big contract, team leader) and buchnevich (another great player) who played LW so it was going to be uphill for him to get top-6 TOI+PP1.

1st OA usually goes to a weak team. They can fit him in wherever he is most comfortable. Rangers just missed the PO and then got lucky in the lottery. As you say, they didn't have a spot for him. Just another reason they should not have kept him in the NHL.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
They need to allow some 18 years old to go the A. I understand junior teams want them back. But for a few its what they need. That should trump junior teams wants.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think it also has something to do with environment. Some guys have all the motivation within and don't get distracted. For others, living in Manhattan as a young, rich pro athlete could derail you

Lafrenniere is the same draft year as Perfetti. A tale of two developments.

Would you do a trade straight up?

Reactions: Jet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Zero chance. Perfetti is by far the smarterst player in that class but was physically immature at the time of his draft. I am not saying Laf is a right off but at this point I am a bigger fan of Cole.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

probably not.
i wonder how each stats would like if the roles were reversed.

perfetti playing primarily bottom-6 with chytil, kakko, etc
lafrenierre playing primarily top-6 with dubois, connor, scheifele etc

also it would take far less to acquire laf at this point.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
probably not.

Laf has gotten multiple looks in the top 6 with Panerin and Z and hasn't been able to keep the spot. I think he's better than what he's show to date but he hasn't made the most of his opportunities.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laf has gotten multiple looks in the top 6 with Panerin and Z and hasn't been able to keep the spot. I think he's better than what he's show to date but he hasn't made the most of his opportunities.
OK I clearly said primarily not exclusively. Majority of the time he'd been a bottom 6er. we had an open top 6 wing spot and perfetti was clearly better than the likes of Barron, Appleton for instance

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
probably not.

We have a similar debate on our site. If we switched Ehlers and Connors usage for Maurice’s tenure what do the adjusted raw numbers look like? Usage is a huge factor, Laf clearly seems to be in the dog house in NY. How would he do in Winnipeg with Cole’s usage is a great question. Honestly, I have not watched Laf enough to speculate.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Imagine being stuck with that Nurse contract? :eek3:

Hopefully the Oilers continue to screw their team balance for all eternity

I would not. With what I've seen from both players so far, Perfetti is the more valuable player especially long term (Jets bias of course)

I wouldnt mind finding another way to scoop him though. Question is, is his development permanently stalled now?

Reactions: Been around
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad