Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But even that is flawed as if you think there is more parity in one era than another and this era has the most parity than yeah Ovi is not going to stand out as much compared to his peers. Which is a good thing, the fact that you can have the whole Crosby Ovi rivalry.
Gretz might still outscore everyone else and be the best player, but I doubt it's by 65.

There is no absolute way to compare players from different eras. Even a few years apart becomes guesswork.

In my opinion Gretzky is still the GOAT. But all any of us can have on this kind of question is our personal opinions and whatever arguments we use to justify that opinion. There is no way to certify any of those opinions as the correct one.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There is no absolute way to compare players from different eras. Even a few years apart becomes guesswork.

In my opinion Gretzky is still the GOAT. But all any of us can have on this kind of question is our personal opinions and whatever arguments we use to justify that opinion. There is no way to certify any of those opinions as the correct one.
Which we are agreed on. Only thing being debated is margin size.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
-21 ain't even that cold.

It's not like Ottawa doesn't get that sometimes too.

Haters just looking for excuses to hate on Winnipeg IMO. I mean, the bed sheets have static? Really?

Say what you will, but he's not wrong (about the Fairmont). The new TNSE complex + hotel can't come fast enough.

Can't help the weather, though. Gotta toughen up a bit if you're gonna hang in this city.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sorry, but I don't mind the visiting teams hate coming to Winnipeg. Give 'em poor wi-fi, poor rooms, thin walls, bad food, static sheets, loud doors ( well don't slam them ) , poor weather, etc.... Hell, make it like the Russians treated the Canadians in '72.

It just means we are in their heads, and they hate being here before they even step on the ice. And if the Jets play like they can, the visitors will hate it even more.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah it's Gretz followed by Lemieux, Orr and Howe for me. Only player that can possibly challenge that top 4 right now is McDavid and he's certainly putting on a good show.

Good chance he ends up with around 850 points in 556 games by the end of this season, breaking into the top 150 all time in only 8 season. Pretty good chance he hits the 1000 point range by the time he's 27 and break into the top 100 all time. By the time he's 28-29 he's likely knocking on the door of the top 50.

After this year he will likely have his ;
5th Ross - Tied for 3rd most after Gretz (10), Howe (6), Espo (5), Jagr (5)
4th Lindsay - Tied for 2nd most with Lemieux after Gretz who has 5.
3rd Hart - Tied for 4th most after Gretz (9), Howe (6) and Shore (4)

And may add his 1st Rocket which will prove that he can just will himeself to a goal scoring title if he so chooses.
He still needs to get himself at least 1 Cup and at least a Smythe to put himself into the conversation to make it a top 5. Whether he does it with the Oilers or not who knows but he's likely gotta get at least one.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Honestly who cares what a guy whose sticking power in the league was from getting tied to Erik Karlsson's hip for a few seasons thinks :dunno:

Ignoring the Winnipeg comments though, that's a grown assed man complaining about static electricity on his hotel bedsheets. It's actually hilarious how soft hockey players can be sometimes.
There’s also a shit ton of great restaurants just a couple blocks away in The Exchange :laugh:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
But in Ottawa it is a damp cold. Feels colder at -10 than Wpg at -20 - but the damp cold protects you from staticy bedsheets. :laugh:
100%.

I lived in Winnipeg from birth until 2008, in southern Ontario since then. I personally find the damp cold worse than Winnipeg cold many days. When its humid out, it doesn't matter how many layers you put on, you're cold.

Flew to Winnipeg the winter before COVID, remember stepping out of Richardson International into -40 and yeah it was cold on my face, but it was more comfortable than what I had left.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There’s also a shit ton of great restaurants just a couple blocks away in The Exchange :laugh:

Heck even if he's lazy and doesn't want to brave to cold there is a Hyes and Earls essentially attached via Winnipeg Square. There will also soon be a 529 Wellington sister type location in there as well.

I mean what type of restaurant scene do they have by their arena in the middle of nowhere right now.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think I'm at risk of veering off on a tangent, but there is so much that is different between not only the game as its played today, but also how players are developed.

Kids are on the ice almost 12 months a year now and they certainly have developed into better athletes and skaters as a whole. However, from an early age, structure and systems start to play a big role at the upper levels.

Kids back then (myself included) put their hockey stuff away in april and picked up a soccer ball or baseball bat. However, we all played countless hours of street hockey and shinny where there was zero structure - you had to learn to play creatively off the people around you. I really think that it was that creativity that brought a lot of the offense we saw back then into being.

A few summers ago a group of guys I sake with were short a goalie and a few bodies. I agreed to play goal (even though it had been a while) and then I learn that one of the guys was bringing out his kid and some of his friends (15 and 16 year olds) - all guys that had been drafted into the W, and one was a VERY high pick. I thought "great, I'm gonna get lit up by a bunch of kids".

Turns out, none of them could figure out how to play with the older guys, most of whom had played a high level of hockey themselves. They wanted to dump and chase and cycle down low in shinny. I think maybe one kid put one past me. Take away their systems and they were lost
That's really interesting. Down here in Florida, it's the opposite. When I play with that age group it's all about puck hogging, dangling and shooting. The hockey iq, anticipation and team play is really lacking

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah it's Gretz followed by Lemieux, Orr and Howe for me. Only player that can possibly challenge that top 4 right now is McDavid and he's certainly putting on a good show.

Good chance he ends up with around 850 points in 556 games by the end of this season, breaking into the top 150 all time in only 8 season. Pretty good chance he hits the 1000 point range by the time he's 27 and break into the top 100 all time. By the time he's 28-29 he's likely knocking on the door of the top 50.

After this year he will likely have his ;
5th Ross - Tied for 3rd most after Gretz (10), Howe (6), Espo (5), Jagr (5)
4th Lindsay - Tied for 2nd most with Lemieux after Gretz who has 5.
3rd Hart - Tied for 4th most after Gretz (9), Howe (6) and Shore (4)

And may add his 1st Rocket which will prove that he can just will himeself to a goal scoring title if he so chooses.
He still needs to get himself at least 1 Cup and at least a Smythe to put himself into the conversation to make it a top 5. Whether he does it with the Oilers or not who knows but he's likely gotta get at least one.

The only thing that keeps Lemieux and Orr out of the list of the very top is longevity. Peak Lindros would have got to the list too if not for health issues.

It will be interesting to see how McDavid's career goes with the Oil. Will they ever build a team around him? Or will they trade him to an organization that can? What team could pay the price to get him and still have enough left to do the building?

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Size of goalies
Size of equipment
Weight of equipment
Massive change in total. Need bigger nets to compensate. Or how about if it hits pipe it is a goal? :sarcasm::laugh:
You could change the shape of the posts to favor the puck going in.

To be clear I'm not in favor of any changes to the nets.

Better reffing would solve a lot of problems

Been around

Jul 16, 2022
572.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Heck even if he's lazy and doesn't want to brave to cold there is a Hyes and Earls essentially attached via Winnipeg Square. There will also soon be a 529 Wellington sister type location in there as well.

I mean what type of restaurant scene do they have by their arena in the middle of nowhere right now.

Kanata? I'm sure there must be a Canadian Tire nearby so there will be a Tim's on the parking lot. :laugh:

Reactions: surixon

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's really interesting. Down here in Florida, it's the opposite. When I play with that age group it's all about puck hogging, dangling and shooting. The hockey iq, anticipation and team play is really lacking

I think a lot of that philosophy is really evident where there is less of a really established hockey pathway.

In Canada if you are good you are usually ushered into the good teams where they really try to develop you early for a path to high end amateur hockey like the WHL or NCAA. Wheras in somewhere like Florida where there is probably less of a push at an early age like that you probably see more kids developing the sick dangles mentality.

Look at guys like Kane, Zegras, DeBrincat, Caufield, Kessel, Gaudreau, Matthews, Eichel. There's a lot more of a puck handling/shooting/creativity mentality among those players. Though there are Canadian players that have insane levels of creativity as well like what McDavid can do with a puck at the speeds he does it are pretty much unmatched in the game ever really. Heck even MacK has some insane ability to handle the puck at high speed. Or Marner who has some insanely creative handles and ability to create space for his linemates. Plus you still have very high end shooters like Stammer and Tavares. Plus anyone saying Canadian players aren't highly creative has obviously never watched Crosby dish passes in his prime. Plus the dude arguably has one of the greatest backhands ever seen.

The development angle of Canadian players to be more defensively sound is what creates guys like Toews, ROR, Bergeron and Stone.

In reality there is a very wide variety of players that come through the Canadian systems. Highly intelligent creative players aren't exclusive to the old generation. Some of the things these kids can do today, if done in the 80's would be talked about for decades. If someone pulled off a Michigan or between the legs goal in 1985 they'd probably be immortalized. Now it's a routine play 10 year olds try on the local ODR.

Reactions: Buffdog and Jet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You could change the shape of the posts to favor the puck going in.

To be clear I'm not in favor of any changes to the nets.

Better reffing would solve a lot of problems

I was in favour of bigger nets a couple of years ago. The adjustments to goalie equipment they made seems to have helped.

I certainly understand the argument for keeping the nets consistent with the past, but even ignoring the massive size of the average goalie these days, I think the size and weight of goalie equipment would justify a small change to net size.

As I recall, weight used to be a real consideration. Goalies had to balance increased size of pads against the increased weight of leather stuffed with horse hair. Too much weight affected their agility.

Then factor in 5'9 goalies vs 6'4 goalies and the space to shoot at is a lot smaller than it used to be.

I don't see a change to net size on the horizon though. It is a pretty big step. Scoring is up without that so the push for change has gone away.

Edit: Better reffing would help a lot of things. Reffing is tough, but some flaws seem to be built in, like game management.

Reactions: Jet

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only thing that keeps Lemieux and Orr out of the list of the very top is longevity. Peak Lindros would have got to the list too if not for health issues.

It will be interesting to see how McDavid's career goes with the Oil. Will they ever build a team around him? Or will they trade him to an organization that can? What team could pay the price to get him and still have enough left to do the building?

I think the fact that we saw Sid and Geno get it done means that it's possible to build a team around two players commanding a healthy amount of the cap.

Sid and Geno combined for 29.27% of the cap when they signed,
McDavid and Drai are combined for 28% of the cap when they signed.

What has really put a wrench in McDavid's chances there is the fact that cap stagnated due to covid. The team is terrible at drafting and they were horribly mismanaged by bad signings and bad trades because they hired a bunch of idiots to run the show.

The Oilers will never trade McDavid I don't think unless he just refuses to re-sign in 2026 and they ship him at the deadline hoping to recoup some assets. But all in all I think if he doesn't get it done there or at least sniff the finals by 2026 he's likely as good as gone and he'll try his luck somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad