Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Friedman and Marek had Trottier on their podcast for an interview recently and I really enjoyed listening to it. Lots of talk about that great Islander team who won 19 consecutive playoff series.

Think about that crazy stat.

Worth a listen if you get a chance. I was not an islander fan either but boy was that team special.
The Leafs beating the Isles in a 7 game series in 1978, with Lanny Mc Donald the OT hero, and the Rangers upsetting the Isles in 1979, probably preempted their rise to a dynasty status. Similar to the Oilers losing in 1982 to the Kings. To quote Steven Tyler "you have to lose to know how to win." I think the Isles streak could have been easily broken in 1982, I watched the game 5 between them and Pittsburgh recently, and with the Pens up by 2 late in the game, and the Isles on the PP, Arbour, without a timeout, changes goalies, which gives them some warmup time, and time for his star players to rest, and score a big goal that eventually turned the tide. Billy Smith comes back out after the goal. I think this move created a rule change subsequently. But Arbour was a big part of that dynasty. And the Isles had a foundation around Trottier, Bossy and Potvin, that they kept building on, with some of the best role players in the game, guys like Gillies, Butch Goring, John Tonelli, Nystrom, Brent Sutter, Bob Bourne, Greg Gilbert.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bloos vs flams tonight

Kadri should give big nose his water bottle back
I watched the 3rd period of that game and the Blues sure capitalized on poor defensive play from the Flames. They made a good roster change putting Schenn between Tarasenko and Bushnevich, which allowed them to put Thomas and Kyrou back together and have a 3rd line with O'Reilly and Saad. That's a legitimate 3 line team, with a good top 4 defense, but terrible goaltending (Greiss was good enough last night).

I've been keeping an eye on the standings, and Minnesota is starting to rise to the top 3 in the Central, getting healthier, Colorado has to have an eye now on who is behind them. Blues played the Avs recently, and lost a 2-1 lead in the final 3 seconds, to lose in OT, but on paper the team without goaltending might be better than the team without any forward depth. I wonder if that pushes a panic button for Sakic where he might need to make a move to stay ahead in the WC race. For the Blues they still have 2 big impending UFAs in Tarasenko and O'Reilly and if they are not able to get into a safe WC spot, I wonder if they trade those guys, like they did with Stastny when they were still in the race, but on the edge of missing out.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Leafs beating the Isles in a 7 game series in 1978, with Lanny Mc Donald the OT hero, and the Rangers upsetting the Isles in 1979, probably preempted their rise to a dynasty status. Similar to the Oilers losing in 1982 to the Kings. To quote Steven Tyler "you have to lose to know how to win." I think the Isles streak could have been easily broken in 1982, I watched the game 5 between them and Pittsburgh recently, and with the Pens up by 2 late in the game, and the Isles on the PP, Arbour, without a timeout, changes goalies, which gives them some warmup time, and time for his star players to rest, and score a big goal that eventually turned the tide. Billy Smith comes back out after the goal. I think this move created a rule change subsequently. But Arbour was a big part of that dynasty. And the Isles had a foundation around Trottier, Bossy and Potvin, that they kept building on, with some of the best role players in the game, guys like Gillies, Butch Goring, Nystrom, Brent Sutter, Bob Bourne, Greg Gilbert.

Trottier talked about both those things and how losing to the Leafs was so painful and they needed it to kind of learn to lose to drive them. He aso talked about that Pens series and the fact the Pens hit the post in OT too so it wasn’t all smooth sailing.

Bill Torry and Al Arbour were the perfect 1-2 punch to build up that dynasty.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Calgary has some big problems, sure seemed like they were double shifting Lucic in the third yesterday after canning him for three games, and Weeger isn't that great of a D man. Saw 3 guys on SN during a Flames intermission a month back calling Markstrom the second best goalie in the league, he's not even on the top 10.
Markstrom looked average at best, he is nowhere near where he was last year midseason.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not to be argumentative, but maybe the lower save percentage in the 80s was due to better shooters. The guys who are scoring get a say too

I don't think there was just suddenly a massive explosion of guys that could put the puck in the net better than anyone.

What I find interesting watching games from then and now is the goaltending talent and the way they approached the shots. Shots that would have been routine saves for goaltenders in today's game would go in the net rather easily in that era. We absolutely roast our goalies for not making those kinds of saves.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The Leafs beating the Isles in a 7 game series in 1978, with Lanny Mc Donald the OT hero, and the Rangers upsetting the Isles in 1979, probably preempted their rise to a dynasty status. Similar to the Oilers losing in 1982 to the Kings. To quote Steven Tyler "you have to lose to know how to win." I think the Isles streak could have been easily broken in 1982, I watched the game 5 between them and Pittsburgh recently, and with the Pens up by 2 late in the game, and the Isles on the PP, Arbour, without a timeout, changes goalies, which gives them some warmup time, and time for his star players to rest, and score a big goal that eventually turned the tide. Billy Smith comes back out after the goal. I think this move created a rule change subsequently. But Arbour was a big part of that dynasty. And the Isles had a foundation around Trottier, Bossy and Potvin, that they kept building on, with some of the best role players in the game, guys like Gillies, Butch Goring, John Tonelli, Nystrom, Brent Sutter, Bob Bourne, Greg Gilbert.
They also offered some of those players (5 in tota) to the Oilers for Glen Anderson & Messier before they became big.

Reactions: WolfHouse

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Leafs beating the Isles in a 7 game series in 1978, with Lanny Mc Donald the OT hero, and the Rangers upsetting the Isles in 1979, probably preempted their rise to a dynasty status.
The dynasty in Montreal might have had something to say about that...

Reactions: voyageur

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't think there was just suddenly a massive explosion of guys that could put the puck in the net better than anyone.

What I find interesting watching games from then and now is the goaltending talent and the way they approached the shots. Shots that would have been routine saves for goaltenders in today's game would go in the net rather easily in that era. We absolutely roast our goalies for not making those kinds of saves.
I think I'm at risk of veering off on a tangent, but there is so much that is different between not only the game as its played today, but also how players are developed.

Kids are on the ice almost 12 months a year now and they certainly have developed into better athletes and skaters as a whole. However, from an early age, structure and systems start to play a big role at the upper levels.

Kids back then (myself included) put their hockey stuff away in april and picked up a soccer ball or baseball bat. However, we all played countless hours of street hockey and shinny where there was zero structure - you had to learn to play creatively off the people around you. I really think that it was that creativity that brought a lot of the offense we saw back then into being.

A few summers ago a group of guys I sake with were short a goalie and a few bodies. I agreed to play goal (even though it had been a while) and then I learn that one of the guys was bringing out his kid and some of his friends (15 and 16 year olds) - all guys that had been drafted into the W, and one was a VERY high pick. I thought "great, I'm gonna get lit up by a bunch of kids".

Turns out, none of them could figure out how to play with the older guys, most of whom had played a high level of hockey themselves. They wanted to dump and chase and cycle down low in shinny. I think maybe one kid put one past me. Take away their systems and they were lost

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think I'm at risk of veering off on a tangent, but there is so much that is different between not only the game as its played today, but also how players are developed.

Kids are on the ice almost 12 months a year now and they certainly have developed into better athletes and skaters as a whole. However, from an early age, structure and systems start to play a big role at the upper levels.

Kids back then (myself included) put their hockey stuff away in april and picked up a soccer ball or baseball bat. However, we all played countless hours of street hockey and shinny where there was zero structure - you had to learn to play creatively off the people around you. I really think that it was that creativity that brought a lot of the offense we saw back then into being.

A few summers ago a group of guys I sake with were short a goalie and a few bodies. I agreed to play goal (even though it had been a while) and then I learn that one of the guys was bringing out his kid and some of his friends (15 and 16 year olds) - all guys that had been drafted into the W, and one was a VERY high pick. I thought "great, I'm gonna get lit up by a bunch of kids".

Turns out, none of them could figure out how to play with the older guys, most of whom had played a high level of hockey themselves. They wanted to dump and chase and cycle down low in shinny. I think maybe one kid put one past me. Take away their systems and they were lost
Did you play at a high level?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Parade back on hold

1475149334-familyguy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad