Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
blues take a penalty down 1 with a min left edmonton still can't close out the game and are now tied 3-3

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Man south-Florida fans are a completely different breed. From their reddit:

wtf.png

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
I’ve seen the face off back in the Jets end down a man many times when Wheezer has iced the puck on an EN atempt and lighten up!
You've seen him. Many times! Of course you have.

Players are given the green light if they have a good look. Either way that's not cheating or floating evident by how he keeps getting the responsibility. I won't and shouldn't have to explain the difference. Smarten up.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yes, a beast, a horse and quite probably the greatest pure goal-scorer of all time. Not the greatest player though.

I don't follow other teams enough ... what about Ovie makes him not a great player? I know of the infamous "controller disconnected" GIF, but I wasn't under the impression that he was THAT one-dimensional. He seems to be decent at passing based on stats (I don't think you get over 600 assists if you can't pass). Someone posted an image suggesting he has a ton of hits too (I know many say that's a worthless stat but again it's something he's capable of). Seems like he's at least decent at aspects of the game other than scoring?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I don't follow other teams enough ... what about Ovie makes him not a great player? I know of the infamous "controller disconnected" GIF, but I wasn't under the impression that he was THAT one-dimensional. He seems to be decent at passing based on stats (I don't think you get over 600 assists if you can't pass). Someone posted an image suggesting he has a ton of hits too (I know many say that's a worthless stat but again it's something he's capable of). Seems like he's at least decent at aspects of the game other than scoring?

He just said Ovi isn't the greatest player. Gretzky is the greatest player, followed by a few other guys like Lemieux, McDavid etc. Ovi is a great player, clearly. One of the best of his generation.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
He just said Ovi isn't the greatest player. Gretzky is the greatest player, followed by a few other guys like Lemieux, McDavid etc. Ovi is a great player, clearly. One of the best of his generation.
Ok ... I see the point now. I was taking "not the greatest" as a suggestion that he wasn't good (a way people often say it). But of course I should have considered the context of who the GOAT is.

Personally I've always been partial to Lemieux as the best ... imagine if he hadn't had cancer. Maybe it's bias/nostalgia because Gretz was already past his best before date by the time I started watching hockey whereas Mario was in his prime.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well the 800 goals only includes regular season totals, and given he's played less than 18 full seasons (and we're in the 18th season now so its not even finished yet) I'd say that's even more impressive than what you're trying to paint it as, given a season is 82 games anyway.

I'm not painting anything. Just a little more precise language. He has averaged a 50 G per 82 game season pace. Gretzky averaged 49.3 per 82 games, BTW.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Bossy was a sensational goal scorer to watch play but sadly injuries shortened his career.

He was an amazing scorer in his pomp -- and could pass the puck pretty well also.

Seems to be experiencing a revival in his reputation as more than a goalmouth poacher, deservedly so.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I didn't say not a great player. I said not the greatest player. He is not even close to Gretzky in total points, just for one. I'm sure he will make the HHOF. But he won't have a new wing added to it just for him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ok ... I see the point now. I was taking "not the greatest" as a suggestion that he wasn't good (a way people often say it). But of course I should have considered the context of who the GOAT is.

Personally I've always been partial to Lemieux as the best ... imagine if he hadn't had cancer. Maybe it's bias/nostalgia because Gretz was already past his best before date by the time I started watching hockey whereas Mario was in his prime.

IIRC Lemieux had other, lesser health issues that affected his totals too. Would have been interesting to see if he had managed to play as many games as Gretzky.

There are others who also had health issues affect their careers. Bossy has been mentioned several times. What about Bobby Orr's knees?

Reactions: RabidOne

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
IIRC Lemieux had other, lesser health issues that affected his totals too. Would have been interesting to see if he had managed to play as many games as Gretzky.

There are others who also had health issues affect their careers. Bossy has been mentioned several times. What about Bobby Orr's knees?
Lemieux and Gretzky didn’t play in the salary cap era. There were truly some awful teams and absolute power houses back in the 80s.

Bouncy bouncy goalies was standard with tiny pads. . Lots of rebounds and the 5 hole was a 50 hole back in the day.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lemieux and Gretzky didn’t play in the salary cap era. There were truly some awful teams and absolute power houses back in the 80s.

Bouncy bouncy goalies was standard with tiny pads. . Lots of rebounds and the 5 hole was a 50 hole back in the day.

Lemieux had most of his best goal scoring totals in the early to mid 90's and paced 60 plus goals in the DPE after being away from the game for 3 full years.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The annoying thing about Gretz is no one will ever break his records or be as good. It kind of ruins the record books as I think it’s exciting in other sports where every record is up for grabs every year.
With Gretz it’s like no matter how good players play they don’t have a shot so it’s kind of same old.

All athletes deal with injuries it’s same old. How good would Karlsson been without injuries. Few players ever make it their whole careers without injuries slowing them down, which could be a issue with Eels.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Lemieux had most of his best goal scoring totals in the early to mid 90's and paced 60 plus goals in the DPE after being away from the game for 3 full years.
So you are saying he was well rested?

I live in south florida. It is absolutely crazy town down here.
Would this be a standard Florida headline

“Jets fan in Florida accidentally crashes airplane”

• Haha
Reactions: JetsFan815

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
wonder if one of helle or sorokin will sneak into the top-3 for hart candidates this year? lots of season left of course. i think the top-2 is some combo of mcdavid and robertson. i don't think there's a clear-cut #3. i believe since Price won the Hart only Bobrovsky and Shesterkin have been Hart finalists as a goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad