Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I challenge anyone to watch this and tell me Ovi isn't one of if not the greatest goalscorer you've ever seen.

This man has averaged 50 goals a season from the age of 20 to the age of 37. He has more goals past the age of 30 than anyone ever. If you are a goalie that has spent a good amount of time in this league while he's been in it. He's probably beat you clean with a pure slapper, pure wrist shot and a one timer from the left circle.

mondena

Aug 2, 2011
Cape Town
For the greatest goal scorer ever debate, obviously total goals is a factor, but the other key qualification in my mind is how many times they won the league goal scoring title, as that takes away the question of era. They were the best goal scorer that year compared to peers who had the same rules/systems/goalies as them. Ovie has lead the league in goals half the years he has played, 9 times!

Ovie - 9
Hull - 7
Esposito - 6
Richard/Howe/Gretz - 5
Hull/Mario/Bure/Selanne - 3

That's it, very few have ever lead the league even 3 times and puts into perspective how incredible 9 is.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For the greatest goal scorer ever debate, obviously total goals is a factor, but the other key qualification in my mind is how many times they won the league goal scoring title, as that takes away the question of era. They were the best goal scorer that year compared to peers who had the same rules/systems/goalies as them. Ovie has lead the league in goals half the years he has played, 9 times!

Ovie - 9
Hull - 7
Esposito - 6
Richard/Howe/Gretz - 5

That's it, very few have ever lead the league even 3 times and puts into perspective how incredible 9 is.

Yeah it's an insane feat that no other player can really claim.

Not only has he lead the league in goals 9 times.

He has other finishes of;

2 - 2nd place finishes
10 - Top 3 finishes
14 - Top 5 finishes

And is currently on pace for another top 5 finish.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Ovie - 9
Hull - 7
Esposito - 6
Richard/Howe/Gretz - 5

I'm sorry but it just means that there were other great goal scorers in those eras... it doesn't prove much

Richard missed scoring titles because it was outright warfare on the ice... same with Esposito

Last edited:

mondena

Aug 2, 2011
Cape Town
In the best league in the world, in an era with greater parity both with teams and players, to be able to finish first 9 times is stunning. To suggest Ovie has had easier competition to win the Rocket as there were less skilled players over an 18 year career in that league is quite the take!

Reactions: Aggie204

mondena

Aug 2, 2011
Cape Town
Ovie last won the scoring race in 2018-19. Just that year he beat McDavid, Crosby, Stamkos, Kuch, Mackinnon and Kane, all easy future hall of famers. And you could say yeah but McDavid was too young, he was 22. Ovie won it at 22. Or Crosby was too old, he was 32, Ovie won it older than that. He has consistently beat hall of famers, even generational talent in goal scoring. I would never say he is a better overall player than all these guys, but as a pure goal scorer he is has been the best for 18 years.

I'm not even an Ovie fan, but he simply has a strong case for greatest goal scorer ever.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm just saying that rocket scored goals while fighting and having fkn hockey sticks cracked over his head (and vice versa) - the way he transformed hockey is a case in itself....

Anyway they're all good and best od luck to ovie

Reactions: mondena

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ovie last won the scoring race in 2018-19. Just that year he beat McDavid, Crosby, Stamkos, Kuch, Mackinnon and Kane, all easy future hall of famers. And you could say yeah but McDavid was too young, he was 22. Ovie won it at 22. Or Crosby was too old, he was 32, Ovie won it older than that. He has consistently beat hall of famers, even generational talent in goal scoring. I would never say he is a better overall player than all these guys, but as a pure goal scorer he is has been the best for 18 years.

I'm not even an Ovie fan, but he simply has a strong case for greatest goal scorer ever.

I mean Crosby, Kane, McDavid are all pass first playmakers. Sure they can also score but beating them in goals isn't the big deal you are making it out to be. All of them have destroyed Ovie in total point totals in that interval.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
I don't understand the belittling of Wheeler for empty net goals. Do people think it's funny or clever? Do posters bring it up to try and fit in around here? He never floats or cheats with the empty net available. Should he dump the puck in the corner instead? Or when his name is called just say no and stay on the bench?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don't understand the belittling of Wheeler for empty net goals. Do people think it's funny or clever? Do posters bring it up to try and fit in around here? He never floats or cheats with the empty net available. Should he dump the puck in the corner instead? Or when his name is called just say no and stay on the bench?
I’ve seen the face off back in the Jets end down a man many times when Wheezer has iced the puck on an EN attempt and lighten up!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I challenge anyone to watch this and tell me Ovi isn't one of if not the greatest goalscorer you've ever seen.

This man has averaged 50 goals a season from the age of 20 to the age of 37. He has more goals past the age of 30 than anyone ever. If you are a goalie that has spent a good amount of time in this league while he's been in it. He's probably beat you clean with a pure slapper, pure wrist shot and a one timer from the left circle.

watching these vs some of the 80s. sheesh.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He's definitely one of the greatest. I just put a Lemieux ahead. Had he been healthy and not missed 3 years due to cancer in his peak I don't think we are having a conversation about the goal record right now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I mean Crosby, Kane, McDavid are all pass first playmakers. Sure they can also score but beating them in goals isn't the big deal you are making it out to be. All of them have destroyed Ovie in total point totals in that interval.
Lmao Wow. if beating out mcdavid, sid or kane in goals over the years isn't considered good than what is?

Reactions: Aggie204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lmao Wow. if beating out mcdavid, sid or kane in goals over the years isn't considered good than what is?

Who said it isn't good. It's not some all world feat though given all three of them are predomantly playmakers. Compare him to goal scorer first players like Stamkos, Mathews, to a less extent Draisitel.

Juat because those players are going to the HOF doesn't mean their major contribution was individual goal totals.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Crosby is having himself quite the season, he has passed Ovie on the All time scoring list this year, and if he keeps up his pace he will finish top 10 in All time scoring behind Mario. Ovechkin is going to be painful to watch for the next 3 years, I mean last year he was already hanging out at the opposing blue line for many of his shifts. The two line pass would have negated him in the 80s and 90s. But he's strong enough that he can get the record based on PP and EN goals if he keeps going. And the other components of Washington's PP stay healthy enough. With one more extra year on his contract than Crosby he may even end up finishing ahead of him in all time scoring.

NHL needs marketable players, and Ovie has been one of those. He's managed to put his friendship with Putin on the backburner of issues, while the Gretzky record becomes the primary focus. He's the best pure shooter in the NHL since Brett Hull, in my opinion.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Who said it isn't good. It's not some all world feat though given all three of them are predomantly playmakers. Compare him to goal scorer first players like Stamkos, Mathews, to a less extent Draisitel.

Juat because those players are going to the HOF doesn't mean their major contribution was individual goal totals.
you said it's no big deal beating mcdavid in goals.

i guess it's breaking news to you.... mcdavid is 4th in the league in Goals scored since he entered the league. he's not a middling goal scorer. beating the 4th best person in a group of 100s of players isn't a big deal? really now.

ovie is also ahead of both matthews and drai since they entered the league, but matthews has better goal per game.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
you said it's no big deal beating mcdavid in goals.

i guess it's breaking news to you.... mcdavid is 4th in the league in Goals scored since he entered the league. he's not a middling goal scorer. beating the 4th best person in a group of 100s of players isn't a big deal? really now.

ovie is also ahead of matthews since he entered the league (but matthews has better goal per game), as well as drai.

I said it's not "the big deal you make it out to be" not that it isn't good or is not a big deal.

And no I don't think k it is some amazing feat for a player who's only trying to score goals and has for years been deployed to only score goals beating out a player that was looking to create for his teammates first and score goals second as was the case of everyone on the list that the poster provided.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Didn’t Ovi lose at least one full year because of the lockout in ‘04? Otherwise he would’ve been over here as a teenager. He also lost time to another lockout and Covid. I’m sure he’d be over 850 at least by now if it wasn’t for those either.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I said it's not "the big deal you make it out to be" not that it isn't good or is not a big deal.

and you later minimized mcdavids goal-scoring by labeling it not an all-world feat when in fact he's top 4 in the nhl since that time-frame. mcadvid's better than stamkos too (in totals and per game) who you mentioned as some adept comparison to ovie . beating out the 4th best person in a group of 100s idk what level of "big deal" that's supposed to be, but that put you in the elite category for sure.

Didn’t Ovi lose at least one full year because of the lockout in ‘04? Otherwise he would’ve been over here as a teenager. He also lost time to another lockout and Covid. I’m sure he’d be over 850 at least by now if it wasn’t for those either.
he lost a full-season, then shortened 12-13. but early 90s missed games b/c of labor disputes too

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yep but he can be thankful playing in the post lockout era, that he didn't have a stick around his waist every time he was trying to skate up the ice like Gretz, Mario, and Jagr. For Gretzky and Mario the style of play in the 80s and 90s shortened their careers. Gordie on the other hand was so tough and respected that no one played him tight at the end of his career. And if his WHA stats counted Ovie would have no chance of catching him.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

So did guys like Lemieix and Gretzky. Ovie missing time due to work stoppages isn't something that just impacted him alone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
and you later minimized mcdavids goal-scoring by labeling it not an all-world feat when in fact he's top 4 in the nhl since that time-frame. mcadvid's better than stamkos too (in totals and per game) who you mentioned as some adept comparison to ovie . beating out the 4th best person in a group of 100s idk what level of "big deal" that's supposed to be, but that put you in the elite category for sure.

he lost a full-season, then shortened 12-13. but early 90s missed games b/c of labor disputes too

Yeah it's impressive for him to be top 4 despite only trying to be an elite goal scorer the past few years. Anyhow you aren't really getting where I'm coming from and I'm not going to convince anyone so I'm bowing out of this Ovie debate now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
biggest diff with the 80s is the goaltending in my eyes that someone who did not grow up in the 80s.

when the league average for the decade is in the low 870s and the shot-volume per game is not hugely different vs now, it's like facing worse than Rittich almost each night on average :laugh: then some of the defense being played was absolutely brutal. idk i find 80s hockey unwatchable for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad