Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah now that Cole is graduated I don't see a prospect in our pool thay looks like a good bet to be a top pairing or top line player.

I just hope we get a couple top 6 players and a top 4 dmen from our last 4 drafts. Still think Heinola gets there and I have a good feeling about Rashevsky but other than that it's either too soon to say or the players Lucious have been slow ro develop.
What about Mcgroaty?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I was being sarcastic. The hype was over the top. He could turn out to be a fine player. They are mostly a crapshoot these picks.
typical prospect overhype. folks were claiming he'd be a shoe-in for the roster this year, or just as good / better than ehlers. funny how b/c you dont share the same infatuation you get called out.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
95 more.

95 more goals and he is bar-none the greatest goalscorer to ever live. He's already there in my books.

800 goals over 18 seasons.

That's an average of 50 goals every season of his career. Absolutely remarkable.
I like ovechkin but it's hard to say that... it's so easy to be a goal scorers now that at any time in hockey - way less hitting or clutch and grab etc.. still a great achievement even if he's a cherry picker now

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I like ovechkin but it's hard to say that... it's so easy to be a goal scorers now that at any time in hockey - way less hitting or clutch and grab etc.. still a great achievement even if he's a cherry picker now

He also played through one of the lowest scoring eras in league history. So any arguments that it's easier to score during any point in his career are just flat out wrong. Otherwise there would be a lineup of other players from his era pushing 800 goals and there isn't. There is one.

The dude is 37 years old and he is currently 4th in league scoring. That is a remarkable feat for a cherry picker.

Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer this league has ever seen and soon there will be no arguments left when he passes Gretz for the title.

Ovechkin is a beast and would dominate in any era. Dude's a horse.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
95 more.

95 more goals and he is bar-none the greatest goalscorer to ever live. He's already there in my books.

That's an average of 50 goals every season of his career. Absolutely remarkable.
The only thing that stop him is a major injury and he just doesn't get injured or miss games unless there is an all star game involved :naughty:

Reactions: kanadalainen

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
He also played through one of the lowest scoring eras in league history. So any arguments that it's easier to score during any point in his career are just flat out wrong. Otherwise there would be a lineup of other players from his era pushing 800 goals and there isn't. There is one.

The dude is 37 years old and he is currently 4th in league scoring. That is a remarkable feat for a cherry picker.

Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer this league has ever seen and soon there will be no arguments left when he passes Gretz for the title.

Ovechkin is a beast and would dominate in any era. Dude's a horse.
Actually Mr Hockey's era was a bit lower scoring. But I agree he'd thrive anywhere anytime.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
95 more.

incredible

he has 3 years left after this one. let's say he finishes this year around 830 (he's on pace for 52).

3 more years left on his contract at roughly 40-50ish more per.... that's around 950-980 at the age of 41. could he play a couple years to finish off 1000? scoring has also been going up it seems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ilya Samsonov (former Capital lol) w/ b2b SOs in games..... the ducks only have 1 regulation win this season, jeez. the much debated /maligned goalie duo for the Leafs are both in the top-5 for SV%, while missing some significant pieces on the back-end.

1671030884290.png

Reactions: Luc Labelle

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So the cap may only increase by $1M next season as league revenue flat.

This tidbit also interesting (and shows why the NHL manages games despite what some think)

"Another factor is the Stanley Cup playoffs. According to deputy commissioner Bill Daly, the league's revenue could greatly be impacted with the right franchises in the postseason and making deep runs. "Who's in the playoff and what are they generating?" he said."
ESPN

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
It would be incredible if he managed to stick around long enough to hit 1000 goals. Wonder if the league would give him a gold stick or something to commemorate it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Actually Mr Hockey's era was a bit lower scoring. But I agree he'd thrive anywhere anytime.

Yeah haha that's why I said one of.

Gretz has the peak.
Howe has the longevity.
Ovechkin has the plateau.

incredible

he has 3 years left after this one. let's say he finishes this year around 830 (he's on pace for 52).

3 more years left on his contract at roughly 40-50ish more per.... that's around 950-980 at the age of 41. could he play a couple years to finish off 1000? scoring has also been going up it seems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ilya Samsonov (former Capital lol) w/ b2b SOs in games..... the ducks only have 1 regulation win this season, jeez. the much debated /maligned goalie duo for the Leafs are both in the top-5 for SV%, while missing some significant pieces on the back-end.

View attachment 621469

He did say in an interview a few years ago that he wants to get to 895 and then just walk down the tunnel and head home to Russia. Not sure how serious he is with that statement but it would make for a great moment.

Reactions: WaveRaven

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

This tidbit also interesting (and shows why the NHL manages games despite what some think)

"Another factor is the Stanley Cup playoffs. According to deputy commissioner Bill Daly, the league's revenue could greatly be impacted with the right franchises in the postseason and making deep runs. "Who's in the playoff and what are they generating?" he said."
ESPN

Translated this means.

We want LA vs. Toronto final.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

ESPN
There you go...

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

ESPN

This, to me, explains what I've suspected for a long time: the refs have been given instructions to make more favourable calls to certain teams. Must maximize playoff revenue by having the right combination of teams get in.

This could also be why the refs put away their whistles in the playoffs most of the time.

Imagine the shitstorm if the right investigative journalist starts digging!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This, to me, explains what I've suspected for a long time: the refs have been given instructions to make more favourable calls to certain teams. Must maximize playoff revenue by having the right combination of teams get in.

This could also be why the refs put away their whistles in the playoffs most of the time.

I mean we have audio evidence of an on ice official basically stating that they just make shit up whenever they feel like it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Yup, Jets had their run in 2018, the NHL will do everything in its power to make sure that never happens again!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup, Jets had their run in 2018, the NHL will do everything in its power to make sure that never happens again!

The thing is the Canadian market as a whole has shown that they will watch the SCF no matter whose in it as long as the teams are exciting. But the American markets don't care unless it's their local markets team. The NHL just wants to maximize their returns and the best way to do that is to have a big market american team and an exciting team of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad