Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
McDavid probably has many steps to lose before he becomes even nhl average at speed. The thing that puts McDavids speed and agility over everyone is his puck handling/skills, and decision making at those speeds and elusive skating. Ppl talking about his IQ not being strong are full of it. I don't think he's going to lose high end decision making or IQ just bc he's older or slower. There's players in their mid 30s that are nearly ppg players (Pavelski, wheeler for instance), and I think McDavid's physical abilities, along with finish, and offensive IQ ahead of both at a similar age. Injuries of course plays a big part of every players longevity. I also beleive he's the type to not rest on his laurels and improve his game and id say he already aha.

Yeah I see very little chance of him falling off a cliff without a major injury being the reason. Anyone who thinks McDavid doesn't think the game at the level of Sid is obviously not watching the dude work. Sure his speed allows him to just outpace everyone on the ice but even when he slows the game down he can pick apart defenders.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah I see very little chance of him falling off a cliff without a major injury being the reason. Anyone who thinks McDavid doesn't think the game at the level of Sid is obviously not watching the dude work. Sure his speed allows him to just outpace everyone on the ice but even when he slows the game down he can pick apart defenders.
Also possible he doesn’t appear as smart as Crosby because he doesn’t have to think the game nearly as high because he’s just so much faster.

Like I said, his IQ is still insane and it’s incredible his brain can keep up with his speed. Even if he slows down a bit as he gets older, his smarts are still enough to keep him well-above PPG. I still think Crosby is much smarter but a lot of that might have come with experience as I don’t know if mid-20s Crosby thought the game as well as he does now. McDavid could easily just make the switch so his game is based more around IQ should his tools start to falter.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed.
His rush goals, stick handling etc just make the highlight reel. His shot seems to have improved from work he's been putting in over the years. Shitting on his IQ is super nit picky imo. There's examples of players producing highly in their mid 30s who I'd consider inferior offensive talents than him including in IQ. I think Sid has higher IQ notably in his own end, but that came over time. He wasn't really renowned for defensive play until his 30's. Offensively, :dunno: who knows. IQ in general is hard to quantify.... All I know is McDavid isn't dumb in hockey, and you don't need Crosby level IQ to be a strong scorer in your 30's.

As Dax mentionned above, it seems like USA Hockey may be pulling ahead with regards to producing creative, offensively minded players. Even Crosby was once labeled "the most skilled gender in NHL history".

It's also interesting to note that they went to smaller areas for the younger kids before we did. I was on a minor hockey board when the change to half ice for novice came into effect and it was nuts to see the opposition to it. As a result, kids get more puck touches and and develop better puck protection and evasion skills because there's more close contact.

I think having Fleury helped the Pens a ton too. Edmonton goalies barely tread water at their best
From what I understand USNTDP /US hockey loves their offensive creativity and really embrace rovers.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I haven’t checked on it for a while, but I didn’t realize how poorly the Kotkaniemi RFA steal is working out for Carolina. Seven points in 31 games while making $4.82 for the next seven seasons after this one. Yes, he’s only 22. Yes, he could get better. But still, yikes, man.
Even if he never gets another goal that move still gets points for style

Sick burn.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
LMFAO what an odd jersey foul:

18ynxlbud77a1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SLAYER

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Oh look Seattle beating the Blues 4-0 after 2 periods … did the Blues play the night before in Vancouver?
Yup … Strange the last 8 games Seattle has play they only won 3 games and all 3 games the teams they beat played the night before in a different city.

The Jets used to get games on the 2nd half of a back to back coming in from Minnesota semi-frequently. It all balances out.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think that there are 10 b2b games involving the teams playing the Canucks and Kraken with the Kraken getting the second half of the b2b 7 times. I get it that b2b games are needed because of arena availability and other circumstances but the league should try an eliminate them.

NHL Owners: How about we add in an extra two games for every team?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
NHL Owners: How about we add in an extra two games for every team?
I think that's to balance the schedule. 28 games against divisional opponents (7x4), 24 against conference opponents (8x3), 32 against non conference opponents (16x2). Does seem strange that you play for top 3 in your division but end up playing the same amount of games vs. your conference opponents as vs. your division, at least for a couple teams (for us its Dallas this year, and someone else). I think it makes the schedule maker's job easier.

Extra revenue for the owners and players is probably a reason for that thought as well.

I don't mind expanding the season, as long as the NHL doesn't water down its playoffs with more teams. Have to think that 16 teams got in when it was a 21 team league, hasn't changed as a 32 team league, whereas football, baseball and basketball have all recently diluted their playoffs even more for the TV gods.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think that's to balance the schedule. 28 games against divisional opponents (7x4), 24 against conference opponents (8x3), 32 against non conference opponents (16x2). Does seem strange that you play for top 3 in your division but end up playing the same amount of games vs. your conference opponents as vs. your division, at least for a couple teams (for us its Dallas this year, and someone else). I think it makes the schedule maker's job easier.

Extra revenue for the owners and players is probably a reason for that thought as well.

I don't mind expanding the season, as long as the NHL doesn't water down its playoffs with more teams. Have to think that 16 teams got in when it was a 21 team league, hasn't changed as a 32 team league, whereas football, baseball and basketball have all recently diluted their playoffs even more for the TV gods.
I would much rather they reduce the season to get to that equity in schedule by division, conference etc. but you know that aint happening :)

Any team should not play more than 3 games a week. That would allow for travel and regular practice

It would also vastly improve the quality of the product.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would much rather they reduce the season to get to that equity in schedule by division, conference etc. but you know that aint happening :)

Any team should not play more than 3 games a week. That would allow for travel and regular practice

It would also vastly improve the quality of the product.
I don't mind the b2b games, I think it's a way to reduce travel, and it should balance out for everyone. Except that the Eastern Conference no matter what is guaranteed to change time zones only 16 times a year. 5 in 7 is a grind though, that's too much hockey for the players.

The Jets for the past two years have started off the season with a soft October schedule that gets heavier closer to Christmas. Maybe that needs to change first.

I still see this as a revenue grab, and I think that's maybe the only way to add revenues where non stop gambling ads, digital advertising on the rink boards, and the introduction of new jerseys hasn't created a significant enough revenue stream. Extra home game is at least a $1 million per team. except Arizona.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The Jets used to get games on the 2nd half of a back to back coming in from Minnesota semi-frequently. It all balances out.
No it doesn't balanced out.
I can give you numerous examples.
I first noticed it back in the Jets 1.0 era in the Gretkzy days. The Jets played in Edmonton a good game but lost a close one and the next day they would get blown out in Calgary. Come playoff time the Jets beat Calgary no problem when the Flames did not have an advantage.
Islanders went from 1st place to out of the playoffs in one year when the schedule makers switch Isles games before the Rangers when teams played B2B in NY.
More recently Canucks (2002-04) had an advantage when 40% of the home games (17) the visiting teams played the night before or was playing their 3rd game in 4 nights.
The NHL has improved the schedule a lot but are a few spots where a team gets an advantage.
I think they should schedule more games B2B where both teams play B2B like the Caps/Jets game on Friday ... both teams play the night before.

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Sometimes I wonder if teams try to save money by wanting more B2B games ... extra days for hotel and meals gets expensive.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The only appropriate B2Bs for me are between close regional rivals.

Like WPG and Minny should have a home and home series once a year on a Friday and Saturday.

Maybe both teams could also do a promotion where they sell an "away fans section" like they do in soccer - really make an event out of it.
Interesting idea but the proximity of cities in the East, like playing in New York City or Ottawa/Montreal, pretty much anywhere in the Eastern seaboard (minus Carolina, as even Florida with 2 teams is close) gives them an advantage. The Jets used to get a lot of back to backs with teams flying in from Minnesota, and I think that's a good one for winter wear and tear on some teams. Seattle/Vancouver, Calgary/Edmonton or L.A/Ana make some sense. If you are an outlier like Colorado or Dallas though, there's no short flights in, maybe St. Louis to Denver or Nashville to Dallas, but that's not the same as the travel schedule in the East by any means. I do agree with the previous poster that b2b's save on some costs for road trips, which is no small cost, with luxury hotels (excluding the Fairmont), and per diems.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Interesting idea but the proximity of cities in the East, like playing in New York City or Ottawa/Montreal, pretty much anywhere in the Eastern seaboard (minus Carolina, as even Florida with 2 teams is close) gives them an advantage. The Jets used to get a lot of back to backs with teams flying in from Minnesota, and I think that's a good one for winter wear and tear on some teams. Seattle/Vancouver, Calgary/Edmonton or L.A/Ana make some sense. If you are an outlier like Colorado or Dallas though, there's no short flights in, maybe St. Louis to Denver or Nashville to Dallas, but that's not the same as the travel schedule in the East by any means. I do agree with the previous poster that b2b's save on some hotel costs for road trips, which is no small cost, with luxury hotels (excluding the Fairmont), and per diems.

I don't get what you are even saying - I'm saying we should eliminate all B2B except for these "event" B2Bs. And Since you are playing the same team on...

OH - I see where you're missing me - The two back to backs would be between Minny and Winnipeg - Both games would include the same two teams.

I really hate the idea of B2Bs, and I would actually be really interested in seeing a hockey league that plays an NFL style schedule.

Reactions: kanadalainen

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Just out of curiousity, based on a claim I saw on the Panthers board (it's bad goaltending that is killing us), I did a check and if Bobrovsky's 19 games had been at his career .915 average instead of sub .900, they would have 11.4 less goals against. The thing is, that would still only be an average of ~4 more points in the standings. That would have them only tied for 8th-10th in their playoff race.

Even with above average goaltending, the team still seems to have a lot more problems. And maybe coaching isn't the biggest one in terms of impact. A team could, for instance, have the absolute worst 6-on-3 PK in the league and that won't add up to cost them a single game in a decade :P

But yeah. I ain't even gonna put that evil on us. I'm happy we got the coach we got and I'm still absolutely stunned the year is closing out with the Jets neck-and-neck for a division title.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Just out of curiousity, based on a claim I saw on the Panthers board (it's bad goaltending that is killing us), I did a check and if Bobrovsky's 19 games had been at his career .915 average instead of sub .900, they would have 11.4 less goals against. The thing is, that would still only be an average of ~4 more points in the standings. That would have them only tied for 8th-10th in their playoff race.

Even with above average goaltending, the team still seems to have a lot more problems. And maybe coaching isn't the biggest one in terms of impact. A team could, for instance, have the absolute worst 6-on-3 PK in the league and that won't add up to cost them a single game in a decade :P

But yeah. I ain't even gonna put that evil on us. I'm happy we got the coach we got and I'm still absolutely stunned the year is closing out with the Jets neck-and-neck for a division title.

It's why building around a Star goalie the past decade in the NHL hasn't been worth it.

The difference between a 0.920 (elite) and a 0.910-0.915 (average) wasn't worth the extra money you needed to pay for those few elite goalies.

Instead you should take that money and invest in players who would give you more goals than your goalie would save.

With average SV% dropping though, I think that calculation is changing.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
It's why building around a Star goalie the past decade in the NHL hasn't been worth it.

The difference between a 0.920 (elite) and a 0.910-0.915 (average) wasn't worth the extra money you needed to pay for those few elite goalies.

Instead you should take that money and invest in players who would give you more goals than your goalie would save.

With average SV% dropping though, I think that calculation is changing.
Yeah, the average SV% has continued to drop this year and the current league average is .905; not even 8 years ago it was .915

Makes me appreciate Bucky all the more this year. My god, after how many years of Pavelec far-below-average goaltending by degenerational talents, is it nice to have a goalie whose off years will be 'merely' 55th-60th percentile over most of the year?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 14.28.08.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 14.28.08.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 1

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yeah, the average SV% has continued to drop this year and the current league average is .905; not even 8 years ago it was .915

Makes me appreciate Bucky all the more this year. My god, after how many years of Pavelec far-below-average goaltending by degenerational talents, is it nice to have a goalie whose off years will be 'merely' 55th-60th percentile over most of the year?

And it's an even steeper drop off than it appears IIRC - I think around 2019 they started counting empty net goals in the Team SV% stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad