Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I was hoping someone would call me out on that. Jim Benning was such a bad GM that Allvin is being forced to make bad decisions because of the bad decisions Benning made. Though I suppose in a round about way you could really call Aquilini the worst GM in the league as its long been speculated he is the one making the calls.

Benning - the gift that keeps on giving (laughs for non-Canuck fans) :laugh:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Sorry for hijacking this -- any reason why we don't have an OT 'general chat' thread stickied like we used to?

I think it was un-stickied the same time as the "Trade Rumor and Free Agent" and "Around the League" threads.

I believe this is the most current version of the thread:

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
A crappy GM, colour me shocked like he was when he read on the internet that he was fired

1671744673860.png

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Guys I beg you to stop with the Maurice glee... the Jets are doing well, you don't want to invite any bad karma on the Jets by taking so much pleasure in the former coach's struggles.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Guys I beg you to stop with the Maurice glee... the Jets are doing well, you don't want to invite any bad karma on the Jets by taking so much pleasure in the former coach's struggles.
Mo did Jets a favor by quitting
Let be appreciative of that Maybe a few years too late but still was done. Chevy couldn’t pull the trigger and fire Mo even though the writing was on the wall that players stopped playing for the coach

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Apparently Gaudreau leaving was also in part about his wife's medical career. I believe Ladd's wife had the same issue (although I think she ended up being employed by TNSE in some capacity).

Canada needs to loosen up rules for medical practitioners with foreign credentials to be able to practice medicine. We keep hearing complaints about doctor/nurse shortage and long wait times yet there are thousands of immigrants who were doctors in their home countries forced to drive taxis and other jobs while the health care system here languishes. It's not just about hockey. Having resources that can help with the health care issues but not being able to use them due to outdated rules is one of the biggest failings of the system in this country.

This is a topic close to my heart.

Things did not noticeably improve between our arrival in Canada and our departure from it. But there are a fair few competing interests involved, and that's true of many countries and states / provinces, MB very much included.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Mo did Jets a favor by quitting
Let be appreciative of that Maybe a few years too late but still was done. Chevy couldn’t pull the trigger and fire Mo even though the writing was on the wall that players stopped playing for the coach
I have legit doubts that Maurice didn't have some comms with florida last season... trotz lost his taste and actually took a year off... MO ditched mid season and suddenly had a gig that 'intrigued' him what 50 games later... something stinks.

Reactions: Guardian17

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Apparently Gaudreau leaving was also in part about his wife's medical career. I believe Ladd's wife had the same issue (although I think she ended up being employed by TNSE in some capacity).

Canada needs to loosen up rules for medical practitioners with foreign credentials to be able to practice medicine. We keep hearing complaints about doctor/nurse shortage and long wait times yet there are thousands of immigrants who were doctors in their home countries forced to drive taxis and other jobs while the health care system here languishes. It's not just about hockey. Having resources that can help with the health care issues but not being able to use them due to outdated rules is one of the biggest failings of the system in this country.

Thousands of Drs driving taxis? Really?

Trouba's wife is a Naturopath, not recognized as a Dr in Canada - for good reason. Reducing the red tape involved in recognizing foreign trained medical professionals would be one thing. Lowering standards would be another thing entirely.

There is a world wide shortage of medical professionals. Do you really think the solution for Canada is to poach trained people from some other country which is already experiencing a severe shortage of trained medical professionals?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Trouba's wife is a Naturopath, not recognized as a Dr in Canada - for good reason. Reducing the red tape involved in recognizing foreign trained medical professionals would be one thing. Lowering standards would be another thing entirely.

There is a world wide shortage of medical professionals. Do you really think the solution for Canada is to poach trained people from some other country which is already experiencing a severe shortage of trained medical professionals?
She was in school to be an osteopath - in the US it's equivalent to a MD. Outside the US osteopathy means something different - more along the lines of naturopathy. But US DOs go to med school just like an MD and are recognized as physicians/surgeons by the AMA. It's not total quackery...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The brobovski contract is a yoke on that franchise for years

Makes me question the idea of giving helle big money and big term TBH. It's all fun and games until his play falls off a cliff. You can bury a shitty F contract on the 4th line. Can't do it with a tender

What really pushes that contract over the edge is the front loading and signing bonuses that make it difficult to buy out or trade with retention.

But, that said, they can bury a goalie contract on the bench as backup. Not ideal but equivalent to burying a bad F contract on the 4th line.

As it stands right now, Fla is ~5.5 mil into LTIR territory. Between reduced buyout costs and expired contracts they are going to have about 14 mil in cap space to work with next year, minus the 5.5 they are currently over, in spite of the Bobrovsky contract. That is only counting IR, LTIR and buyout space so that is not players who will need to be replaced. Not in bad shape cap wise and only 3 more years of Bobrovsky.

No doubt that contract will continue to hurt them, but they should be able to manage it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
She was in school to be an osteopath - in the US it's equivalent to a MD. Outside the US osteopathy means something different - more along the lines of naturopathy. But US DOs go to med school just like an MD and are recognized as physicians/surgeons by the AMA. It's not total quackery...

I stand corrected - and I knew she was trained differently than that type of 'Dr' would be in Canada - but the point stands. Reduce red tape. Do not lower standards.

I have known foreign trained Drs in Manitoba who have been extremely frustrated by the exam itself. The process was OK. But the exam they were required to take was a guessing game. I got the same story after they passed the exam and after they had failed it.

That was quite a few years ago. I don't know if that issue has been dealt with or not. That is the kind of thing that can be fixed without lowering standards.

I'm all in favour of getting qualified Drs out of the taxi business and if we can get some foreign trained Drs and nurses to help out, great. But poaching them from other countries that need them as badly or worse than we do can't be the solution.

A lot of nurses have quit the profession because they have been so badly treated and over-worked in our system. Treat them better and give them better working conditions and we will do better at retaining the ones we have. That would be a start, but we can't reduce their work-load until we get more of them. Catch-22.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

I have no source to back up the "thousands" claim just anecdotes and what I've seen in the media. I know two internationally trained medical professions both were so frustrated with the credentialing process that they gave up, one owns a restaurant of a fast food franchise and the other is a realtor. While both are fine professions it seems a waste considering the wait times to see doctors here.

No one is arguing for lowering standards, there is a middle ground between what we have right now where we can't get people to fill a desperate need due to red tape and allowing any quack to practice medicine.

We can't solve the entire world's problems. If people want to come here and have a skill that we desperately need, then I am not too worried about "poaching", that person presumably wants out anyways and is coming over by choice. If a medical professional from the Philippines, India or South Korea wants to leave their country they are probably going to do it anyways, I'd rather Canada use that help rather than Germany, Australia or the US.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have no source to back up the "thousands" claim just anecdotes and what I've seen in the media. I know two internationally trained medical professions both were so frustrated with the credentialing process that they gave up, one owns a restaurant of a fast food franchise and the other is a realtor. While both are fine professions it seems a waste considering the wait times to see doctors here.

No one is arguing for lowering standards, there is a middle ground between what we have right now where we can't get people to fill a desperate need due to red tape and allowing any quack to practice medicine.

We can't solve the entire world's problems. If people want to come here and have a skill that we desperately need, then I am not too worried about "poaching", that person presumably wants out anyways and is coming over by choice. If a medical professional from the Philippines, India or South Korea wants to leave their country they are probably going to do it anyways, I'd rather Canada use that help rather than Germany, Australia or the US.

The foreign Drs I knew eventually made it through. But even afterwards, they said that Manitoba exam was a joke. Some breezed through on the first try. Other equally competent Drs took 2-3 tries. I was told that many questions would have 2-3 equally correct answers. They had to guess which one the examiner wanted. Just in short form explanation of the problem with the test.

It is one thing to accept well qualified foreign medical professionals. It is another to actively recruit them.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
she wasn't officially a dr. she was going to school to become one. as an australian born american citizen, there was probably to many hoops to do that in Canada.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
she wasn't officially a dr. she was going to school to become one. as an australian born american citizen, there was probably to many hoops to do that in Canada.

And no school in Canada that offered an equivalent program to the one she was aiming for. Why she wanted to go down that path, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad