Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I suppose it was too much to ask both the Oilers and the Habs do us a favour and beat Dallas. They are free and clear in first place now. Need to regroup and heal up after Xmas to make a push.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I suppose it was too much to ask both the Oilers and the Habs do us a favour and beat Dallas. They are free and clear in first place now. Need to regroup and heal up after Xmas to make a push.
It's crazy to think that 1st is in reach but the Jets are 3 points ahead of being a wild card, with the two teams chasing them having games in hand. The Jets are 5 points from being outside the playoffs, though with a game in hand in this case. There's no time to let up, and I'm sure that's the message from Bowness. Getting healthy would help, as would other teams having to deal with the same thing as the Jets.

Reactions: Guardian17

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Might be a case of the GM outsmarting himself. I wonder if Brunette was his hire or Quenneville's? I'm guessing Quenneville's given that Brunette played for him.
If he was let go just because he wasn't Zito's guy then that has to be a massive indictment of Zito.
I generally liked alot of what Zito did from 2020-2021. But he erased it with the chiarot trade and Maurice. And Burnette was hired prior to Zito

Reactions: None

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's crazy to think that 1st is in reach but the Jets are 3 points ahead of being a wild card, with the two teams chasing them having games in hand. The Jets are 5 points from being outside the playoffs, though with a game in hand in this case. There's no time to let up, and I'm sure that's the message from Bowness. Getting healthy would help, as would other teams having to deal with the same thing as the Jets.
That's the problem with getting too excited too early in the season. Every team practically will have these down periods due to injury, schedule, or just 'malaise'. The key in my mind is to avoid it in the back half of the season. Colorado went through it early, and look to be coming back, as do the Wild.

I feel really encouraged as I feel a rested, healthy Jets team has the systems and structure in place to perservere and end up in the top 3 in the Central. We have 4 of our best players playing near peak ability in key positions.

Reactions: voyageur

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The solution is free education
"Free"?

I didn't realize professors donated their time

I hate to say it but why not train more MDs in Canada? I know of at least a few kids that have gone to Ireland to train and have come back and gotten some decent residencies.

The other thing you could do (I know it's crazy talk) is incentive being healthy. Our system isn't designed for the amount of chronic lifestyle diseases we see today.

Just read Roussin's 78 page report of health in Manitoba. It mentions "obesity" ONCE

To be more on topic....

I still find it hard to hate on Maurice because he's such a good guy (although maybe he'll be back at Rush Bay permanently in time to do lots of ice fishing). A guy like Bob Hartley though...

Reactions: FonRiesen

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
"Free"?

I hate to say it but why not train more MDs in Canada? I know of at least a few kids that have gone to Ireland to train and have come back and gotten some decent residencies.

The other thing you could do (I know it's crazy talk) is incentive being healthy. Our system isn't designed for the amount of chronic lifestyle diseases we see today.

Just read Roussin's 78 page report of health in Manitoba. It mentions "obesity" ONCE

To be more on topic....

I still find it hard to hate on Maurice because he's such a good guy (although maybe he'll be back at Rush Bay permanently in time to do lots of ice fishing). A guy like Bob Hartley though...
I mean I didn't think anyone would argue semantics.

The government should pay for higher education in needed fields. You could have a proviso that those graduates have to work in Canada for a certain amount of years.

It's a wise investment, and really the way that Canada can start addressing the healthcare shortage.

I do also think you should get tax credits for healthy living but it becomes pretty complicated to measure.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
View attachment 626278

Oof :laugh:
This guy still has cheer leaders on here some how tho

gold-jerry.gif

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I mean I didn't think anyone would argue semantics.

The government should pay for higher education in needed fields. You could have a proviso that those graduates have to work in Canada for a certain amount of years.

It's a wise investment, and really the way that Canada can start addressing the healthcare shortage.

I do also think you should get tax credits for healthy living but it becomes pretty complicated to measure.
My first act after becoming "All Powerful Ruler of the Universe" would to make a law that bans the words "free" and "government funded" and require "taxpayer funded" to be used instead.

Then I'd implement all of my ideas to fix healthcare. Having been both a patient and provider in the Canadian and American systems, I think I have it figured out

My next act would be to make it standard that all internet passwords had the same requirements (letter, number, uppercase, etc) so that you could use the same one everywhere

After that I'd proclaim via executive order that Paul Maurice be named to the lifetime position of "Coach of the Winnipeg Jets" just to watch HFJets burn

• Haha
Reactions: ps241 and Jet

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
My first act after becoming "All Powerful Ruler of the Universe" would to make a law that bans the words "free" and "government funded" and require "taxpayer funded" to be used instead.

Then I'd implement all of my ideas to fix healthcare. Having been both a patient and provider in the Canadian and American systems, I think I have it figured out

My next act would be to make it standard that all internet passwords had the same requirements (letter, number, uppercase, etc) so that you could use the same one everywhere

After that I'd proclaim via executive order that Paul Maurice be named to the lifetime position of "Coach of the Winnipeg Jets" just to watch HFJets burn
I want a taxpayer funded beer

Reactions: Duke749 and Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pretty sure she's an osteopath

Edit: I see gmoney beat me to it

Regardless, there needs to be a better way of credentialing foreign trained professionals

Yes, there does.
I don't know what the roadblock is specifically. Provincial Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons need to be addressing this issue.

Meanwhile, we lay people need to avoid overreacting to anecdotal 'evidence' from those who were unable to qualify and therefore are driving taxis.

Nurses have to pass the same provincial and national exams as the graduates of Canadian nursing schools. There are provisions for foreign trained nurses to upgrade or remediate their training to Canadian standards so that they can pass those exams. If they can't pass them, they are not qualified. Language can often be an issue.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder which happens first:
Bill Zito admits he made a mistake.
Or their ownership which is known to be pretty quick to interfere (for better or worse) makes the decision for him.

Between the Tkachuk trade and Maurice hire, it doesn't look too good for that GM either.

I mean, Treliving was pretty much forced to do something. Zito was not. Tkachuk is producing but he does not make them a better team than they were with Huberdeau and Weegar. And Flames got a 1st + a prospect as well. Zito overpayed.

The solution is free education

I think that is a separate topic. Right now, the number of applicants for both medical school and nursing school exceed the number of spaces available. Making it free won't increase the number of spaces.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Between the Tkachuk trade and Maurice hire, it doesn't look too good for that GM either.

I mean, Treliving was pretty much forced to do something. Zito was not. Tkachuk is producing but he does not make them a better team than they were with Huberdeau and Weegar. And Flames got a 1st + a prospect as well. Zito overpayed.

Yeah, trading Weegar was a mistake more than anything. I feel like he was treated as a throw-in because his ask was probably higher than the Panthers valued him. It's not too dissimilar to the Jets exposing Demelo, albeit at a higher consequence and value.

I think Huberdeau for Tkachuk was a wash on paper if you ignore age, and the given competitive windows of both teams I don't think Huberdeau's age is really a knock against his value. The human impact of swapping a player who wanted to be there more than anywhere else versus someone like Tkachuk who'd have gone to the highest bidder South of Minnesota is hard to measure.

I think it's a lesson in not making trades for the sake of making trades or a GM trying to put his mark on a team that was already competitive. It'd be like Dale Tallon looking at the 07-08 Blackhawks roster and trading Patrick Sharp for Erik Cole or Alex Steen or something.

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Incoming cybersecurity rant :laugh:

This is considered bad security practice to re-use the same password for every website. Because if one website is compromised by a security breach, then you become exposed everywhere.

Hackers have huge databases filled with login information contained from past breaches (often times sold on the dark web), which are then used to automatically log-in to various online banking and credit card portals. If they get any hits, then they know which ones can be accessed and then funds are stolen. Email addresses are also used to generate phishing emails as well.

One of the best security measures an individual can use is an offline password manager, to store randomly generated passwords, each unique to a particular website. That way, one compromised website won't grant access to other websites.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, trading Weegar was a mistake more than anything. I feel like he was treated as a throw-in because his ask was probably higher than the Panthers valued him. It's not too dissimilar to the Jets exposing Demelo, albeit at a higher consequence and value.

I think Huberdeau for Tkachuk was a wash on paper if you ignore age, and the given competitive windows of both teams I don't think Huberdeau's age is really a knock against his value. The human impact of swapping a player who wanted to be there more than anywhere else versus someone like Tkachuk who'd have gone to the highest bidder South of Minnesota is hard to measure.

I think it's a lesson in not making trades for the sake of making trades or a GM trying to put his mark on a team that was already competitive. It'd be like Dale Tallon looking at the 07-08 Blackhawks roster and trading Patrick Sharp for Erik Cole or Alex Steen or something.

Because of the age it is Huberdeau + for Tkachuk. Not H +++, just H +. Schwindel was enough of a plus, especially considering that Treliving had his back to the wall. If you lose out because someone else offered more, so be it. You don't win the trade by overpaying because someone else was going to overpay.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
"Free"?

To be more on topic....

Great post.

The other problem with training more doctors is there's no way to force them to work in Canada.

I have a friend who I went to school with at the UofM.

Became a cardiologist and moved to Florida.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This is considered bad security practice to re-use the same password for every website. Because if one website is compromised by a security breach, then you become exposed everywhere.

Hackers have huge databases filled with login information contained from past breaches (often times sold on the dark web), which are then used to automatically log-in to various online banking and credit card portals. If they get any hits, then they know which ones can be accessed and then funds are stolen. Email addresses are also used to generate phishing emails as well.

One of the best security measures an individual can use is an offline password manager, to store randomly generated passwords, each unique to a particular website. That way, one compromised website won't grant access to other websites.

So ........... tell us George, just what is it you do for a living? :laugh: And no, I won't tell you my mother's maiden name. :laugh:

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
So ........... tell us George, just what is it you do for a living? :laugh: And no, I won't tell you my mother's maiden name. :laugh:

Let's just say I'm in the technological industry with some hard learned lessons on cybersecurity on a personal level :laugh:

Since Lee is the most common surname in the world (according to Sheldon Cooper), I'm going to guess that as your mother's maiden name :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Let's just say I'm in the technological industry with some hard learned lessons on cybersecurity on a personal level :laugh:

Since Lee is the most common surname in the world (according to Sheldon Cooper), I'm going to guess that as your mother's maiden name :laugh:

Not even close. Look for the least common surname and you might get close. But be sure to spell it the right way.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

I hate how lackadaisical industries are with their security. There's no goddamn reason a company that's primary use is password management gets their database hacked and hash data stolen. THAT'S YOUR ONE f***ING JOB, LASTPASS.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Hey I get it. But as an old man I can't even remember if I've locked the door after I leave my house most days.

I'll look into the offline password manager. Do.you have any recommendations?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The east has been v good so far this year. top-3 teams and 4/5 of the top-5, 7/10 of the top-10.

Stars/Jets/Avs/Wild will look to be a dog-fight to close the year.

think i had it avs, wild, jets/stars (kind of unsure who was the better team w/ new coaches) prior to the year. STL has been crap who i had up there and NSH honestly hardly follow these days.

1671920959858.png

Reactions: kanadalainen

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Hey I get it. But as an old man I can't even remember if I've locked the door after I leave my house most days.

I'll look into the offline password manager. Do.you have any recommendations?

The one I use is called Revelation, which is free but I think it's only available on Linux. I'm not familiar with Windows options, but the ones that I do know of you have to pay for.

The VPN service I use is called NordVPN, and they do have a NordPass application, and I have been happy with their VPN service. But you would have to pay.

If you are computer savvy, there's always the option to run a virtual machine (which is effectively running a computer within a computer), then you could install Linux-based password managers which there's a few free ones. Plus there's free software to run a virtual machine, like VMWare and VirtualBox, so setting it up won't cost anything.

Finally, doing a quick search came up with a list of free options, but I can't vouch for how good any of them are: The Best Free Password Managers for 2022

EDIT: One trick I sometimes tell people is to create pass-phrases, that are easy to remember but are pseudo-random. For example, if you wanted a unique password for HFBoards, and you're a jets fan, you can create a sentence, something like

"At Least The Winnipeg Jets Are Not The Leafs"

then make it all one word, and replace some letters with special characters and numbers:

Replace first a with @
Replace first e with 3
Replace first i with !

"@tL3astTheW!nnipegJetsAreNotTheLeafs"

This approach does require a good memory, and the longer the sentence and/or the more substitutions you make, the better the pass-phrase is; it's even better if you can incorporate numbers into the original sentence.

And no, the above is not a password I use anywhere :laugh:

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The one I use is called Revelation, which is free but I think it's only available on Linux. I'm not familiar with Windows options, but the ones that I do know of you have to pay for.

The VPN service I use is called NordVPN, and they do have a NordPass application, and I have been happy with their VPN service. But you would have to pay.

If you are computer savvy, there's always the option to run a virtual machine (which is effectively running a computer within a computer), then you could install Linux-based password managers which there's a few free ones. Plus there's free software to run a virtual machine, like VMWare and VirtualBox, so setting it up won't cost anything.

Finally, doing a quick search came up with a list of free options, but I can't vouch for how good any of them are: The Best Free Password Managers for 2022

EDIT: One trick I sometimes tell people is to create pass-phrases, that are easy to remember but are pseudo-random. For example, if you wanted a unique password for HFBoards, and you're a jets fan, you can create a sentence, something like

"At Least The Winnipeg Jets Are Not The Leafs"

then make it all one word, and replace some letters with special characters and numbers:

Replace first a with @
Replace first e with 3
Replace first i with !

"@tL3astTheW!nnipegJetsAreNotTheLeafs"

This approach does require a good memory, and the longer the sentence and/or the more substitutions you make, the better the pass-phrase is; it's even better if you can incorporate numbers into the original sentence.

And no, the above is not a password I use anywhere :laugh:
Thanks for spending the time ot do that for us geezers lol

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Another tip esp relevant to HF users is to esp not use your HF password anywhere else. IIRC even as late as a few years ago this website used to be over plain HTTP with no TLS even for the login page so very possible your password is in the Wild if you ever used it over a sketchy public wifi network.

I doubt anyone would care much if their HF account got hacked but could be trouble if you are reusing it for something important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad