Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was in favour of bigger nets a couple of years ago. The adjustments to goalie equipment they made seems to have helped.

I certainly understand the argument for keeping the nets consistent with the past, but even ignoring the massive size of the average goalie these days, I think the size and weight of goalie equipment would justify a small change to net size.

As I recall, weight used to be a real consideration. Goalies had to balance increased size of pads against the increased weight of leather stuffed with horse hair. Too much weight affected their agility.

Then factor in 5'9 goalies vs 6'4 goalies and the space to shoot at is a lot smaller than it used to be.

I don't see a change to net size on the horizon though. It is a pretty big step. Scoring is up without that so the push for change has gone away.

Edit: Better reffing would help a lot of things. Reffing is tough, but some flaws seem to be built in, like game management.

If they just called more penalties scoring would go up. PP opps is up to 6.60 per game and scoring is at 6.32 goals per game. But the major thing right now is PP % is 22.61% per game, highest mark since 1983.

Call more penalties and teams convert on more penalties and all the sudden you have players on pace for 150 points. Funny how that works.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
dude works for tsn so was probably told not not randomly talk shit about teams citys
Na, he didnt have prime Erik Karlsson to hold his hand, so he looked so lost, I think he was suppose to talk about Regina..

Reactions: None

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If they just called more penalties scoring would go up. PP opps is up to 6.60 per game and scoring is at 6.32 goals per game. But the major thing right now is PP % is 22.61% per game, highest mark since 1983.

Call more penalties and teams convert on more penalties and all the sudden you have players on pace for 150 points. Funny how that works.

Yes, but just calling more penalties is not necessarily better reffing. If it remains inconsistent and unpredictable it is just more penalties. If the reffing actually gets better players will learn what gets called and the number of penalties will go back down. Scoring at 5v5 might go up though, if there is less clutch and grab/interference, etc.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Not only that, but the infractions that cause the penalties will go down, so the hooking, holding, interference type stuff which will allow the best players to be their best

None

Feb 22, 2012
Looks like Methot deleted his Tweet, what a wussy. If you're gonna roast the city, at least stand by it.

Well with a shit take about local businesses followed up by looking like an absolute man-child complaining about the static on his hotel sheets it wouldn't surprise me if he can't take people calling him out on it.

To me it's less about defending the honour of the city, we've heard it all and it's a colder take than the mercury reads today. To me it's more about him shitting on local businesses.

Methot was probably too much of a pissant to travel further than across the street from the hotel to the Tim's and declared everything about the restaurants in the area shit.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well with a shit take about local businesses followed up by looking like an absolute man-child complaining about the static on his hotel sheets it wouldn't surprise me if he can't take people calling him out on it.

To me it's less about defending the honour of the city, we've heard it all and it's a colder take than the mercury reads today. To me it's more about him shitting on local businesses.

Methot was probably too much of a pissant to travel further than across the street from the hotel to the Tim's and declared everything about the restaurants in the area shit.
Yeah, restaurants was a weird complaint, tbh.

I went to see Barenaked Ladies last week (the band, that is), and they said they always enjoyed coming here specifically because of the restaurant scene.

The crime, cold, and whiney r/Winnipeg redditors suck, but don’t you say a bad thing about the restaurants!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah it's Gretz followed by Lemieux, Orr and Howe for me. Only player that can possibly challenge that top 4 right now is McDavid and he's certainly putting on a good show.

Good chance he ends up with around 850 points in 556 games by the end of this season, breaking into the top 150 all time in only 8 season. Pretty good chance he hits the 1000 point range by the time he's 27 and break into the top 100 all time. By the time he's 28-29 he's likely knocking on the door of the top 50.

After this year he will likely have his ;
5th Ross - Tied for 3rd most after Gretz (10), Howe (6), Espo (5), Jagr (5)
4th Lindsay - Tied for 2nd most with Lemieux after Gretz who has 5.
3rd Hart - Tied for 4th most after Gretz (9), Howe (6) and Shore (4)

And may add his 1st Rocket which will prove that he can just will himeself to a goal scoring title if he so chooses.
He still needs to get himself at least 1 Cup and at least a Smythe to put himself into the conversation to make it a top 5. Whether he does it with the Oilers or not who knows but he's likely gotta get at least one.
I still like pointing out that Bobby Orr's Bruins never beat Jean Beliveau's Habs in the playoffs (3X). When Beliveau retired he was #2 in league scoring behind Howe, and that was mostly the Original Six era in which there were no bad goalies. A few crazy ones who didn't wear masks, but the talent level was equal for the most part (maybe the Quebec rule gave the Canadiens an advantage in that era, a Bruins fan will defeintely tell you that).

I wonder how you compare Mc David vs. Crosby. Crosby has a good chance of finishing in the top 10 in points all time, as does Ovechkin. Mc David will probably get there at the end, but he's never won anything at the highest level except hardware. In a team game that's not necessarily a knock though, I think Jarome Iginla was one of the best of his era, but didn't have the team to win, or at least instant replay on his side when he needed it most.

Reactions: Daximus

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Say what you will, but he's not wrong (about the Fairmont). The new TNSE complex + hotel can't come fast enough.

Can't help the weather, though. Gotta toughen up a bit if you're gonna hang in this city.
Fairmont not stepping up their game and providing better rooms/amenities is a current reflection of the Winnipeg hotel market imo. There is little pressure on them to improve with the limited number of decent 4 star hotel options in this city. Yes, that new hotel can't come fast enough and hopefully it will force Fairmont to improve their hotel in Winnipeg...and hopefully we see another 4 star hotel arrive in the city soon after. The metro area will be approaching a million in the next decade. There is no reason Winnipeg shouldn't have a few more attractive hotel options.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still like pointing out that Bobby Orr's Bruins never beat Jean Beliveau's Habs in the playoffs (3X). When Beliveau retired he was #2 in league scoring behind Howe, and that was mostly the Original Six era in which there were no bad goalies. A few crazy ones who didn't wear masks, but the talent level was equal for the most part (maybe the Quebec rule gave the Canadiens an advantage in that era, a Bruins fan will defeintely tell you that).

I wonder how you compare Mc David vs. Crosby. Crosby has a good chance of finishing in the top 10 in points all time, as does Ovechkin. Mc David will probably get there at the end, but he's never won anything at the highest level except hardware. In a team game that's not necessarily a knock though, I think Jarome Iginla was one of the best of his era, but didn't have the team to win, or at least instant replay on his side when he needed it most.

It's getting tougher and tougher to win a cup. 32 teams, salary cap, only 16 teams make the playoffs, 82 game regular season, gruelling travel schedules, You essentially have to eat, sleep and breath hockey to stay on top of your game. Constantly training and getting better. It's just really damn hard to win a championship in this sport and it's only getting harder as time goes on. Certainly a lot more difficult than the 06 era. We are likely going to see more and more great players retire without ever sniffing a Cup. Iggy, Lundqvist, Thornton, Marleau, the Sedins, Weber, Burns, Karlsson. The list is gonna be really long of great players in their era that just won't be able to get it done. But in order to be seen at the tippy top McDavid is likely going to need at least 1.

Crosby likely goes down as a top 10 player all time.

That list likely looks something like.

Gretz, Lemieux, Orr, Howe and then probably some order of Hull, Jagr, Beliveau, Roy, Harvey, Richard, Hasek, Shore, Borque, Lidstrom, Messier, Morenz, Potvin, Plante, Lafleur, Nighbor, Makita, Crosby and Ovechkin to round out the top 10. Of course some will miss out there but I think generally those are the guys that would be in the running.

If and it's a big if, McDavid continues on the trajectory he is on and wins at least a Cup I think there's a chance he makes it a big 5 instead of the big 4 it currently is. Most would agree there's basically 4 players who stand above the rest where there is no shadow of a doubt they are better than the rest of the field. Crosby and Ovi both had great careers so far but they really don't have an argument there. McDavid is really the only player currently playing that has a shot to put his name in that field. McDavid is kind of bar none the best player of his era so far. Crosby and Ovi always had to contend with each other.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's getting tougher and tougher to win a cup. 32 teams, salary cap, only 16 teams make the playoffs, 82 game regular season, gruelling travel schedules, You essentially have to eat, sleep and breath hockey to stay on top of your game. Constantly training and getting better. It's just really damn hard to win a championship in this sport and it's only getting harder as time goes on. Certainly a lot more difficult than the 06 era. We are likely going to see more and more great players retire without ever sniffing a Cup. Iggy, Lundqvist, Thornton, Marleau, the Sedins, Weber, Burns, Karlsson. The list is gonna be really long of great players in their era that just won't be able to get it done. But in order to be seen at the tippy top McDavid is likely going to need at least 1.

Crosby likely goes down as a top 10 player all time.

That list likely looks something like.

Gretz, Lemieux, Orr, Howe and then probably some order of Hull, Jagr, Beliveau, Roy, Harvey, Richard, Hasek, Shore, Borque, Lidstrom, Messier, Morenz, Potvin, Plante, Lafleur, Nighbor, Makita, Crosby and Ovechkin to round out the top 10. Of course some will miss out there but I think generally those are the guys that would be in the running. McDavid is kind of bar none the best player of his era so far. Crosby and Ovi always had to contend with each other.

If and it's a big if, McDavid continues on the trajectory he is on and wins at least a Cup I think there's a chance he makes it a big 5 instead of the big 4 it currently is. Most would agree there's basically 4 players who stand above the rest where there is no shadow of a doubt they are better than the rest of the field. Crosby and Ovi both had great careers so far but they really don't have an argument there. McDavid is really the only player currently playing that has a shot to put his name in that field.

McDavid is essentially Crosby but unlike Sid has managed to stay healthy through his peak and not had to contend with another generational talent in Ovie and a quasi one in Malkin.

If you look at there numbers they are almost even at the same points in their careers. There adjusted numbers are pretty much dead even as well.

What will be truly interesting is if McDavid can age as well as Crosby has. Crosby has managed to stay elite through his mid 30's. Given McDavid game is largely dependent on his explosiveness I am not as sure he will be as good when he losses a atepmor two.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I haven’t checked on it for a while, but I didn’t realize how poorly the Kotkaniemi RFA steal is working out for Carolina. Seven points in 31 games while making $4.82 for the next seven seasons after this one. Yes, he’s only 22. Yes, he could get better. But still, yikes, man.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
McDavid is essentially Crosby but unlike Sid has managed to stay healthy through his peak and not had to contend with another generational talent in Ovie and a quasi one in Malkin.

If you look at there numbers they are almost even at the same points in their careers. There adjusted numbers are pretty much dead even as well.

What will be truly interesting is if McDavid can age as well as Crosby has. Crosby has managed to stay elite through his mid 30's. Given McDavid game is largely dependent on his explosiveness I am not as sure he will be as good when he losses a atepmor two.
Why wouldn’t McD be able to age well? As you said he is essentially Crosby. McD has that step that he can rely on he is also extremely creative and has a high enough IQ to adjust his game as he needs to.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Sorry, but I don't mind the visiting teams hate coming to Winnipeg. Give 'em poor wi-fi, poor rooms, thin walls, bad food, static sheets, loud doors ( well don't slam them ) , poor weather, etc.... Hell, make it like the Russians treated the Canadians in '72.

It just means we are in their heads, and they hate being here before they even step on the ice. And if the Jets play like they can, the visitors will hate it even more.
100%. Canadian soccer has a hell of a time travelling to central america for games because they make it rough. Why treat them nice. Oops, sorry the heat doesnt seem to be working, and sorry about the marching band practicing in the hallways.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Yeah, I’m always impressed with how Crosby has aged. Dude is very likely to hit an 18th-consecutive season at over PPG and is still one of the game’s best players at 35. His hockey sense and IQ is several tiers ahead of McDavid which is insane because McDavid’s hockey sense is beyond elite too. McDavid is such a force because he’s a freak athlete, one of the best skaters the league has ever seen, and has all the tools to go with the toolset. He’s a freak AND he’s smart. He’ll still be productive from his IQ as he ages but I don’t think he’s as smart as Crosby.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I hope they make him apologize. Not because of the remarks, but because it would be funny to see him forced to do it.
I think it's an unwritten rule that only Winnipeggers can talk shit about Winnipeg. Maybe if you poll players anonymously. He'll just go down as another down East guy who hasn't been through a hard winter.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That's really interesting. Down here in Florida, it's the opposite. When I play with that age group it's all about puck hogging, dangling and shooting. The hockey iq, anticipation and team play is really lacking
As Dax mentionned above, it seems like USA Hockey may be pulling ahead with regards to producing creative, offensively minded players. Even Crosby was once labeled "the most skilled gender in NHL history".

It's also interesting to note that they went to smaller areas for the younger kids before we did. I was on a minor hockey board when the change to half ice for novice came into effect and it was nuts to see the opposition to it. As a result, kids get more puck touches and and develop better puck protection and evasion skills because there's more close contact.

I think the fact that we saw Sid and Geno get it done means that it's possible to build a team around two players commanding a healthy amount of the cap.

Sid and Geno combined for 29.27% of the cap when they signed,
McDavid and Drai are combined for 28% of the cap when they signed.

What has really put a wrench in McDavid's chances there is the fact that cap stagnated due to covid. The team is terrible at drafting and they were horribly mismanaged by bad signings and bad trades because they hired a bunch of idiots to run the show.

The Oilers will never trade McDavid I don't think unless he just refuses to re-sign in 2026 and they ship him at the deadline hoping to recoup some assets. But all in all I think if he doesn't get it done there or at least sniff the finals by 2026 he's likely as good as gone and he'll try his luck somewhere else.
I think having Fleury helped the Pens a ton too. Edmonton goalies barely tread water at their best

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah it's kind of interesting because Crosby by age 26 had played 550 games and McDavid, if healthy, by the end of this season will have played 569 games. McDavid has been relatively healthy as well but just starting his career one year later than Sid and losing out on the Covid season time has lined him up as only going to be playing another 19 games by the same age.

Though Sid had 274 goals and 769 points by that time and it's pretty likely on his current pace that McDavid will be somewhere around 300 goals and 850 points. So despite playing only 19 more games if healthy for the rest of the season McDavid will have around 30 more goals and around 100 more points. So he's even ahead of Sid by quite a bit at the same age.

McDavid's game does rely pretty heavily on his speed and explosiveness but he's also incredibly smart so we'll have to wait and see just how much of his game is affected by age. It's a much different time than it was even 20 years ago. Injuries that killed other speedy guys careers like Bure and Orr are now much easier to treat and recover from.

I think having Fleury helped the Pens a ton too. Edmonton goalies barely tread water at their best

Not only Fleury but also Letang. Having an elite D and a goalie capable of carrying the team helps a tonne.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah it's kind of interesting because Crosby by age 26 had played 550 games and McDavid, if healthy, by the end of this season will have played 569 games. McDavid has been relatively healthy as well but just starting his career one year later than Sid and losing out on the Covid season time has lined him up as only going to be playing another 19 games by the same age.

Though Sid had 274 goals and 769 points by that time and it's pretty likely on his current pace that McDavid will be somewhere around 300 goals and 850 points. So despite playing only 19 more games if healthy for the rest of the season McDavid will have around 30 more goals and around 100 more points. So he's even ahead of Sid by quite a bit at the same age.

McDavid's game does rely pretty heavily on his speed and explosiveness but he's also incredibly smart so we'll have to wait and see just how much of his game is affected by age. It's a much different time than it was even 20 years ago. Injuries that killed other speedy guys careers like Bure and Orr are now much easier to treat and recover from.

Not only Fleury but also Letang. Having an elite D and a goalie capable of carrying the team helps a tonne.
McDavid probably has many steps to lose before he becomes even nhl average at speed. The thing that puts McDavids speed and agility over everyone is his puck handling/skills, and decision making at those speeds and elusive skating. Ppl talking about his IQ not being strong are full of it. I don't think he's going to lose high end decision making or IQ just bc he's older or slower. There's players in their mid 30s that are nearly ppg players (Pavelski, wheeler for instance), and I think McDavid's physical abilities, along with scoring (both finishing and play making) , and offensive IQ ahead of both examples at similar ages. Injuries of course plays a big part of every players longevity. I also beleive he's the type to not rest on his laurels and improve his game and id say he already aha.

Reactions: Daximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad