The leafs on Prime Monday night

horner

May 22, 2007
I don't know about you but iam really pissed off about this.
Leaf Nation gives enough money to the NHL . Now they it feels like Prime is holding us hostage to get the subscription

i DONT NEED MORE TV FOR ONE GAME and spend more money.
I feel sorry for people on a fixed income that can't afford all of this crap.

Rogers just spent billions and billions of dollars to buy MLSE but they allow a streaming to steal a game from them .
I feel like this is just the beginning.

I could see Prime using there fee to watch playoff hockey

If another games is on Prime I will be dumping rogers internet cell and cable.

Will sign up for Prime , sportsner and tsn on my fire stick and getting a cheaper internet service.

Rogers is the loser in all of this , they are a stupid organization.

Sorry for the rant but this really pissed me off.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Crap another nhln game in US. I dont get that with espn plus and hulu.

Why is there no way to get nhln legally on its own. Will need for world juniors too.

Cable wars...

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Leafs are also on Prime the following Monday Oct 28th, and 3 more games this season. Personally I love it, so sick of Rogers’ garbage coverage. And based on last week’s Pit-Mtl game on Prime, I find the Prime broadcast much higher quality. But I already have Prime. If I had to pay more to get what I used to get, I would feel like you do for sure.

horner

May 22, 2007
Leafs are also on Prime the following Monday Oct 28th, and 3 more games this season. Personally I love it, so sick of Rogers’ garbage coverage. And based on last week’s Pit-Mtl game on Prime, I find the Prime broadcast much higher quality. But I already have Prime. If I had to pay more to get what I used to get, I would feel like you do for sure.
If that is the case I will be dumping Rogers.
TSN is the best game coverage.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Pretty lame if it's not on Sportsnet or TSN as well, but, if that's the case and you don't have Prime, it's very likely you are eligable for the free 1 month membership which you can cancel immediately after signing up so it's actually free.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
I have no idea how to watch Leafs games anymore, so I just don't bother.
I refuse to get cable/satellite. So that leaves me with streaming only.
When I check sportsnet, it says some games are blacked out.
There's not a chance in hell I'm paying for a service to have blacked out games.
I also don't know how many games I would get.

So instead I use illegal streams. They usually work, but not always. I miss more games than I watch these days because I find it too difficult to watch.

The NFL is so easy. DAZN has every single game.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced the NHL should just stream the games themselves on NHL.com.

Charge a buck a game for casual fans wanting a pay per view option. Offer packages for people who watch more. A hundred bucks for a couple hundred games.

A few hundred bucks for five hundred games.

Something like that might work. Tell the networks to shove it. Pocket all the money themselves.

Nobody watches the games on cable anymore anyway.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It can't be that hard to broadcast the thing themselves. I'm pretty sure the NHL can afford a couple ex-players to talk about the game during intermission and maybe do some play by play during action.

Build the NHL.com platform into a full scale hockey media empire.

Reactions: bax and horner

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced the NHL should just stream the games themselves on NHL.com.

Charge a buck a game for casual fans wanting a pay per view option. Offer packages for people who watch more. A hundred bucks for a couple hundred games.

Something like that might work. Tell the networks to shove it. Pocket all the money themselves.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It can't be that hard to broadcast the thing themselves. I'm pretty sure the NHL can afford a couple ex-players to talk about the game during intermission and maybe do some play by play during action.

Well that’s a pipe dream, being able to watch every single leaf game for 82 bucks seems like 1980’s pricing

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I don't think the NHL is really "out there" for that type of 1-off revenue.

The play with Amazon is fairly obvious. You have these 2 giant companies (Netflix & Prime) competing to be the "Go to" for the North American public. They're happy to give the NHL a bunch of money because it means introducing / forcing new subscribers into their ecosystem.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I have no idea how to watch Leafs games anymore, so I just don't bother.
I refuse to get cable/satellite. So that leaves me with streaming only.
When I check sportsnet, it says some games are blacked out.
There's not a chance in hell I'm paying for a service to have blacked out games.
I also don't know how many games I would get.

So instead I use illegal streams. They usually work, but not always. I miss more games than I watch these days because I find it too difficult to watch.

The NFL is so easy. DAZN has every single game.

100% brother.

Until they can figure their shit together and get all of their games on one channel, or from one streaming source, I'll continue to use my alternative methods to view games.

Ideally, I'd be able to be a subscriber on torontomapleleafs.com, and for a flat fee, I'd have access to all Marlies and Leafs live games, as well as having on demand option for previous games-why can't that exist?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
allow a streaming to steal a game from them?

Rogers sold these games to Amazon
Exactly, trying to recoup some of the losses the are facing from the absurd amount they paid for the national rights in Canada. This is 100% a Rogers decision. While I agree it sucks, the broadcast quality looks top notch.

Also, get ready for more of this when the next national rights are settled. I bet there will be multiple national rights holders for specific nights, including exclusive streaming broadcasts like this years Monday nights.

Reactions: OddyOh

horner

May 22, 2007

The NHL is to stupid

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't know about you but iam really pissed off about this.
Leaf Nation gives enough money to the NHL . Now they it feels like Prime is holding us hostage to get the subscription

i DONT NEED MORE TV FOR ONE GAME and spend more money.
I feel sorry for people on a fixed income that can't afford all of this crap.

Rogers just spent billions and billions of dollars to buy MLSE but they allow a streaming to steal a game from them .
I feel like this is just the beginning.

I could see Prime using there fee to watch playoff hockey

If another games is on Prime I will be dumping rogers internet cell and cable.

Will sign up for Prime , sportsner and tsn on my fire stick and getting a cheaper internet service.

Rogers is the loser in all of this , they are a stupid organization.

Sorry for the rant but this really pissed me off.

They likely sold the game to Prime. Prime is testing the waters. Rogers is going to form a large sports company and take it public. Probably not bid on the NHL again and let Prime have them.

I will go for and most people here will as well because most people have Prime anyways . Basically I would rather Leafs on my Prime subscription than anything else.

horner

May 22, 2007

A few hundred bucks for f
Exactly, trying to recoup some of the losses the are facing from the absurd amount they paid for the national rights in Canada. This is 100% a Rogers decision. While I agree it sucks, the broadcast quality looks top notch.

Also, get ready for more of this when the next national rights are settled. I bet there will be multiple national rights holders for specific nights, including exclusive streaming broadcasts like this years Monday nights.

ive hundred games.

This is how dumb rogers is they are f***ing with th wrong hockey fans leaf Nation.

If iam am thinking of dumping rogers for this , I won't be the only one.

If the Leafs ever make it to the Stanley Cup finals rogers will sell it to prime to make a ton of money and prime will nail our ass $$$$$.
That is my fear.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They likely sold the game to Prime. Prime is testing the waters. Rogers is going to form a large sports company and take it public. Probably not bid on the NHL again and let Prime have them.

I will go for and most people here will as well because most people have Prime anyways . Basically I would rather Leafs on my Prime subscription than anything else.
Roger's sold their Monday night national games for the last two years of thei national contract to Amazon. Prime Canada is also airng a NHL look-in show on Thursday nights at 7 ET.

Reactions: wingman75

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Is it just on regular prime or one of their add on subscriptions?
Regular prime, and the picture quality looks like 4K, best quality I’ve seen too date, including TSN and Sportsnets 4K channels, that show hockey games.

Last edited:
Reactions: peconcan

Sammy Kat

Jun 14, 2021
Sorry but I am not going to explode and make threats or anything ike that over a couple of regular season games.
I actually didn't even bother watching all regular season games the last few years since they don't mean much,especially when it comes to the Leafs.
Now if playoffs start that crap then it will be time to fight but until then I will watch Monday Night Football which I would probab;y do anyway.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm the same way. I no longer need to watch reg season all the time. It's playoffs or bust. Leaf fans are always squeezed but guess what? Watch the highlights, who cares? I'm not paying more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad