Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
what's the record for blown 2 goal leads in 1 season? I think vancouver might be close to it already...

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Weird disallowed goal in Vancouver tonight as the puck rimmed around the glass hit a protruding camera lens knocking a piece onto the ice. Of course the Knights scored cause Demko can't stop a beachball but the Canucks challenged.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I do not want to see the Panthers tank. Do not want the Habs to get another low pick.

Paul Maurice's strategies may auto-tank them. Look at the Blue Jackets loss. People were pointing to the Panther's 90+ shot attempts and 50 shots on goal. But expected goals were 3.5 for the Panthers. 3.5 expected goals on 90+ shot attempts is laughable and is the PoMo strategy to just shoot always from anywhere. Don't worry about executing a hockey play. The Panthers have a ton of talent. Ultimately, I don't think that even a suck coach like Maurice can keep them out of the post season. But so far, he is doing his best at it.

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
Paul Maurice's strategies may auto-tank them. Look at the Blue Jackets loss. People were pointing to the Panther's 90+ shot attempts and 50 shots on goal. But expected goals were 3.5 for the Panthers. 3.5 expected goals on 90+ shot attempts is laughable and is the PoMo strategy to just shoot always from anywhere. Don't worry about executing a hockey play. The Panthers have a ton of talent. Ultimately, I don't think that even a suck coach like Maurice can keep them out of the post season. But so far, he is doing his best at it.
Not sure where you get that Paul Maurice had a shoot always from anywhere strategy. I found watching the Jets over the years they were often outshot but were opportunistic in cashing in on their chances. This seems to be the first year where we are actually outshooting opponents. This is all anecdotal as I don't have the data to back this but I don't ever recall the Jets being a team that shoots from anywhere. They were always quite selective in their shot choices.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Not sure where you get that Paul Maurice had a shoot always from anywhere strategy. I found watching the Jets over the years they were often outshot but were opportunistic in cashing in on their chances. This seems to be the first year where we are actually outshooting opponents. This is all anecdotal as I don't have the data to back this but I don't ever recall the Jets being a team that shoots from anywhere. They were always quite selective in their shot choices.
Either that was the strategy against Columbus, or the team isn't following the coach's strategy.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Central this month by pts% has 4 top 10 teams, and Nashville at 12th.
It's crazy that we're only sitting in a playoff spot by 3 points (with games in hand).

To me goal differential is a better indication of how a team is doing than points. At +9 I think we're actually maybe better than that but it puts us in the top 1/3 of the league. Boston at +40 is insane. What the f*** are they doing over there lol?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Did you watch the game (honest question, I didn't)?

The problem with xG is how whoever is doing the stats at the game classified shots. 32 different arenas in the NHL have different people who have their own opinions.

Last year I had to volunteer as a time keeper at my daughter's tournament. One of my responsibilities was tracking shots (not attempts or quality of shots or attempts - actual shots). Being an ol ex-goalie, anything that she touched that changed direction was a shot. They ended up like 40-35 or something

Next game I did I wasn't required to track shots bit was in the box with the guy that did. He was WAY more stingy with how classification of what construed a "shot". They ended up like 22-18.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If you are just looking at the last three years if his tenure here then yeah he wasn't running anything like he is for the Panthers. But if you go back to when he first started here 14-15 he is running something very similar to what he ran for us then.

Maurice likes hard aggressive straight line hockey and he's got the type of forward core in Florida with Barkov, Tkachuk, Bennett etc that fits his philosophy to a tee. So yes he's having them play direct hockey with lots of pucks to the net with his players crashing for rebounds. Not at all dissimilar to our pack of wolves days here when he had that big and aggressive forward core. They have generated more then enough quality looks that with better finishing and better tending they have a handful more wins in the standings.

We maintained a high degree of competivness cumulative with 17-18 where he modified his aggressive style to include a cycle component to open shots for our one shot scorers. That is probably the only time I saw him make a very meaningful and smart adjustment to his schemes.

Since then though it almost seems like he didn't feel comfortable running that with our dcore and didn't seem comfortable going back to the 2014/15 scheme either. I think he tried to last year but by that point it was too far gone with him and the players.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Did you watch the game (honest question, I didn't)?

The problem with xG is how whoever is doing the stats at the game classified shots. 32 different arenas in the NHL have different people who have their own opinions.

Last year I had to volunteer as a time keeper at my daughter's tournament. One of my responsibilities was tracking shots (not attempts or quality of shots or attempts - actual shots). Being an ol ex-goalie, anything that she touched that changed direction was a shot. They ended up like 40-35 or something

Next game I did I wasn't required to track shots bit was in the box with the guy that did. He was WAY more stingy with how classification of what construed a "shot". They ended up like 22-18.
Hey Buffdog. Yeah, I saw a good chunk of the game on the regional sports broadcast channel down here, I think it's called Bally Sports Florida. I agree with you that the xG is to a certain extent subjective. I can tell you that from what I saw of the game, the Panthers had much more of the play, took a ton of shots from low danger areas and corsi'd the hell out of the Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets won the special teams battle, took advantage of neutral zone turnovers by the Panthers and capitalized on some really bad defensive lapses.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Hey Buffdog. Yeah, I saw a good chunk of the game on the regional sports broadcast channel down here, I think it's called Bally Sports Florida. I agree with you that the xG is to a certain extent subjective. I can tell you that from what I saw of the game, the Panthers had much more of the play, took a ton of shots from low danger areas and corsi'd the hell out of the Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets won the special teams battle, took advantage of neutral zone turnovers by the Panthers and capitalized on some really bad defensive lapses.
Fair enough, I just wasn't sure

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's crazy that we're only sitting in a playoff spot by 3 points (with games in hand).

To me goal differential is a better indication of how a team is doing than points. At +9 I think we're actually maybe better than that but it puts us in the top 1/3 of the league. Boston at +40 is insane. What the f*** are they doing over there lol?
Peaking too early! :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Paul Maurice: Corsi Chaser :sarcasm:

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Leafs lose another top dmen long term. Maybe now is the time to try to fleece them for one of our surplus guys.
Always time is good to fleece the leafs. Part of any trade would be leafs GM reading a prepared statement that the “Jets fleeced us ” just to shut up the HNIC/SN panel

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Jets legend Zachary Sanford on waivers

Ah, the memories. I saw him play myself once.

What I like to call the Eakin Spot on the Jets' Big Bench of Legends. A sort of moveable feast of exhausted journeymen and once-weres notable for the occasional decent play, and for spilling the odd lockerroom tea.

A shot, a block, a connecting pass -- and then disappearing into the mist of lost picks and waiver wires, glimpsed only briefly as they whiff on an open net in a 3rd period somewhere in Tempe... or Basel.... or North Bay...

Godspeed, you pointless acquisition, you.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wonder if Buffalo would trade Thompson for Toninado? Ok we can add a 4th round pick too.:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad